• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

If I already have Gods and Kings and dont' give a shit about Scenario packs - is there any reason to for me to upgrade to the Gold version of CIVV?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any new cards today?

I really hope publishers use this as a means of pushing impulse buys for their older titles. It takes them no effort to implement.

Not as far as I can tell, which is good as it gives me time to catch up.

You at least finished the first chapter, right?

The game doesn't get good until you can explore the town.

Lol no. I really should give it another shot. I did really like the characters but I don't know something just turned me off from it. I will probably jump back in soon sometime and give it one more shot.

BHK3

Banned

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can someone explain to me why Bully is so awesome?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39647329&postcount=151

My thoughts on Bully:
... Bully diverged, for the better, from R*'s usual fare. The scope being reduced helped a lot. Across all the GTA games, the only area that's ever felt remotely as well realized as Bully's city was the few blocks immediately surrounding CJ's cul-de-sac in GTA SA. Everything in Bully is by definition a landmark, because there's so few things in the city that everything that's there plays a purpose to the overall shape, size, and aesthetic of the city. Just about the only game this generation that's been quite so well crafted has been Deadly Premonition.

I like that the game combined a sort of Ivy League New England Prep sensibility (even the carnival and the cobblestone streets in the old city part remind me of small college towns) with a sort of Lost Boys-esque rough-around-the-edges lower-middle-class street fighting feel. It worked really well. I can't think of any games this generation that made such a clear visual impression on me. I also loved how the final area that opened up in-game, the power plant / trailer park / main city did a nice job of portraying the sort of blue collar / industrial district you'd commonly see in a GTA, but recast in a way that's appropriate for Bully's overall tone.

The passage of seasons, of course, was spectacular. I hope that it inspired Mafia II, which later used a time jump and season change to wonderful effect. I think everyone can agree the Hallowe'en mission was very well realized. I liked that most missions were pretty low stakes. They really did feel like the kind of thing knucklehead teenagers would do to kill time.

I liked the daytime cycle. It reminded me favourably of Skool Daze (which I think was the first and only pre-Bully game set in a school!). I liked having to constantly decide if I would try to do my schoolwork or use my time to press forward. I wish they had introduced more arduous time limits, to be honest. This also contributes to the strong location design--when you're constantly returning to Bullworth Academy, you get a feel for the spatial orientation and you begin to identify with it as "home base". Really great. A hub without being a hub. Again, CJ's house is the first comparison that springs to mind, but I'm also reminded of Legend of Mana and Bastion.

The school minigames themselves were not very enjoyable. I hope they won't get the wrong impression and remove them in any sequel. It's difficult to come up with a minigame that's accessible enough to be learned immediately, easy enough to make that it doesn't require tons of development resources better spent on regular content, but fun enough to make people want to play it. BioShock had a crummy minigame. Deus Ex had a crummy minigame. It's a hard nut to crack. I hope they crack it.

The game looks great, even though it's last generation, owing to the bright colours and clean, simple designs.

The music, of course, is spectacular. The use of bass is unparalleled in gaming and gave the whole game a really cool feel. I also like that Shawn Lee managed to convey a sort of Dennis the Menace / mischievous feel. Just in general it was a perfect match to the game. Skateboarding around while jamming to the soundtrack just felt really good. It felt really fun just to be a part of the world.

The only two beefs I have with the game are the observatory fight and the final mission, both of which I felt got a little bit too cartoony and maybe tried to raise the stakes too much in order to create a "setpiece". It smells of committee-driven design. I mean, they were fun and everything, but I guess I liked how generally believable the rest of the game felt.

It's my favourite R* game (GTA2 is the only one that comes close) and definitely in my top 25-30 or so of all time. Really, really wonderful game.

Dear Xelios,
KAm65cJ.png
Thank you!

MikeDown

Banned
perhaps my I be offered the opportunity to seek privilege into the initiation of and participation in the private brotherhood on the digital distribution of games network based out of washington. I here by submit my application, and hope in due diligence for approval.

Copenap

Fantastic. Started Dark Souls, logged in with my Live account and need to make an update but I get an error message every time and therefore now can't play. I guess what people say about GFWL is true...

Found the solution. The internet connection needs an mtu value of at least 1492 and mine was below that for some I reason. But holy fuck how can that even be? How can they expect people to figure that out? Btw. what's a good mtu value, I don't really have an idea about that.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
So Prison Architect is the last featured game, right? I'm guessing that after that we'll have two encore days, making tomorrow the last day for new deals.

weevles

Waaat. I voted for Bully during other (just as good) Steam sales and it never got picked. Now when I don't vote for it, it gets picked. Steam Community always votes against me. :(

cicero

perhaps my I be offered the opportunity to seek privilege into the initiation of and participation in the private brotherhood on the digital distribution of games network based out of washington. I here by submit my application, and hope in due diligence for approval.

I like your formal request, and then I go to add you and see the username "CaptCornhole". If I invite you as a friend I am bound to get some formal thank you response with random ascii penises in the comments section of my profile later.

mclem

i think this might be the year i crack and get train simulator...i just wish there was a demo :\

I'm sort of amazed that they've never gone the whole hog and made the base game free to play, really. I think it's actually fit for their business model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom