• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

Mass Effect 2, Yay or Nay?

Nay. I just posted about it in another thread:

Don't bother. Mass Effect 2 is just as horrible in my opinion. I'm completely serious, the voice acting is just about the only good thing about these games: the visual style is ugly (the style, not the graphics), the characters are flat and uninteresting, the setting is as generic as they come, the story is pointless (and has the exact same structure the rest of modern Bioware games have), the gameplay is that of a clunky third person shooter with some horrible controls and a superfluos excuse for a role-playing system. I was so excited for the first game when it came out and it turned out to be so utterly shitty. Yet I somehow managed to finish it, then finally tried playing ME2 years after its release and just couldn't make any significant progress.

EDIT: Oh, and a really crucial thing. There is not enough space in that game, which is important to me as a sci-fi fan, but somewhat hard to explain. It doesn't feel like you're traversing the galaxy, there is no sense of exploration and adventure, probably due to every space trip being a really short cutscene in which your ship teleports to another planet and how casual every character is about space travel. All the planets you can "explore" only detract from the experience, with the copypasted excuses for sidequests in the first game and the pointless yet compulsory for the good ending minigame in the second. The games might as well have been set on a single planet, it wouldn't really change anything plotwise.

Lots of people seem to like it, though.

fantomena

Hmm I put my cards up for 5€, but no one is buying them?

huh.gif

liezryou

Retail games that can be activated on Steam:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

But you can also try any of them by going
Steam client -> games -> Activate a product on Steam -> type in the CD key.

Quite separate from whether or not it's a good game, I should warn you about one thing. The Steam copy of ME2 comes without any DLC. There's a ton of pretty significant content DLC. The content DLC must be purchased through the game using BioWare Points. BioWare Points almost never go on sale. So you're looking at playing multiple times what you paid for the game to get the DLC should you choose to do that.

Stump i tried twice to do a giveaway for SMNC it's not working, did you ban it :(. It's fun though >:].

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My friend its trying to sell the cards I had but they are slow as hell to sell. He only got me like 1.21 of one of the foil ones which if I had the permission to sell on steam could have gotten 11 bucks on day one smh. Im pissed man.
LLShC.gif
That sucks. I still haven't got over the fact that I skipped selling a Runner 2 regular card for 7 bucks the night they got added because I wanted to craft that badge, and by the time I decided I could get enough money by selling it to buy it again plus all the others, it was already too late: it had come down to less than $1.50.

If you don't sell it for a good price as soon as you can, then forget about it. That price is going to fall fast.

How did L4D2 win?
Because it's a great game.

Retail games that can be activated on Steam:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

But you can also try any of them by going
Steam client -> games -> Activate a product on Steam -> type in the CD key.

Quite separate from whether or not it's a good game, I should warn you about one thing. The Steam copy of ME2 comes without any DLC. There's a ton of pretty significant content DLC. The content DLC must be purchased through the game using BioWare Points. BioWare Points almost never go on sale. So you're looking at playing multiple times what you paid for the game to get the DLC should you choose to do that.

Thanks for that piece of information. Should I get it on Origins then or wait for more dailies ? (even though I think it won't be one)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
For everyone who is thinking about buying Tomb Raider, here's my short recommendation about it

XDg61n8.png

It's not a bad game or anything, it's just not great

Can still stare at Lara Croft's butt before she was Lara Croft though.

DukeBobby

It's a totally different experience.

In single player it's hard. Like kick you in the ass constantly hard. And it's more stealth based. The level design is incredible. It's slow, methodic.

On the other hand, the multiplayer............. is controlled chaos. Everything could go wrong in an istant and that's why it's more fun. Shit hits the fan so quickly that your reactions can generate hilarious moments with your friends.

Thanks.

Either way, it doesn't matter because it won't win the vote. I'll definitely pick it up if it goes on sale again, though.

marrec

Banned
If I haven't played either, Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

New Vegas.

Fallout 3 suffers from Bethesda's MO. The world is really kinda awesome for a few hours but then you realize how desperately shallow it is. New Vegas is much better in that regard.

smr00

Banned
So i went ahead about the Trine collection. Is the game easy to play Solo? Any tips if it is harder solo?
I know i keep asking about solo, it's because i don't have friends who play games :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So Far, 8 games purchased with $40.92.

Deadlight
Precipice of Darkness 4
Universe Sandbox
Hitman Absolution
Gnomoria
Chivalry
Fez
EURO TRUCKIN 2 LEGIT 2 QUIT

Vecks

So i went ahead about the Trine collection. Is the game easy to play Solo? Any tips if it is harder solo?
I know i keep asking about solo, it's because i don't have friends who play games :(

trine is pretty easy. it's not meant to be hard.

Mass Effect 2, Yay or Nay?

It's ok, but nothing more really.

*Some good stories in the characters quest.
*But pretty much all missions are generic linear corridors with lot's of chest high walls. There is nearly no variety to this at all.
*And all locations are very flat. They kinda give the feel that old Star Trek episodes have.
*And there is lot of immersion breaking lazy stuff, like that you always get ammo for the weapons you need against certain enemies just before they appear.

I thought it was a worse game then the first one in all aspects, but it's not terrible. Play it on easy and enjoy the production values. It's absolutely worth this price, so it's more about whether or not you want to spend 20-30 hours on a quite flawed game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom