• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Steams arrogance putting You Need Budget on a flash sale. They know not even the best budget planning in the world will stop us from giving Gaben money.

Most people vote probably like...

Uh, 3,75€ okee...nice.... Mark of the Ninja, cool game!

Let's see...

Uh, 3,75€ again...not bad! Orcs Must Die 2 ... heard only good things!

Meh...Deadlight.... THREE BUCKS, GUYS!!! THREE BUCKS!!!

*vote*

+ it has zombies. You can't beat zombies for 3 bucks.

Copons

So a G'n'G-like / rogue-like where when you die you pass your perks and stuff to your son that is good at nothing except farting in yo mansion.

I'm too old for a G'n'G, but I really dig the build your castle stuff...
Dunno, dunno, too many games, too few hours to play them. I need to sleep, also.

Turfster

How painful is it to play this day in age though? I find it's often hard to go back and play older games just because of how poorly they've aged.

I don't find it painful at all, and it has aged beautifully. The models are low poly and the textures are low res, but some of these can be remedied with user patches. The gameplay stillstands like mount Everest though.

Of course, if you're used to linear corridor shooters with walls, then yeah, it might be hard.

Yuterald

pondering on rpg maker >.>

Anyone wanna sell me on it?

Quoting myself from a few pages back:

I love RPG Maker. I've been making a game with my brother for over a year now. You've got to be pretty dedicated if you want to actually produce something though. It's fun to throw ideas around and create a few maps/events here and there, but when you get down to creating a database, making events, scripting a game, and balancing everything, it's quite overwhelming. I couldn't imagine seriously making something on my own. Fortunately, my brother and I are good at doing different things so I work on one side and he takes care of another side of development. It's a really user friendly tool set too, if you sit down with it and take the time to learn the program that is.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So a G'n'G-like / rogue-like where when you die you pass your perks and stuff to your son that is good at nothing except farting in yo mansion.

I'm too old for a G'n'G, but I really dig the build your castle stuff...
Dunno, dunno, too many games, too few hours to play them. I need to sleep, also.

Rogue Legacy is fucking amazing.

And it's not building your castle it's pretty much just a skill tree. As you pick something a piece of your castle builds. So yeah, just a skill tree.

Mark is too mainstream. :(
image.php

Copons

Rogue Legacy is fucking amazing.

And it's not building your castle it's pretty much just a skill tree. As you pick something a piece of your castle builds. So yeah, just a skill tree.

Ah, seems I got wrong the one thing I truly liked... :D

Well, the fact is, I'm worried I'm gonna get the same amount of frustration caused by my slow reflexes as Cave Story or stuff like that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Should I buy Fez or not?

I don't like giving whiny children money.

Fez is a neat game. It starts off as a forgiving, imprecise and slow platformer with some very basic puzzles. But you find this increasingly vibrant world that makes it more like an adventure game. It's not a Metroidvania per se but you constantly hit walls that you can't necessarily figure out how to surpass, so you sort of spiderweb your way through the world map until you find a new clue or piece of info that helps you retroactively solve others. And then you beat the game...

But there's a lot more to it than that. After you beat the game there's tons more to do, and you haven't really beaten the game. Many puzzles require much more investment than that. Some rely on your real time. Some rely on codebreaking skills. Some rely on learning a new language--two, actually!. And then you beat the game again and it's :O :O :O holy fuck. It's an adventure game. It's not a platformer. Platforming is such a minor element.

And the plot, well it's not really a plot as much as it is a world that you seek to understand, is very intelligent. Fish and anyone who helped design it clearly did their reading and the game evokes a number of literary works that ponder the nature of dimensions, of space, of perception. Flatland most prominently (Flatland is out of copyright, if you haven't read it you should, it's free.)

I will say one thing... Fez is very satisfying when you figure stuff out and maybe a little dull if you look up the solutions and just do them. So if you are a compulsive FAQer, skip the game or bite down on your urge to do that. If you reach something you can't figure out, go do something else--chances are you're not meant to figure it out yet. Learn how to use the map system, look for rooms where you think you can do something. Don't ask questions to anyone. Take notes like an old adventure game.

And if your completion percentage is less than
203%
, keep playing. There are a few puzzles beyond that point but one of them is literally impossible to solve on your own and the other is asinine to the extreme. Neither are required for cubes
or anti-cubes
DOUBLE SPOILER THAT YOU SHOULDN'T READ UNTIL YOU ATTAIN THE COMPLETION PERCENTAGE MENTIONED EARLIER IN PARAGRAPH:
both lead to red heart cubes

And yeah Phil really needs to learn to be a nicer more empathetic person who controls himself better. Those traits don't contribute to the quality of the game he made, they just make him look and act poorly. It is a great game, a special game, and to me feels like the culmination of everything Indies have tried from Cave Story onwards. A real love letter.

With the way these Steam votes have gone it's starting to make me question reality.

Is System Shock 2 actually bad? How did that ever win with the way Steam's majority votes?

Zozobra

Is Fez a game I could get through without a guide? I'd like to experience it and I'm not too concerned about getting all the secrets.

Xater

Seriously I just about got burned paying for it before I played it at a buddy's place.

I dont understand the praise.

What praise? I mean the 360 version sits at 68 on Metacritic. The press didn't like it very much and i don#t know anyone else who liked it.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
So, are all of you ready to buy Kerbal Space Program at whatever price and then take 3 months to learn how to achieve orbit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom