• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHK3

Banned
Alright I finally got SS2 to work! Now to play this ga-

"Turn Camera Left - A
Turn Camera Right - D"

I changed it to the 'Slide' thing which is basically walk, anyway to make myself move faster when moving left or right?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
PSdKVUz.jpg

I love a strong stallion.

Zeliard

I'd take it easy with the mods your first time through SS2, though. I'd recommend keeping it relatively close to the vanilla offering (I don't personally modify the game much even on replays).

Here's another good mod guide:

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1

I'd install the ones he lists (like SHTUP) that only affect texture resolution or music quality, and ignore all the others for a first playthrough.

ascully

"Turn Camera Left - A
Turn Camera Right - D"

I changed it to the 'Slide' thing which is basically walk, anyway to make myself move faster when moving left or right?

You can load the profile standard FPS controls in the settings.

Tenrius

If you guys have reservations, than grab the base game at $2.50.

Pick up the DLC during another sale if you feel inclined.

I usually operate around the fact that the vast majority of DLC is not worth your time or money. I know some of the fallout 3 DLC is decent though.

It's just that I don't think I'll play it until autumn at least and it's bound to get a discount during the Halloween sale or later on. The price is good enough though and I do consider myself a fan of the first two games.

Fox Mulder

I usually operate around the fact that the vast majority of DLC is not worth your time or money. I know some of the fallout 3 DLC is decent though.

That's what I did. I can play the hell out of the game and do mods, and get dlc if I want more.

Broken Steel was really the only fallout 3 DLC worth a damn, as it opens the game back up past the main quest line. I thought the rest were awful.

Grief.exe

It's just that I don't think I'll play it until autumn at least and it's bound to get a discount during the Halloween sale or later on. The price is good enough though and I do consider myself a fan of the first two games.

Outside of a mistake, the price will probably never get lower than this so it doesn't matter.

Mordeccai

I'd take it easy with the mods your first time through SS2, though. I'd recommend keeping it relatively close to the vanilla offering (I don't personally modify the game much even on replays).

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1

I'd install the ones he lists (like SHTUP) that only affect texture resolution or music quality, and ignore all the others for a first playthrough.

Cheers! All I'm looking to do is throw a slightly newer looking coat of paint on the game, not really introduce any new weapons or mechanics or anything.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
SHTUP is pretty good.

Yeah, game looks good once you get it in widescreen and with HD textures. I wouldn't fuck around with too many mods, though. All the character model updates I've seen have been horrible. I was impressed enough with how it looked after applying SHTUP, Four Hundred, and Vurt's Space. I used this guide on GOG to get it all working.
EDIT: I was beaten in posting the GOG link. Mine is different, but the same info.
Is Doom 3 BFG edition horrible on the PC?

I'm playing this as my first experience with Doom 3. Loving it. Downsampled a bit and it looks pretty damn good. I watched some videos of the original version and BFG definitely isn't quite as dark, but it's not enough to bother me. It isn't really a scary game, so I don't mind that the shadows aren't always pitch black. I do wish it had an option to not do the duct tape mod, though. There are sections that would be way more exciting having to choose between a light or a gun.

El Odio

Banned

I enjoy the first three DLCs (Yes, even OA) back when I had it on 360. My issue is whether or not I see myself getting around to playing it anytime soon and the next time the price will be that low.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If anyone wants to trade Portal 2 for Bad Rats, I'm down. Even if the video game called "Portal 2" is terrible, I already 10 or more copies of Bad Rats.

Tenrius

Should I the game "Portal 2"? Does anyone know if the game "Portal 2" is a good game?

The game "<insert the requested game's name here>" is totally "<insert an opinion about the requested game here>", you should definitely "<insert a recommended course of action here>".

Chanser

I already own Fallout: New Vegas, but don't own the DLC. It seems the individual DLC is more expensive than the ultimate edition, so I buy the ultimate edition right?

FACE

Banned
I'm playing this as my first experience with Doom 3. Loving it. Downsampled a bit and it looks pretty damn good. I watched some videos of the original version and BFG definitely isn't quite as dark, but it's not enough to bother me. It isn't really a scary game, so I don't mind that the shadows aren't always pitch black. I do wish it had an option to not do the duct tape mod, though. There are sections that would be way more exciting having to choose between a light or a gun.

I think most mods aren't compatible with the BFG edition.

Grief.exe

"Turn Camera Left - A
Turn Camera Right - D"

You have to switch A and D to another option to get typical strafe FPS movement.

You may have figured it out, i forget the term they use.

The PC gaming wiki mod guide only lists texture mods and maybe one gameplay tweak.

Ignore gameplay changes for your first play through just texture mods that keep consistent with the game's style.

dream

God, my dumb ass just spent more buying all the Fallout New Vegas DLC piecemeal than if I had just bought the ultimate edition bundle.

Tenrius

Damn you guys sure un-sold me on the game. I can understand that maybe they went to a more action oriented design, but I cant understand why they would take out the sandbox elements.

It's not that they removed them completely, there are still a few levels resembling the old sandboxes, if smaller in scale, but there's an abundance of regular stealth action levels, mostly "get from point A to point B without dying" stuff. You're also not doing actual hit jobs, it detracts from the experience, too. The story in general is bad.

Man if Remember Me hit $20 or below, I would get it for sure!

Anyways getting Fallout:NV Ultimate and maybe Doom 3.

Is Doom 3 port any good guys?

BTW if you are an RTS fan I recommend Shogun 2 for that price. Or you can get the complete version for $12.50.

I have played Oblivion/Fallout 3 but didn't like em :( But perhaps NV is a bit more modern or faster paced? The beginning of F3 was just so slow and then when I got out I had no idea where to actually go lol.

I'm not sure how you'd define more modern design, or even faster pacing, but I've got a feeling that New Vegas is not the game for you.

The game's biggest fans tend to be those people who prefer role-playing in the more traditional Western sense and who, kind of, get in character for the game and, y'know, try to play the role. If you're into slow, immersive experiences you might well enjoy it, but if you tend to favour RPGs where you can whizz through a story whilst the numbers go up and you quickly becoming a real badass, you'll probably find it horribly frustrating.

(For clarity: I'm NOT trying to be derogatory about the latter sort of RPG; I'm just saying that they tend to scratch a different sort of itch)

In my library I have "Fallout: New Vegas" listed when I go to the Ultimate version's store page it says I already own the game. The trouble is it doesn't list it as being the ultimate version in my library. Is that normal or do I just have the basic version?

If I don't already have it I'd like the dlc :(

/firstworldsteamproblems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom