• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the Disgaea games have particularly strong narratives right? If I want something on Steam thats like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre in terms of story and mechanics I'm out of luck?

Arthea

None of the Disgaea games have particularly strong narratives right? If I want something on Steam thats like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre in terms of story and mechanics I'm out of luck?

Disgaea games aren't that light on story elements, it's just not serious stuff, but mostly humorous.

There is also Valkyria Chronicles, not really like FFT or TO, but good

other games you might want look into:
Phantom Brave PC
Agarest games

that's all I can think of.

Popstar

I collect Quake engine (idTech 2/3) games and was looking around and found two on Steam I didn't know about before. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi and Iron Grip: Warlord.

Iron Grip isn't available for purchase anymore on Steam but I found an unclaimed modbot giveaway from 2015 with a key and there was an unclaimed Nosferatu key too. That was awesome, but farming unclaimed two year old giveaways does feel a bit odd.

I was clicking through my discovery queue and Steam finally suggested something really good.
Ticket to Earth is a unique fusion of turn-based tactics, tile-matching puzzle, and story-driven RPG.
Released today with -15% discount.

Disgaea games aren't that light on story elements, it's just not serious stuff, but mostly humorous.

There is also Valkyria Chronicles, not really like FFT or TO, but good

other games you might want look into:
Phantom Brave PC
Agarest games

that's all I can think of.

Valykria might be the closest thing to what I want, but I've beaten it already.

Banner Saga isn't quite right. I guess I need to go find a cheap Vita or PSP to get my fix.

Deques

GMG is giving away free mystery games

https://www.greenmangaming.com/loot-boxes/

Meh
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

CITALIS -- MB-0F3B1C38785F918A - Taken by voodooray

From the GMG loot box up above.

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jiggaloboy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Citalis -- MB-E6FD8AFBDCD3DF1F - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.

t1498733473z1.png

Thud

No real need, the TitS games only get a couple very subtle callouts during ToCS

In one way not playing the sky games first helps, as you don't compare the two all the time.

Then again if you played the sky games first, a lot more things will be made clear.

lazerfox

In one way not playing the sky games first helps, as you don't compare the two all the time.

Then again if you played the sky games first, a lot more things will be made clear.

Wait are you saying Cold Steel sucks compared to Tits? If that's the case I'll take my time with finishing the 3rd.

Paragon

Torn on whether to pick up Mankind Divided. (And maybe Dishonored 2?)
Deus Ex is basically my favorite game ever. Worried that I'll just be crushed with disappointment playing MD. (Wasn't that blown away by HR tbh)
Also, is the DLC worth it? Looks like Deluxe version with Season pass is reasonably cheap.
It's a better game than Deus Ex: Human Revolution mechanically, but felt smaller in scale due to them sticking to one hub location, and the story was cut short.
It ends very badly due to the story apparently being cut in half to sell as two games - though the sequel isn't happening now.
I do still think it's worth playing through - especially now at this price - and if you liked Human Revolution.

I haven't played the DLC for it yet, but I would normally buy the base game, play it for a week since the sale is running until the 5th, and then decide whether I wanted the DLC for it, since there's no additional discount for buying them together.
However I see that they have a "Deus Ex Collection" bundle which is actually cheaper than buying this game plus the DLC on their own - and you will get further discounts if you already own other games in the series on Steam, since it's one of the new-style bundles.

If you're looking for that style of game I think both Prey and Dishonored 2 are better choices than Deus Ex MD. The hub world and the way its side-quest work is the only really standout part of Mankind Divided.
I suppose it depends what you mean by "that style of game".
If you're a fan of immersive sims, Prey is probably my favorite of them all in recent years.
I still haven't made a lot of progress with Dishonored 2 due to the performance issues that it has.
Though it's better now than it was at launch, I still find the performance issues detracting from my enjoyment of the game.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is arguably the weakest of the three games, but it's also the cheapest in the sales right now, if that matters. Prey doesn't have much of a discount, and thematically they're all very different.

Prey is sci-fi, Dishonored is steampunk-ish, and Deus Ex is cyberpunk.
For some people, it's the genre/themes that are the draw, rather than being an immersive sim.
And while it's a totally different type of game, if you're looking something good in the cyberpunk genre, I recently enjoyed playing through Technobabylon.

Asked for a refund for RAGE.
Spent the whole day trying to make it work and all I get is "Rage has stopped working".
Fuck that.
I feel like I am constantly repeating this, but id Tech 5 games crashing is usually a sign of an unstable GPU. Usually - though not always - overclocked.
I've seen this with several NVIDIA GPUs now. They seem to be completely stable in the other games that I've tested, but something about id Tech 5 requires that I drop the overclock by 50-100MHz.
After doing that, no more crashes at all.

Fingers crossed for Dishonored expansion.
It's not running on id Tech 5.
It's running on the "Void Engine" which is a fork of id Tech 5 that managed to make things worse.
With mods, id Tech 5 games run great at an unlocked framerate on a G-Sync display.
With the Void Engine, you have to lock the framerate to 60 FPS or else you get really bad frame-delivery problems. 90 FPS feels like 45 even on a G-Sync monitor.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Black Sand Drift -- MB-10B9A4BF71ADD91B - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.

t1498734861z1.png

Nabs

4bf84cf472e5108997cd0283a20ef96c548adb2f.jpg

Finished up Hollow Knight. Took me about 17hrs. Got 35% completion.

Lots of stuff unexplored but yea what a great video game. One of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. So many good boss fights and so many beautiful locations. So little handholding makes this an instant classic. The vast variety of enemies and how dangerous they all are makes this such a great 2D Souls like gem. Easily worth the 10$ if you are still on the fence about it. No doubt will be a strong GOTY contender.

Keep playing! There's so much great stuff to see.

So I'm considering spending 45 more dollars before the sale ends. I'm torn between buying Root Double, Ladykiller in a Bind, and Bayonetta, or Nier: Automata by itself. Which should I pick?

SoundLad

Man, I'm torn! Trying to save my wallet but there are a few games that I'm really interested in and maybe you guys can convince me which one to get.

Quantum Break - less than 20 euro seems like a bargain. I'm a big fan of Remedy games (Max Payne, Alan Wake).
I'm concerned if the gameplay matches the quality of their earlier games and whether the game is too short. Not worried about the performance hit.

Hollow Knight - Very interested since it seems like ultimate 2D metroidvania game. I quite liked Oni and absolutely love platformers such as the newer Rayman games.
Some people comparing it to Dark Souls, which is one of my favourite games of all time so I'm thinking this is the safe bet. Also, under 10 bucks!

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - First I was mildly interested but after the last few months it seems like this is the real deal going by peoples' impressions and the fact that it's at the top of the top sellers list consistently.
It's not on sale though, which stings and is still in early access. I do like this type of survival / king of the hill though and it seems super polished. I realise I could purchase Hollow Knight and Quantum Break for the same price...

Imur

So I'm considering spending 45 more dollars before the sale ends. I'm torn between buying Root Double, Ladykiller in a Bind, and Bayonetta, or Nier: Automata by itself. Which should I pick?

You could spend 50$ and get Nier from cdkeys and Bayonetta from Steam... but if you don't want that just buy Bayonetta, Nier will get cheaper.

CHC

Quantum Break - less than 20 euro seems like a bargain. I'm a big fan of Remedy games (Max Payne, Alan Wake).
I'm concerned if the gameplay matches the quality of their earlier games and whether the game is too short. Not worried about the performance hit.

Hollow Knight - Very interested since it seems like ultimate 2D metroidvania game. I quite liked Oni and absolutely love platformers such as the newer Rayman games.
Some people comparing it to Dark Souls, which is one of my favourite games of all time so I'm thinking this is the safe bet. Also, under 10 bucks!

Quantum Break is a really good game, I'm not sure why it gets so slept on around here. The story and writing are a little weaker than Max Payne or Alan Wake, but it has great set pieces and time-bending powers, and really solid weighty shooting. Good pacing too, typical Remedy - slow parts mixed with your action packed stuff. As for length, it's not shorter than most campaigns in something like Uncharted or whatever. 12 hours? Also a visually spectacular game.

Just make sure that (a) you don't play it like a cover shooter - you should liberally use your powers; and (b) you have a decent PC. It's demanding.

Hollow Knight is very good too - I'm about 4 hours in.

Nabs

Man, I'm torn! Trying to save my wallet but there are a few games that I'm really interested in and maybe you guys can convince me which one to get.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - First I was mildly interested but after the last few months it seems like this is the real deal going by peoples' impressions and the fact that it's at the top of the top sellers list consistently.
It's not on sale though, which stings and is still in early access. I do like this type of survival / king of the hill though and it seems super polished. I realise I could purchase Hollow Knight and Quantum Break for the same price...

Hollow Knight and Battlegrounds are the best games in years. The real deal.

daxy

You could probably find Root Double for really cheap in the trading thread or other Steam trade forums because it was in a Humble Bundle recently.

PUBG is on sale at Green Man Gaming I believe.

Scarecrow

I'm in for one of the recent immersive sim games but don't which to choose: Deus Ex 4 for $15, Dishonored 2 for $20, or Prey for $40. Any suggestions?

Anno

I'm in for one of the recent immersive sim games but don't which to choose: Deus Ex 4 for $15, Dishonored 2 for $20, or Prey for $40. Any suggestions?

Dishonored is my favorite of them. Download the demo if you want a taste of the game. If the second level is running well then the game mostly should as well and you can upgrade to the full thing while (I think?) carrying over your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom