• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a good point. I usually buy games if they're >50% off or <50% but under $10. PUBG I bought for $18 on Amazon, since I had a lot of Rewards saved up.

Yeah, I have to really want a game to scoop it up on a sale that isn't at least at 50% off.

But then I run into what happened with me and Dark Souls 3 where, despite loving the series, I just let it sit for 8 months and 3 or 4 better sales before actually playing it.

That hurts.

How is "The Surge" as someone who has only lightly dabbled in Dark Souls 1 and found it okay.

Mods, permaban plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

From what I watched of someone on Twitch, it still seemed to lean closer to Lords of the Fallen, which I found interesting all the way up until it fell off the cliff to boredom. The Surge looks really good. The shadows and darker locations, particularly. There's a cool targeting system where you can focus appendages to get different loot drops, with some risk to doing so. I just watched it, mind you.

Yeah, I have to really want a game to scoop it up on a sale that isn't at least at 50% off.

But then I run into what happened with me and Dark Souls 3 where, despite loving the series, I just let it sit for 8 months and 3 or 4 better sales before actually playing it.

That hurts.

Mods, permaban plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

From what I watched of someone on Twitch, it still seemed to lean closer to Lords of the Fallen, which I found interesting all the way up until it fell off the cliff to boredom. The Surge looks really good. The shadows and darker locations, particularly. There's a cool targeting system where you can focus appendages to get different loot drops, with some risk to doing so. I just watched it, mind you.

To be fair I only played Dark Souls 1 a long time ago and it was mainly just turned off by the attributes and stuff as it was quite confusing on how to develop a character. Maybe I will try again. I do prefer The Surge setting though.

Is it possible that steam charges your credit card first and then refunds the amount that is on your wallet?

I'm trying to figure out why it won't process my 25.32 euros order due to insufficient funds, even though I have like 24.59 on my card and 1.67 in the wallet, and steam says that the total cost for the card would only be 23.87, so it should be good. Have no idea what's the problem. Started checking out all my subscriptions to see if somehow Humble didn't charge me for the monthly, but nope.

Hektor

To be fair I only played Dark Souls 1 a long time ago and it was mainly just turned off by the attributes and stuff as it was quite confusing on how to develop a character. Maybe I will try again. I do prefer The Surge setting though.

Character development in souls is actually fairly straightforward, i'd very much suggest you give it another go sometimes.

When i play souls nowadays i basically only skill DMG in a full on glasscannon build and have a jolly good time

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Alright GAF, I've got $58 in credit to blow and I'm super indecisive. Games that I'm heavily leaning towards have an asterisk. Everything interests me.

Which games make the cut?

Hollow Knight -$9.89
Dead Cells - $14.44*
Sniper Elite 3 - $5.99*
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom - $14.99
Strafe - $13.37*
Desync - $7.49
Death Spank - $3.74
Ultratron - $4.29
Blood - $1.49
Dead Rising 3 - 8.99
Quake Live - $2.49*
Doom Collection - $3.74*
Onechanbara - $23.99
Butcher - $4.99

Alright GAF, I've got $58 in credit to blow and I'm super indecisive. Games that I'm heavily leaning towards have an asterisk. Everything interests me.

Hollow Knight -$9.89
Dead Cells - $14.44*
Sniper Elite 3 - $5.99*
Strafe - $13.37*
Desync - $7.49
Death Spank - $3.74
Ultratron - $4.29
Blood - $1.49
Dead Rising 3 - 8.99
Quake Live - $2.49*
Doom Collection - $3.74*
Onechanbara - $23.99
Butcher - $4.99

Dead Cells is cheaper on Wingamestore and Bundle Stars. But I'd say it's worth it at full price.

Rhoc

Hollow Knight -$9.89
Dead Cells - $14.44*
Sniper Elite 3 - $5.99*
Strafe - $13.37*
Desync - $7.49
Death Spank - $3.74
Ultratron - $4.29
Blood - $1.49
Dead Rising 3 - 8.99
Quake Live - $2.49*
Doom Collection - $3.74*
Onechanbara - $23.99
Butcher - $4.99

For me Hollow Knight and Dead Cells are must haves if your into that kind of genre incredible games.

Lawbreakers has improved significantly from the earlier alphas. I'll be downloading it as well.
I'm always down for a good FPS

Hollow Knight -$9.89
Dead Cells - $14.44*
Sniper Elite 3 - $5.99*
Strafe - $13.37*
Desync - $7.49
Death Spank - $3.74
Ultratron - $4.29
Blood - $1.49
Dead Rising 3 - 8.99
Quake Live - $2.49*
Doom Collection - $3.74*
Onechanbara - $23.99
Butcher - $4.99
Dead Rising 3 sucks, get rid of it

Hollow Knight -$9.89
Dead Cells - $14.44*
Sniper Elite 3 - $5.99*
Strafe - $13.37*
Desync - $7.49
Death Spank - $3.74
Ultratron - $4.29
Blood - $1.49
Dead Rising 3 - 8.99
Quake Live - $2.49*
Doom Collection - $3.74*
Onechanbara - $23.99
Butcher - $4.99

Hollow Knight is amazing so yes buy, Dead Cells is great, as stated above it is slightly cheaper elsewhere. It is a good Rogue Legacy type game. The only other game I have played on your list is Death Spank and I would cut that. There are just better and cheaper action RPGs out there.

Neospartan

Neo Member
wasIqN5.png
On these hot Summer days there's a high demand for Lemonade.

EdmondD

Get rid of Strafe and DR3. I have not played either but heard they both suck. Strafe is a good concept with poor execution and like six months from now the games going to be $4 might as well wait.

I bought Deus Ex and modded it up to make it look pretty plus added sweet fx. It looks suprisingly good and is still one of the best games ever made. I have been really into modding and playing older games in my backlog lately. The work and dedication of modders never ceases to amaze me. In the past couple months I have been playing Arx Fatalis, Jedi knight, Jedi Academy, and Mafia. I bought this sale Deus Ex 1 and 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Cthulu Dark Corners of the Earth. Oh yeah I was also playing Max Payne 2 which has a bunch of really cool mods for it as well.

If you're a Humble Monthly subscriber, Dead Cells is $12.99 there.

I have like a dollar in cash back, too... I might have to do this, immediately after just saying in this thread that I wait for 50% off on most games.

tmarg

Dead Cells does some cool stuff, but Hollow Knight is in a whole other league. If you're looking for one action platformer, HK is the easy choice. Plus DC is still early access, so you'll likely get a better price and experience by waiting on that one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you mod up OG Doom 1 & 2 with Brutal Doom and the Doom Metal Soundtrack Vol. 4, you'll spend more time with that purchase than all the others combined.

So just Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom?

Get rid of Strafe and DR3. I have not played either but heard they both suck. Strafe is a good concept with poor execution and like six months from now the games going to be $4 might as well wait.

I've heard Strafe misses the mark as well. It's one of those games I want to try for myself, but you're right; it's probably best I skip it.

Stoze

I've heard Strafe misses the mark as well. It's one of those games I want to try for myself, but you're right; it's probably best I skip it.
They have been adamantly patching and fixing the game and doing significant changes to core gameplay since release fyi, seems to be better now. Don't expect an old-school shooter though.

Bl@de

Hollow Knight -$9.89
Dead Cells - $14.44*
Sniper Elite 3 - $5.99*
Strafe - $13.37*
Desync - $7.49
Death Spank - $3.74
Ultratron - $4.29
Blood - $1.49
Dead Rising 3 - 8.99
Quake Live - $2.49*
Doom Collection - $3.74*
Onechanbara - $23.99
Butcher - $4.99

I'd go with Sniper Elite 3, Blood, Dead Rising 3, Doom Collection (although I would choose the Quake collection). Action for hours.

Should I buy King of Fighters XIV at $47.99 or hold out a bit longer? Think it will go for half that by the holiday sale?

I just bought Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear Revelator. Officially I'm "good" on new fighters. But...it's tempting to go for the trifecta?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd go with Sniper Elite 3, Blood, Dead Rising 3, Doom Collection (although I would choose the Quake collection). Action for hours.

I have all the Quakes except 3 and Team Arena. After playing Quake Heroes I've been itching for that classic Quake 3/Unreal Tournament style action. I figure Live is the way to go these days?

Vlad

Thoughts on One Finger Death Punch and Downwell? They're cheap I'm mostly interested in peoples experiences with how long they played before they became boring.

They're both amazing games, but I certainly wouldn't say that I've gotten a huge amount of time with either before moving on.

For reference, my Steam time with Downwell is at 16 hours, and OFDP is at 17. That said, both games are well worth purchasing, especially at the price that they're currently on sale for. Both games are a masterclass in "doing one thing, but doing it REALLY well"

Just cause 3 can't be that bad right?

Eh, it's certainly disappointing, but there are some good moments to be had. The wingsuit was the highlight for me. Flying that thing was just so damn satisfying, and even now I do ponder redownloading the game just to mess around with the wingsuit. The game also looks great, if your system can handle it.

Beyond that, it reminded me of JC2: Fun to mess around with in short bursts, but kind of flat after a while. The story missions are bland and unforgettable (I only remember the last boss fight, simply for how underwhelming it was), and there are a lot fewer locations in JC3 than there are in JC2. I don't know how the map sizes compare, either, but JC3 feels smaller, since you get the wingsuit about ten minutes into the game, and once you get good with that, you can cover a lot of ground really fast. That's not bad by itself, but I always prefer a game that makes you slog around more slowly for a bit, so you appreciate it more when you finally do get the ability to move faster.

Tizoc

Should I buy King of Fighters XIV at $47.99 or hold out a bit longer? Think it will go for half that by the holiday sale?

I just bought Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear Revelator. Officially I'm "good" on new fighters. But...it's tempting to go for the trifecta?

If you like KoF gameplay def. get it, lots of characters to dabble with and can be fun in offline versus.
Alt. grab KoF 13.

Aaron D.

Thank you for this. I got the Doom collection and just got into zDoom so far. Most of my time playing Doom was passing a 3.5 inch floppy around my high school drafting class. So long ago.

NP.

Be sure to enable Mouse Freelook in Options (might be in the Brutal Doom Options submenu). It completely changes the feel and flow of the game, much like Doom 2016 did itself.

Also, if you're new too DoomZ or any of the other Launcher programs, just do a Brutal Doom Instillation Guide search on YouTube and they'll have you up & running in 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Hollow Knight
Shadow Of Mordor
Downwell
Freedom Planet
Killing Floor
Hitman 2016
Broforce
Divine Divinity
Witcher 3 GOTY
Dragon's Lair 1 & 2 & Space Ace
Zenodyne R
Bit Blaster XL
Costume Quest 1 & 2

... and I'm done. Good sale, better than I expected.

Zeneric

Fuck it, refunded all except Dex (excellent game). Gonna use the refunds on The Sims 3 and its 8 expansions. It's a good relaxing game. Nice to play when stoned.

NP.

Be sure to enable Mouse Freelook in Options (might be in the Brutal Doom Options submenu). It completely changes the feel and flow of the game, much like Doom 2016 did itself.

Also, if you're new too DoomZ or any of the other Launcher programs, just do a Brutal Doom Instillation Guide search on YouTube and they'll have you up & running in 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Not that it matters too much, but is there a way to have Steam register playtime when using launchers? Same deal for System Shock 2.

Armored Scrats for Minion Masters

B28-9K7-EGH

Aaron D.

Not that it matters too much, but is there a way to have Steam register playtime when using launchers? Same deal for System Shock 2.

Yes, I remember reading that there was a way to do this.

However, it's been a long time so I have no idea.

Try Google and see if anything comes up. I think it should be doable.

Daffy Duck

Well I was going to buy all the classic Tomb Raider games but I have them on my PS3 so I've trimmed down to:

Grim Fandango Remastered
Stardew Valley
Hollow Knight

Nothing else really takes my fancy.

Is Elite Dangerous worth it?
I'm kinda interested in trying this.
Is the base game enough or do I need extra stuff/DLC?
Also, is the game fully playable with an XB1 controller (comfy couch Big Picture ^_^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom