• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

Thinking about buying The Witcher 2 despite not enjoying the first one very much. Can anyone sell me on it? Specifically the ways it improves on the first.
They are very different.
Off the top of my head, TW2 improvements:
-Graphics. TW2 is one of the best looking games out there right now.
-Voice acting/characters. TW2 has some great voice acting and some memorable characters. They also didn't reuse the same character models over and over like they did in TW1. It's more immersive.
-Less jank all around. TW1 had some really odd and screwy stuff in it, probably due to its engine. There isn't much of that in the sequel.
-Combat. The combat isn't necessarily better in TW2, but it's more streamlined and "actiony", they did away with the combat system from the first game and opted for a more fluid one.
-Quests. There aren't as many "filler" or secondary quests in TW2; it's a lot easier to simply pursue the important stuff without missing out on much. It's been a while since I finished TW1, but I seem to remember that game having a lot more little side quests in it. This isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing; depends on what you like.

Those are the improvements that stood out to me, but I'm sure there were others. Personally, I prefered the first game's story a little bit more, and I feel like it had a lot of charm, but I'd say the sequel is leaps and bounds better in terms of overall polish.

kasane

Hopefully he meant not skip it altogether, many would consider NV the definitive Fallout experience of the current gen. Lots of improvements both mechanically and narratively to 3.
Oh no he said if i enjoy fallout 3 then i should buy NV next. I'm even thinking of buying it right now.

Edit: Also if i happen to buy NV should i get ultimate edition? What does it include just DLCs?

Damn phone typos

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
what fucking planet am i on

Oh no he said if i enjoy fallout 3 then i should buy NV next. I'm even thingking of buying it right now.

Okay, we can determine he is a good friend. You should buy New Vegas Ultimate now, too. It isn't going to go lower than $5.00 for a long, long time.

They are very different.
Off the top of my head, TW2 improvements:
-Graphics. TW2 is one of the best looking games out there right now.
-Voice acting/characters. TW2 has some great voice acting and some memorable characters. They also didn't reuse the same character models over and over like they did in TW1. It's more immersive.
-Less jank all around. TW1 had some really odd and screwy stuff in it, probably due to its engine. There isn't much of that in the sequel.
-Combat. The combat isn't necessarily better in TW2, but it's more streamlined and "actiony", they did away with the combat system from the first game and opted for a more fluid one.

Those are the improvements that stood out to me, but I'm sure there were others. Personally, I prefered the first game's story a little bit more, and I feel like it had a lot of charm, but I'd say the sequel is leaps and bounds better in terms of overall polish.

That perfectly explains their differences.
and why the first is the better game ;)

Can Telltale ever fix their games for PC. I swear this makes me want to stop buying from the developer...

I don't really understand why a developer of their success has games that look so bad, with horrid animation.

I thought the Walking Dead was great, but that animation and glitchy looking behavior... muh.

Yondy604

Banned
I just remember that moment where I left the vault, and I was like.

Holy shit this is awesome.

I had the same feeling when I went to Gran pulse on the ps3 when FF13 came out (the only good part of FF13 btw).

Seeing the giant high res dinosaurs walking around me.

I was jaw dropped

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Edit: Also if i happen to buy NC should i get ultimate edition? What does it include just DLCs?

The New Vegas DLCs are probably the best DLC add-ons for any game made this generation. They are more akin to the expansion packs of yore.

Do not skimp for the sake of 2.50 there.

Helmholtz

That perfectly explains their differences.
and why the first is the better game ;)
Haha :p. Honestly, if I had to choose, I'd say I preferred the first one. But I feel like the average gamer would enjoy the second one more since it's more modern. But if you can look past the quirks and dated aspects, TW1 is a great RPG. It's almost hard to compare the two since they're so different.

Haha :p. Honestly, if I had to choose, I'd say I preferred the first one. But I feel like the average gamer would enjoy the second one more since it's more modern. But if you can look past the quirks and dated aspects, TW1 is a great RPG. It's almost hard to compare the two since they're so different.

I love the first Witcher and Act IV alone is worth playing the game for.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I just remember that moment where I left the vault, and I was like.

Holy shit this is awesome.
Same. They did an excellent job summarizing your character's isolated life inside the vault. Walking out into that empty desert not knowing where to go as I watched a little robot fly by was "visceral".

Jørdan

Thanks for your post. I had asked before for those types of games. Have you played the three you linked? Deciding between civ and grandages.
I haven't sadly although they have caught my attention and I intend to take a closer look. I'm sure the rough edges can be endured if you enjoy the style of play, although they won't be the best examples of whats on offer certainly. It wouldn't be fair to make a recommendation having not played and I feel GOG has the superior choice. If you haven't played yet I can wholeheartedly recommend Zeus, Pharaoh, Caesar III and Sim City 2000.

Nothing for me today, my wallet gets a much deserved break. I'm eyeing Portal 2 though, but I've gone this long without playing it, so I think I can wait some more.

I had New Vegas in my cart, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it right now. I already played about half of NV on my 360, bought Fallout 3 today, and have about 8 other games I need to play just from this sale. I'm also still holding out for Natural Selection 2 at $8.50, and Racing Transformed which puts me pretty close to the end of my budget already. Maybe during the fall sale. Just doesn't adhere to my rule of not buying things I don't immediately want to play.

linko9

Question about Fallout NV: I have it on Steam, but I'm 95% sure it's not the ultimate edition. But when I go to the store page for the ultimate edition, it says I have it. When I look at the properties of the game in my library, it has no DLC. So am I able to get the ultimate edition somehow, or do I magically already have it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nothing for me today, my wallet gets a much deserved break. I'm eyeing Portal 2 though, but I've gone this long without playing it, so I think I can wait some more.

FWIW, it's not going to get cheaper until Valve drops the base price.

Raxus

I don't really understand why a developer of their success has games that look so bad, with horrid animation.

I thought the Walking Dead was great, but that animation and glitchy looking behavior... muh.

I don't mind considering the schedule they have to make their games but the least I ask for is that I can play the god damn things.

Poker Night 2 refuses to start up for me. I am going to have to visit the official forums to find out why my system can't play their broken ass game.

Jørdan

Question about Fallout NV: I have it on Steam, but I'm 95% sure it's not the ultimate edition. But when I go to the store page for the ultimate edition, it says I have it. When I look at the properties of the game in my library, it has no DLC. So am I able to get the ultimate edition somehow, or do I magically already have it?
It may be referencing the base game is owned, if you click on the individual DLC page it should show as unowned, you can also right click on the game in your library and select the DLC sub-menu to list any.

I believe the grid view icon will say Ultimate if that's what you have. The non UE will have the NCR trooper, the UE will have the sky needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom