• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

I'll ask again: anyone know when Metro Last Light got cards? I didn't think it supported them until this morning when I saw the game in my Badges page.

You can do both, I'm living proof (I'm a social sciences graduate student writing a thesis right now--I did a CS degree before I got into the social sciences but mostly I just learned to code as a hobby). I know a lot more people that did the opposite route, school or grad school in arts, humanities, social sciences -> engineering/CS to get a job, but there are a few like me out there.

Yeah I majored in Biology/Philosophy before getting my MBA and learned to code later just for something fun to do. It's definitely possible to approach from nearly any direction.

Grief.exe

I will say that is you consider yourself a lowest common denominator gamer, IE you enjoy games that have very simple mechanics and controls, then System Shock 2 probably isn't for you.

The entire game is very obtuse. It doesn't tell you exactly what to do or give you an arrow showing you where to go.
There are a finite amount of resources and a variety of ways to build your character, some of which will not be viable for an inexperienced player.

Its one of my favorite games of all time, but just warning people who only play games like Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Call of Duty, etc.

DayZ standalone is supposed to be around $15, right? I was kind of hoping to have enough left over after the sales to buy it without procuring more wallet funds, but I'm down to $25 and still want to buy Natural Selection 2 and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

It will probably be $20-$25.

Nothing has been confirmed though.

Prophane33

I will say that is you consider yourself a lowest common denominator gamer, IE you enjoy games that have very simple mechanics and controls, then System Shock 2 probably isn't for you.

The entire game is very obtuse. It doesn't tell you exactly what to do or give you an arrow showing you where to go.
There are a finite amount of resources and a variety of ways to build your character, some of which will not be viable for an inexperienced player.

Its one of my favorite games of all time, but just warning people who only play games like Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Call of Duty, etc.

That's the way games used to be, and we liked it.

masterkajo

DayZ standalone is supposed to be around $15, right? I was kind of hoping to have enough left over after the sales to buy it without procuring more wallet funds, but I'm down to $25 and still want to buy Natural Selection 2 and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

But still no news on when it actually hits, right? I am keeping money on the side just for this. From what I understood it could come out any day (probably after the summer sale when they feel like they have enough content).

73V3N

Banned
Its only problem lies in replayability.
While it's necessary if you want to understand the whole story, it's annoying having to press B for litterally dozens of minutes to skip over already read texts.
Also, there are no hints at all suggesting when you have to change a choice to fork the plot, so, if you want to complete it without having the same endings multiple times, you inevitably need to follow a guide.

This said, it has a great story and puzzles aren't that hard, so it always remains enjoyable and even relaxing.

True. agree with all that.
I think the iOS version fixes some of those things... while taking out all the puzzles haha.

I would buy 999 and VLR again if they were on steam, I guess is more possible that Ever17 will be on steam than the Zero Escape series.

Turfster

What's even more amazing is that System Shock 1 had many of these same features and it came out only a couple of months after Doom fucking 2. Like someone had a divine vision of games 20 years into the future.

Unfortunately, similar to the cassandra complex, their vision fell on deaf ears and only like five dudes bought the game. :p

Yeah, SS1 was amazing for its time. The story still holds up, sadly, the fake lookup/down with sprites doesn't all that well anymore.

My boxed copy is still on a shelf. =p

You're welcome. ;)
It gets better after you get through your first sale, trust me.
When the next one rolls around, you'll be all "okay, I spent a beeljon dollars on the last sale and own pretty much everything I want. I can wait for the things I don't have yet to drop below 10$"

Thanks :) although it's not the expense so much but the time I will need to play all these games! I should play more instead of posting on here I guess :(.

bigace33

Mars War Logs is a decent pick up for $9. It seems like a cross between Rage and the Witcher 2. Played it for a bit last night and was really impressed as this is supposed to be from a very small team.

QHfe703.png

Links to:
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

Which also links to:
http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/

yim6TZA.png

Links to:
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/summerfaq/

In terms of free online stuff you're not going to do better than them for formal instruction, but the best instruction is just having a small, attainable project in your head and doing that project and keeping at it. And then when you hit a wall where you don't know how to do something, Google it. And you pick up stuff as you go.

Thanks so much. That was really a great and informative post!

Now for a dumb question, how do I let multiple games idle at the same time? I can bring up the steam overlay with Shift+Tab - but how do I return to my desktop proper?

Freezard

I can't believe I got Tomb Raider Underworld for 0.80€... what a steal. I had actually removed it from my wishlist a while ago because I didn't think the price back then was worth it, since I didn't like Legend (but loved Anniversary). Now at least I will give Underworld a go and hopefully it's more puzzle oriented than Legend.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What are the chances of Ys going back on sale and Dust going on the daily/flash sales?

My $17 wont be able to get em 3 unless the cards my friend its selling for me manage to do something decent to at least get one of them.

liezryou

What are the chances of Ys going back on sale and Dust going on the daily/flash sales?

My $17 wont be able to get em 3 unless the cards my friend its selling for me manage to do something decent to at least get one of them.

I surely hope so, i missed it as well :(.

You should find a 5 cent game

It's a nice number as it is! 0 to 4. Not in that order, of course, but still.
And I'm up to 138.41 now

You only do it right if you buy games and don't play them

Well, most of my purchases are in gift limbo, so...

From a gaming standpoint, you've got a ways to go. $123.40 is weak.
My inner self is saying you'll probably never play those games/budget better.

I only bought games I am sure I will play
is what I keep telling myself
. Also bought some things for ModBot to have fun with.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Every game is going to have cards. Valve got sick of people not valuing their products and not launching them. Now that EXE will be clicked on for immense idling.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, I was looking at the community votes...

Saw deadlight, went: Yeah, that's that sidescroller. It seems ok for that price. I'll vote for that.

Vote for it.

Double checks the Library...

I already own it.

Oops?

Oh well, suppose I'll pick up a $50 wallet card when Skullgirls goes up, make sure I have enough for both.

So, I was looking at the community votes...

Saw deadlight, went: Yeah, that's that sidescroller. It seems ok for that price. I'll vote for that.

Vote for it.

Double checks the Library...

I already own it.

Oops?

So far there hasn't been a single community choice besides ss2 I didn't already own. I'm just voting for the cards at this point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okie dokie. No idea what happened there but something was choking up.

If you sent ModBot a giveaway PM since ~55 minutes ago, please re-send. If you sent ModBot a claim PM since ~55 minutes ago and the item is still not claimed (and you read the rules and aren't applying for anything you're not eligible for), re-send. If you sent ModBot a loot queue PM since ~55 minutes ago, please re-send.

catabarez, you should be good to go. I sent a test giveaway and had no problem getting my receipt there.

Log:
Code:
GA: Heartbeat	10:20:07.605000
GA: Added to loot queue: Kipp	10:20:08.006000
GA: Begin loot queue payout to Kipp	10:20:08.012000
GA: Loot queue: Posted	10:20:08.918000
GA: Heartbeat End: Loot Queue	10:20:09.001000
GA: Heartbeat	10:20:42.607000
GA: Heartbeat	10:21:17.609000
GA: Heartbeat	10:21:52.611000
GA: Heartbeat	10:22:27.613000
GA: Heartbeat	10:23:02.615000