• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Mad Max? It's cheap.

I actually really liked it and ended up putting 30 hours into.

I did the whole story and about 2 thirds of the side stuff in that time, I could certainly see it getting a bit grindy if you try to go for everything but if you're not bothered with that then the game should be fine for you.

Also it pulls of the car combat really well, one of the highlights of the game.

Okay so I can't gift my American friend a game from Canada. Tried to use Paypal-Gifts to get him a $20 Steam wallet code instead, wouldn't work as my Paypal account is Canadian. He doesn't have Paypal so I can't just shoot him the money directly.

What do?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Okay so I can't gift my American friend a game from Canada. Tried to use Paypal-Gifts to get him a $20 Steam wallet code instead, wouldn't work as my Paypal account is Canadian. He doesn't have Paypal so I can't just shoot him the money directly.

What do?

What game? If it is possibly on similar discount on humble I would think the steam code would be region free but I dont know for sure.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

What do?
Maybe try a prepaid Mastercard/American Express gift card? Valve's policy on gifting games to other regions is complete bullshit. Can't gift anything that's cheaper than more than 10% from their region.

What game? If it is possibly on similar discount on humble I would think the steam code would be region free but I dont know for sure.
Codes are fine. On that note, check isthereanydeal.com to see if other stores are discounting the game.

Aaron D.

Is Elite Dangerous worth it?
I'm kinda interested in trying this.
Is the base game enough or do I need extra stuff/DLC?
Also, is the game fully playable with an XB1 controller (comfy couch Big Picture ^_^)

The base game is fantastic of and by itself. Piloting strikes a nice combo of depth vs. approach-ability, not too simple and not too fussy.

I find the game really relaxing, playing as a commodities trader. Haven't messed with the combat aspect too much, 'cause that's not really my style.

Plays wonderfully with a 360 pad (don't have XB1).

Go for it.

No real game in mind at the moment, but I figured I'd shoot him the code to make up his own mind about it.

Maybe try a prepaid Mastercard/American Express gift card? Valve's policy on gifting games to other regions is complete bullshit. Can't gift anything that's cheaper than more than 10% from their region.
I think what I'll end up doing is getting another American friend to buy the wallet code from Paypal-Gifts and Paypal him the money for it. Yeesh, Steam.

What do?
Through the cash app? If you're down to the level of trying and failing to send steam credit just send cash.

Okay guys I installed Dark Souls to try it again, it has been a few years and I gave up. What do I need to install? DSFix right? Is that it?

Brashnir

Okay guys I installed Dark Souls to try it again, it has been a few years and I gave up. What do I need to install? DSFix right? Is that it?

yes, and make sure you slide down every ladder in the hopes that dsfix makes you fall through the world and/or crash the game.

If the stats were a turn off for you, it might be worth picturing what you want to use broadly. Like, a big axe? A sword and a shield? Dual-wield?

And then pull up a wiki for a good item of that type to get the stat requirements. Get your stats to that level. From there, pump the rest into Health / the dominant stat for your weapon / Stamina in that order. Potentially quit Stamina when you feel like your bar for rolling and stuff feels alright.

And just go about it where you don't have to even think about it, really.

If the stats were a turn off for you, it might be worth picturing what you want to use broadly. Like, a big axe? A sword and a shield? Dual-wield?

And then pull up a wiki for a good item of that type to get the stat requirements. Get your stats to that level. From there, pump the rest into Health / the dominant stat for your weapon / Stamina in that order. Potentially quit Stamina when you feel like your bar for rolling and stuff feels alright.

And just go about it where you don't have to even think about it, really.

Awesome thanks, I will google a guide for a normal playthrough build. I am guessing big ass axe or something

Dr. Worm

Banned
Thinking of doing:

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Gunpoint + Morphblade
Odallus + Oniken
Aviary Attorney
Transistor
MGSV: Ground Zeroes
The Beginner's Guide
Shadow of Mordor
Dishonored
Portal 1+2

Comes out to just under $40.

Dead Cells is the real deal, all other rogue games I've played besides Spelunky are easily worse.

And Dead Cells is better than Spelunky so far. Let's see how far I get into this.

Hubble

I'm trying to make my purchases as varied as possible so I'm looking for an exploration game.

Elite Dangerous or Subnautica?

Subnautica is amazing and hugely addicting. It is so good that I recommend to play when the game is finished. They are constantly adding new content. I got far and addicted for a week, and decided to restart at some point and now there's so much.

Marow

So what are the chances of some sort of "complete" version of Deux Ex: Mankind Divided in the near future?

(also, I find it amazing it's cheaper to buy the Deus Ex Collection bundle than the game+season pass which are included in that...)

Freeman76

Completed the Room in one sitting, so inventive! Bought 2 immediately :)

Might get Elite Dangerous and American Truck Simulator to finish off the 35 notes i put in my wallet

Dead Cells is the real deal, all other rogue games I've played besides Spelunky are easily worse.

And Dead Cells is better than Spelunky so far. Let's see how far I get into this.

I think it's better than Rogue Legacy, which is a more apt comparison. Spelunky is a different type of rogue-lite to me, so I wouldn't directly compare it to Dead Cells.

Just finished (and failed) a DoT run. Fire Brand, Knife Storm, and Ice Grenades; man it was fun standing back and watching things melt. Finally beat the first boss without having to heal up. I died in the level after that, an elite wrecked my face :(

Volimar

Completed the Room in one sitting, so inventive! Bought 2 immediately :)

Might get Elite Dangerous and American Truck Simulator to finish off the 35 notes i put in my wallet

Elite Dangerous is practically Space Trucking Simulator, so you don't even need the other game. :p

I think it's better than Rogue Legacy, which is a more apt comparison. Spelunky is a different type of rogue-lite to me, so I wouldn't directly compare it to Dead Cells.

Just finished (and failed) a DoT run. Fire Brand, Knife Storm, and Ice Grenades; man it was fun standing back and watching things melt. Finally beat the first boss without having to heal up. I died in the level after that, an elite wrecked my face :(
There ya go, Rogue Legacy. Those are definitely the closest two but Dead Cells does everything so much better.

Kwixotik

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm looking hard at Tabletop Simulator, Stardew Valley, and Binding of Isaac complete pack.

I've played about 20 hours of a friend's copy of Stardew and loved it but abruptly quit. I played the everloving shit out of the original binding of Isaac but don't have rebirth and its expansions.

And I love the idea of Tabletop Simulator. I'd love to play more tabletop games, but I'm unsure if I'd ever find a solid group and actually use it.

Hektor

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm looking hard at Tabletop Simulator, Stardew Valley, and Binding of Isaac complete pack.

I've played about 20 hours of a friend's copy of Stardew and loved it but abruptly quit. I played the everloving shit out of the original binding of Isaac but don't have rebirth and its expansions.

And I love the idea of Tabletop Simulator. I'd love to play more tabletop games, but I'm unsure if I'd ever find a solid group and actually use it.

Uncontrollable consumerism is the only answer to your woes

Namek

Neo Member
I never post hauls, ever. But! I picked up:

Overcooked + The Lost Morsel
Creepy Castle
Castle of no Escape 2
Phantom Halls
Nova-111
What Remains of Edith Finch
I Am The Hero
Hyperdevotion Noire
Stories Untold
THOTH
Genital Jousting
Submerged

a7b.gif

tenor.gif

I'm looking for an FPS that:

- is very lightweight
- is very cheap
- is not a war game
- has a good single-player campaign (I don't play online)

Bear in mind my notebook gets hot (90C) pretty easily, so being lightweight is very important. Any suggestions?

WillyFive

- is very lightweight
- is very cheap
- is not a war game

Bear in mind my notebook gets hot (90C) pretty easily, so being lightweight is very important. Any suggestions?
Does Star Wars count as a war game?

Try Republic Commando.

Otherwise, the two Portal games and the Half-Life series.

Kyne

- is very lightweight
- is very cheap
- is not a war game

it's not on Steam, but Titanfall 2 has an excellent campaign and it's on sale for $20. I heard DOOM also has good campaign and it's on Steam for $15.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

- is very lightweight
- is very cheap
- is not a war game

You can play BioShock on low settings.
Lovely Planet is good, if you are okay with the cartoonish setting.
Xotic for high score.
Serious Sam 1 and 2.
Half-Life 1 and 2 if you don't somehow already own them.
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death

Does Star Wars count as a war game?

Try Republic Commando.

Otherwise, the two Portal games and the Half-Life series.

Already played Portal and Half-Life.

Hmmm, Republic Commando looks great! That Metroid Prime vibe... I guess I'll give it a try, thanks!

it's not on Steam, but Titanfall 2 has an excellent campaign and it's on sale for $20. I heard DOOM also has good campaign and it's on Steam for $15.

I would love to play both, but my notebook can't handle them. I could probably run them on low graphical settings, but I'm sure I would get very high temperatures :(

You can play BioShock on low settings.
Lovely Planet is good, if you are okay with the cartoonish setting.
Xotic for high score.
Serious Sam 1 and 2.
Half-Life 1 and 2 if you don't somehow already own them.

Already played Bioshock and Serious Sam.

Xotic looks fun, thanks! And Lovely Planet looks... weird ^_^ Well there's a demo, I'll give a try!

Phu

Banned
Something like ABZU or one of the "walking sims" like Firewatch maybe? Or if you were after something a little more complex, perhaps a puzzle game like The Talos Principle or The Witness?

Va-11 Hall-A.

Slime Rancher

*snip*
ETS2 is $4.99, FS15 for $6.24.

Both are my Steam Zen Garden games.

I personally think Farm Sim is the better of the two, with more fleshed out mechanics. But for crossover appeal, more people gravitate to Euro Truck.

Can't go wrong with either. Also the mod communities for both are among the most active in all of PC gaming.

I actually already have Va-11 Hall-A but never finished it, I think I'll go back to that above all else. Slime Rancher, Farm Sim, and [maybe] ABZU seem the most like what I'm looking for so I'll probably end up picking one of those before the sales over. Thanks, everyone!

Dr. Worm

Banned
Got convinced to change out Ys for UMvC. Put my total at $50.32.

UMvC3
Gunpoint + Morphblade
Odallus + Oniken
Aviary Attorney
Transistor
The Beginner's Guide
Shadow of Mordor
Dishonored
Portal 1+2

Just pulled the trigger. I think I like this haul.

Ayumi

Thinking of doing:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Gunpoint + Morphblade
Odallus + Oniken
Aviary Attorney
Transistor
The Beginner's Guide
Shadow of Mordor
Dishonored
Portal 1+2

Comes out to just under $40.
I'll vote for Ys (amazing series, Oath is my fav) and Portal! Portal is awesome, especially if you've never played them before.

Really wish we could get Portal 3. :(

daxy

Got convinced to change out Ys for UMvC. Puts my total at $50.32.

UMvC3
Gunpoint + Morphblade
Odallus + Oniken
Aviary Attorney
Transistor
The Beginner's Guide
Shadow of Mordor
Dishonored
Portal 1+2

If that's the base game of Dishonored you've got there, I highly recommend getting the two big story DLCs (Knife of Dunwall & Brigmore) as they are both fantastic.

edit: I thought it'd be more expensive to buy them separately, but it looks like the current DH discount is way steeper than when I originally got it so GOTY is not necessarily best value unless you get way into the mechanics and want those trials.

Sarcasm

I actually already have Va-11 Hall-A but never finished it, I think I'll go back to that above all else. Slime Rancher, Farm Sim, and [maybe] ABZU seem the most like what I'm looking for so I'll probably end up picking one of those before the sales over. Thanks, everyone!

ETS2 is good too.

Grief.exe

Subnautica is amazing and hugely addicting. It is so good that I recommend to play when the game is finished. They are constantly adding new content. I got far and addicted for a week, and decided to restart at some point and now there's so much.

I believe Subnautica is actually finished with content updates, readying the game for launch.

tim.mbp

- is very lightweight
- is very cheap
- is not a war game

Have you tried SuperHot?

zkylon

zkylewd
i think my credit card was flagged as stolen or something, that's why i can't buy anything on steam

stupid banks, ruined the sale for me :T

Definitely true. The hoarder part of my brain is reacting like "But-but I gotta buy something! What if a rainy day comes and I want to play something and I didn't grab it when it was cheap?"

But honestly, I got a huuuuge rainy day list already. I'm good. Realistically, it's gonna take me at least a year to play through my current backlog anyway.
yeah i get you

but i feel like not buying shit you don't need is something to pat yourself in the back for, rather than going on a buying spree for no reason other than it's cheap

I would disagree with skipping ACB, but I would seriously recommend putting some months and/or other games between AC2 and ACB. ACB has some nice world design and controlling your own pack of ninjas takes the trivial nature of AC combat encounters and extends them to their ludicrous end. *snap* ~EAGLE CRY~

I found ACR to be the absolute weakest of the trilogy, gameplay-wise.The lack of code-breaking really hurt it in my eyes and the first person platforming was bleh.
i don't think ass bros was bad but i came from it after loving the shit out of ass 2 and was really disappointed that it was just more of the same. very refined and everything, but still

and if you're playing the whole series then i'd say skip those kinds of games that don't meaningfully change settings or characters or mechanics cos you're gonna get super burned out

then again it's impossible to play any of those games without getting super burned out since they're boring af (and i say this as someone that likes em lol)

Nah, I don't think that's accurate. I'm not familiar with mercenary kings.
As I said, God Eater has a heavy story focus unlike Monster Hunter, so there's that.
The combat is also not at all like MMOs : P and the grind isn't that bad.
It also has a lot of NPC-allies who you can take with you on missions from the beginning(up to 3). You can also learn and equip them various skills. God Eater 2 even has companion missions that unlock new and/or better skills for the NPCs.
yeah it's been described to me also as playing left 4 dead with bots

but the way you talk about it kind of encourages me to buy it

damn it why are people so consufing -__-

zkylon

zkylewd
so is that tits 4 or what

can i skip tits 2 and 3 and go straight to schoolgirls

edit: i was thinking of editing this post cos it sounds creepy af but i choose to leave it cos idk it's funny lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom