• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

GA: Heartbeat 15:14:58.146000
GA: Giveaway Process: Starting new giveaway add pm 15:14:59.082000
GA: Giveaway process: new giveaway created by Cth 15:14:59.332000
GA: Giveaway Process: Sent setup PM to giver Cth 15:15:00.194000

Did you not get the PM from him?

Nope. :D

Tellaerin

"There are certain times in our lives we see something that completely changes the way we view media. Albert and Costello, The Beatles, Bad Rats.

Are you a bad enough dude to save the rats from physics?

Well are you?!"

Oh my God.

Bad Rats definitely changed the way I view media. >.>

And "Albert and Costello"? Really?

I have never seen one just the ones people post with the winners in it. I must not follow the thread close enough

The post gets automatically updated to show which ones have been taken, and by who. You' ve probably just been seeing them after they're all gone.

EDIT: beaten

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I got this during the winter, still havnt played any because the first few fear games are 17 gigs

It'd be nice if WB fixed this. The expansions aren't worth playing and having to download an extra ~12GB worth of data (I assume the actual download size is slightly less) to play the original game is a tad excessive.

Tomodachi

I just read the best review ever, from Garry Himself.

Way back when I was a wee baby, there was a saying amongst the other babies in the village: "euugghhhffffppth." It was commonly said to reassure each other that when you least expect it, the prey can easily become the predator, and the predator can become cat meat, thus is the pivotal theme of Bad Rats, one of the most influential games I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

No game has captured the ever-shifting dichotomy of the predator/prey relationship quite like Bad Rats. This game takes the classic 'cat and mouse' trope and flips it on its head by putting you in control of a band of rebellious rats fed up with their place in the food chain.

The physics are very realistic, almost to a fault, but serve a thematic purpose in their variability, which is that radical movements don't always go as planned, and in a 'david and goliath' situation like the one in Bad Rats, even the forces of the universe are working against you. Plus, the rats look like real rats, at least the ones from my childhood, and the marriage of realistic visuals and complex physics really help to immerse you in the game's universe.

Bad Rats is an undeniable triumph in interactive narrative, and even overcomes the classic story-game pitfall by also being fun to play. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll discover things about yourself, and with its bargain price you have no excuse not to play this gem.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
It'd be nice if WB fixed this. The expansions aren't worth playing and having to download an extra ~12GB worth of data (I assume the actual download size is slightly less) to play the original game is a tad excessive.

The games missed the compression revolution when it comes to textures

This is another GREAT one:

"Way back when I was a wee baby, there was a saying amongst the other babies in the village: "euugghhhffffppth." It was commonly said to reassure each other that when you least expect it, the prey can easily become the predator, and the predator can become cat meat, thus is the pivotal theme of Bad Rats, one of the most influential games I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

No game has captured the ever-shifting dichotomy of the predator/prey relationship quite like Bad Rats. This game takes the classic 'cat and mouse' trope and flips it on its head by putting you in control of a band of rebellious rats fed up with their place in the food chain.

The physics are very realistic, almost to a fault, but serve a thematic purpose in their variability, which is that radical movements don't always go as planned, and in a 'david and goliath' situation like the one in Bad Rats, even the forces of the universe are working against you. Plus, the rats look like real rats, at least the ones from my childhood, and the marriage of realistic visuals and complex physics really help to immerse you in the game's universe.

Bad Rats is an undeniable triumph in interactive narrative, and even overcomes the classic story-game pitfall by also being fun to play. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll discover things about yourself, and with its bargain price you have no excuse not to play this gem."

EDIT: BEATEN.

DukeBobby

That's 11 copies of Bad Rats and 4 copies of Dinner Date I've given away in this sale.

I'm by far the most generous person in this thread.

Hrm.. is ModBot having issues?

Just tried to register a giveaway but haven't heard back from it in a bit.

I remember seeing someone had an issue earlier..?

I had this same problem a few days ago. Registered a key, never got a reply. Tried registering it again, got a PM saying that one had already been registered.

Also, 2 days ago I claimed a key from Sykotic but never got a PM from ModBot either, he sent it to me directly.

ModBot just doesn't like me. :(

chugen

Where Firefly is in its 10th season right now... :(
ASVcOVk.gif

It wasn't awful, taken on its own merits. I didn't hate myself for playing it. It just wasn't a very good DX game. If it had been pitched as a new IP, it might have been received more favorably. But the original DX would be a hard act for any game to follow, and people judged IW accordingly.

I had a decent time with Project Snowblind (the FPS that started out as Deus Ex: Clan Wars), too. Maybe they should've spun IW off into a non-DX universe like they did with Snowblind.
That's definitely true, times were different then as well. I imagine had Human Revolution came out back then it would've also taken a beating for straying from the original, but nowadays it's championed as a return to form. These kind of FPS RPG blends are just so rare though that even back then I enjoyed Invisible War despite all the disappointment surrounding it at the time and the stigma that's stuck to it since.

I know it's only $2.50 but if I can't get over the graphics, it becomes like playing Dark Forces on the PSX. :(
I dunno man, can you not get over PS2 quality assets? It's no looker but it's a shame if that's the only thing that's gonna keep you back.

Speaking of, I've never been a huge fan of visual mods for games and Deus Ex's is no exception. Take for example Anna Navarre as she originally appears. She's blocky, her textures are blurry, but she looks fine to me. She's not overly detailed or anything but it's not distracting as she currently is, my mind can fill in the blanks.

v5L4Myv.png

Now as she is in the HDTP, the visual mod for character models.

Oh god what have we unleashed to the world kill it with fire.
SiHR0GM.png

What deems if a game has cards? I saw some said Super house of dead ninja had cards, but it doesn't say so when I go to the screen to buy it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Does F.E.A.R. have a widescreen mod?
Not that I know of, but you can manually edit the config files to set your desired resolution: http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/F.E.A.R.

Bear in mind that the UI will probably look really small, especially the subtitles, but it's still readable.

Shaddap Jase, yes they are, yes they are!

I remember when I first played IW when it came out without ever playing the original and even back then I thought it was interesting but mediocre as hell. Then I played the original and was blown away by how this older game was vastly better in nearly every single way possible.

TheContact

I voted for Sim City 4 because:

1) I want it
2) I have Civ V Gold
3) Age of Empires was already 50% earlier on this sale and was also on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom