• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zushin

Is Civ 5 reasonably ok to get into for a dummy like me who has never played RTS games before?

It's not really an "RTS" per se, as you take turns, and don't control an army in real time. It's more like a board game. Civ5 was my first Civ game, and I think it's excellent. You should be fine :) It's alot of fun.

Turfster

This Mars game any good?

I dunno. I've heard good things and not so good things.
I keep eyeing it, because the world looks interesting, but I'm afraid of the jank, so every time, I hesitate and kick it out of my basket.
Ah well, I'll get it eventually, I guess...

masterkajo

*patiently waits for dark souls again*

Dark Souls couldn't have come up as a flash deal since it was a flash deal already.
Dark Souls cannot come up as a community vote, since it was a community vote already and did not win.
Dark Souls will come up as a daily deal in the future
I hope. At least if Valve operates according to a system. *patiently waits for dark souls*

Cth

Ok, I just got Civ IV with all the add-ons.

Should I just bypass it and get Civ V instead?

Any quick selling points?

Woohoo! I thought I missed DA:O earlier.. glad to see it back as a Flash Sale.

I played it on the PS3 but never made it past the
initial part of visiting each city to enforce the ancient pact or what not.
So I believe I have a lot to see still!

Are the controls a lot better on the PC vs console?

Shakka

I am weak.

I told myself before the sale started that I wouldn't buy anything above 15€. Then Skyrim came along.
I already had the PS3 version and I didn't really want to double dip, but since I recently bought a new PC, I was tempted to do so as the PC version is, by all accounts, the way superior version. When I saw it as a flash sale I started looking up what you can do to this game with all the mods that are available. After seeing that, I couldn't resist anymore and 3 miniutes before the sale ended I bought it.

I feel weak, but at the same time really glad that I made the purchase despite breaking my own rule.

SparkTR

Woohoo! I thought I missed DA:O earlier.. glad to see it back as a Flash Sale.

I played it on the PS3 but never made it past the
initial part of visiting each city to enforce the ancient pact or what not.
So I believe I have a lot to see still!

Are the controls a lot better on the PC vs console?

Much better game on PC, plays from a top-down perspective like old-school RPGs.

Aranath

I'm still contemplating Max Payne 3. I played it once through on 360 but wished I was playing it on PC, but then I think about those damn non-skippable cutscenes...

The cutscenes are loading screens. Once the next section has loaded, you can skip away.

On the PC (depending on your hardware, of course) the loadtimes can be pretty short. On my PC, I can skip the cutscenes almost immediately.

It's definitely better on PC. A lot more beautiful and aiming is infinitely better with a mouse.

Crayons

Banned
I think they just ran out of good games on steam to put up. There's only like 100 good PC games.

kW6qGGS.gif

Then how do I have over 500 games?

Thinking about getting the base game of Civ IV.

Dragon Age - Origins/Awakening is so good guys. You all really should check it out. I never play those kind of games, but went nuts with Origins. What a great time. Probably going to rebuy the Ultimate for the DLC, since that never goes on sale on it's own through the Bioware Store, right? Also it should be simple to carry over my save from Origin right?

I am weak.

I told myself before the sale started that I wouldn't buy anything above 15€. Then Skyrim came along.
I already had the PS3 version and I didn't really want to double dip, but since I recently bought a new PC, I was tempted to do so as the PC version is, by all accounts, the way superior version. When I saw it as a flash sale I started looking up what you can do to this game with all the mods that are available. After seeing that, I couldn't resist anymore and 3 miniutes before the sale ended I bought it.

I feel weak, but at the same time really glad that I made the purchase despite breaking my own rule.

Not weak. Strong.

Oublieux

I remember last time DA went on sale I bought DA: Awakenings (as I loved the base game) only to realize the Ultimate Edition was available... just not in the country I reside in.

I actually THOUGHT about buying the DLC through Bioware since that's how much I was into the game, but it's never discounted on PC and would be more expensive than not--why don't they offer a bundled pack? The reasons are beyond me. I never felt so burned in my life.

Since people are asking, some more Mars War Logs impressions for those wondering:

It is like the witcher (combat is pretty much ripped directly, same skills etc) but with perhaps a much more interesting setting being a rough Mars environment.

There are some issues though. To give you an idea, here are some things that struck me as odd from the first 10 minutes alone:

• Straight away, the young boy lists his previous concerns before being sent to war as girls and acne. I wouldn’t think acne would be a big deal in a post Mars colonisation time period.
  • The boy mentions that he doesn’t know if it is day or night. Then they show that the container he is travelling in has a big window just above him with light streaming through it.
  • The first real interaction you get with another character involves them about to commit rape on the poor boy. That sort of sets the tone and gives you an idea of the themes to expect.
  • The young guy’s name is “Innocence”. Yeah…The MC’s name is Temperance. He just goes by Roy which is probably a good choice.
  • The voices are all kind of reminiscent of “The Lion King” and don't really match the art style. It is like Simba is walking around talking about prison rape which is kind of odd.
  • After a short tutorial battle, your first quest is a fetch quest to find a mechanic a wrench and some spare parts. This sort of sets the tone for some busy work.

That list may seem like it has some petty details on it, but the details do appear to be the problem. Just as you start to really get into the game (and there is plenty of game to get into), something janky in either the combat, movement animations or dialogue takes you right out of it and reminds you that it is probably a pretty low budget effort. It doesn’t ruin things, but there always seems to be something there that isn’t quite right.

Despite that? I think the game ends up just surpassing its budget shortcomings rather than being held back by it. Combat seems a little limited but is more or less ok. The script seems well enough written, even if the voices do not match it (nor do the lips sync up in the English track at least).

The graphics? They seem to hover around the “decent enough” mark with only some rough textures or clipping issues spoiling the effect here and there (by no means a problem limited to just this game).

Is it worth $9.99? Probably yes, but only just. You'd best be waiting for 75% off if the setting doesn't immediately grab you. For games of this type though? We are not exactly swimming in other choices.

JakeD

I'm still contemplating Max Payne 3. I played it once through on 360 but wished I was playing it on PC, but then I think about those damn non-skippable cutscenes...

that...the 27gb download, and the nightmare that is logging into rockstar social club. one of the most frustrating experiences in recent memory for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom