• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost at $10 from selling cards. Its like free money! But, now everytime I want to buy a game, I see it in terms of cards. Fallout New Vegas at $2.50 is cheap! But thats a hell alot of cards.

And just noticed it doesn't have cards, so I wouldn't even get any ROI from it.....

tumblr_lsbein85cu1r0vla5o1_400.gif

You're getting one of the best games of the generation for free, just do it. Hell, spend 5 and get some of the best DLC out there as well, it won't get any cheaper.

So is trackmania canyon still active at all?
Did they fix the thing where you could only do a timed run every few minutes?
Does it run allright on older amd cards? (hd6870), is it very cpu heavy? (phenom II x3 @3.2ghz)
Do you still need to use that ubisoft garbage to play it?
Do you still need maniaplanet?

I was hoping stadium would be on sale or valley.

oipic

Só I logged on steam today and found out I got civ IV out of the blue. Does anyone know why? Since I already have it I'll give it to modbot when I get back on my pc

Did you pre-order the recent expansion? Civ IV was gifted to those who pre-ordered as an apology for the initial sale discount exceeding the pre-order discount... or something like that. Someone will correct me, I'm sure!

DrSlek

So how is Total War Shogun 2?

I have no idea what Total War is but I've been interested and those cards are tempting me.

Shogun 2 is fantastic. The Total War games are strategy games with the Real-Time Tactics sub-genre.

The campaign is played out on a turn-based world map. The battles take place in real time on battlefield maps. All unit creation takes place on the campaign map. So when you enter a battle, you've got a finite number of units to make use of.

Here: This is a reasonably good commentary from a skilled player on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08j-PPmHugY

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I remember reading that getting a card for the community vote resets your progress on the $10 spent card, is that true?

I don't think so, it didn't seem to happen when I bought X-Com DLC and then Sleeping Dogs. I still have my progress and I've voted and gotten cards since then.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Any thoughts on the Total War Grand Master Collection? At $41 it is a bit pricey but that seems like a heck of a value considering the amount of content. Never played any of them but they look great. Gonna grab one of the demos to give one of the games a shot first obviously. Just looking for some general thoughts both on the value and if it'd be overkill grabbing the bundle over, say, just Total War Shogun 2.

It looks like the Grand Master Collection is twice the price of the Master Collection and all you miss out on is the massive amounts of unit DLCs. I'd say get the Mater Collection for $22.50 and call it a day. $20 seems like a lot of money for something that doesn't massively change the games.

Or better yet, since you haven't played any TW games, just buy Rome: Total War for $2.49. It's regarded by many as the best one (including me) and it hasn't really aged much IMO. I've put tons of hours into it, many of them even within the last couple years. It's a fantastic game and it'll eat up plenty of your time.

Thezez

Banned
Giveaway time!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Poker Night 2 -- MB-6A0561B51AC789DE - Taken by Daedalos42

Megasoum

Banned
I feel the urge for buying something but all the games I want will probably be dailies or flashes at some point before the end of the sale so I must...resist....the...urge...

I stopped participating once it left beta, not even free pennies will get me to launch games for that reason alone.

Yeah, I made $25 dollars in the beta. I just sell duplicates now to get cards for the badges I want. Leave games idling while I do other things so it doesn't really take any of my time up.

Torchlight 4 pack

1. Petrie
2. CarbonatedFalcon
3. bigwinnerx (host, usa)
4. reserved for next of LGom89 and KJ869 to reply if either still around. if not in the next few mins, will open up again.

r3n4ud

It looks like the Grand Master Collection is twice the price of the Master Collection and all you miss out on is the massive amounts of unit DLCs. I'd say get the Mater Collection for $22.50 and call it a day. $20 seems like a lot of money for something that doesn't massively change the games.

Or better yet, since you haven't played any TW games, just buy Rome: Total War for $2.49. It's regarded by many as the best one (including me) and it hasn't really aged much IMO. I've put tons of hours into it, many of them even within the last couple years. It's a fantastic game and it'll eat up plenty of your time.

Excellent advice! Prepare for Rome 2 coming soon.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Any thoughts on the Total War Grand Master Collection? At $41 it is a bit pricey but that seems like a heck of a value considering the amount of content. Never played any of them but they look great. Gonna grab one of the demos to give one of the games a shot first obviously. Just looking for some general thoughts both on the value and if it'd be overkill grabbing the bundle over, say, just Total War Shogun 2.

Just get Shogun 2.

Crayons

Banned
I mean I havent bought or sold cards because I used a new credit card to fund my wallet, so I really don't know. I could be wrong.

scotcheggz

It's amazing value IF you get into the games, but in all honesty, I'd buy Shogun 2 (or rome, bu bu bu samurai!) and play that for a while first. I've got a few total wars over the past few years and I neglect them all these days for Shogun 2. If you have money to burn and enjoy the demo or you're not sure what period you want to get into, go for your life, but you might struggle to play more than one for a long while.

DrTeflon

The new Civ5 expansion went on sale when it wasn't supposed so they gave out the basic version of the old game as consolation/commiseration for ppl that bought it full price I think.

Did you pre-order the recent expansion? Civ IV was gifted to those who pre-ordered as an apology for the initial sale discount exceeding the pre-order discount... or something like that. Someone will correct me, I'm sure!

Actually I didn't pre-ordered it but I bought day one. Oh well free game is a free game. Thanks guys

How does this sound?

iP4wRblF0fau2.png

Just have enough in my Steam wallet for this in a moment, is Shogun 2's DLC worth bothering with? If so I'll remove New Vegas for now (I've already played it before, I'll pick it up before the sale ends) and buy the DLC for it.

Tecl0n

How does this sound?

iP4wRblF0fau2.png

Just have enough in my Steam wallet for this in a moment, is Shogun 2's DLC worth bothering with? If so I'll remove New Vegas for now (I've already played it before, I'll pick it up before the sale ends) and buy the DLC for it.

Quite nice

ZenaxPure

I mean I havent bought or sold cards because I used a new credit card to fund my wallet, so I really don't know. I could be wrong.

Well.... Even if you have $100 to spend on the sale or $1000, selling cards can easily net you more cash (I am close to $30 myself at this point). It's just more cash, more cash = more games you can buy and never play. If there is $1050 worth of games you want from the summer sale but you only have $1000, CARDS GOT YOU COVERED.

Chris R

ModBot doesn't work if you just send it the steam URLs from self emailing it seems. Adding the game titles caused it to work right away.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The First Templar -- MB-C109ABBC6A018CFB - Taken by DurielBlack
Terraria -- MB-978B5D465740C871 - Taken by Daedalos42

Enjoy whoever gets these! Just cleaning up my inventory.

It looks like the Grand Master Collection is twice the price of the Master Collection and all you miss out on is the massive amounts of unit DLCs
Yeah, but there's nothing better than recruiting a special unit, ranking them up, and having them wipe the floor with everything else on the field.

That being said, Total War noobs should grab Rome for $2.50, install some mods (darthmod) and if they like it, buy the Grand Master later when it's on sale again. Which is all the time.

Snaku

Banned
Bought Doom 3 BFG, and what a surprise: instantly crashes when launched. This is the kinda shit that always turns me off PC gaming. I just want this shit to work.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
ModBot doesn't work if you just send it the steam URLs from self emailing it seems. Adding the game titles caused it to work right away.

Enjoy whoever gets these! Just cleaning up my inventory.

Thanks for Terraria! I've been meaning to check it out for a while. I was even thinking of buying the Xbox version. Now I don't have to! :D

Prophane33

Thanks for Terraria! I've been meaning to check it out for a while. I was even thinking of buying the Xbox version. Now I don't have to! :D

It's a lot of fun! Good game to play with other people, or so I've heard. I only played it solo but I enjoyed it a lot...until I got to the bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom