• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Bought Doom 3 BFG, and what a surprise: instantly crashes when launched. This is the kinda shit that always turns me off PC gaming. I just want this shit to work.

I had that problem. After updating my graphics drivers it worked. Many have had nothing but problems with it though and it seems that ID & Bethesda don't seem to care and don't seem to be doing anything to fix it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How does this sound?

iP4wRblF0fau2.png

That is a HECK of a lot of gaming for under $23

Gxgear

I still really hate how WarZ just changed their name to avoid the bad press.

I almost voted for it too thinking it was some kind of indie zombie game.

I thought they changed the name to prevent legal action from movie producers of World War Z, and potentially creator of DayZ (although he said he didn't want to IIRC)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, but there's nothing better than recruiting a special unit, ranking them up, and having them wipe the floor with everything else on the field.

That being said, Total War noobs should grab Rome for $2.50, install some mods (darthmod) and if they like it, buy the Grand Master later when it's on sale again. Which is all the time.

How is Rome? Never played any of these games from the series.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the XCOM demo is unbearable. I hate when I'm forced to watch unskippable shit, when I just want to get a taste of how a game plays to see if I want to buy it or not. Right now I don't. At all.

I'm hitting Esc like a madman, but it does nothing. Neither do Space, E or left click.

A little advice to any developers: DON'T PUT UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES ON YOUR DEMO. Especially when they happen every 3 seconds, like it's the case here.

OK, back to it. Let's hope it gets better. So far it's "Click to Play Cutscene: The Game Demo".

With regards to Total War, I'd say Shogun 2, Rome and Medieval 2 are the best in the series. Empire had great concepts but was too ambitious, thus it became bogged down by technical problems and bloat. I haven't played Napoleon, so I can't say anything about it.

For what it's worth, my first Total War was Shogun 1. I bought it as a blind buy because I wanted a strategy game and it looked cool. The game was awesome enough for me to hardcore research Japanese history and now I love it. I've played every Total War as they were released (again, the exception being Napoleon), and I'd say at this point, the three I mentioned are the ones worth playing. And soon even Rome won't be worth playing because Rome 2 is coming out this fall. Between Shogun 2, Rome and Medieval, it's pretty much a "Pick which setting most appeals to you" fair, though personally I think Shogun 2 has the most polish. A lot of people complain about lack of unit/clan diversity, but I didn't mind it much since to me, the tightened focus on one culture in a civil war makes up for that. You get to explore the more minuet differences that aren't obvious in Shogun 2.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is The Swapper?

Hakkuei

So is trackmania canyon still active at all?
Depends on what you call active... it's still active but there are only like 100 players online at a time
Did they fix the thing where you could only do a timed run every few minutes?
Dunno
Does it run allright on older amd cards? (hd6870), is it very cpu heavy? (phenom II x3 @3.2ghz)
It ran great on my old 4870 and Q6600 @ stock
Do you still need to use that ubisoft garbage to play it?
You never had to?
Do you still need maniaplanet?
Yep

jshackles

OP says Daily Deals wont go cheaper, Guess What Left 4 Dead is in the Flash Sale so I guess Itll be cheaper than it was.

If it wins the community choice, it'll be the same price it was when it was a daily deal.

Almighty

Damn, the XCOM demo is unbearable. I hate when I'm forced to watch unskippable shit, when I just want to get a taste of how a game plays to see if I want to buy it or not. Right now I don't. At all.

I'm hitting Esc like a madman, but it does nothing. Neither do Space, E or left click.

A little advice to any developers: DON'T PUT UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES ON YOUR DEMO. Especially when they happen every 3 seconds, like it's the case here.

OK, back to it. Let's hope it gets better. So far it's "Click to Play Cutscene: The Game Demo".

That the actual game is much less cutscene heavy then the demo from what I remember. Besides the starting area which is the demo and can be skipped in the full game. So yeah if that is putting you off the full game is much less annoying in that regard. They would of been much better off to just toss in a few random levels for the demo.

jshackles

Kerbal Space Program out selling Borderlands 2 and Tomb Raider? I call massive bullshit.

The top seller list is based on $ revenue, not number of games sold. Currently Kerbal costs more than the others, so it can sell less copies and still beat it on this list.

Also - Kerbal is at the very top of the store homepage at the moment. You'd be surprised how much that matters.

Sysgen

The top seller list is based on $ revenue, not number of games sold. Currently Kerbal costs more than the others, so it can sell less copies and still beat it on this list.

Also - Kerbal is at the very top of the store at the moment. You'd be surprised how much that matters.

I know how the system works and it's $3 more expensive. KSP is an early access game in a niche genre. Clearly they are using it to promote Early Access by manipulating the Top Sellers list. Very obvious.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Goddamn I'm hella drunk today I hope there's no good games on sale...

*checks sale*

Remember me and Kerbal Space Program are only 40% off fuck this.

Tenrius

Bought Doom 3 BFG, and what a surprise: instantly crashes when launched. This is the kinda shit that always turns me off PC gaming. I just want this shit to work.

Yeah, it sucks, man. Here's my experience with it:

After 1.5 hours of fruitless attempts to launch Doom 3: BFG Edition I somehow managed to miss my poor cat in the dark hallway and accidentally hit him with a leg. Now I feel totally terrible.

This sums up my experience with Doom 3: BFG Edition.

It gave me the blue console with the "failed to initialize OpenGL" at first, so I tried running it windowed. It still wouldn't work, this time with a generic "the game has stopped working" error, so I enabled Windows XP compatibility. With Windows XP compatibility AND windowed it seems to work, I can hear everything and I can even start a new game, but it's just a white screen. Wasn't able to fix this third issue.

However, this actually fixed it. Praise Steam user Sharkfood!

didamangi

Also - Kerbal is at the very top of the store homepage at the moment. You'd be surprised how much that matters.

jshackles thx for the custom background addition in Enhanced Steam, it's great!

10 more Steam keys to give out! Same disclaimer as last time (99% sure that all of these will work/are unclaimed, let me know if the key was accidentally malformed in the process). Sorry, but I've gotta go for a few hours, so I won't be able to make a post congratulatory post if/when everything's been claimed. So, to the people who claim them: Congratulations in advance!

I'll be back with Round 3 either tonight or tomorrow morning!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Machinarium -- MB-2305BB78D4DC7AB0 - Taken by PepperJack
World Of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, EDGE -- MB-BA0B594D50AB48D1 - Taken by r3n4ud
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-18CD662C8CEFEE98 - Taken by Crayons
Darksiders -- MB-CF39BCB1C6B235C3 - Taken by hom3land
Chime -- MB-64677EEB11D30CA8 - Taken by wakajawaka
Offspring Fling -- MB-BAF0E861C153B806 - Taken by Cth
Puzzle Agent -- MB-5AAF0974F7ACF07A - Taken by PandaPedinte
Fractal -- MB-231881F43E9D09F7 - Taken by Oublieux
NightSky -- MB-CA1A2F3368040F0C - Taken by DaBoss
Waking Mars -- MB-7BBF37F3E4A20CF0 - Taken by theRizzle

Cybaster

They missed the boat with Arma2. Now that DayZ standalone is announced, it looks like 66% discount is not even enough to put it on first page top seller.

ZenaxPure

That the actual game has very few cutscenes that I remember. Besides the starting area which is the demo and can be skipped in the full game. So yeah if that is putting you off the full game is much less annoying in that regard. They would of been much better off to just toss in a few random levels for the demo.

Yeah pretty much, I had a similar experience last year. IIRC the demo is just the tutorial which is a really bad tutorial by tutorial standards. It's a poor way to represent the game because there is never anything like it in the game after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom