• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if it was just genre burnout due to it being release after D3 or what, but TL2 was one of the dullest loot games I've ever played. Just kinda forced my way through it to see how it would turn out. Torchlight's answer to Diablo 2 it was not.

How is killing floor? looks intersting and I'm getting the itch to grab something before the change.
Monster wave based co-op cash tossing class leveling persistence Harry Enfield.

Get it.

v0rtikal

Orcs Must Die owners, I really need to know if the DLC content is any good/worth the price or just get the regular, standalone version of the game.

antitrop

That's exactly what I did with Torchlight soo... I think I'll skip it. I said this before, but I think Torchlight is a mediocre ARPG that came at exactly the right time to catch fire. Looking back, it's not any better than FATE.

I feel the same way about Torchlight II. It's a huge improvement over 1 (monstrous), but it got an easy pass on its faults because it was released during the height of the Diablo III backlash.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
IdolNinja, the guy behind some of the best mods for Saint's Row 2 has posted a writeup about his experience previewing Saint's Row 4, and now I'm all of a sudden hyped for the game.

Hopefully GMG will have some decent discounts on the preorder.

antitrop

We posting the System Shock 2 modding guide, again?

http://blog.pcgamingwiki.com/modding-guide/821/system-shock-2-steam-modding-guide
http://blog.pcgamingwiki.com/modding-guide/821/system-shock-2-steam-modding-guide

Holy Deckard! Was thinking people too easily shouts "Fucking amazing game. Buy it. Do et. DO EET!" a little often. But it's that good eh?
Van Helsing is totally legit. I'm serious. I enjoyed it at least as much as Titan Quest.

Volotaire

Worse version of L4D2 (IMO).

ALSO can someone link and tell me which mods to DL for system shock 2? First time ever playing it.

Having played a bunch of L4D2, these games play very differently, I don't think you can compare them in that sense.

Killing Floor is a horde game, while L4D2 is a competitive versus games that incorporates both infected and humans.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How is killing floor? looks intersting and I'm getting the itch to grab something before the change.

In my opinion the best 'arena'-styled game out there. It has really satisfying gunplay, a vast array of different weapons and classes and enemies, is still one of the most played games on Steam and is one of mine and many others most played games on Steam, with some fantastic mod support as well AND the developers still release new maps and weapons into the game several times each year for free.

My favorite part (outside of the 6-player co-op) is the map design, they have a large variety of official maps that all play very differently and range from a giant stormy storage ship to London streets to a decrepit asylum where a rave party is going on to a large and vast farm. They are very different in theme, strategy, and layout.

The game has a learning curve though, be warned. It is not an easy game and the game rapidly goes up difficulty with each difficulty increase. You play the game normally by doing 4-10 waves of enemies, and then a 'boss wave' with the Patriarch at the end. Then are some fanmade maps that are story and objective based though, AND the game literally just updated a couple weeks ago to add a full-on objective mode, so more objective based maps should be coming soon.

It might take a while to try different classes and figure out your gun selection and what works best and is most fun to you. People often compare it to L4D for some reason, but they honestly have very little in common, both in how they play and what you do in them.

Karu

So Prison Archtitect will come as an daily deal eventually. Do we know the actual order of those featured-deals? (I guess not, but just to be sure)

diffusionx

Gold Member
In my opinion the best 'arena'-styled game out there. It has really satisfying gunplay, a vast array of different weapons and classes and enemies, is still one of the most played games on Steam and is one of mine and many others most played games on Steam, with some fantastic mod support as well AND the developers still release new maps and weapons into the game several times each year for free.

My favorite part (outside of the 6-player co-op) is the map design, they have a large variety of official maps that all play very differently and range from a giant stormy storage ship to London streets to a decrepit asylum where a rave party is going on to a large and vast farm. They are very different in theme, strategy, and layout.

The game has a learning curve though, be warned. It is not an easy game and the game rapidly goes up difficulty with each difficulty increase. You play the game normally by doing 4-10 waves of enemies, and then a 'boss wave' with the Patriarch at the end. Then are some fanmade maps that are story and objective based though, AND the game literally just updated a couple weeks ago to add a full-on objective mode, so more objective based maps should be coming soon.

It might take a while to try different classes and figure out your gun selection and what works best and is most fun to you. People often compare it to L4D for some reason, but they honestly have very little in common, both in how they play and what you do in them.

So Killing Floor is kind of like ME3 multi?

The_Monk

Bro watch it! It gets really good in the second season :).

I will fellow GAFfer! :)

Non-spoiler spoiler:
The comics were better

Toma... is that you? You know, I've been tempted to get a set of Comics just to raise some nerd level or something similar but I wonder how much expensive can such Collection get. But I've been curious about them. I remember reading something about The Last of Us Comics too.

By the way why no Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines decent discount! :( *runs*

Double D

I bought Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 and I'm actually having a great time with it. I'm a sucker for shooting dudes in the face with silenced sniper rifles, though.

derExperte

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11091/

Grand Theft Auto IV 75% off
Dead Island Series 50 - 75% off
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition 75% off
Fallen Enchantress Series 66 - 75% off
Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition 80% off
Batman Arkham City GOTY 75% off
Ace of Spades 75% off
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword 75% off
Evoland 50% off
Deus Ex: Human Revolution 85% off

Did Valve just post the new deals early?

Turfster

Agreed on your first point!

Yay, you got my good side!

Van Helsing is intriguing, but to be fair, it looks more like a -75% game than a -50% game for me. The RPS wot I think didn't really sell me on it. Still voted for it tho.

Here's hoping DX:HR got cards.

Nymphae

Banned

Ace of Spades 75% off
Evoland 50% off

Dark Souls is mine.

antitrop

It's all good, the fact that it's up for a vote confirms that it will get that discount at some point during this sale.

I can wait.
Anyone who waits on Van Helsing should be glad, they did kind of release the game broken at launch back in May.

They patched it like every single day for 2 weeks straight, I'm not even kidding. It's finally stable now, though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So Killing Floor is kind of like ME3 multi?

In the fact that you're in wave-based levels with a number of monsters to be defeated, yes. That's the main game mode, though there are mods for others, such as someone made a top-down mode mod, there's a vehicle mod to allow you to take control of various vehicles, and a recently released official mode lets you do objective maps.

Ace of Spades 75% off
Evoland 50% off

Looks like my wallet is safe today. Thank god.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I will fellow GAFfer! :)

Toma... is that you? You know, I've been tempted to get a set of Comics just to raise some nerd level or something similar but I wonder how much expensive can such Collection get. But I've been curious about them. I remember reading something about The Last of Us Comics too.

By the way why no Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines decent discount! :( *runs*

We waited like 3 years on that discount, gotta be patient :p

And yes, I love my comics collection, but I actually bought the TWD comics on iPad. Gets expensive VERY fast, but even though the series was pretty good... the comics still were better.

ElRenoRaven

I know all of you fellow GAFfers are busy getting some Cards, and speaking about this amazing sale here on the amazing GAF but today I finally found some time to play the 400 Days DLC for The Walking Dead.

I was trying to resist playing right now because I finished this game back in November and I wanted to get back to it in the Winter, because for some reason reason, this feels a game to be played in the cold Winter while you are drinking some warm coffee or tea at home (I know it may be silly but there are games I like to play on certain seasons of the year).

It really makes you want more out of it, however, I'm not sure about I made the best decisions but most of them I made with my heart. I hope more people can play the game for the first time and get the DLC down the road. I really liked, it just felt a little short, giving you the hunger for more. Thank you for everything, GAF.

uEQu58Wl.png

Yup. It's a great game. They hit it out of the park with this series. Even more then with thier past ones. Season 2 should be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom