• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

The Steam forums still exist? I thought they got replaced by the Community Discussions feature after the last hack. Forums suck I have no idea why anyone would run one.

Ahtm0Zo.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Let this be a lesson for always leaving Steam Guard active.

So many cards, I can't sell or trade them.

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.
I think there are far more important reasons to leave Steam Guard on than just being able to sell cards. But if that's what it takes for you to keep a reasonable level of security on your account, then Valve did a good job.

Bumhead

Banned
So what's the deal with idling for cards then?

I currently have Portal 2, BioShock Infinite and Alan Wake running at the same time. Obviously I'm not playing any of them (why on earth would I do a silly thing like that?)

Am I OK to just leave this in the background and they'll drop cards? How regular will the drops be if there are 3 on at the same time?

AlexBasch

I think there are far more important reasons to leave Steam Guard on than just being able to sell cards. But if that's what it takes for you to keep a reasonable level of security on your account, then Valve did a good job.
I only took it down for a goddamn hour because gmail was being a bitch. ;_; Apparently that was enough for Valve to tell me that they would let me trade again on the 24th.

Tecl0n

I hope Capcom understand why no one likes RE6. A game as big as that and not even in the top 20 as a daily

Which is too bad, cause RE6 has one of the best TPS systems out there, once you learn the controls that capcom forgot to put what combination did what. But, otherwise yeah money waster.

Glix

Surgery Simulator is a fucking riot. I'm having a blast playing this right now. I can't even get past the first mission!

with the monetairy value of those cards in the shitter, I think it's easier to just play the games and trade them to level up so you get a better chance of gaining booster packs and foils. Just my opinion.

@Glix: neither can I. :p

Thinking of getting left for dead 2, never played the first one either. Should i just buy only 2 and save the money or spend a bit more to get both? Is 1 really all that different that it needs to be played?

Tecl0n

Thinking of getting left for dead 2, never played the first one either. Should i just buy only 2 and save the money or spend a bit more to get both? Is 1 really all that different that it needs to be played?

Nothing, the content for the first l4d was ported to l4d2 no reason not to get 2.

You're not missing too much with 1, but frankly, I'd go ahead and get it regardless. Sales like these are few and far between.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The Steam forums still exist? I thought they got replaced by the Community Discussions feature after the last hack. Forums suck I have no idea why anyone would run one.
Especially when usenet does the job just fine.

with the monetairy value of those cards in the shitter, I think it's easier to just play the games and trade them to level up so you get a better chance of gaining booster packs and foils. Just my opinion.

I'm banking on Summer cards jumping in value after the sale. Trading all my cards for those.

I got Fallout 3 and New Vegas' complete editions. But I have played the hell out of both on consoles. If I'm going to play them again, I want the experiences to include mods. Any recommendations?

Quake1028

Also, I am assuming I am safe to wait until the 21st to craft the summer sale badge? I want to exhaust all my chances to get all 10 needed cards freely before I buy any of them. I currently have 5 of 10.

ElRenoRaven

I'd save your money and buy 2 only. You have the campaigns from 1 in it so the only reason you'd really wanna buy 1 is to play them without the updated mechanics, and the special infected from 2.

Also, I am assuming I am safe to wait until the 21st to craft the summer sale badge? I want to exhaust all my chances to get all 10 needed cards freely before I buy any of them. I currently have 5 of 10.

Yeah, you can definitely wait. But also note that every badge has five levels to craft.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I only took it down for a goddamn hour because gmail was being a bitch. ;_; Apparently that was enough for Valve to tell me that they would let me trade again on the 24th.
That's a little too drastic, I agree. But still, Steam Guard is there for a reason. In your case I understand why you disabled it, but that's probably the only way to force other people to have it on.

Prophane33

If you like rouge-likes and you like 8-bit platformers you may want to check out Super House of Dead Ninjas. Heck, you could sell a few cards you can pick it up like I did. It's a surprisingly fun little game -- it reminds me of something from the Retro Game Challenge/Game Center CX Nintendo DS game.

Get 2
It has all the missions of 1 for free

Nothing, the content for the first l4d was ported to l4d2 no reason not to get 2.

You're not missing too much with 1, but frankly, I'd go ahead and get it regardless. Sales like these are few and far between.

2 has all the maps from 1 and the superior versus mode, just skip 1.

ok cool will only get l4d2 then, thanks gaf.

antitrop

And Far Cry 2.
I fucking hated FC2, but I don't know if I would go that far. It wasn't as bad as those three games I mentioned, to me.

Resident Evil 6, MoH: Warfighter, and AC1 were all so bad that they made me question my ability to continue playing video games as a hobby. Far Cry 2 wasn't on that level.

bengraven

I decided this as well. When I can finish a badge for like 50c and it increases my level of booster packs? Yes, please.

How do we speed up leveling though? I've been playing games all weekend and I'm still only lvl 10.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yeah, you can definitely wait. But also note that every badge has five levels to craft.

I'm not understanding this part. How do you craft to the next level up? I have level 1 in Bioshock Infinite, Hotline Miami, and Walking Dead. What do I need to do to get to the next level badge?

I decided this as well. When I can finish a badge for like 50c and it increases my level of booster packs? Yes, please.

How do we speed up leveling though? I've been playing games all weekend and I'm still only lvl 10.

For each of the badges I crafted above I gained a level. I started the sale at level 5 currently at level 9. You also gain levels for buying games.

Grief.exe

I fucking hated FC2, but I don't know if I would go that far. It wasn't as bad as those three games I mentioned, to me.

Resident Evil 6, MoH: Warfighter, and AC1 were all so bad that they made me question my ability to continue playing video games as a hobby. Far Cry 2 wasn't on that level.

This is why I typically stay away from AAA releases.

The amount of dumbing down and homogenization makes me actually question whether I want to continue playing games.

BadAss2961

Far Cry 2 is the worst. It's like the game wants you to not have fun.

Buying games gets you 2xp per game, and badges. that is the only way

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Last ditch effort before the sale ends, is anyone hosting an AOE2HD 4 pack I can join?

The_Monk

I'm not understanding this part. How do you craft to the next level up? I have level 1 in Bioshock Infinite, Hotline Miami, and Walking Dead. What do I need to do to get to the next level badge?

You get all the Cards fellow GAFfer. Then you Craft your Badge. After that you Start to Collect all the same Cards again and, when you get all 10 of them again you can Craft another Badge for a Level 2 badge.

Hope it helps. :)

And Far Cry 2.
Far Cry 2 is one of the best AAA games released, solely because it plays completely unlike anything you'd expect from a AAA game.

I guess it makes sense as to why it makes it one of the worst in that categorization though, but I'd prefer bigger budget games to go that route instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom