• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wish you could disable games with mixed or lower reviews, I've been spamming the queue this sale trying to find some cheap gems to play but there's so much trash to sift through.

Quoting myself from earlier, it turns out you can with the Chrome Extension Enhanced Steam, this will make this a lot easier. It also gives you the option to hide games you've marked as not interested in.

GDVJew9.png

Is Arx Fatalis any good? It's from Arkane and I'm a huuuuuge fan of their Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

It seems like i already own F.E.A.R 2 and 3, but not 1? I probably got it from some weird bundle...

This should run fine on my notebook, I'll consider it. Thanks!

What's your Steam profile?

OmegaDL50

You could decide to be very brave and pick La-Mulana as well.

Also recommended: Aquaria and Elliot Quest.

Headlander and Aquaria are a must as well.

Guacamelee?

Sorry guys. I own most of those.

Here is my entire Metroidvania list I own on Steam. I'm somewhat of a collector of the genre, but I do have standards. I'm generally want something that is good quality from a decent consensus. I mean I received a recommendation for Rabi-Ribi but I'm not too sure of the aesthetic.

Davey Cakes

Here is my entire Metroidvania list I own on Steam. I'm somewhat of a collector of the genre, but I do have standards. I'm generally want something that is good quality from a decent consensus. I mean I received a recommendation for Rabi-Ribi but I'm not too sure of the aesthetic.
Xeodrifter ain't bad. It's kind of a nice, little distraction.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok finally convinced visa to let me buy bayonetta lol

i think i'm gonna buy god eater on nuuvem and then use my steam credit for hollow knight

nuuvem winter sale is real nice

WarRock

I have a friend who really vouches for Castle in the Darkness, maybe take a look at it.

I'm looking for an FPS that:

- is very lightweight
- is very cheap
- is not a war game
- has a good single-player campaign (I don't play online)

Bear in mind my notebook gets hot (90C) pretty easily, so being lightweight is very important. Any suggestions?

The Marathon series is free (source port is called Aleph One, not on Steam), like Doom, made by Bungie, has great writing. Good mod scene too.

Get all of the id published games too, even the overlooked titles like Return to castle wolfenstein or Quake 4. So many mods for Doom and Quake.

Legendary isn't a great FPS but it's very cheap, like 50 cents I think. Could do worse.

Singularity is one of those games that is way more solid than I expected it to be, it's got a great atmosphere and fun gunplay. Hard recommend.

Outland is great.

Teggy

I wish they would remake Marathon. I tried to play it way back when on my Mac and it gave me massive motion sickness. IIRC it played in a small window? But it had that crazy concept where you rocket jumped into places and I always wanted to see the story.

I wish they would remake Marathon. I tried to play it way back when on my Mac and it gave me massive motion sickness. IIRC it played in a small window? But it had that crazy concept where you rocket jumped into places and I always wanted to see the story.
I'm not positive about this but it would guess that Aleph One probably has settings to mitigate the motion sickness, like removing the head bob or tuning the FOV. Might be worth downloading just to try it. The source port also cleans it up a bit. I wonder if they have sprite packs to replace some of that art...it hasn't aged well.

Teggy

I'm not positive about this but it would guess that Aleph One probably has settings to mitigate the motion sickness, like removing the head bob or tuning the FOV. Might be worth downloading just to try it. The source port also cleans it up a bit. I wonder if they have sprite packs to replace some of that art...it hasn't aged well.

Does look like they at least got rid of the tiny view with Aleph One. Do you know if it has mouselook?

The Marathon series is free (source port is called Aleph One, not on Steam), like Doom, made by Bungie, has great writing. Good mod scene too.

Get all of the id published games too, even the overlooked titles like Return to castle wolfenstein or Quake 4. So many mods for Doom and Quake.

Legendary isn't a great FPS but it's very cheap, like 50 cents I think. Could do worse.

Singularity is one of those games that is way more solid than I expected it to be, it's got a great atmosphere and fun gunplay. Hard recommend.

I had never heard about Marathon. Googling about it, looks like a very interesting piece of gaming history. I love this kind of thing, I'll take a look.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, that's a great suggestion. It's old, but not too old. Maybe I'll even get the Wolf Pack so I can play Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny., which I only played for 5 minutes back in the day. Thanks!

Knurek

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel store page is up. Has July set as a release date (no specific day though).

Durante, maybe you can answer...

I'm sure you will not make the PC port have locked resolution, but what about the framerate?
30 fps? 60 fps? Unlocked?

autoduelist

Are there any good turn based tactical westerns? One of my favorite games way back when was Six Gun Shootout. It was by SSI and you could play all sorts of famous scenes from both history and film.

RM8

Older Tomb Raider games are dirt cheap. I downloaded the demo for Legend and it's fantastic! I think I'll grab Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld for peanuts (even though the demo for Underworld was a bit janky).

Unrelated, but if I enjoy these games, will I enjoy the modern Uncharted-like Tomb Raider games? I'm pur off by the narrative-heavy nature and apparent lack of platforming.

Teggy

Older Tomb Raider games are dirt cheap. I downloaded the demo for Legend and it's fantastic! I think I'll grab Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld for peanuts (even though the demo for Underworld was a bit janky).

Unrelated, but if I enjoy these games, will I enjoy the modern Uncharted-like Tomb Raider games? I'm pur off by the narrative-heavy nature and apparent lack of platforming.

I think you would. Legend and Underworld (less so Anniversary because it is more of a remake of the old games) can be pretty linear at times vs the bigger open platforming areas in the originals. You might like the new games more than those two if you find them to be decent. Particularly Rise of TTR.

kevin1025

Banned

Tomb Raider Legend was a lot of fun back in the Xbox 360 days, I hope you like it!

For the modern ones, I'd say if you like Uncharted, you'll like Tomb Raider and Rise. They're definitely narrative-driven games, but I wouldn't say overly so, and there's definitely platforming, but done in the Uncharted vein. The second game has more optional tombs and is better for it, but the price of the 2013 game is pretty darn good to jump in and see if you like it!

I loved both of them and have played through them multiple times. But I can definitely understand when someone sees their faults.

jholmes

Considered Toki Tori 2?

RM8

Tomb Raider Legend was a lot of fun back in the Xbox 360 days, I hope you like it!

For the modern ones, I'd say if you like Uncharted, you'll like Tomb Raider and Rise. They're definitely narrative-driven games, but I wouldn't say overly so, and there's definitely platforming, but done in the Uncharted vein. The second game has more optional tombs and is better for it, but the price of the 2013 game is pretty darn good to jump in and see if you like it!

I loved both of them and have played through them multiple times. But I can definitely understand when someone sees their faults.

I think you would. Legend and Underworld (less so Anniversary because it is more of a remake of the old games) can be pretty linear at times vs the bigger open platforming areas in the originals. You might like the new games more than those two if you find them to be decent. Particularly Rise of TTR.

Thanks!

For now I think I'm okay with Legend / Anniversary / Underworld. I really don't enjoy Uncharted so I'm honestly not sure about TR2013 and RoTTR. Maybe I'll give them a chance later, but I'll have plenty of Tomb Raider for now, lol.

GAF, I was browsing through my Discovery Queue and I stumbled upon Nekopara v3. I initially wanted to just skip it as I would normally do, but then I saw the tags "WWII" and "Third Person Shooter". How crazy is this game actually? Is it like Hatoful Boyfriend in that it throws you into a loop?

kevin1025

Banned
Valve complete pack worth it for someone who hasn't played any of those games besides L4D?

Definitely! If you're cool with some of the games being a tiny bit dated or not feeling super modern, it's well worth the price to see and play all of the fantastic games they've made over the years.

Mechazawa

Be sure to keep on eye out for Environmental Station Alpha in future sales(it's not currently on sale).

Ascheroth

GAF, I was browsing through my Discovery Queue and I stumbled upon Nekopara v3. I initially wanted to just skip it as I would normally do, but then I saw the tags "WWII" and "Third Person Shooter". How crazy is this game actually? Is it like Hatoful Boyfriend in that it throws you into a loop?
Those are just joke tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom