• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I wish you could disable games with mixed or lower reviews, I've been spamming the queue this sale trying to find some cheap gems to play but there's so much trash to sift through.

Some of them aren't THAT trust worthy though; some of the mediocre reviewed or mixed scored games might actually be enjoyable for you.

Aaron D.

Heh. This will likely go down as the cheapest Steam Sale to date for me.

Feels good, tbh.

So far I've only gifted out Candice DeBébé's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle.

Haven't purchased anything for myself, but I do have my eye on a few >$5 titles.

The Sea Will Claim Everything
Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
Orwell
Dead End Road
Virginia
Firewatch

Even if I nab that entire list, I'm only looking at roughly $20 spent.

That's gotta be a world record for me, lol.

Feeroper

I want to get some of the Crusader Kings 2 DLC while it is on sale as I only have the base game but there is so much - can anyone recommend what the best or essential DLC options are?

Aaron D.

You monster.

Candice will likely be in my GOTY Top 3.

Not even kidding (or being ironic).

Oh yeah.

EDIT:

I want to get some of the Crusader Kings 2 DLC while it is on sale as I only have the base game but there is so much - can anyone recommend what the best or essential DLC options are?

CK2 DLC can be daunting, but it's not too bad after you filter out the cosmetic stuff like portraits, music, etc.

This article is pretty up to date and I agree with it for the most part.

http://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/

tl;dr

Essential Expansions for Everyone:
1. The Old Gods
2. Legacy of Rome (Specifically for the Retinues feature)
3. Way of Life
4. Conclave
5. The Reaper's Due

Ladekabel

I wish you could disable games with mixed or lower reviews, I've been spamming the queue this sale trying to find some cheap gems to play but there's so much trash to sift through.

I thought about this, too, but then something like Darkest Dungeon, Pillars of Eternity, GTA V or some other stuff where users are mad at something and flood the store page with negative reviews wouldn't come up either. Or Hitman for example was mixed for the most part because people were made at the season model.

grmlin

Should I play Firewatch on a big TV Screen on my PS4 Slim or on a PC with a 24" 4K monitor? (don't know if a RX 470 is fast enough for it though)

Thanks!

Thinking about doing a clean out of my Steam library. Just getting rid of all the bundle junk that there is no chance I will play. But then I'm worried I'll end up regretting it. Anyone done this?

Thinking about doing a clean out of my Steam library. Just getting rid of all the bundle junk that there is no chance I will play. But then I'm worried I'll end up regretting it. Anyone done this?

I'm slowly doing this.
I just keep a spreadsheet of games I've removed, and include the reason why I removed a particular game. That way I can easily go back and reverse the removal if I change my mind.

Can you suggest me something with good crafting? Any genre.
Already have the classics : Terraria, Rust, Subnautica, Don't starve, Starbound and probably some more

Ucchedavāda;242061162 said:
I'm slowly doing this.
I just keep a spreadsheet of games I've removed, and include the reason why I removed a particular game. That way I can easily go back and reverse the removal if I change my mind.

Oh, you can reverse it? Do you just do that like you would a refund? Are there rules to what you can reverse?

I thought about this, too, but then something like Darkest Dungeon, Pillars of Eternity, GTA V or some other stuff where users are mad at something and flood the store page with negative reviews wouldn't come up either. Or Hitman for example was mixed for the most part because people were made at the season model.
What happened with darkest dungeon.

Factorio is Crafting: The Game.

I haven't played it, but I imagine it is quite good.

NinjaEdit: Hmm, not on sale. Still not a bad price, really... I'm kinda cocerned by how much time I could lose to its automation.

Edit: There's also Rimworld! But it is not on sale either. Augh.

Aaron D.

Can you suggest me something with good crafting? Any genre.
Already have the classics : Terraria, Rust, Subnautica, Don't starve, Starbound and probably some more

If you want to throw Survival gameplay into the mix, The Long Dark is likely the best the (Survival) genre has to offer.

Factorio is one of the most popular alternative (i.e. not Minecraft / Don't Starve) crafting games out there but it's not on sale, sadly.

What happened with darkest dungeon.
The new DLC sucks and if you buy it it fucks up your base game as well. (They introduced an illness that can't be treated and fucked up the affliction/drop rate, so basically all your heroes become walking corpses the moment you fight enemies from the new DLC and they apper in old dungeons too)

No plans to hide games but
I categorized my library years ago..
Default library
Horrible Purchases
Will never touch...
Completed..

Default Library expands on it's own, the other category never expands...so my library looks small 100 games..

Oh, you can reverse it? Do you just do that like you would a refund? Are there rules to what you can reverse?

Pretty much. You just find the game on the Steam Support page (you'll have to search for it) and then select "It's not in my library". Then you are given the option of undoing the removal. I do not know if there are any restrictions, but I have not heard anything to that effect.

*radio screech*

This is the wallet, and this is the bill. Cart full and spend. The store is the white of the eyes, and dark within.

This is the wallet, and this is the bill. Cart full and spend. The store is the white of the eyes, and dark within.

The new DLC sucks and if you buy it it fucks up your base game as well. (They introduced an illness that can't be treated and fucked up the affliction/drop rate, so basically all your heroes become walking corpses the moment you fight enemies from the new DLC and they apper in old dungeons too)
But I'm good as long as I don't buy it, right?

CHC

Man, Ryse is one hell of a graphical showcase but the game sucks. Sucks hard. I don't know if I can finish it, it's just too goddamn repetitive.

You can treat the illness once
you've defeated the Baron
. It honestly feels worse than it is because the game initially tells you that it is permanent, but infected heroes are still very much usable.

I would recommend getting it, based on what I've played of it so far.
It is your choice when you want to trigger the DLC quest-line, so you don't get screwed over until you decide that you want to. Just avoid The Courtyard (the DLC area) related stuff until you are ready for the extra challenge.

tariniel

Thoughts on One Finger Death Punch and Downwell? They're cheap I'm mostly interested in peoples experiences with how long they played before they became boring.

Also strongly considering Black Desert if anyone has input on that. I have a WoW sub right now but I only log in 2-3 times per week for less than an hour each.

Sarcasm

Just wait for a sale =p

Thoughts on One Finger Death Punch and Downwell? They're cheap I'm mostly interested in peoples experiences with how long they played before they became boring.

Also strongly considering Black Desert if anyone has input on that. I have a WoW sub right now but I only log in 2-3 times per week for less than an hour each.

OFPD and DW must get.

BDO is great but it is so freaking confusing I stopped playing.

jholmes

I only played Downwell. I was obsessed with it for a couple of days, only put in one-hour play sessions tops so I played three and a half hours before I got to the point I was just fed up with it. Totally worth that dollar though in my opinion.

Erheller

I remember this one site a while ago (like one, two, years ago?) that mined a bunch of data from steam and created "clusters" of games based on games that users were likely to own together.

Like I remember a cluster had the XCOM games and Invisible Inc and Civ and a bunch of other strategy games.
Another had Trails and a bunch of other JRPG games

I've tried searching for that site but I've come up with nothing. Does anyone remember it?

Feeroper

*radio screech*

Such an intense episode.

Atelier Sophie
Have it and loved it
Thea: The Awakening, Neo Scavenger
Didn't know Thea had good crafting, might check out. Already have scavenger.
Factorio is Crafting: The Game.

I haven't played it, but I imagine it is quite good.

NinjaEdit: Hmm, not on sale. Still not a bad price, really... I'm kinda cocerned by how much time I could lose to its automation.

Edit: There's also Rimworld! But it is not on sale either. Augh.
Have both!

If you want to throw Survival gameplay into the mix, The Long Dark is likely the best the (Survival) genre has to offer.

Factorio is one of the most popular alternative (i.e. not Minecraft / Don't Starve) crafting games out there but it's not on sale, sadly.
I tried the long dark, I can see why it's loved but it's not for me sadly.

Thanks everyone!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ucchedavāda;242062224 said:
Pretty much. You just find the game on the Steam Support page (you'll have to search for it) and then select "It's not in my library". Then you are given the option of undoing the removal. I do not know if there are any restrictions, but I have not heard anything to that effect.

Back when the feature was implemented, it wasn't possible to restore a licence if the game had been removed from the store, but this was quickly fixed.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I have both and use them as quick time wasters when waiting for a game to install, or if I don't have mimics time to play. Between the two I prefer Downwell. Both are fun, but Downwell is more engaging.

c0Zm1c

Man, Ryse is one hell of a graphical showcase but the game sucks. Sucks hard. I don't know if I can finish it, it's just too goddamn repetitive.

I bought Ryse in a previous sale but requested a refund on it (mainly because it didn't run all that well on my system), and it was quickly becoming boring in my short time with it. It's a shame really. With a tad more variation in enemies and combat it could have been really good.

This is the least hype Steam sale I've ever seen. This thread is basically moving as quickly as a regular Steam OT at this point. It's kinda sad. End of an era?

So Gaf in a choice between:

Hollow Knight
Ori and the Blind Forrest
and Axiom Verge

which 2 choices should i pick.

Ooooo

I 100% Ori last week and bought Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight this sale. I have put 17 hours into Hollow Knight already and havent touched Verge yet.

So far Hollow Knight > Ori. Ori is great but Hollow Knight is outstanding. I am sure you cant go wrong with any 2 though but I will say Hollow Knight and Ori as I know both are great.

This is the least hype Steam sale I've ever seen. This thread is basically moving as quickly as a regular Steam OT at this point. It's kinda sad. End of an era?
I can't say it bothers me. This year I've been doing way more gaming and excited for new titles rather than hoping to buy old ones cheap. Especially as a Falcom fan.

I'm super mixed on people flooding Pillars. Yeah, it's published by Paradox, but developed by Obsidian, a good developer who needs the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom