• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I'm going to be that slow driving trucker that everyone hates to get behind. It would be cool if the game had a CB radio type mechanic (maybe it does) where you could talk to other virtual truckers driving in your immediate area.

Fuck I want it so bad now, but I don't have funds in my paypal I only have Gaben dollhairs right now so I can't get it from the B/S/T thread post.

That would be a cool feature, but it isn't in the game. The developers recently announced that they're working on a trucking MMO, so that would probably have some kind of voice chat.

ETS2 got down to about $10 in a flash sale, so I would say there's a good chance of it getting that discount again in a daily sale.

fantomena

Oh my god. When I looked in my bank account I almost fell out of my chair and started crying. I have used
113€
so far.

What have you done to me, Gabe!?

MikeDown

Banned
Don't bother. Mass Effect 2 is just as horrible in my opinion. I'm completely serious, the voice acting is just about the only good thing about these games: the visual style is ugly (the style, not the graphics), the characters are flat and uninteresting, the setting is as generic as they come, the story is pointless (and has the exact same structure the rest of modern Bioware games have), the gameplay is that of a clunky third person shooter with some horrible controls and a superfluos excuse for a role-playing system. I was so excited for the first game when it came out and it turned out to be so utterly shitty. Yet I somehow managed to finish it, then finally tried playing ME2 years after its release and just couldn't make any significant progress.

EDIT: Oh, and a really crucial thing. There is not enough space in that game, which is important to me as a sci-fi fan, but somewhat hard to explain. It doesn't feel like you're traversing the galaxy, there is no sense of exploration and adventure, probably due to every space trip being a really short cutscene in which your ship teleports to another planet and how casual every character is about space travel. All the planets you can "explore" only detract from the experience, with the copypasted excuses for sidequests in the first game and the pointless yet compulsory for the good ending minigame in the second. The games might as well have been set on a single planet, it wouldn't really change anything plotwise.

My thoughts exactly. ME2 was terrible for the most part, the biggest let down was the level design and the visuals elements. EA/Bioware went for the whole dark gritty look, the result is a corridor shooter so generic, uninspiring, sloppy and bland it makes the War Z look like a AAA game. In comparison The War Z had far better visuals and art design, despite being such a terrible game, it utterly craps all over mass effect. The level design from the first game was amazing, yes you had those corridor shooter segments, but those segments fit into the aesthetics of the location, in ME2 you can tell there is a combat area coming a mile away based off the random knee high barricades randomly tossed around the map. The combat was uninteresting and clunky as heck. ME1s combat was clunky in a good way, because that clumsiness lived and thrived off the level design. Like the person above me mentioned, the controls are horrible and weapons are not that great. I can't think of one interesting combat feature the game has. ME1 had a focus on powers and stratagy, ME2 has its gameplay streamlined you don't even need to use em. It is a shame really.

Oh and the plot was simply filler, nothing is really added to the trilogy. You could play ME1 and skip to ME3 and would have understood everything. Bioware said they wanted to focus on the squadmates, sure that is fine, but the problem is that said squadmates are bland, and generic waking cliches. For their loyalty missions 70 percent of them involve parenting issues, how bland is that. Commander Shepard goes from galactic Reaper kicking badass to to solving parenting sibling issues. Bioware needs to diversify their characters, you could easily sum up the crew as this

Jacob Taylor: The black Guy
Miranda: Micheal Jackson
Mordin: Mad Scientist
Jack: The Bitch
Grunt: The Proud Warrior
Garrus: Mr. Fix It
Tali: Rebellious Princess
Legion: HK-47
Samara: Religious Monk
Thane: Assassin
Zaeed: The phycho
Kasumi: The Spy

I suppose the game would be better if the characters were, but they simply arent. And even then the "story" really is similar to every other Bioware game ever made. Well except for DA:2 that was utterly brilliant in terms of storytelling. I really am beginning to get sick of the Hero's Journey crap Bioware keeps doing. Way back in 1950 Joseph Cambell wrote this nifty little book called "The Hero with a Thousand Faces". If you actually read the book you will discover it actually has very little to do with "The Hero's Journey", instead it has an academic purpose as Cambell is interested in making cultural deductions about how certain concepts within storytelling resognate with us down through the generations.

What is maddening though is everyone seems to only remember the book for this damn illustration, the template of the Hero's Journey.

heroesjourney.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What's the deal with Age of empires HD? I remember hearing that it was a buggy mess at release, is it worthwhile yet?

fantomena

WHY?

You are not allowed to sell this item. The Community Market might be temporarily disabled or your account might be restricted from using the Community Market.

I just wanted to sell my Hitman card. :(

liezryou

I'm going to be that slow driving trucker that everyone hates to get behind. It would be cool if the game had a CB radio type mechanic (maybe it does) where you could talk to other virtual truckers driving in your immediate area.

Fuck I want it so bad now, but I don't have funds in my paypal I only have Gaben dollhairs right now so I can't get it from the B/S/T thread post.

I'll sell it to you for ~9$ steam wallet fellow GAFer, just add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/xxgozitaxx/ .

The_Monk

WHY?

You are not allowed to sell this item. The Community Market might be temporarily disabled or your account might be restricted from using the Community Market.

I just wanted to sell my Hitman card. :(

Refresh and try again fellow GAFfer, it happens when there's a lot of people buying/selling in the Market.

Jawmuncher

So much ME2 hate, which seems to be nothing more than "it wasn't like the first game". It's the same issue resident evil has had after 4.

Regardless ME2 is an excellent title if you take it for what it is. a third person shooter with lite RPG elements.

Oh my god. When I looked in my bank account I almost fell out of my chair and started crying. I have used
113€
so far.

What have you done to me, Gabe!?

I've got to wait until the last day of the sale (which coincides with my next paycheck) to really do anything else. I hope I can hold out...this will be a true test of patience.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the deal with Age of empires HD? I remember hearing that it was a buggy mess at release, is it worthwhile yet?

I spent a few minutes with it today. The game still seems rather laggy, which is something I thought had been patched.

Acccent

Fear not. In Europe, it's only those of is in the UK who stand up for truth, justice, and driving on the correct side of the road. See how everywhere else is red; red for wrong.

Did you know this is actually true? Historically people were driving on the left side of the road, it was inherited from jousting. I believe Napoléon changed it just to piss off the English. Or so I'm told. Also I'm French, so maybe my history teachers were biased.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Euro Trucking GAF

How the hell do I get off the over-regulated Big Brother haven known as the UK?

I want to feel the wind in my face! I want to be FREE!

Hoping for a Hovercraft Truck Conversion. WHERE I'M GOING, I DON'T NEED ROADS BUT I DO NEED SOME WATER.

m.gorecki

Will cards still be worth selling after the sale? I have about 15 but I can't sell anything until August 2nd

Nobody really knows, it's market driven.

My guess is the Steam Summer Sale cards will slowly go up, since there won't be new ones dropping, and people will be a little more willing to drop some money to finish their badge.

As for the game cards, I doubt they are going anywhere but down since the supply is just getting bigger.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
If anybody wants Trine 2 and has a game to trade, PM me because I have the Complete Story and I'm not interested in playing it.

Nethaniah

Jørdan;70597296 said:
VRrLaFL.jpg

Does this come with the available DLC?

The Bring Down The Sky dlc should be available for free, EA has a link somewhere to a serial free version, Pinnacle Station isn't free but from what i've heard it sucks anyway.

Nobody really knows, it's market driven.

My guess is the Steam Summer Sale cards will slowly go up, since there won't be new ones dropping, and people will be a little more willing to drop some money to finish their badge.

As for the game cards, I doubt they are going anywhere but down since the supply is just so big.
Talking about the Summer Sale cards, I'm only level 3 but have voted 11 times. When I reach level 5, will I get the cards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom