• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjord

This is why I hate steam. All I wanted to buy was Tomb Raider, but then they tempt the entire Tomb Raider collection in front of me for an extra $5. Are the other games worth it?

As someone who hasn't played them, they look like they're from a genre that has had a heck of a lot of improvement over the past 10 years and left them dated.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
iVbofpTOPK7fg.gif
this one killed me

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is Remember Me worth it if i like sci-fi games? Always heard mixed impressions about the gameplay itself.

nacimento

So after I get Gunpoint and Warband, this is my Wishlist:

And Yet It Moves
Puddle
They Bleed Pixels
Medieval 2
Rainbow Six 3 Gold
Dustforce
Fallout 2
Antichamber
Pid
Receiver
Rochard
Sine Mora
Prison Architect (depends on price)

Which two or three would you recommend out of that list?

Medieval and 2 more

whitehawk

Banned
As someone who hasn't played them, they look like they're from a genre that has had a heck of a lot of improvement over the past 10 years and left them dated.
Heh, this is what I'm thinking. I probably won't ever get to them either... But $5 for 9 games! I hate you steam.

antitrop

I'm not really sure if Torchlight II is actually overrated, or if I think everyone was just way, way too easy on it during the Diablo III backlash.

I thought it was only okay. D3 and Van Helsing were far more enjoyable, to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So after I get Gunpoint and Warband, this is my Wishlist:

And Yet It Moves
Puddle
They Bleed Pixels
Medieval 2
Rainbow Six 3 Gold
Dustforce
Fallout 2
Antichamber
Pid
Receiver
Rochard
Sine Mora
Prison Architect (depends on price)

Which two or three would you recommend out of that list?

Have you seen videos of They Bleed Pixels? If it looks like your kind of thing I'd definitly recommend it.

And Anti-Chamber is one of the best mind-bending puzzle games in a while.

Freezard

Apologies, I missed this post. If you didn't like Fallout 3 at all I would be extremely surprised if you did end up liking New Vegas. The gunplay was, very slightly, improved but the main improvements with regard to the gameplay is the addition of greater depth via more diversive perks and a simultaneous reduction in the amount of perks you can acquire (VATS is still the better method for combat) so I don't think it will satisfy you in that area. The opening is certainly not as long as Fallout 3's is; some of the more standard introductionary sequences can be skipped. You're also given much more direction after the tutorial in New Vegas in comparison to the other two games. As for the second part, you can go anywhere you wish. The freedom in both Oblivion and Fallout 3 is one of their biggest draws as the world provides a wide variety of areas to explore, items to collect and places to see. For Fallout 3 specifically, you can follow the instructions on your Pipboy to bring you straight to Megaton, the first 'city' most people encounter due to its close proximity to the entrance, if you just wish to follow the quest markers (although, as I've mentioned, most people will arrive in Megaton regardless to try and acquire an area to keep loot) or you can choose to go elsewhere; it is up to you. If you own then (as opposed to merely tried them) I would definitely advise trying them again (if you can though you'd probably be better off starting with a save at the sewer entrance in Oblivion or the exit to Vault 101 so that you can customise your character however you want and move immediately into the main game, skipping the tutorial which is quite long and monotonous for both games).

In my opinion, I think it would be a very large risk for you to buy New Vegas considering your experience (and the aspects that are problematic to you) with both Oblivion and Fallout 3. There is a possibility you'd like it, of course, but I don't think it's worth the risk (and yes, I know it's really cheap but that money could still be put towards something else that you have a higher probability of enjoying).

Okay thanks! Well it is kinda weird cause I love FPS games as well as oldschool D&D RPGs but I guess the endless walking in a pretty empty world is not my thing. That's what I mean with the slow pacing, in Borderlands you can at least sprint/use vehicles but in F3 I just kept walking and had no idea where I went because most of the environment looked the same. But to be honest I gave up on F3 due to an auto-save immediate-death-when-loaded loop, so I think I'll pick up NV anyway :)

MikeDown

Banned
Is Remember Me worth it if i like sci-fi games? Always heard mixed impressions about the gameplay itself.
I would say so. It is a pretty fun game, the narrative is pretty good, touching at times. The world is really rich and detailed even though it is pretty linear. Soundtrack is absolutely amazing and I personally found the combat pretty enjoyable. If you are annoyed by linearity/simple platforming and picky about the combat I would hold off. In my opinion the combat can make/break the game, in my case I really enjoyed it.

Mordeccai

Its such a bitch to get Dark Souls with GFWL to work on my Win 8 computer :/

Shit took me three hours to figure out. What a shitty service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom