• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

What a great community to be part of.

I'm also sure that half of the people who hate Phil Fish are just as acerbic of nerds in their own real lives too. Their hatred of a random game developer they don't even know is easily just as senseless as any of Phil's rants against Japanese game developers and such.
Hilarious. As if somehow their "hatred" of Phil Fish is merely the random "senseless" unwarranted response by people who, just as likely as not, are equally "hateful" of nerds around them in real life as well?

First off, I see people describing their dislike of Phil Fish for the most part, not "hatred". I also see them disliking, or in certain cases, "hating" Phil Fish, not as some senseless kneejerk response to some random "nerd" who they impulsively dislike, along with all nerds they ever come in contact with, but in SPECIFIC response to Phil Fish's utterly rude, egotistical, narcissistic, and offensive trolling, and readily apparent use of trolling to push a specific public persona that actually gets him press and makes him money because of the trolling.

Phil Fish CHOSE to define himself as he has. If it had merely been one incident where he spoke out against Japanese developers and apologized for a faux paus, who would even be talking about him for anything other than his great game? He took the initiative himself to push his "edgy" trolling because he finds some kind of merit in it, for whatever reason. I choose to label his offensive behavior in a realistic manner, without going out of my way to make specious apologist excuses for it, simply because I don't feel trolling warrants a starry-eyed gushing response, no matter who does it and no matter what great thing they have created.

One also has to wonder why so many people defend his behavior and public persona when he seems to be fine with it, and the backlash it inevitably creates, himself. Not only fine, but profiting from it, and I would say intentionally so. The genius troll is receiving the ultimate positive response a genius should inherently expect from intentional trolling. It is his plan, just go along with it.

liezryou

Hilarious. As if somehow their "hatred" of Phil Fish is merely the random "senseless" unwarranted response by people who, just as likely as not, are equally "hateful" of nerds around them in real life as well?

First off, I see people describing their dislike of Phil Fish for the most part, not "hatred". I also see them disliking, or in certain cases, "hating" Phil Fish, not as some senseless kneejerk response to some random "nerd" who they impulsively dislike, along with all nerds they ever come in contact with, but in SPECIFIC response to Phil Fish's utterly rude, egotistical, narcissistic, and offensive trolling, and readily apparent use of trolling to push a specific public persona that actually gets him press and makes him money because of the trolling.

Phil Fish CHOSE to define himself as he has. If it had merely been one incident where he spoke out against Japanese developers and apologized for a faux paus, who would even be talking about him for anything other than his great game? He took the initiative himself to push his "edgy" trolling because he finds some kind of merit in it, for whatever reason. I choose to label his offensive behavior in a realistic manner, without going out of my way to make specious apologist excuses for it, simply because I don't feel trolling warrants a starry-eyed gushing response, no matter who does it and no matter what great thing they have created.

One also has to wonder why so many people defend his behavior and public persona when he seems to be fine with it, and the backlash it inevitably creates, himself. Not only fine, but profiting from it, and I would say intentionally so. The genius troll is receiving the ultimate positive response a genius should inherently expect from intentional trolling. It is his plan, just go along with it.

Can we let this shit go now? I'm sure that all the big companies which produce AAA games have AT LEAST one guy like Phil Fish in their company. I don't see anyone complaining about them?

Overdoziz

Banned
New Vegas has a more interesting world, better quests and a great faction dynamic. I really liked Fallout 3, but New Vegas is definitely better.

nexen

I'm liking Borderlands 2 far more than I thought I would.
Weapons are far better and the missions have much more variety.
Also more types of enemies.

I made it about 15 hours into BL1 before I was bored to tears and had to quit. I think I may be able to stick this one out to the end, provided it isn't ridiculously long.

edit: Fallout3 > New Vegas. NV has better companions and writing in general, but the world is not as fun to explore. Also Caesar's Legion is a lame enemy.

hlhbk

New Vegas, 3 is hot garbage compared to it, people only favor it because it's their first Fallout.

Everything from gaming mechanics to story / characters / quests is all better in New Vegas.

I liked New Vegas but at least the beginning part is boring compared to FO3.

So apparently I have 92 games on Steam but have only spent $288.13 total on them. Even if you consider any humble bundles I've bought, that would still probably put me under $300.00. That's a pretty good per-game average.

Nethaniah

I liked New Vegas but at least the beginning part is boring compared to FO3.

You mean the baby / kid / teenager bit? That was easily the worst part of the game, it also set up the whole ''going after dad'' bit which brought the whole game down.

NV sets it up perfectly and alot faster, you got shot in the head, go find the guy that did it, bam, game starts.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
I'm going to be honest fellow GAFfer, I once saw someone streaming this game with a relaxing voice and I was so hypnotized and calm... I don't know why but it felt like such a relaxing game to play.

Yeah, I got it for my 10 year old brother for his birthday because he loves trucks and everything, and I might have snuck a couple minutes in on it while he was asleep. It's surprisingly fun for what it is.

chugen

I was waiting for it.

OZB4R4m.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be honest fellow GAFfer, I once saw someone streaming this game with a relaxing voice and I was so hypnotized and calm... I don't know why but it felt like such a relaxing game to play.
I tried the demo last night. The rain in that game is awesome, I loved how it blurs the windshield.

That said, I'm not sold on the game. I don't know how long will I be able to take it before it gets boring, so I'd rather not spend my money on it. Which is a shame, since I was digging driving cross-country.

I'm liking Borderlands 2 far more than I thought I would.
Weapons are far better and the missions have much more variety.
Also more types of enemies.

I made it about 15 hours into BL1 before I was bored to tears and had to quit. I think I may be able to stick this one out to the end, provided it isn't ridiculously long.

My biggest gripe with BL2 are the weapon manufacturers. I really dislike how set in stone some of the traits are. Hyperions are always those "get more accurate as you fire" guns. I hate them and as such, I instantly throw away all hyperion guns. It wasn't like that in BL1. Hyperion just had higher accuracy, and it was up to the gun to make itself more unique.

The hellfire SMG also felt a lot better in BL1. And the Pestilent Crux. How could they get rid of that!

Torraz

Unfortunately my thread regarding the spiderwebgames sale on humblebundle was washed away by the start of the steamsale. Thus, I'd like to give a few people to chance to play some of those wonderful games.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Geneforge Saga -- MB-5D70B3E54A0C42DB - Taken by Deques
Nethergate Resurrection -- MB-F1A7C2B1CDB73FE4 - Taken by liezryou
Second Avernum trilogy -- MB-04BAC08B8A786FCE - Taken by KJ869
Avernum Escape from the pit -- MB-DCBD46722F7D11B6 - Taken by cicero
Avadon -- MB-71E0276DBC762774 - Taken by wes-

liezryou

Unfortunately my thread regarding the spiderwebgames sale on humblebundle was washed away by the start of the steamsale. Thus, I'd like to give a few people to chance to play some of those wonderful games.

Thanks for nethergate bro. I can't buy the humble bundle with the steam sale currently going on.

Fallout 3 was really your first RPG?
Was this meant for me?

If so, yes. I had never cared about RPGs (at the time, RPG to me equalled Final Fantasy...don't hurt me). Then I saw previews and reviews for F3. Decided to take the plunge, loved it. If not for F3, I never would have considered games like Alpha Protocol and the Souls games

A friend gifted me torchlight 2. I usually don't play these types of games. What do I do with it? Can I talk to my friend over the mic in coop?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You mean the baby / kid / teenager bit? That was easily the worst part of the game, it also set up the whole ''going after dad'' bit which brought the whole game down.

NV sets it up perfectly and alot faster, you got shot in the head, go find the guy that did it, bam, game starts.
Thanks for the spoilers :/

KarmaCow

Is there any reason why I should care about my steam profile level?

I have a bunch of cards, and see that making a badge will raise my level to 6. Is it worth it?

Your steam level affects the chance you'll get a booster pack drop (which is extra 3 cards for a game). Though those effects only kick in every 10 levels, so getting 6 doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the spoilers :/

I hope you're joking.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Yeah, I've only played maybe an hour of it, trying to work through controls (since I don't have a wheel, nor the desk setup to use one), but it's interesting. Seems like something to do while listening to podcasts.

I too voted for Monaco. Remember seeing it on a Giantbomb QL/Live show. Seemed colorful, but maybe I should look at it again to make sure before purchasing (if it wins)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom