• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

Am sitting on a Dark Souls gift because I can't figure out this fucking Modbot system. The OP is confusing me. Do i need to send a PM to modbot with my "receive your gift" link first, and then keys are sent to me so I can write the "register" PM to modbot? Or does the "receive your gift" link get entered in the "register" PM in place of the keys? God damn I feel stupid right now. This is what I get for doing this for the first time while at work.

Theres a separate procedure if you want to send modbot something that's listed as a gift in your inventory.

Basically.. send the gift to yourself via email from within steam.

You'll get an email with a url link. You don't need anything after the ? part of the link.

Send a PM to modbot with a topic saying "register" and list the game and the url

It'll send you a reply back that you cut and paste into the thread.

Hope this helps, if you need help, let me know.

I'd read up on the developers and then thing again about giving them money.

People were quite willing to give money to Phil Fish, and he basically shit all over the indie community (not the Japanese stuff - read about the IGF crap he was involved in)

I don't see much difference tbh.

xtop

As I said, I love this game. Very difficult to beat. Very rewarding though when you do. Such is the case with Rogue-likes (or fake rogue-likes, whatever)

Thanks modbot for putting them in reverse order =P

thanks so much! i needed another game i could play on my mac during work that wasn't too intensive. can't wait to play

Stimpack

This is a Humble Bundle but worth a post in here. Fifteen Spiderweb RPGs, all with Steam keys:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

There are only 15 mins left so if you want it, better jump on it quickly. Fun turn-based combat, good character writing, inventive world-building, and great exploration are what these games are generally known for. What usually turns people off are the low-fidelity visuals, but if you can get past that, it's well-worth the experience.

I've played a good amount of isometric RPGs in my time, but I never got around to anything from Spiderweb. Where would you suggest I start digging into their content?

Volotaire

People were quite willing to give money to Phil Fish, and he basically shit all over the indie community (not the Japanese stuff - read about the IGF crap he was involved in)

The guys were giving out misinformation the game, banning guys from their forums among other things.

I thinks there's a BIG difference.

EDIT: STUmp above is correct.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really debating Dark Souls.

Never played either of the games, hear great things, my only concern is it is getting close to next gen, and once that passes, the likelihood of me completing my 4000+ hour backlog dwindles even more.

That said, I feel as if I am missing out on a phenomenon of sorts, and its only 8 bucks.

nexen

Fez is so good, I kinda don't care if Phil Fish is a dick or not.
Game is sublime.

I have no opinion on WarZ, except they were treating their customers poorly, not just pissing on other devs.

Prophane33

Wow, I didn't know this. I knew the guy was kind of an ass and he pissed me off with is comment about Japanese games, but I wasn't aware that he actually shit all over the indie community. Glad I didn't give him money then.

liezryou

So does anyone have any interest in interstellar marines (15$ on steam, hasn't been on sale yet). Before i trade it away, i shall ask any gaffer if he wants it for the low price of 10$ (paypal or steam wallet, either one works for me).

Grief.exe

Am sitting on a Dark Souls gift because I can't figure out this fucking Modbot system. The OP is confusing me. Do i need to send a PM to modbot with my "receive your gift" link first, and then keys are sent to me so I can write the "register" PM to modbot? Or does the "receive your gift" link get entered in the "register" PM in place of the keys? God damn I feel stupid right now. This is what I get for doing this for the first time while at work.

Go to your inventory, click on the item, select send gift, enter your email.

Then follow this guide

When you receive the email, scroll to the bottom. There will be a section titled, 'To receive your gift:' and a url below it.

Enter that URL in a PM to modbot in this fashion.

Game Name - https://store.steampowered.com/account/ackgift/A010G4A0EF24336F

The full code will look like https://store.steampowered.com/account/ackgift/A010G4A0EF24336F?redeemer=YOUREMAIL%40gmail.com
Delete the question mark and everything after it in the PM to Modbot.

being an asshole isn't fraud
fraud is fraud

????

Is this you Canadians sticking together? :)

The fact that he voted against his fellow indie developers, whom let's be honest, were pretty much living hand to mouth at the time, and barred them from the IGF awards because of an XBLA deal, and then went ahead and submitted his own game for the awards after agreeing an XBLA deal seems pretty unethical to me and a few levels beyond just being an "asshole".

Essentially: I'm an asshole. A huge asshole. But I can at least be secure in the knowledge that I'm a better person than Mr Fish.

The fact that he voted against his fellow indie developers, whom let's be honest, were pretty much living hand to mouth at the time, and barred them from the IGF awards because of an XBLA deal, and then went ahead and submitted his own game for the awards after agreeing an XBLA deal seems pretty unethical to me and a few levels beyond just being an "asshole".

Essentially: I'm an asshole. A huge asshole. But I can at least be secure in the knowledge that I'm a better person than Mr Fish.

We Canadians don't like french Canada :p

Zia

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

oh sorry i thought you actually wanted an answer to how they were different, instead you just wanted to remind everyone how you feel about something you don't like

Really debating Dark Souls.

Never played either of the games, hear great things, my only concern is it is getting close to next gen, and once that passes, the likelihood of me completing my 4000+ hour backlog dwindles even more.

That said, I feel as if I am missing out on a phenomenon of sorts, and its only 8 bucks.

It is absolutely worth it. It isn't for everybody but if you it is, you'll enjoy it and you'll have Demon's Souls to catch up on. I'd advise playing it blind if possible but even with next-gen looming, I am almost certain it will hold up mechanically.

Ok I'm done unless Bioshock Infinite becomes $10-$15 which I doubt.

As we've seen it on sale already for €30 (I believe, I can't remember the exact cost so for that I apologise, maybe it was €25) it won't go that low on Steam at the very least. Somewhere else may have it that low but the probability of such is marginal.

Stimpack

Tsk, tsk, tsk. I don't think I would feel that secure if I were you. Morally, maybe.

Nymphae

Banned
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls -- MB-0361CAB6D10DF3EC - Taken by Milchmann

Thanks for the help everyone! Enjoy!

Edit: Sorry for the NOWINNERS rule :p, thought I would be kind to those who haven't yet won anything.

Zeliard

Slight correction: Avernum: The First Trilogy isn't on Steam.

Ah didn't notice that, sorry.

I've played a good amount of isometric RPGs in my time, but I never got around to anything from Spiderweb. Where would you suggest I start digging into their content?

I would say their most approachable game is probably either Avernum: Escape from the Pit or Avadon: The Black Fortress. And of those two, Avadon is probably the most accessible as it is the more linear experience. I'd pick either one based on how much you enjoy open-ended exploration and gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom