• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I have got good news for you! Blood Dragon is a daily deal today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/233270/?snr=1_7_15__13

Blood Dragon does have a deeper discount. It's only 40% off because Far Cry 3 is 40% off. (Or is it the other way around? :p)

Wasn't Blood Dragon like 6 bucks on the second sale day before shooting up for now reason. I would buy at that price. I don't see it on the Dailys today. I guess its on sale due to FC3 being on sale.

The DLC content adds a few hours and features some absolutely marvelous boss fights, plus Durante's fix adds the option for greatly increased rendering resolution as well as an uncapped framerate, both of which combine to make the game much better-looking and responsive if your PC can handle it.

There's so much great art and while I still thought it was a pretty game on PS3 due to that, the texture work really, really shines through on PC at higher resolutions.

Can't give an exact number on hours, but it's substantial content (same as console DLC that came out way later). The graphics are substantially better on PC, FROM created textures with extremely fine detail that were never even meant to be seen properly, until Durante.

It's worth a replay. DSFix is really fantastic, Durante did so much hard work.

Tempting...tempting...that's another 40 hours or so of my life wasted....meh
Thanks for replies!

How is binding of isaac? Like what are you supposed to do?

It's a twinstick roguelike. You move down through a dungeon getting upgrades, firing your tears and building upgrades. the artstyle is gross/wonderful. I found the controls to be too loose for a game that demanding, and it's surprisingly taxing (built in AIR with vector graphics). For a buck and a quarter though, if it resonates with you you could easily put hundreds of hours into it.

kathode

I've been waiting for Rogue Legacy to pop up in the dailies, but I haven't seen it yet. I checked today and it's listed as 20% off as part of the sale. Is this as low as it gets or should I wait to see if it comes up lower at some point?

How is binding of isaac? Like what are you supposed to do?

It's a roguelike top-down sidescrolling twin-stick game that's a clone of zelda's dungeon sequences. The goal is to fight the bosses of each basement level until you fight mom. There are several upgrades and items available to make you stronger.

It's a real amazing game that's worth it at full price.

Shambles

I got FEZ during the sale, and is one of the most refreshing games I played next to FTL. I don't know much about Phil Fish, but from what I've read, people are acting like he killed someone. Phil seems very passionate, from what I've gather from the Indie movie, and some interviews.

I think it's just the current witch hunt. I've still yet to see anything he's said that is all that offensive. I guess there are a few people who actually are offended that he think the Japanese dev community is garbage but, that's like his opinion man. You only look like a child if you get mad at someone because they don't like what you like.

bengraven

Saw Infestation, my heart jumped with excitement over a zombie game, then remembered why it sounded familiar.

First thought: come to GAF and make a joke. Second thought: joke is played out I'm sure.

Third thought, after arriving on GAF: ha, fuckers.

Wasn't Blood Dragon like 6 bucks on the second sale day before shooting up for now reason. I would buy at that price. I don't see it on the Dailys today. I guess its on sale due to FC3 being on sale.

It was and apparently it turned out to be a pricing error. Really fucking sucks because I was trying to pull the trigger on it but the store was taking a steaming dump. By the time I got purchasing to work the price had risen and now I'm on the fence.

Stimpack

It's a roguelike top-down sidescrolling twin-stick game that's a clone of zelda's dungeon sequences. The goal is to fight the bosses of each basement level until you fight mom. There are several upgrades and items available to make you stronger.

It's a real amazing game that's worth it at full price.

That pretty much sums it all up rather nicely. I second that the game is definitely worth it. There's a lot of content there for the money, if you like that sort of game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh come on, don't be like that. I honestly glossed over the whole "fraud" thing and read it as "unethical behaviour" because I genuinely thought you were being hyperbolic.

From what I remember at the time, they launched a game and advertised a bunch of features that didn't make it in. Doesn't seem much different to many MMORPGS that constantly nerf, reduce things and launch with the intention of patching things in later. I think to call it "fraud" is a little harsh. The game as it is now, looks to be a much improved version of what originally launched, and does indeed have many of the missing advertised features.

Surely fraud should be reserved for the Bernie Madoffs of the world? This seemed like a classic case of overpromising and underdelivering.
That's not how the market works. If you sell a product saying it currently has X and Y features and then it turns out that it doesn't have X and only has a gimped verson of Y then you're clearly lying to your potential customers. That is fraud: you're selling a product that doesn't exist, with the intention of making money from it.

Overpromising and underdelivering would be saying the game will have X prior to its release. What WarZ did was putting those nonexistent features on the store page, making no mention that they weren't available yet. That's fraud, and that's a crime.

Question for you guys.

Dark Souls, with the fix, and 360 controller on PC.

Is it worth getting if I've already played on PS3??

If so, what are the major pluses, and how many extra hours of content is there really?

I played the game on PS3, but the improvements more resolution and other enhancements like SSAO brings to the table, makes you appreciate way more the marvelous artistical direction of the game. Is truly one of the more beautiful games you can play on PC, even if it's not a tech marvel like other games.

I don't know about extra content but I thought they said over 7 hours...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really want Van Helsing.

50% is not that big of a discount.

I have 700+ games on Steam.

ilW1aYw3YI3h5.gif

Sullichin

It was and apparently it turned out to be a pricing error. Really fucking sucks because I was trying to pull the trigger on it but the store was taking a steaming dump. By the time I got purchasing to work the price had risen and now I'm on the fence.

I didn't realize that was a pricing error.. I must have gotten lucky. I thought it was only 40% off now because it's not specifically a daily deal, Far Cry 3 is 40% off.

Question for you guys.

Dark Souls, with the fix, and 360 controller on PC.

Is it worth getting if I've already played on PS3??

If so, what are the major pluses, and how many extra hours of content is there really?

I would say no if you play online a lot. The console versions of DS have a much bigger active player base. Although there is a surge of DS because of the sale, once it's over the numbers will go down and you will have trouble finding people to invade, summon, etc.

If you are interested on the DLC and running it at a much higher resolution, which by the way looks amazing, then yeah go ahead.

Stimpack

Makes me sad, to be honest. I grew up playing tycoon games and I have been playing RCT3 like crazy lately, so it'll be nice to have another game like it

I have played a substantial amount of Lemonade Stand, Zoo Tycoon, and Jurassic Park: Genesis.

It's definitely a shame that tycoon games are pretty much out of style. Definitely had a hell of a time with Tropico, though. I am really eager to see what they do next.

Stimpack

I was similarly surprised to discover that The Secret World is 40GB installed (though only an ~18GB download).

Ugh. I haven't even paid attention. You're telling me I have 40 GB of The Secret World sitting on my computer? I should probably play it some time.... but there are so many other games...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because the mouse and keyboard controls are really bad.

There is a mod that fixes that up slightly, but it is still significantly better with a controller.

The game doesn't even have kb&m button prompts; you have to mod them in.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
why is an xbox controller for dark souls recommended?
I'd recommend a DS3 for Dark Souls tbh. It uses a lot of shoulder button presses and the bumpers on the 360 pad are terrible. Either one would be infinitely better than a kbm though.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I know they are remaking Binding of Isaac so it's not longer in flash, will that be a re-release or an update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom