• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought I would enjoy a game like Binding of Isaac as much as I have. Played it for 8 hours this week and still have not managed to beat it. Maybe I could actually enjoy Roguelikes. :)

FACE

Banned
But it was also a thinly-veiled Half-Life 3 reference.

iqWMeJ7qL9utH.gif

Wait hold on... Rayman Origins doesn't have controller support? The steam page says it doesn't. If it doesn't have controller support then I'm already drawn off from it.

mclem

There is something definitely wrong with the card distribution system. I'd really like to know what it is from an infrastructure standpoint. Would I be right in saying that the cards recieved from *votes* have been instant?

Wait hold on... Rayman Origins doesn't have controller support? The steam page says it doesn't. If it doesn't have controller support then I'm already drawn off from it.

It doesn't have native support with the 360 controller, you'll have to configure it ingame.

Edit: I'm not actually sure though.

Mugatu

There is something definitely wrong with the card distribution system. I'd really like to know what it is from an infrastructure standpoint. Would I be right in saying that the cards recieved from *votes* have been instant?

My third vote is always on my phone. I do it when I get up in the morning and get to the gym. When I get home later and turn on Steam o my computer it always has the card drop in my inventory for me.

Karu

As the final day approaches, I slowly figuring out, what I want to spend the rest of my money (15€ - possibility for another 10) on.

Couple of older/smaller games:
Puzzle Quest (2)
Half Life 1&2
CS GO
Super Meat Boy
Grand Theft Auto Vice City/San Andreas

One big game
Prison Architect
Rogue Legacy
Kentucky Route Zero

Leaning towards the first block, but not sure which to choose. This is all in dependence of possible discounts though. Really curious which games will end up in my library. Since I know myself pretty good, probably games, I regret buying after 3 minutes, realising I bought into the hype, ignoring the fact I usually don't like this. (A pretty common mistake I make regarding game, oh so sad...)

Digoman

There's no way that's right. I didn't spend that much.

I should know better since I'm "veteran" of these sales, but after reading your message I:

- Took a look at the value Steam reported as spent on this sale. Thought "yeah, it's got be bugged".
- Added all the purchases on my account history.... "crap, not bugged".
- Looked at my wishlist for the final day of the sale. Cursed out loud.

And the new step for this sale:
- Started idling 5 games to get more cards and sell for pennies.

mclem

My third vote is always on my phone. I do it when I get up in the morning and get to the gym. When I get home later and turn on Steam o my computer it always has the card drop in my inventory for me.

seems like the case

I'm wondering if they've found someone trying to game the system and so now have more financial checks implemented on the purchase side, or something along those lines. That could - perhaps - account for these delays.

Raxus

inN2PTju5Gmo0.png

"I'll be taking this, thank you."

...The fiancé wants to go see Pacific Rim in like an hour, so that's the best I'm gonna do! Peace ouuuuut.

EDIT: Ahaha, figures I take too long and miss the deadline.

I hope someone gave you something for this. This is amazing.

Mugatu

I love Steam sales but I'm ready for this one to be over with - have barely been able to do any work all week. I spend all day idling for cards, selling cards, reading/posting in this thread, and watching video reviews of games on sale.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Why isn't Inversion a bigger thing on GAF while everyone loves (for example) Binary Domain? Sure, the beginning isn't all that great but the game gets craaaaazyyyy. Not going to spoil anything but the last third is just one amazing sequence after another. And damn are some of the weapons brutal, everyone's screaming and losing limbs around me. Glad I finally picked it up. Only problem is that it crashes to desktop from time to time.
No idea, but you reminded me that I wanted that game. I'll pick it up on the last day.

And I didn't really like Binary Domain much, thought it was just an average (albeit fun) shooter.

Crayons

Banned
I should know better since I'm "veteran" of these sales, but after reading your message I:

- Took a look at the value Steam reported as spent on this sale. Thought "yeah, it's got be bugged".
- Added all the purchases on my account history.... "crap, not bugged".
- Looked at my wishlist for the final day of the sale. Cursed out loud.

And the new step for this sale:
- Started idling 5 games to get more cards and sell for pennies.

oh my...you're right. it does add up. how did this happen?

Controller is probably the worst input method, actually. I prefer the iOS version, but I think the PC version is a fine alternative and unlike the phone version the leader boards haven't been hacked to bits.

Haha, yep, I just hooked up a controller now and I'd absolutely concur with you. I was expecting it to control like a top down shooter typically would as opposed to using the analogues or triggers to go left to right. For the iOS version, are you playing it on an iPhone/iPod or an iPad if you wouldn't mind me asking and if you've tried it on both, is it equally as enjoyable on both?

I never thought I would enjoy a game like Binding of Isaac as much as I have. Played it for 8 hours this week and still have not managed to beat it. Maybe I could actually enjoy Roguelikes. :)

You've made a very good choice in that purchase; the simplicity and randomness makes it quite addicting (as I'm sure you've noticed with eight hours already). Did you acquire Wrath of the Lamb too?

Salsa

Trials: Evolution port report:

it's... totally fine?

I mean sure it looks kinda crummy but im hitting 60fps easily with no drops, so far at least

gtx 680 2gb
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz

also the intro music might be the best thing Ive ever heard

Nethaniah

Trials: Evolution port report:

it's... totally fine?

I mean sure it looks kinda crummy but im hitting 60fps easily with no drops, so far at least

gtx 680 2gb
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz

also the intro music might be the best thing Ive ever heard

The game still has issues, sometimes it stutters / gets choppy really bad yet when i look at my fps it's completely stable, weird stuff, overal it's playable but it could use a good patch that's for sure.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Quick question about game purchases and cards: When they say "for every $10 you spend" do they mean each time at check out or cumulatively? I spent about $14 across 2 days on the store but I never got an extra card.

Prophane33

Quick question about game purchases and cards: When they say "for every $10 you spend" do they mean each time at check out or cumulatively? I spent about $14 across 2 days on the store but I never got an extra card.

Cumulatively, it's kind of bugged right now though, takes awhile to get the card.

Edit: Beaten like a bad rat.

Salsa

The game still has issues, sometimes it stutters / gets choppy really bad yet when i look at my fps it's completely stable, weird stuff, overal it's playable but it could use a good patch that's for sure.

that happened just now. Pressed back to restart the race (no loads or anything) and it fixed itself

I really wish it was Steamworks so I could give a shit about the achievements tho. Seems like the perfect game for it.

Tenrius

So I just played through DLC Quest and its actual free DLC (hehehe) and it wasn't that great. Just a bunch of obvious references which were only sometimes appropriate, didn't really do much to me besides being mildly entertaining.

I AM VERY CASUAL GAMER. i AM CHEAP GAMER. MY COMPUTER IS NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH. i WANT GAME THAT WILL LAST LONG TIME. \\ANY RECOMMENDATION. i CAN NOT SPEND MONEY MORE THEN 8 DOLLARS.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick stop in this thread before returning to it but I must say that Super Hexagon is far better than I expected it to be (but it's also far, far more difficult than I was expecting). The music suits the game and is decent (I admittedly don't listen to music so perhaps others with a more attuned ear will disagree) while the art style is beautifully simple and clean making good use of bright, vibrant colours and simple shapes. It is the gameplay, as simple as the art style, where this game soars. Addictive, fast paced, tense, filled with frantically made strategic decision, and all managed by two simple buttons, left and right. Strategic decisions may seem a bit ridiculous to some considering all you do is decide to go clockwise or anticlockwise around your shape but they couldn't be more mistaken as simple things such as 'which way is the shortest way to the gap' become mind-bendingly difficult as the pace of the onslaught drastically increases as every second ticks away and you become required to navigate a labyrinth of solid colour blocks at breakneck speeds. The simple goal of the game, in which you merely move in a circle around a changing shape to avoid blocks that extend to the length of the side, shrinking as they become close to the shape (I have explained this poorly. Basically, each corner of the inner shape is extended to the edge of the screen. If it's for a pentagon for example, there are five sides. This means one block fills one fifth of the screen at a time, that side, getting smaller as it reaches the centre. Really, just watch a video; my explanation is quite poor I feel) assists the immense difficulty (both due to the speed and how disorientating the constant movement of the background/shape and you can be), in which you can very easily lose in the first then seconds, in making a thoroughly addictive game (and thankfully restarting can be done at the touch of a button following death with a near instantaneous load so you aren't bogged down by failure). Will it get old? Time will tell, but the core gameplay is fun enough that I can easily see it lasting many hours.

I wasn't expecting it to be so enjoyable.

EDIT: Also, as far as I'm aware this is available on iOS too, right? I can barely comprehend how difficult it must be with touch controls unless the implementation was/is very well done.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. It may seem impossible at first, but keep at it. You'll beat all 6 stages sooner or later if you don't give up.

I've got this on my wishlist, but I'm wondering how it compares to the iOS version. Does anybody know? I'll probably bite on the last day of sales (can't really say no for a buck), but I'd like to know :)

oh btw I'm a big fan of VVVVVV and I know it's made by the same dude, Terry Cavanagh, so people should check that out too!
I only played it on Steam and Android. The latter runs a little more fluently, and the PC version can suffer from a hitch every now and then, but it's still great pretty much all of the time (it may be my PC's fault, I don't know). I prefer controlling it with the mouse than with touch controls, so in that aspect the Steam version wins.

This was my concern. I mean, it screams mobile game and I can't imagine it as enjoyable on a PC.
It is. I have a little over 11 hours played, according to Steam, and a couple more on my phone. It never gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom