• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDown

Banned
0134_u7up.gif
I have to say that was the highlight of the campaign.

Nymphae

Banned
Can someone help me setup a giveaway? I've PMed a few users asking for help but so far no one is getting back to me. I have read the gifting guide, I'm just a little confused as to where I write the rules for my giveaway.

marrec

Banned
The developers of Gothic 1-3 left to make Risen. Arcana (Gothic 4) was made by a different developer, at the bequest of JoWood; which held the trademark for the gothic series.

So what you're saying is that Risen is really the game people were voting on here?

I heard Risen 2 was not a good game.

FloatOn

So how bad is Risen 2 compared to Risen? Is it worth $5?

I didn't enjoy it at all. I was only able to play it for ~6 hours so maybe it got better?

losing the semi-big open world for a sake of a bunch of small islands was a bad call I think.

voodoo and guns were broken far worse than the rest of the combat quirks. the story did nothing for me either.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So what you're saying is that Risen is really the game people were voting on here?

Also, I already have Risen 2, which means it was cheap somewhere else (either Green Man Gaming or Nuuvem), so I bet some people here already have it.

Yeah, it was mostly for Risen 1. I voted because of Pirates, but if it gives me Risen 1, I'm happy.

Tomodachi

Gothic and Risen = Good; Arcana = Crap

Get Risen. It's not related to Gothic or Arcana story or world-wise (afaik).

The developers of Gothic 1-3 left to make Risen. Arcana (Gothic 4) was made by a different developer, at the bequest of JoWood; which held the trademark for the gothic series.

Thank you both, I really think I'll get the first Risen then. Maybe I'll dive into the first 3 Gothic if I really enjoy it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Risen 2...has potential hidden under bad game balancing decisions. If you're wondering, for $5.00 it's worth it.

Thank you both, I really think I'll get the first Risen then. Maybe I'll dive into the first 3 Gothic if I really enjoy it.

If you like RPG's even at the cost of graphical fidelity and refined mechanics, I would really suggest the first three Gothic's.

Prophane33

Gothic 1 and 2 might be a little more difficult to get into these days, but for their time they were really awesome. Gothic 3 is pretty damn fun, but I believe was kind of buggy (but there's a lot of patches out there).

Eternia

Can someone help me setup a giveaway? I've PMed a few users asking for help but so far no one is getting back to me. I have read the gifting guide, I'm just a little confused as to where I write the rules for my giveaway.
With ModBot? You just put each rule on a separate line within the body of your PM. There's an example in the guide that Stump posted where he put it after the keys.

Ciastek3214

Come on people, answer fast, please. Any DLCs needed for Orcs Must Die 2?

Each DLC is about 3 extra levels and a few extra pieces of gear. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pass on it until another sale just to be sure you like (and play) OMD2.

Thank you, so buying just base game now.

nexen

This is the part where I jump in and say that Risen 2 was awful.

Risen 1, on the other hand, was glorious and I loved it to pieces.

Risen 2 also had severe rendering issues on my AMD powered laptop. Shadows and grass freaking out all over the place.

Everything Gothic and afterwards just completely passed me by, so instead of getting a trilogy of games I'd almost never jump into because the time investment would appear daunting, how is Risen? I know nothing of it, is it the kind of RPG where you end up being a jack of all trades type of character? I prefer avoiding using magic when possible in games, so is going without magic of any kind a viable playstyle in Risen?

Nymphae

Banned
With ModBot? You just put the rule on a separate line within the body of your PM. There's an example in the guide that Stump posted where he put it after the keys.

Shit I missed that, skimming it at work, my apologies. Thanks! Prepare to die!

Just saw your PM, I've sent back an explanation with an example.

here's the example:

PM to ModBot, title: register some awesome games
Body:
Bad Rats - ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Age of Empires - MNOP-QRST-UVWX
RECEIPT
NOWINNERSWEEKLY
ANONYMOUS
BLOCK Stumpokapow

you put them under the games, in different lines

MadSexual

Can anyone clarify once again the relation between Gothic, Arcana and Risen? Never got into the series and I might get something in half an hour but I would like to know if there's something worth playing today as well among them, something that doesn't feel too old and clunky maybe.
Gothic series is a cult hit for fans of Euro-jank (raises hand! 3 was actually my favorite!) General preference is 2>1>3, but good luck playing 1 on modern systems.

Arcania is considered a spinoff from the Gothic world since the main character's story ends after the third. It's a tedious but mildly fun hack and slash. Rather pretty in parts. Commissioned by the publisher who had rights to a fourth Gothic when PB split.

Risen is the newer PB IP and basically a polished Gothic set in a pirate world. Said to play very nicely with few bugs. R2 is supposed to be garbage. It was their failed consolization attempt.

Gothic rights are back with PB now. Interested to see if they do anything with it.

Prophane33

10 Minutes left, wow how time flies when you actually leave the house instead of sitting here all day...like I will continue to do now that I'm back inside.

Rezae

Fuck it. Bought Sleeping Dogs even though I played around halfway thru the PS3 version. The demo looked so damn pretty even on my 3 year old rig compared to PS3.

Plus.. cards.

What's up with people constantly idling Universe Sandbox, someone mentioned something about an achievement or drop or something, I see people spending 1000's of hours in that, whats going on?

ElRenoRaven

10 minutes to brand new
repeats

Probably sadly. I'm shocked we haven't seen as many bigger publishers getting into the sales this time. I'd kill to see Fall of Cybertron down to 20 or less. Same with some other publishers games yet nothing or if they do they're pitiful discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom