• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
75% OFF fellow GAFfer :)
Yeah, 75% off.
YES.

The bad thing is that I need to clean my PC yet again, even though it's been less than a month since the last time I did it. Last night I tried to play the first Civ 5 tutorial and after 20 minutes it started overheating and the CPU underclocked itself (or that's what I believe always happens in that case), which meant the game slowed to a crawl. Same with XCOM's demo 2 days before. I really hate having to dust it off, but what can I do? The alternative would be not playing anything, and...

You know what? That's actually the right way of winning on Steam: not playing the stuff I buy.

I've been tempted to add it to my collection (of games I may never play!) as it looks pretty good, but I don't play those type of games so am unsure whether to bite the bullet or not.
Me neither, but I really liked the demo (once it stopped being a cutscene orgy, that is). I also liked Fire Emblem Awakening's demo on 3DS, and XCOM felt a bit similar to that one (I should get it someday).

oh sorry i thought you actually wanted an answer to how they were different, instead you just wanted to remind everyone how you feel about something you don't like

Oh come on, don't be like that. I honestly glossed over the whole "fraud" thing and read it as "unethical behaviour" because I genuinely thought you were being hyperbolic.

From what I remember at the time, they launched a game and advertised a bunch of features that didn't make it in. Doesn't seem much different to many MMORPGS that constantly nerf, reduce things and launch with the intention of patching things in later. I think to call it "fraud" is a little harsh. The game as it is now, looks to be a much improved version of what originally launched, and does indeed have many of the missing advertised features.

Surely fraud should be reserved for the Bernie Madoffs of the world? This seemed like a classic case of overpromising and underdelivering.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh come on, don't be like that. I honestly glossed over the whole "fraud" thing and read it as "unethical behaviour" because I genuinely thought you were being hyperbolic.

From what I remember at the time, they launched a game and advertised a bunch of features that didn't make it in. Doesn't seem much different to many MMORPGS that constantly nerf, reduce things and launch with the intention of patching things in later. I think to call it "fraud" is a little harsh. The game as it is now, looks to be a much improved version of what originally launched, and does indeed have many of the missing advertised features.

Surely fraud should be reserved for the Bernie Madoffs of the world? This seemed like a classic case of overpromising and underdelivering.

You can read about the game yourself and make your own decision about it.

Question for you guys.

Dark Souls, with the fix, and 360 controller on PC.

Is it worth getting if I've already played on PS3??

If so, what are the major pluses, and how many extra hours of content is there really?

Fez is supposed to be a good game. And as far as I know Phil Fish didn't falsely advertise his game, blamed customers for misreading when called out, made up his own rules on the Steam forums so he could silence and ban criticism, and then continued to break promises, mislead and disrespect for all eternity. Also Fez wasn't a rushed out, janky ripoff exploiting the popularity of an indie mod, and abusing the goodwill of the Minecraft model so they could put out a buggy piece of crap in order to beat Dean Hall to a commercial release.

Hammerpoint is a fraudulent scumbag company.

I got FEZ during the sale, and is one of the most refreshing games I played next to FTL. I don't know much about Phil Fish, but from what I've read, people are acting like he killed someone. Phil seems very passionate, from what I've gather from the Indie movie, and some interviews.

Salsa

Just woke up, these arent that bad. Sang-Froid, Van Helsing and specially Risen 2 are probably stuff i'd get if I wasn't on a pretty limited budget right now waiting for other specific deals.

Mhh, might grab one later, we'll see

Also, avoid Malkavian on your first playthrough.
This is one thing I'll disagree with. I'm not saying it has to be the first playthrough as it's generally considered mandatory to at least play through as a Malk eventually with it being one of the most unique experiences you can get in an RPG, but I'd say that first playthrough Malking is ideal if anything.

If you know what's going on with the knowledge of your prior playthroughs that spoils a bit of the fun, being truly insane without you as a player ever really knowing what's what is amazing.

antitrop

Question for you guys.

If so, what are the major pluses, and how many extra hours of content is there really?
Can't give an exact number on hours, but it's substantial content (same as console DLC that came out way later). The graphics are substantially better on PC, FROM created textures with extremely fine detail that were never even meant to be seen properly, until Durante.

It's worth a replay. DSFix is really fantastic, Durante did so much hard work.

Probably been asked before but, is any of the Magicka DLC worth picking up? Enough content in the base game?
Vietnam, Dungeons & Daemons, The Stars are Left and The Other Side of the Coin are the ones that have real content (plus achievements).

PS: Wizard Survival Kit has a pimp wizard hat.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Preference is given to games with cards. This much is obvious.

Speaking of which, what are the new cards for today? All I can tell is Dead Island (original, may have been part of yesterday's thing), Cities in Motion 2, Port Royale 3, and MacGuffin's Curse.

Am I missing anything?

Zeliard

Question for you guys.

The DLC content adds a few hours and features some absolutely marvelous boss fights, plus Durante's fix adds the option for greatly increased rendering resolution as well as an uncapped framerate, both of which combine to make the game much better-looking and responsive if your PC can handle it.

There's so much great art and while I still thought it was a pretty game on PS3 due to that, the texture work really, really shines through on PC at higher resolutions.

marrec

Banned
This is one thing I'll disagree with. I'm not saying it has to be the first playthrough as it's generally considered mandatory to at least play through as a Malk eventually with it being one of the most unique experiences you can get in an RPG, but I'd say that first playthrough Malking is ideal if anything.

If you know what's going on with the knowledge of your prior playthroughs that spoils a bit of the fun, being truly insane without you as a player ever really knowing what's what is amazing.

How about this:

The Malkavian playthrough is A-MAZING, but it may be a bit intimidating for someone who's not well verse in V:tM lore. So if you do play through a Malk first and you're not having a good time, switch to a different race and give it another go.

Speaking of which, what are the new cards for today? All I can tell is Dead Island (original, may have been part of yesterday's thing), Cities in Motion 2, Port Royale 3, and MacGuffin's Curse.

Am I missing anything?

Euro Truck Simulator 2, or did that already have cards? I don't remember.

How about this:

The Malkavian playthrough is A-MAZING, but it may be a bit intimidating for someone who's not well verse in V:tM lore. So if you do play through a Malk first and you're not having a good time, switch to a different race and give it another go.
Yeah, that's sound advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom