• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
do you really tho

or did you post that staring at the monitor with a straight emotionless face
To be honest, I really had it. And now I'm laughing while reading this post, and picturing the whole situation in my head.

FEAR definitely ranks up there with Doom. Man the A.I. when FEAR came out blew me away, not to mention the time slow and gunplay. Damn, I wish I could relive the day I first played it.
Same here. So good!

I played F.E.A.R. at launch right before the 360 came out. I also played Call of Duty 2 on PC at the same time.

The 360 launch was hardly fantastic after that. Perfect Dark Zero... ugh.
The old CoDs are games I should play someday. I was a fan of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but never played the competition.

It's a solid, if unspectacular shooter. It's got it moments (Elexis' bath scene is.. well 3D Realms were an influence), and probably won't break the bank (I have no idea if it's even in the store anymore or what it costs)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1300/

Yeah, I could pick it up I suppose. If nothing better comes up, I may.

tilting_msh

Neo Member
Deus Ex: HR is an amazing game, anybody who hasn't played it, buy it. I'm looking forward to the Director's Cut coming to PC.

Any idea if the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series go on sale?

antitrop

The old CoDs are games I should play someday. I was a fan of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but never played the competition.
I never played Allied Assault, but I played CoD1 and 2 (as I mentioned) at launch.

Call of Duty 1 is a seminal FPS. People sometimes forget now that series started off with a nuclear explosion.

Gvaz

Banned
The new Tomb Raider is basically what Uncharted would be if:

- the combat didn't suck
- searching for collectables didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
- the characters didn't suck
- the customization didn't suck, oh wait, there isn't any customization in uncharted
KuGsj.gif

I was vaguely interested since what I had seen looked interesting, but I am very happy with getting this game now. So far it's vaulted itself into the running for my GOTY

Grief.exe

Deus Ex: HR is an amazing game, anybody who hasn't played it, buy it. I'm looking forward to the Director's Cut coming to PC.

Any idea if the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series go on sale?

STALKER has always had a franchise sale.

What worries me is STALKER hasn't seen a sale in 2013 so far. Has been mentioned, but both GSC and THQ closed down.

What are the chances for civ 5 to go on sale again?

Pretty good for a repeat.

Killing Floor? I will just PM you the link since no one else is showing interest right now.
Please let me know whether it works or not.

Received PM and the link was functional.

Thank you for your good will!

Now I must give back to the community before this sale ends.

Exeunt

both THQ and gsc died so no idea who will put them on sale :p

I mentioned this in the last thread, but the bundle apparently went on sale just before midnight on the 11th. It was subsequently pulled, so I don't know what that means (though I don't imagine it's a good sign). Quite a shame—I was interested in them as well!

antitrop

- the combat didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
- the customization didn't suck, oh wait, there isn't any customization in uncharted
KuGsj.gif

I was vaguely interested since what I had seen looked interesting, but I am very happy with getting this game now. So far it's vaulted itself into the running for my GOTY
My Top 5 this year:

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
4. Tomb Raider
5. Rogue Legacy

This year is fucking amazing.

catabarez

- the combat didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
KuGsj.gif

What is this?

- the combat didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
KuGsj.gif

Nah. Uncharted>Tomb Raider, but TR is still pretty good. Just a lot of rough edges.

antitrop

- the combat didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
KuGsj.gif

Don't get crazy, though. Tomb Raider's story is laughable dogshit. One of the worst.

I can't even think enough hyperbole to express how awful it is. Characterization for everyone except for Lara is nonexistent. Other than that the game is exceptional.

Toki767

- the combat didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
KuGsj.gif

Am I reading that wrong or do you really think Tomb Raider had better characters than Uncharted?

What is this?

It makes sense backwards, so that is how I assume he meant it.

Other than that, there were a lot of similar posts based around the first two hours. I myself thought it was pretty darn great starting out. By the end though, it was pretty clear to me Uncharted (2) was better in just about every way. Then the last of us happened and well...

I don't get people that knock the combat in Uncharted. The amount of mobility you have, especially with the vertical elements makes it a blast to play. Although complaints about the annoying helmet dudes are understandable, although I never found they were all that frequent.

In any case Tomb Raider's combat is like a low rent Uncharted(which is still fun) It never really gives you access to climbable buildings while fighting and the dodge button flat out breaks the game.

neoism

- the combat didn't suck
- the story didn't suck
KuGsj.gif

-_-.....UC2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TR....and I like the game

Gvaz

Banned
Am I reading that wrong or do you really think Tomb Raider had better characters than Uncharted?

Yeah.

I played Uncharted 1 and thought it was dogshit, as I explained earlier.

This feels to me like they took the uncharted formula and implemented it better.

I mean it's the same story really, MAGIC/ZOMBIE THINGS oh my, but the setting and pace are more enjoyable.

I haven't played Uc2 or UC3 because UC1 was almost, almost Assassin's Creed 1 levels of terrible.

Salsa

I really feel like im some really fucked up bizarro world when people say Tomb Raider is GOTY material

it's one of the worst AAA games ive ever played in recent memory. Just a package of everything that fucking sucks about modern videogames with a terribly-written, racist stereotype-ridden, mess of a story written by people who evidently thought they were writing some oscar-level shit cause it that takes itself so seriously IT HURTS.

just god awful, in all caps

like this:

GOD AWFUL

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good news all.

I have a system set up for custom profile backgrounds in Enhanced Steam that utilizes the "Sign in with Steam" authentication protocol that Valve provides.

I'm worried about releasing this particular version, because I'm worried people will think that this will somehow grant me access to your account.

In reality, it's just a way to authenticate your database updates without having to implement a whole new layer of security.

What do you think - will people be too paranoid to use it?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I really feel like im some really fucked up bizarro world when people say Tomb Raider is GOTY material

it's one of the worst AAA games ive ever played in recent memory. Just a package of everything that fucking sucks about modern videogames with a terribly-written, racist stereotype-ridden, mess of a story written by people who evidently thought they were writing some oscar-level shit cause it that takes itself so seriously IT HURTS.

like this:

GOD AWFUL

Not awful but it's not GOTY material

Yeah.

I played Uncharted 1 and thought it was dogshit, as I explained earlier.

This feels to me like they took the uncharted formula and implemented it better.

I mean it's the same story really, MAGIC/ZOMBIE THINGS oh my, but the setting and pace are more enjoyable.

Ok, so you are saying Tomb Raider is better than U1 in those ways?

Well I don't agree on characters or story, but I'm onboard with the rest. U2 is a different matter.

Tomb Raider's combat completely outclasses Uncharted in every way possible.

Tomb Raider is instant win for 99% of the game. The uncharted series has its flaws and is limited...but it is very well done for what it is.

like this:

GOD AWFUL

I don't think it was that bad. The customization of weapons was kinda neat and I liked some of the "platforming."

Vyer

The novelty of stupid humor in Surgeon Simulator wore off quickly and I remembered that fighting shitty controls isn't a 'game' nor 'fun'.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1) -- MB-038B9B29C6C0F9E2 - Taken by Kandrick

I'll have two more if Steam ever emails them to me.
LLShC.gif

tilting_msh

Neo Member
I mentioned this in the last thread, but the bundle apparently went on sale just before midnight on the 11th. It was subsequently pulled, so I don't know what that means (though I don't imagine it's a good sign). Quite a shame—I was interested in them as well!

Totally slipped my mind about THQ being dead. Like mentioned though somebody must be getting money when the games are sold...

I agree, though, the sale being pulled means something is haywire behind the scenes. That's too bad.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom