• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
You recruit assassins by helping them out of a tight spot, which is interesting, and you can customise their gear, but the actual training component is light; you just send them off on missions. If you've ever mucked around with AssCreed Unity's companion app, it's much the same thing.

Is the facebook stuff on that dead now? I don't remember if that was ever important or just gave you extra money. I remember it being kind of neat at the time.

A Dave Lang memorial badge, yes.
giphy.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting, thank you.

What about the building/taking back part of the city? I am big bitch of progression and if those mechanics are also cool I would probably pick it up since it's in the bargain bin.

There's very little depth to it. Buying/upgrading a landmark/store is just a matter of having enough money and, with the exception of aquaducts acting as fast travel points, just earns you income, a discount and a greater selection of items.

Is the facebook stuff on that dead now? I don't remember if that was ever important or just gave you extra money. I remember it being kind of neat at the time.

I think you can still play the game if you really want to, but it's no longer necessary.

Shari

There's very little depth to it. Buying/upgrading a landmark/store is just a matter of having enough money and, with the exception of aquaducts acting as fast travel points, just earns you income, a discount and a greater selection of items.

Ok I'm passing then, not interested in the story or the gameplay so I was hoping for a bit more depth on those things. Too bad.

Thanks!

Wok

So far, I have only caved in for HackyZack, which I think has the most enticing discount of these sales.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry, I meant for Brotherhood. There was a facebook app you could send your Brotherhood out on missions but I don't remember if it did anything other than give you money.

Ah. Yeah, that was shut down back in 2013. It also unlocked a couple of capes.

Ladekabel

Sorry, I meant for Brotherhood. There was a facebook app you could send your Brotherhood out on missions but I don't remember if it did anything other than give you money.

Oh man, I remember Project Legacy and the feeling of emptiness when the money I earned in it popped up in the game.

Aranath

Would I be at much a disadvantage story-wise going into Metal Gear Solid V, having only played 1, 2 and 3? Never played 4 or any of the PSP titles.

Would I be at much a disadvantage story-wise going into Metal Gear Solid V, having only played 1, 2 and 3? Never played 4 or any of the PSP titles.
Just make sure you play Ground Zeroes.

If you really wanted to get caught up, you could play MGS3 and Peace Walker, but it's not really necessary.

Just expect everything storywise to be very weird, and you'll be fine just jumping into MGSV. It's the gameplay that's great, while the story is nonsense.

CHC

Alright nobody's getting blamed today, Hollow Knight was a solid recommendation. Just got my map and compass and so far, so good. The presentation is beautiful, but my favorite part so far is the enemy attack patterns. Like in Dark Souls, they are well telegraphed and make sense for the enemy's general body shape, but yet are still capable of chipping you down if you get sloppy.

Don't worry, it makes no sense for anyone. It's not a fitting resolution to the series for fans or for newcomers. It mainly continues the story bits from Snake Eater and Peace Walker, but it doesn't do that well. Far more gameplay driven than any other MGS game.

WarRock

How much content Dead Cells has at the moment? I don't buy Early Access games but it's been tempting me so much.

I'm looking for interesting character action games, preferably cheap ones

I've played:
Bayonetta
Nier Automata
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Transformers: Devestation
Furi
DmC
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

I've got and have yet to play:
The Legend of Korra
Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4

Any recs? More in the line of Furi, top down, would be good if possible
How's Hikae? And you may be interested in Valdis Story (shit really opens up when you unlock more weapons for the MCs, and the extra characters are pure fun) and Rainblood Chronicles: Mirage. Haven't played them so can't vouch for quality: Onikira, Abyss Odyssey, Croixleur Sigma, Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan

So I bought Fable Anniversary for nostalgia sake as I got Fable 1 with my OG xbox. I am pretty sure this port is bad though. There is some random stuttering (FPS doesnt drop) and the camera is probably the worst camera I have ever had the experience of playing with. It doesnt even make sense, it just randomly zooms in as you are walking a lot of the time really close.

I am going to look for some tweaks but I cant recommend the port even if I really like the game. I will keep it as I want to power through before Fable 3.

Tizoc

Gonna start buying games I want on July 4th, before the sale ends. That's when Humble puts up the new bundle (hopefully..) and bundlestars et al may have bundles of interest by then.

So I bought Fable Anniversary for nostalgia sake as I got Fable 1 with my OG xbox. I am pretty sure this port is bad though. There is some random stuttering (FPS doesnt drop) and the camera is probably the worst camera I have ever had the experience of playing with. It doesnt even make sense, it just randomly zooms in as you are walking a lot of the time really close.

I am going to look for some tweaks but I cant recommend the port even if I really like the game. I will keep it as I want to power through before Fable 3.

Fable 3 is completely awful though. so if that's your goal, I would quit now, or maybe at Fable 2 if you have an XBOX to play it on.

Fable 3 is completely awful though. so if that's your goal, I would quit now, or maybe at Fable 2 if you have an XBOX to play it on.

I think I already played Fable 2 and 3 but it was a long time ago and I remember enjoying them. (Maybe I was young and didnt realize good games). Also I am running out of 3D western RPGs to play on PC so....there is that too.

Ascheroth

I think I already played Fable 2 and 3 but it was a long time ago and I remember enjoying them. (Maybe I was young and didnt realize good games). Also I am running out of 3D western RPGs to play on PC so....there is that too.
Xanadu Next is 3D.
But not western. But that shouldn't stop you!

Aaron D.

Holy Fuck... Rimworld is amazing... Worth every single penny I've already put into it.

Yup. Game is refreshing as hell. It was my #2 last year just behind Stephen's Sausage Roll.

I always wanted to get into Dwarf Fortress, but the ASCII presentation and bottomless depth were always too much for my puny brain.

RimWorld strikes the perfect balance of approach-ability vs. depth/complexity/possibility.

Anyone feel like giving some buying advice?

I have a thing for turn based on PC... so even though I've heard it's amazing unexplored is actually a huge maybe since I worry it won't run well on my laptop.

Just to let you know, you can run Unexplored on a toaster, so that shouldn't be an issue. But to be safe you could always pick it up and try it before the sale ends and simply get a refund if it doesn't work on your laptop.

From your list I'd seriously consider Unexplored and Endless Legend (Classic Edition).

Endless Legend is a really neat take on the Civ formula. It's got interesting narrative hooks in that each race has original story beats in addition to unique gameplay mechanics.

I was just thinking about getting the Steam version of Fable for convenience and playing through it for nostalgia's sake.

After reading your post, is the original Lost Chapters still the way to go? I don't care for the improved graphics, I just want the version that works best. Does anyone know?

Tomasety

Is there a list of "official" sellers vs "gray market" sellers? Anyone have a list or ways to find out?

I keep forgetting CD keys is more "official and safe" than G2A.

Did you mean official by authorized sellers?

Grey market sites are divided in two different types. (as I see them)

1) Sites like cdkeys, instagaming, playasia (only digital codes I believe)
etc.. The former sites mentioned are the most popular.

2) Marketplaces like g2a, kinguin, gameflip

None of the above are authorized digital sellers (except playasia physical goods)

Sorry for the late reply.

c0Zm1c

I thought the port was good back when I played it but I guess it's a YMMV thing. I don't recall having any issues with the camera and I didn't have the stuttering either but the latter was a fairly common issue as I recall (I don't remember but there may be a specific fix for that).

I thought the port was good back when I played it but I guess it's a YMMV thing. I don't recall having any issues with the camera and I didn't have the stuttering either but the latter was a fairly common issue as I recall (I don't remember but there may be a specific fix for that).

I am going to tweak with some settings and google some fixes, maybe its just a me issue

I was just thinking about getting the Steam version of Fable for convenience and playing through it for nostalgia's sake.

After reading your post, is the original Lost Chapters still the way to go? I don't care for the improved graphics, I just want the version that works best. Does anyone know?

It looks decent enough and as the previous poster said, it appears to be a YMMV type thing based on a google search. Try it out and return it if you are having the same issues as me. I dont know about Lost Chapters as I have never played the PC version.

Paragon

All this talk about Planescape: Torment is really making me want to play it, but they still haven't fixed zooming in the Enhanced Edition at high resolutions.
Either you lock the game to 1:1 like the original/GOG version of the game, or you're stuck with an upscaled image if you have zooming enabled and your screen resolution is higher than 1920x1080. It doesn't let you zoom out to 1:1.
Reported the bug on day 1 and it still hasn't been fixed 3 months on.

At least the latest patch now enables linear scaling on the gameworld instead of only sprites, so that things don't get really aliased when you zoom in - though an option to only zoom in integer steps without filtering the image might be preferable.

Did you mean official by authorized sellers?
Grey market sites are divided in two different types. (as I see them)
1) Sites like cdkeys, instagaming, playasia (only digital codes I believe)
etc.. The former sites mentioned are the most popular.
2) Marketplaces like g2a, kinguin, gameflip
None of the above are authorized digital sellers (except playasia physical goods)
Remember that, if publishers expect to be able to use the global market to sell their goods, consumers should also be able to take advantage of it when buying goods.
There is nothing inherently wrong with buying "grey market" keys. The main drawback is that you're unlikely to get a refund if you have an issue with the game.
Just check that they will activate in your region before buying. Those restrictions existing at all are a whole other can of worms.

I would generally recommend avoiding the marketplaces, since they do not have good checks in place to prevent people selling stolen goods, or protections against it.
They will try and sell you insurance though.

I am going to tweak with some settings and google some fixes, maybe its just a me issue

It looks decent enough and as the previous poster said, it appears to be a YMMV type thing based on a google search. Try it out and return it if you are having the same issues as me. I dont know about Lost Chapters as I have never played the PC version.

Alright, guess I'll just gonna go with the Anniversary Edition and hope for the best.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Forge of Gods Dragon Trainer Pack -- MB-7A4BAD4770164870 - Taken by Sarcasm

Just add the f2p game to your account first, than redeem this key for an easy +1.

dKwDBaL.jpg

So, 21 games for $64 and change. (Black Mirror bundle is 3 games.) Not bad.

I'm most excited for Tennis Elbow, Mount and Blade...

Dead End Road is some crazy horror driving game, i like it a lot. Mount & Blade will steal your time, a beast of a game (franchise)!

Have fun.

I´ve purchased Game Dev Tycoon, fun game worth the price. The other one is Age of Wonders III, checked it for an hour, first impression is that i like Endless Legend more, but there aren´t that many games like civ or endless legend. If someone has one recommendation for turn based strategy/RPG games i´d be very happy.

I have
Civ 5 - 10
Xcom - 9
Endless Legend - 9
Endless Space - 7
Galactic Civilization - 7
Stellaris (there are too many options imo, 2 hours played)
Crusader Kings - 8 (slightly too many options, quitted after 80 hours, ugly engine imo)
Hearts of Iron (too many micro options, quitted after 4 hours)
Shadowrun games 9
Valkyria Chronicles 7 (controls and UI are bad, awesome artworks and design)
Banner Saga 7 (solid)
Thea: The Awakening 9 (Unique setting, nice crafting, cool story-telling)
Dead Age 7 (solid)

I wish there was a turn based Rise of Nations game.

So if someone has a good balanced turn based srpg/strategy game please post it.

I´m waiting for Battletech, Mount & Blade 2 and Thea 2.

So far I have:

Dead Cells (Great - Rogue Legacy but better. One complaint is that the upgrades are all kind of boring)
Hollow Knight (Amazing - Game of the Year but possible Game of the Generation)
Fable Anniversary (Meh - I enjoy the game but I am having some technical difficulties. Looks decent enough though)
The Technomancer (Okay - Essentially Mars War Logs but definitely better. B-tier at best but for the price it is serviceable.)

Will pick up on the last day:
Axiom Verge (all 2D Metroids are amazing so I have high hopes, although I fear after beating Ori and Hollow Knight this month I will be disappointed)
Subnautica (has been on my wishlist for too long)
Mystery Games (I will probably buy more with card money)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wish you could disable games with mixed or lower reviews, I've been spamming the queue this sale trying to find some cheap gems to play but there's so much trash to sift through.

BadWolf

Don't listen to the haters, the story in MGSV is great and the way it closes the loop on the MGS story is fantastic.

You will definitely be at a disadvantage if you haven't played any MGS game after 3, in particular it is a direct sequel to Peace Walker on PSP (Ground Zeroes literally takes place days after Peace Walker ends). You can play it via an HD collection iirc but you could also check out the cutscenes and listen to tapes on youtube if you like.

MGSV does introduce a lot of new characters, themes, story threads etc. so there is still a lot to enjoy even if you aren't up to date with the series.

Make sure to play Ground Zeroes first (and listen to all the tapes) before playing Phantom Pain. They are both part of one whole (like the Tanker and Big Shell chapters in MGS2).

I wish you could disable games with mixed or lower reviews, I've been spamming the queue this sale trying to find some cheap gems to play but there's so much trash to sift through.

Yea the queue gave me some really bad games but sometimes you find a gem. Yesterday there was a game called "poop in the dark" or something? It was a horror game I think...I dont know if steam was trying to troll me or not.
Found it: Dump In The Dark

For cheap games I usually sort by rating in the sub-$5 category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom