• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refyref

Anyone buy Receiver? It had looked like an interesting time waster, but I'm reluctant even at $2.99.

I've got it for a long time already. It doesn't have too much content, but I find the gun handling a very interesting thing that everyone should experience. So if you want to try an interesting take on FPS mechanics, you should really get it.

yamo

lowHCEd.jpg

The first game I have bought on Steam was last summer, at the Summer Sale. All of my other games were from boxed copies / bundles. According to Steam, I have 387 games and 151 dlcs.

How do I check this?

Curious, why do so many people use a steam wallet and talk about balances? Do they not have a credit card?

Honestly curious because steam being wired to my credit card makes purchasing almost one-click simple and obviously means I don't have to worry about maintaining a balance in my steam wallet (which seems like a huge stressor for lots of the posters here)

With multiple purchases during the sales a credit card can end up blocked when they suspect fraudulent activity. Happens to people all the time.

Curious, why do so many people use a steam wallet and talk about balances? Do they not have a credit card?

Honestly curious because steam being wired to my credit card makes purchasing almost one-click simple and obviously means I don't have to worry about maintaining a balance in my steam wallet (which seems like a huge stressor for lots of the posters here)

Visa/MC Banks commonly place blocks on repetitive small purchases in rapid succession to Steam during these sales in a LOT of locations.

Razorskin

----- ------

In my case, I just wanted to get rid of an EB Games giftcard.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seemingly still not working for me. :/
Or I did something wrong.

Fixed and you should see stuff propagate through now, it was a glitch with the loot queue thing. 100% solved now, guaranteed.

Code:
... (no processing)
GA: Heartbeat	11:40:28.879000
GA: Heartbeat	11:41:03.881000
GA: Heartbeat	11:41:38.883000
GA: Heartbeat	11:42:13.885000
GA: Heartbeat	11:42:48.887000
GA: Heartbeat	11:43:23.891000
GA: Heartbeat	11:43:58.894000
GA: Heartbeat	11:44:33.896000
GA: Heartbeat	11:45:08.917000
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Maiger for B661E7BDF1F8485D	11:45:09.334000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request kadab for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:09.425000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Aitor for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:09.627000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Wok for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:09.826000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request rainking187 for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:10.008000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request liezryou for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:10.202000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Nabs for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:10.382000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request alr1ght for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:10.648000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Kipp for BA31EA97F5FB538B	11:45:10.835000
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request DeadlyVirus for 43410F842AE7A017	11:45:11.058000
etc
GA: Giveaway Process: Starting new giveaway add pm	11:45:14.942000
GA: Giveaway process: new giveaway created by Overdoziz	11:45:15.290000
GA: Giveaway Process: Sent setup PM to giver Overdoziz	11:45:16.070000
etc

why arent we using steamgifts?

You are totally welcome to use Steamgifts. Which requires registration to another site for both you and the receivers and is much slower than using a method built on GAF itself (despite momentary hiccups with the code during the low period of the day during beta testing). I think most people would prefer this for that reason--and that's why 1350 games have been given away in the last week alone through ModBot. But you can use Steamgifts all you want.

Some may have gotten money from item sales. If they do it goes straight to the wallet.

lmpaler

Voted for Mark of the Ninja, but Orcs and Deadlight looked good too. Probably the most difficult vote I've made this sale so far. System Shock was a no brainer even though I own it

Toki767

Does Modbot keep track of how many times someone has won a game? Would be interesting to see like a list of shame at the end of this.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Every time I go to sell a card.
iIkm1WFCKnhTX.png

I just, I can't do it, I'd feel a fool as soon as the sale was over.
That said, Summer cards gonna skyrocket, all of a sudden I don't care for that badge.

Prophane33

Yes! Thanks to selling cards I was able to get all 3 games I wanted during this sale. Now to just save up that wallet money for impulse buys.

derExperte

Do you guys recommend I pull the trigger on Civ 5? My laptop can't play anything but I might be getting a Macook Pro sometime in the near future. Do you guys think it will play on it just fine?

Not a daily or flash deal right now. So no (don't know about the Mac part).

RetroMG

Because it lets me say, "This is the amount of money I am prepared to spend on Steam games during this sale. When the money runs out, it's time to stop buying."

That's the theory, anyway.

Is the thread usually this slow on weekends? I'm gone for a few minutes and it's still the same page when I get back!

Or is everyone else waiting for the next Dailies/Flash and we're just the hardcore GAF crowd?

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zeno Clash -- MB-F0674B98C69053E0 - Taken by Accent

Hope this works.

Crayons

Banned

If you go and charge $5 here $2 there etc the bank gets suspicious.

No offense, but the numerous posts on how much you've spent on Steam is just as bad as the "look at the list of games I've bought!"

Why not just post your Steam levels now or your favorite badges?

I am going to start hoarding the summer cards to see how high they can go weeks after the sale, but I bet they will still drop, somehow, if they don't then yea, these are going to skyrocket.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yes and we have asked stump to post it, he doesn't wanna :(.

I've posted it once or twice but I'm not out to name and shame people. The throttle now prevents abuse by the top group of people and blocking features make it easy to block people who are apparent abusers so I feel OK with the status quo.

I usually use PayPal, but if I have money in my wallet from selling stuff on the market, I'll use that first.

Crayons

Banned
I've posted it once or twice but I'm not out to name and shame people. The throttle now prevents abuse by the top group of people and blocking features make it easy to block people who are apparent abusers so I feel OK with the status quo.

But that goes against America's puritan values.

For me, no credit card or paypal, only can use Steam Wallet cards for $$

Plus it acts as a budgeting technique

liezryou

I wanna get shamed so badly.

EDIT: Ok WOW that came out wrong.

Turfster

It's a way of limiting your budget.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Alright, now that ModBot2 finally sent me the key, I'd like to thank the anonymous benefactor who gave away Adventures of Shuggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom