• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayons

Banned
Is that it?

2NSb8dm.png

That's funny, because you only have 6 games on Steam.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Japanese style or themed games don't deter her. She just wants a good story. Either with the feels or just a captivating story.

Will try out all the suggestions. She's currently playing psychonaughts for the first time ever haha. Pretty funny to watch.

Has anyone suggested Dear Ester?

DirtRiver

I think more importantly we should be looking at the average amount of dollars we're spending per game. At close to 400 euros spent in 255 games, each game comes out with a cost of approximately 1.6 euros.

This, ladies and gentleman, is why people love Steam.

gabbo

This is my first Steam sale. Since it began, I've spent a total of USD 123.40.

How am I doing, SteamGAF?

And thanks to everyone who recommended YNAB! This should help in the next week
not bloody likely

From a gaming standpoint, you've got a ways to go. $123.40 is weak.
My inner self is saying you'll probably never play those games/budget better.

Prophane33

No, that was me, and I broke it doing some code for the other part of ModBot unrelated to giveaways. Unfortunately and in part out of necessity I'm working with live ammo here. The bot has code to basically self-heal if I break something in the code (everything is done as modules, modules reload periodically and keep reloading if they detect a code error) but it's not perfect.

That being said, I've fixed it now and it still isn't sending you the PM and I'm not seeing any record of it. Do you want to wait 2 or 3 minutes and send the same PM again? Thanks.

That is freakin' sick. Makes me wish I went into coding instead of academia.

catabarez

No, that was me, and I broke it doing some code for the other part of ModBot unrelated to giveaways. Unfortunately and in part out of necessity I'm working with live ammo here. The bot has code to basically self-heal if I break something in the code (everything is done as modules, modules reload periodically and keep reloading if they detect a code error) but it's not perfect.

That being said, I've fixed it now and it still isn't sending you the PM and I'm not seeing any record of it. Do you want to wait 2 or 3 minutes and send the same PM again? Thanks.

Will do.

I'm actually on my phone lol. Just give it to the next person who got it instead.

Haha alright

earthbound?!

You win! Steam info?

mneuro

Bought my first game this sale...System Shock 2. It was too tempting at that price, and I've never played it before...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That is freakin' sick. Makes me wish I went into coding instead of academia.

You can do both, I'm living proof (I'm a social sciences graduate student writing a thesis right now--I did a CS degree before I got into the social sciences but mostly I just learned to code as a hobby). I know a lot more people that did the opposite route, school or grad school in arts, humanities, social sciences -> engineering/CS to get a job, but there are a few like me out there.

73V3N

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Japanese style or themed games don't deter her. She just wants a good story. Either with the feels or just a captivating story.

Will try out all the suggestions. She's currently playing psychonaughts for the first time ever haha. Pretty funny to watch.

It's japanese but the story in 999 is awesome.

I just went back and checked the OP but didn't see any info about it - but can someone point me in the direction of something that details this whole trading card thing I hear everyone buzzing about? Thanks!

Odrion

Banned
It's a sci-fi FPS with heavy RPG and horror elements, and one of the first great FPS games that emphasized atmosphere, environment, backstory, and text. In many ways, it presaged some of the major changes in FPS games today: we now expect an FPS to have characters, to have lore (often delivered in the form of audio diaries), to have politics or social issues, to have RPG elements or progression, to have different playstyles.
What's even more amazing is that System Shock 1 had many of these same features and it came out only a couple of months after Doom fucking 2. Like someone had a divine vision of games 20 years into the future.

Unfortunately, similar to the cassandra complex, their vision fell on deaf ears and only like five dudes bought the game. :p

Torraz

You can do both, I'm living proof (I'm a social sciences graduate student writing a thesis right now--I did a CS degree before I got into the social sciences but mostly I just learned to code as a hobby). I know a lot more people that did the opposite route, school or grad school in arts, humanities, social sciences -> engineering/CS to get a job, but there are a few like me out there.

Any suggestions / links on teaching oneself how to code? Currently using coursera / codecademy.

Prophane33

Ah, I'm horrible at math. I'm currently a grad student in English. I'm too old to even think about doing ANOTHER degree (30). Especially since I'm perfectly happy being a literature professor (if I can find a job!). Still, CS is an interesting field (I actually started my BA in CS before almost failing out of university due to Math).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just went back and checked the OP but didn't see any info about it - but can someone point me in the direction of something that details this whole trading card thing I hear everyone buzzing about? Thanks!

QHfe703.png

Links to:
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

Which also links to:
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/

yim6TZA.png

Links to:
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/summerfaq/

Any suggestions / links on teaching oneself how to code? Currently using coursera / codecademy.

In terms of free online stuff you're not going to do better than them for formal instruction, but the best instruction is just having a small, attainable project in your head and doing that project and keeping at it. And then when you hit a wall where you don't know how to do something, Google it. And you pick up stuff as you go.

Copons

It's japanese but the story in 999 is awesome.

Its only problem lies in replayability.
While it's necessary if you want to understand the whole story, it's annoying having to press B for litterally dozens of minutes to skip over already read texts.
Also, there are no hints at all suggesting when you have to change a choice to fork the plot, so, if you want to complete it without having the same endings multiple times, you inevitably need to follow a guide.

This said, it has a great story and puzzles aren't that hard, so it always remains enjoyable and even relaxing.

The_Monk

Ok I just saw the Video in the Store for the You Need a Budget and I really think it could be a really good thing. I'm serious fellow GAFfers.

Hmmm...

DayZ standalone is supposed to be around $15, right? I was kind of hoping to have enough left over after the sales to buy it without procuring more wallet funds, but I'm down to $25 and still want to buy Natural Selection 2 and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

BigDug13

So Sleeping Dogs was a "community pick" right? I missed that 8 hour block. But community picks can still end up as daily deals, right? I just want to snatch up some of the campaign DLC at some point as I already own the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom