• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

Is Steam cool with changing payment methods? I always pay with a PayPal account which is linked to my credit card, but since I'm afraid to go over the limit this month so I want to use a pre-paid credit card I have

Yes. I often change my credit cards and it works just fine.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What a great community to be part of.

I'm also sure that half of the people who hate Phil Fish are just as acerbic of nerds in their own real lives too. Their hatred of a random game developer they don't even know is easily just as senseless as any of Phil's rants against Japanese game developers and such.
Don't be like that. Don't put everyone in the same bag. There's no difference between that comment and talking about "the GAF hivemind".

botlite

Trine upgrade to complete is $1

Is the Goblin Menace expansion really worth it? or just more of the same?

I played through it about a month ago and I really enjoyed it. As DLC of course it falls under the character of more of the same but it does add new skills to each character and it has a lengthy campaign of about 3-4 hours. If you enjoyed Trine 2 I would definitely pick it up.

Zeliard

I haven't been keeping up on it, what's wrong with the game as it is right now?

Myriad balance issues as a result of Hi-Rez adding new weapons and items with no rhyme or reason beyond needing more sources of revenue, in the process worsening some of the core issues the game already had to begin with.

One of the dumbest things they did in the last patch was add powerful shields to base assets which many weapons can't take out, making generator play even more attractive to a lot of players and generally keeping players from attacking the flag stand since turrets are so accurate and powerful. Pubs boil down even more now to massive defensive stacks, which is just dull. It was an existing problem that Hi-Rez only exacerbated.

Pickup games can be enjoyable if you manage to get with players who aren't obnoxious, but that is far from a guarantee (at least in the US), and the only reason pugs work at all is due to players ignoring base assets after the first salvo, outright banning various imbalanced weapons/items, and keeping teams limited to 7v7.

Handing over modding/mapping tools to the community is the only thing that can potentially save the game, though it may be too late regardless. The player count has been extremely low for a long time, and with Hi-Rez unceremoniously bowing out, it'll only keep dwindling.

Celegus

Is Torchlight 2 a big improvement gameplay wise compared to the first?Just wondering if I pickup 2 if it ever shows up again on flash or daily, should I start from 1 or just jump straight to 2?

I guess it's technically better, but Torchlight 2 was a huge disappoint to me. If you're not crazy about the first game, I don't think this one is going to change your mind.

MikeDown

Banned
Any impressions on Sanctum 2? The Giant Bomb quick look made it seem pretty good, but I'm wondering if it holds up throughout the game?
It gets better the more you progress. The first few levels aren't that great compared to Sanctum 1, but after that the game is really good in terms of level design. The combat/gameplay is less tower focused, so the player has a more active role in defending the core. Towers are still very important, but you just can't just idle like you could in Sanctum 1. The enemies have their own personalities to em and are much more challenging, despite coming in lesser numbers then the prior game. One of my little complaints is that the gun models take up too much of the screen but that is about it. It is pretty fun and I would high recommend it. Just keep in mind that it is different from the first game.

Edit: Oh and the graphics aren't as good because Sanctum 2 was also built w/ inferior console gaming pheasants in mind.

Edwardo

Good morning everyone. The community vote should go to Monaco, right? And if anyone hasn't played Mass Effect 2 yet, please buy it. It was my favorite in the series. Make sure you play the other two as well. Regardless of what anyone says about the ending.

Gotta go take care of some yardwork at my grandmother's house. I'll be back to hang in here in a bit.

M.D

I don't think Steam knows how you actually pay Paypal. They received the money from Paypal, they don't care where it actually comes from. I use paypal for both my Credit Card and for Instant Banking (it takes the money directly out of my banking account through Paypal) and Steam doesn't know the difference (and probably doesn't give a shit as long as they are getting the money).

I guess I'll add it then! Do you need to confirm a credit card with the PayPal code even if its not your first one? In that case I'll have to call the company, I think it will take a few days to show up on their website

Is there any downside for having two cards on your PayPal account? I know PayPal can be weirs sometimes

Amneisac

I guess it's technically better, but Torchlight 2 was a huge disappoint to me. If you're not crazy about the first game, I don't think this one is going to change your mind.

Yeah, I actually liked Torchlight II LESS than the first game. A lot of people love it, but it just didn't do it for me. And it gets seriously busy in multiplayer. There's just so many colored balls of death flying around at all times it's almost impossible to know what's happening. I wouldn't consider it a skill-based ARPG. Say what you will about Diablo III, I feel WAY more in control of my character in that game. I think gameplay-wise TLII is leagues behind Diablo, it does have tons more content and some cool mods though.

If you pick it up make sure to install Synergies Mod. (to the guy you were replying to obviously)

It gets better the more you progress. The first few levels aren't that great compared to Sanctum 1, but after that the game is really good in terms of level design. The combat/gameplay is less tower focused, so the player has a more active role in defending the core. Towers are still very important, but you just can't just idle like you could in Sanctum 1. The enemies have their own personalities to em and are much more challenging, despite coming in lesser numbers then the prior game. One of my little complaints is that the gun models take up too much of the screen but that is about it. It is pretty fun and I would high recommend it. Just keep in mind that it is different from the first game.

Cool, thanks for the impressions. I liked some aspects of the first but it sounds like they made some good improvements to it.

Sober

I noticed I don't have the Witcher games on Steam. Time to buy it again. 3 Copies of TW1 - boxed retail, GoG and now Steam, and 2 of TW2? Because why the fuck not.

Amneisac

So PES 2013 was the big Konami surprise, huh?

How the hell they don't sell that game cheaper than $10 is amazing to me. What kind of idiots are running the show that they don't realize they're getting killed by FIFA, which has been $9.99 a few times. I WANT to give PES a shot, but jesus they make it so hard.

derExperte

Myriad balance issues as a result of Hi-Rez adding new weapons and items with no rhyme or reason beyond needing more sources of revenue, in the process worsening some of the core issues the game already had to begin with.

This sounds bad, I bought a starter pack or something a few months ago but never got around to actually trying the game. I guess for a total beginner it's even worse now. :(

mrgone

Yeah this is pretty much the case. The developer has completely given up on the game.

It can still be fun to play as a rare example of a modern competitive shooter that emphasizes both aim and movement, but beyond that it is somewhat of a mess. Hi-Rez did an exceptionally poor job at responding to community feedback - some of the worst communication I've ever seen.

Wow, they're focusing on Global Agenda 2. It's like watching a recovering drug addict relapse into oblivion.

Celegus

Yeah, I actually liked Torchlight II LESS than the first game. A lot of people love it, but it just didn't do it for me. And it gets seriously busy in multiplayer. There's just so many colored balls of death flying around at all times it's almost impossible to know what's happening. I wouldn't consider it a skill-based ARPG. Say what you will about Diablo III, I feel WAY more in control of my character in that game. I think gameplay-wise TLII is leagues behind Diablo, it does have tons more content and some cool mods though.

If you pick it up make sure to install Synergies Mod. (to the guy you were replying to obviously)

Agreed entirely. Combat does not feel satisfying at all, and the only way to really even tell that you're taking damage is to constantly have your eyes on the health globe, because there's no feedback when you get hit. And you better keep watching it, because you go from full health to dead in about .3 seconds at any given moment.

I enjoyed Diablo 3 way more than Torchlight 2. *ducks and runs*

No way man, Diablo 3 is six kajillion times better than Torchlight 2. It's just not as fashionable to favor the big guy over the indie darling.

One of the dumbest things they did in the last patch was add powerful shields to base assets which many weapons can't take out, making generator play even more attractive to a lot of players and generally keeping players from attacking the flag stand since turrets are so accurate and powerful. Pubs boil down even more now to massive defensive stacks, which is just dull. It was an existing problem that Hi-Rez only exacerbated.

Pickup games can be enjoyable if you manage to get with players who aren't obnoxious, but that is far from a guarantee (at least in the US), and the only reason pugs work at all is due to players ignoring base assets after the first salvo, outright banning various imbalanced weapons/items, and keeping teams limited to 7v7.

Handing over modding/mapping tools to the community is the only thing that can potentially save the game, though it may be too late regardless. The player count has been extremely low for a long time, and with Hi-Rez unceremoniously bowing out, it'll only keep dwindling.
Ah, thanks. That's unfortunate. Guess I'll stop myself from picking up the GOTY version then, which I'd only have played from time to time.

If Diablo III hadn't had the nice CGI cutscenes, I wouldn't have told it apart from Torchlight II on my "run it on low settings" machine.

All of the "click on stuff until they die" games are all functionally equivalent to me however.

MikeDown

Banned
Cool, thanks for the impressions. I liked some aspects of the first but it sounds like they made some good improvements to it.
Yes they made some good improvements, fixed alot of bugs the first one had also. Plus they have a really neat perk system, that gives you or your towers different abilities and bonuses. Also another downside is you only have access to two weapons at a time. You have your primary which you can't change, and then a customization secondary weapon. Also the soundtrack is amazing, not exactly as mellow as Sanctum's; being a little more dark and electronic. I recommend watching some yt gameplay just to be sure before purchsaing.

botlite

I noticed I don't have the Witcher games on Steam. Time to buy it again. 3 Copies of TW1 - boxed retail, GoG and now Steam, and 2 of TW2? Because why the fuck not.

Now I'm procrastinating if I should double dip or not. The achievements and cards for The Witcher 2 would be nice but I'm not sure if that's enough to sell me on it.

Amneisac

If Diablo III hadn't had the nice CGI cutscenes, I wouldn't have told it apart from Torchlight II on my "run it on low settings" machine.

All of the "click on stuff until they die" games are all functionally equivalent to me however.

This thread is moving a little quick to have a real discussion about it here, but D3 is leagues beyond TL2 with the 'clicking stuff until they die'. The champion packs are awesome and add a lot of strategy when you realize what random permutation they have. You might have to fight at range, fight up close, kite, stand still, whatever. Also it has stuns and lots of other movement-based skills that just don't exist in TL2. TL2 is pretty much all just COLORED-BALL-OF-DEATH from everyone.

Amneisac

Early game it may have an edge but late game? No way. Diablo just falls apart.

Have you played it through Inferno and the paragon levels? Especially since some of the recent changes they've made? I'll admit to having some gripes about the way the Auction House ties WAY too heavily into gearing up, but there's so much more late game with D3 than TL2.

Have you played it through Inferno and the paragon levels? Especially since some of the recent changes they've made? I'll admit to having some gripes about the way the Auction House ties WAY too heavily into gearing up, but there's so much more late game with D3 than TL2.

well it's understandable given TL2 is basically a budget game. If you havent played D3 yet and considering TL2, I think TL2 will do more than enough to scratch your looting itch (to anyone considering getting it).

Zeliard

Ah, thanks. That's unfortunate. Guess I'll stop myself from picking up the GOTY version then, which I'd only have played from time to time.

If you like the genre it may still be worth a shot. That does mean supporting Hi-Rez, though, and they've shown to be a company that doesn't deserve it.

I still play it since there's a real dearth of this sort of game out there, and there is a notable skill-based quality to it, but I'll quickly move on to the next thing whenever that comes around.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
You guys should watch the documentary Indie Game: The Movie, if you haven't already. It's on Netflix, follows Jonathan Blow (Braid), Phil Fish(Fez), and Edmund McMillen(Super Meat Boy), about them developing their games for the most part

Johnatan Blow is awesome and Braid is awesomer.
Team meat made the best 2D platformer available on PC.
Fish seems kinda weird but I don't hate on the guy I'm just not giving him my money and it sucks because Fez looks cool but I just can't support him when he shits on his customers.

Raxus

I got such a bitter taste a year ago hitting a wall over and over late game I never went back. The AH murdered me too. I guess it deserves another fair shake.

Amneisac

well it's understandable given TL2 is basically a budget game. If you havent played D3 yet and considering TL2, I think TL2 will do more than enough to scratch your looting itch (to anyone considering getting it).

Absolutely, and I agree with that. For $5 TL2 is a great game, Diablo 3 should be cheaper. But ignoring price and comparing them heads-up I can't really believe anyone actually thinks TL2 is a better game today.

astonish

My co-worker is telling me I missed Street Fighter:AE as a flash sale yesterday. Is this true?

If so, dammit that was one of the only games I was going to pick up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom