• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Why is he a massive douchebag?

He's anxious and strung out. Hes dedicated a good chunk of the last few years of his life to one project. That doesn't make him a douche.

The Phil hate is so silly.
I think it were the choke on a dick comments.

haikira

He's anxious and strung out. Hes dedicated a good chunk of the last few years of his life to one project. That doesn't make him a douche.

This is my thinking as well. I don't really get all the Phil Fish hate, but maybe I don't have all the context as I've only really seen Indie Game The Movie. I preferred the Team Meat guys for sure, but I didn't think Phil Fish was that bad.
Please don't hurt me Neogaf.

marrec

Banned
I'm confused as to why the idea of a guy being a bit acerbic (Phil Fish) somehow makes the amazing game he made not worth playing.

Fish isn't exactly as awesome as Edmund McMillen, but FEZ is the shit.

Concerning the Community's Choice games.

post-22569-a-person-i6ks2t.gif

I want my Gunpoint!

That first movie was so good /cry

Use this (non-spoiler list that shows the availability of optional sidequests on each chapter) when you get to play Last Remnant to avoid potential frustration concerning missable quests. Great game.

Thanks for this.

oipic

So, System Shock 2, my dear old friend - still kicking my butt after all these years.

Sure, it's a rough around the edges by today's standards, but it still has a certain something. I had a slight suspicion that I might find it too janky to play through again in 2013, but nope... sucked right back in, like it's 1999 again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmmm, may have to get in contact with one of the people in the OP then. Can I just send them a PM and ask for help? Unless someone here can help me out right now.

That's what they're there for. ;)

Also, stupid question, but are there any common beginner's mistakes when paypalling people money? I've never done it before and I don't want to fuck up and look like a scammer.

Just remember to pay the transaction fee.

derExperte

Yes, a massive douchebag. Have you not watched Indie Game the movie? The contrast between him and Team Meat is just incredible.

He called no one a faggot. Which makes him more sympathetic than a lot of other people on the internet. My point is that he's totally harmless compared to the real scum out there.

Is Steam cool with changing payment methods? I always pay with a PayPal account which is linked to my credit card, but since I'm afraid to go over the limit this month so I want to use a pre-paid credit card I have

They may lock you out of the trading market. You can find a few threads about this here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/community_market/discussions/

Is Steam cool with changing payment methods? I always pay with a PayPal account which is linked to my credit card, but since I'm afraid to go over the limit this month so I want to use a pre-paid credit card I have

I heard that changing payment options suspends your buy privileges for 5 days so maybe?

Megasoum

Banned

Add your pre-paid to paypal?

He called no one a faggot. Which makes him more sympathetic than a lot of other people on the internet.

If you can't understand the difference between out of context use of a gaming community's common lexicon (no matter how distasteful), and somebody who goes out of his way to deliberately incite people (not to mention the antagonistic remarks he made towards Japanese developers), then this is neither the time or place for you to learn.

I think he's a douche. I will not buy his game. I am not any the worse for forgoing this experience, no matter how much the Phil Fish GAF-defence force would like to convince me otherwise. That's my opinion, I expressed it on a forum. Sorry if it upsets you.

I'm confused as to why the idea of a guy being a bit acerbic (Phil Fish) somehow makes the amazing game he made not worth playing.

I'm not exactly begging for good 2D indie platformers here. It's pretty easy to tune out and honestly I'd rather just not deal with any of it.

I'm swimming in media and I'd prefer to stay away from people I don't like.

I don't either, but to be fair I hate other games for all sorts of minor reasons.

Zeliard

Yeah this is pretty much the case. The developer has completely given up on the game.

It can still be fun to play as a rare example of a modern competitive shooter that emphasizes both aim and movement, but beyond that it is somewhat of a mess. Hi-Rez did an exceptionally poor job at responding to community feedback - some of the worst communication I've ever seen.

Terra

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? I don't think there will ever be a better horror third person than original Alone in the Dark, but I do really like the visuals.

I have thoughts about buying it, but not for 9.99 Euro though. I think it´s ok (Downpour is better) and have it for my 360.

If I could get I am Alive and Homecoming for about 5 Euro each, it would be a buy.

Trine upgrade to complete is $1

Is the Goblin Menace expansion really worth it? or just more of the same?

Curiously, I thought I only had vanilla Trine 2, but looking through my profile at work, either Steam or enhanced steam seem convinced that I own Trine 2 complete. Was there some sort of automatic upgrade for some reason at some point?

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? I don't think there will ever be a better horror third person than original Alone in the Dark, but I do really like the visuals.

This is how I see it.

If your a Silent Hill fan - Yes it's bad

If your not a Silent hill fan - It's decent

The only reason I say this is because if Your a fan of the past games you expect this game to be like Silent Hill's of old. Most of the games problems are in it's designs more then the game itself. Things like the environments aren't great, not so good enemy design or variety, and a few glitches and bugs here and there. I say that if you don't go into the game having high expectation, you will enjoy it, but if you go into iw with top of the line expectations you will be disappointed. The only other gripe is that it isn't that scary. I only got scared twice and it was mostly because of jump scares.

So that's the way I see it. I played it and enjoyed it and it actually was my first Silent Hill game I played. I'm not sure if I can recommend this or not, but look up a few reviews and do some research and see if you think you'll like it.

TheContact

Yeah this is pretty much the case. The developer has completely given up on the game.

It can still be fun to play as a rare example of a modern competitive shooter that emphasizes both aim and movement, but beyond that it is somewhat of a mess. Hi-Rez did an exceptionally poor job at responding to community feedback - some of the worst communication I've ever seen.

Tribes 1 : Arena mod was still the most fun. WalledIn was a great map

Curiously, I thought I only had vanilla Trine 2, but looking through my profile at work, either Steam or enhanced steam seem convinced that I own Trine 2 complete. Was there some sort of automatic upgrade for some reason at some point?

This shows up for me as well...strange.
Can you check if you also have the expansion?

I haven't been keeping up on it, what's wrong with the game as it is right now?

Prelithe

Is Torchlight 2 a big improvement gameplay wise compared to the first?Just wondering if I pickup 2 if it ever shows up again on flash or daily, should I start from 1 or just jump straight to 2?

Shambles

I sure hope everyone railing against Fish don't buy a single EA/Activision game either. If you think Fish is a douche he's a small salmon in an ocean full of shark executives at the major publishers.

M.D

He called no one a faggot. Which makes him more sympathetic than a lot of other people on the internet. My point is that he's totally harmless compared to the real scum out there.

They may lock you out of the trading market. You can find a few threads about this here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/community_market/discussions/

I heard that changing payment options suspends your buy privileges for 5 days so maybe?

That's pretty shitty of them to do :/

Add your pre-paid to paypal?

Could work, but won't they know the credit card they are taking the money from is different? I know it's going through PayPal, but still...

I have $9 on that pre-paid card lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Here's an overlooked game that may interest some of you - Democracy 2.

Essentially, you get to run a country, but the sheer breadth of options is incredible. Everything you do, affects a different part of the country, and you can implement policies and move things around to shape a country the way you want to run it (ie subsidise green travel, invest money into tech, force creationism on everyone, make a new North Korea) etc etc.

ss_2f72bebda4b0bc6a62687a07b6f9763e42145d70.600x338.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if it'd go lower.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, a massive douchebag. Have you not watched Indie Game the movie? The contrast between him and Team Meat is just incredible.
So, what exactly from all the things he says and does in that movie makes him look like a douchebag? A guy with mental issues, maybe, but a douchebag?

I actually liked him there. I could sympathize with him and all the shit he went through.

Megasoum

Banned
Could work, but won't they know the credit card they are taking the money from is different? I know it's going through PayPal, but still...

I have $9 on that pre-paid card lol

I don't think Steam knows how you actually pay Paypal. They received the money from Paypal, they don't care where it actually comes from. I use paypal for both my Credit Card and for Instant Banking (it takes the money directly out of my banking account through Paypal) and Steam doesn't know the difference (and probably doesn't give a shit as long as they are getting the money).

TheContact

You guys should watch the documentary Indie Game: The Movie, if you haven't already. It's on Netflix, follows Jonathan Blow (Braid), Phil Fish(Fez), and Edmund McMillen(Super Meat Boy), about them developing their games for the most part

smr00

Banned
So, what exactly from all the things he says and does in that movie makes him look like a douchebag? A guy with mental issues, maybe, but a douchebag?

I actually liked him there. I could sympathize with him and all the shit he went through.
After watching Indie Game The Movie and reading tweets/interviews i can't sympathize with him.

I don't think he's a douche but i think he is an asshole and he has this "i am better than you" mentality which i don't care for. That being said i think he is a brilliant man who made a great game and i can't wait to play more of his games.

MrGerbils

So Phil Fish is a douche but using faggot or raped is ok because it's part of the 'lexicon'?

What a world...

What a great community to be part of.

I'm also sure that half of the people who hate Phil Fish are just as acerbic of nerds in their own real lives too. Their hatred of a random game developer they don't even know is easily just as senseless as any of Phil's rants against Japanese game developers and such.

Fireblend

Banned
I got a positive impression from Fish on the documentary, if anything. Guess people see what they want to see, and project their already formed opinions on how they see him act on the movie. If anything, the movie makes me feel pity for him. The twitter posts are other story though, he's stupidly insensitive and too willing to talk his mind for his own good. I'd say his twitter account is hardly enough to judge him as a human being though.

Anyway, that's absolutely irrelevant to my thoughts on Fez, which I think is an incredible game.

Vote for Monaco everyone!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You guys should watch the documentary Indie Game: The Movie, if you haven't already. It's on Netflix, follows Jonathan Blow (Braid), Phil Fish(Fez), and Edmund McMillen(Super Meat Boy), about them developing their games for the most part

I'm waiting for the card update.

derExperte

Sorry if it upsets you.

Why should it? He's raking in the dough right now while internet hypocrites cry salty tears. Hope FEZ wins the community vote btw. :)

Any yes, everyone watch the documentary, there's a lot more in it than Fish and the audio commentary by Team Meat is also worth the time.

The Phil hate is so silly.
I agree. I would say he entangles too much of his identity into his work but that doesn't make him a douche. He's a tad overly dramatic as well- this is based off the movie I don't know him personally or anything so it could be just the way they portrayed him as well.

smr00

Banned
I got a positive impression from Fish on the documentary, if anything. Guess people see what they want to see, and project their already formed opinions on how they see him act on the movie. If anything, the movie makes me feel pity for him. The twitter posts are other story though, he's stupidly insensitive and too willing to talk his mind for his own good. I'd say his twitter account is hardly enough to judge him as a human being though.

Anyway, that's absolutely irrelevant to my thoughts on Fez, which I think is an incredible game.

Totally agree.

My opinion is solely based on interviews, the movie, twitter etc. I don't know him personally but to me he just comes off as an asshole at times and projects this i am better than you mentality. I can go with what i know and that's what i know. I don't hate him or think he's a douche though, i think both those terms are extremely harsh.

But even with negative opinions towards his personality i can't deny how smart the guy is how good he is at game development. This whole Phil Fish thing is also getting highly off-topic :-/

On-Topic- Anyone think Trials will get cheaper this sale? And is Monaco good if you solo? Or is it more of a coop based game?

Amneisac

My deal with Fish is, there's a point where pretty much everyone acts a little humble.

"Hey, guys, seriously thanks for buying my game look at these stats!"

Whatever it sounds like. I just think if he's keeping in character and he's really got a heart of gold he's just coming off as a dick. Either that or he really is a dick. Either way though it isn't going to affect whether I buy his game or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom