• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the deal with Counter Strike? Looks like a faster CoD from the footage I've seen, what makes it so good/better? Thinking of getting into more MP games after really liking TF2 and Siege

CSGO or maybe Squad

jrcbandit

Gal Gun went on sale today if anyone is interested. It was full price this whole sale but it's 75% off now.

I kind of want the game out of morbid curiosity... The $90 DLC must be a joke and then they kept selling it because morons actually bought it. But seriously, is the game actually any good?

Jimrpg

I haven't played it, but from what I recall, it's an on-rails shooter.

Think Time Crisis or House of the Dead but instead of shooting soldiers or zombies you shoot little anime school girls who have fallen in love with you. It's really ridiculous.

This looks like a good price if you're looking for some on rail shooter action if you've played the other ones on steam already.

Ok I looked at some more videos, and I see what you're saying, guess I was just watching the wrong videos before. The game actually looks ok, the art style looks great though, really bright and colorful. Might pick it up some other time! Was not interested before.

LOL. Just go to bundlestars.com - it's 5 different bundles, each is $1.

Actually this links to the 5 bundles

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/collections/dollar-bundles

Man I feel ripped off paying $3 for the 28 game bundle!

I kind of want the game out of morbid curiosity... The $90 DLC must be a joke and then they kept selling it because morons actually bought it. But seriously, is the game actually any good?

Check out the $75? Pheromone DLC... I thought I'd seen it all in gaming, i guess not.

Uriah

So what's the deal with Counter Strike? Looks like a faster CoD from the footage I've seen, what makes it so good/better? Thinking of getting into more MP games after really liking TF2 and Siege

CSGO or maybe Squad

Counter-Strike isn't really like CoD. You can't zoom down the sights for most weapons and there are no perks. It's great if your looking for a competitive FPS though. Don't expect to be good instantly though. It takes a shitload of practice to learn the weapons sprays and learn to control recoil. It has skill based matchmaking, so that helps keep things somewhat fair.

Counter-Strike isn't really like CoD. You can't zoom down the sights for most weapons and there are no perks. It's great if your looking for a competitive FPS though. Don't expect to be good instantly though. It takes a shitload of practice to learn the weapons sprays and learn to control recoil. It has skill based matchmaking, so that helps keep things somewhat fair.
So that's the appeal? A lean skill based approach, without all the frills.and whatnot of other shooters?

Alrighty; I have several Steam keys I'm willing to trade for a US-valid Gift of BeamNG.Drive. I'll trade as many keys as you'd like for it. PM me if you're interested!

Home (Steam)
Neverwinter Enthusiast Pack (Key) EXPIRES DECEMBER 31, 2017
Blade and Soul Yogscast Pack (Key) POSSIBLY EXPIRED; I'LL GO FIRST
Battlerite Yogscast Mount (Steam DLC)
Bohemian Killing OST and Art (Steam DLC)
No Time to Explain! (Steam)
Guns of Icarus Online (Steam)
Overlord (Steam)
VVVVVV (Steam)
Rituals (Steam)
Crusaders of the Lost Idols Legendary Starter Pack (Steam)
Quest for Infamy (Steam)
Merchants of Kaidan (Steam)
BlockStorm (Steam)
Wasted (Steam)
Frozen Synapse (Steam)
Lumino City (Steam)
Galak-Z (Steam)
Baseball Stars 2 (Steam)
Broken Age (Steam)
Westerado: Double Barreled (Steam)
Small Radios, Big Televisions (Steam)

Bumping this up!

Kalnos

Banned
So that's the appeal? A lean skill based approach, without all the frills.and whatnot of other shooters?

It's a strategic FPS with a heavy emphasis on teamwork.

Skill comes from knowing when/what to buy with your money*, where to position yourself, how to move efficiently / quietly, knowing the recoil on guns, where you place your flashbangs, etc.

* What I mean by money is that the game has in-game money that you earn from killing players, defusing the bomb, planting the bomb, and so on. That money is used to buy grenades, flashbangs, tools, guns, and armor at the start of a round. If you don't die then you keep your items from the previous round. There is a strategic element of knowing when to buy/not buy items.

The game does feature some stuff that's not found in a lot of other shooters that are competitively played like friendly fire.

Uriah

Basically. It's one of the most skill based FPS without random bullshit that other shooters have (critical hits, perks, leveling, all that stuff). It also has a huge number of maps and modes so it's hard to get bored of things to do.

OmarYusaf

CSGO or maybe Squad

On a spectrum of shooters from arcade abstract ones like UT/Quake and full on military simulation like ARMA, CS falls squarely in the middle.

Compared to CoD it has realistic recoil which is not authentic. i.e. it throws off your aim but doesn't act like the recoil of real guns.

The reason for its popularity and competitive appeal is that its weird recoil can be learned. This gives it a high skill ceiling which CoD lacks and makes player skill increase linearly with experience, because you can always get better at predicting where your shots will land since they are predictable if hard to control.

Personally having played so much CS in college during its golden heyday, I'm burned off it, and CoD feels too casual and random to me, I have moved on to semi-realistic shooters which are more towards the ARMA end of the spectrum.

Try out Insurgency, Red Orchestra2, Rising Storm 2 or Squad. These try to realistically replicate the functionality and feel of real guns while still being a "game" and relatively accessible unlike ARMA. Have'nt played Seige but it seems to fall in this place as well.

Or even battlefield, which got me started on this slide towards more realistic shooters, its a great gateway drug.

It's a strategic FPS with a heavy emphasis on teamwork.

Skill comes from knowing when/what to buy with your money*, where to position yourself, how to move efficiently / quietly, knowing the recoil on guns, where you place your flashbangs, etc.

* What I mean by money is that the game has in-game money that you earn from killing players, defusing the bomb, planting the bomb, and so on. That money is used to buy grenades, flashbangs, tools, guns, and armor at the start of a round. If you don't die then you keep your items from the previous round. There is a strategic element of knowing when to buy/not buy items.

The game does feature some stuff that's not found in a lot of other shooters that are competitively played like friendly fire.
Basically. It's one of the most skill based FPS without random bullshit that other shooters have (critical hits, perks, leveling, all that stuff). It also has a huge number of maps and modes so it's hard to get bored of things to do.
On a spectrum of shooters from arcade abstract ones like UT/Quake and full on military simulation like ARMA, CS falls squarely in the middle.
Well that sounds perfect

Thanks for the replies

Any recommendations for open world games?

Already bought watch dogs 2 and loving it. Already own GTA V aswell.
How are the division and wildlands, worth buying?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any recommendations for open world games?

Already bought watch dogs 2 and loving it. Already own GTA V aswell.
How are the division and wildlands, worth buying?

I've not played Wildlands, but The Division isn't much of an SP game, if that's what you're after. You can play through the story missions solo, but the meat of the game is in the PVP zones and, frankly, running around the city by yourself is rather boring.

If you don't mind AssCreed, maybe give Syndicate a whirl. While undeniably an AssCreed game, structurally speaking it's one of Ubi's strongest open world games thus far; all of the game's systems blend together nicely and nothing feels undercooked. I wasn't much a fan of the Jack the Ripper DLC, though.

So how are these Avernum / Avadon games (stuff by Spiderweb Software)?

Are they actually like decently written and paced, or is it just pure dungeon crawling? I do enjoy CRPG combat and tactics, but without a decent sense of immersion and narrative context I can't really stomach a full game's worth.
Spiderweb's newer games (Avernum/Avadon, the only ones I've played) are 75% dungeon crawling, loot management, and exploration, but have some great writing that ties everything together. There's some light choice and consequence stuff too, IIRC. Although the gameplay itself is pretty simplistic, there's enough going on to make it engaging the entire way through--I've been consistently impressed with the level design in them, where exploring every inch of a map is worth it. Like, they're just really fun when you're in the mood--the lore is fascinating, and the gameplay, while not spectacular, is really solid.

Like, Avernum 1 will change your opinion on spiders forever. I'm not exaggerating.

CSGO or maybe Squad
I'll be honest, I find it pretty terrible. I find it a hard recommendation especially after getting into the likes of Siege. It's the kind of game that only exists the way it does due to coming from a mod -- which is to say it is inundated with some quirky unintuitive mechanics that have just grandfathered themselves into acceptance.

Counter-Strike was a game that was basically brute-forced into resembling something competitive, as its original iterations were going for something more of tactical realism at the time, but it's been stripped down to the point where only one game type is competitively viable, and the weapon variety has for the longest time been something of a joke.

PaulSane

Just finished Nier:Automata, took me 60 hours. That was indeed pretty good, one of the rare cases where hype was at least somewhat deserved :p

Eridani

Spiderweb's newer games (Avernum/Avadon, the only ones I've played) are 75% dungeon crawling, loot management, and exploration, but have some great writing that ties everything together. There's some light choice and consequence stuff too, IIRC. Although the gameplay itself is pretty simplistic, there's enough going on to make it engaging the entire way through--I've been consistently impressed with the level design in them, where exploring every inch of a map is worth it. Like, they're just really fun when you're in the mood--the lore is fascinating, and the gameplay, while not spectacular, is really solid.

Like, Avernum 1 will change your opinion on spiders forever. I'm not exaggerating.

I'd add to this that the Geneforge series is probably the best Spiderweb game when it comes to writing. Avernum and Avadon are mostly pretty generic fantasy with some cool elements on top while Geneforge has a much more unique world. It's also more open ended, since the multiple endings/story paths are much more diverse then the ones present in Avernum/Avadon.

Also, Avernum 1 and 2 on Steam are the second remake of the original Exile games. Sadly, Exile 3, which is mostly regarded as the best one, hasn't been remade the second time yet so it's not on steam. GOG, on the other hand, is selling the first series of remakes (which are also called Avernum) + Avernum 4,5,6 (which aren't remakes) here. This might be a better choice if you want to get the Avernum games, since Steam is missing the third one.

I'd add to this that the Geneforge series is probably the best Spiderweb game when it comes to writing. Avernum and Avadon are mostly pretty generic fantasy with some cool elements on top while Geneforge has a much more unique world. It's also more open ended, since the multiple endings/story paths are much more diverse then the ones present in Avernum/Avadon.

Also, Avernum 1 and 2 on Steam are the second remake of the original Exile games. Sadly, Exile 3, which is mostly regarded as the best one, hasn't been remade the second time yet so it's not on steam. GOG, on the other hand, is selling the first series of remakes (which are also called Avernum) + Avernum 4,5,6 (which aren't remakes) here. This might be a better choice if you want to get the Avernum games, since Steam is missing the third one.
Huh, I got it in that Humble Bundle (many years ago, wtf) and assumed Steam had all of them. So, good to know!

...I should really play the Geneforge games some time. They sound great, but I admit I'm shallow and wish they were purdier. Really, this applies to all of Spiderweb's games; I greatly enjoyed my time with them, but always find a reason to put off playing more of them.

Absolutely beautiful:

galgun6zu97.jpg

I find it very difficult to find anything of interest on steam, due to the sheer amount of games and the fact that the categories don't really narrow it down enough.

I want some pick up and play, preferably blue skies 3d games, akin to late 90s-early 2000s Sega etc.

I already have all the applicable sega games obviously.
Other than that I am looking at Distance, Grip, Altitude, Sky Rogue.

Is there anything else I should know about?
Anything that wouldn't have been out of place on the Dreamcast or Gamecube etc is of interest.

Favourite games are Burnout 2, Outrun 2, Mario 3d World, Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, Teenage Mutant Turtles The Hyperstone Heist, Daytona USA 2, Nights into Dreams, Crazy Taxi.

Least favourite games are patriotic heros shoot evil brown people in the face with automatic rifles simulator 12, drive realistic car simulator now with extra realistic windshield wipers and all the other popular modern games.

Nzyme32

For anyone interested - some Steam news (though this was aimed at devs so no full explanation of what to expect beyond this):

- Some info on the upcoming client update

8wrF5hF.jpg

NjBuTpv.jpg

ilDPHBw.jpg

- Some info on upcoming store updates

4XFLXpR.jpg

lR92DY6.jpg

DFxBD9g.jpg

qb66eg4.jpg

- Steam Stats as of the previous month

drjXets.jpg

yWBP7nm.jpg

S1Unzdh.jpg

John Dunbar

correct about everything
feel like playing a city building game, so thought about buying Cities: Skylines. is that bundle with expansions (After Dark/Snowfall/Natural Disasters) worth it?

TsuXna

Dishonored's Mission 4 took me almost 3 hours to beat. That's of course with finding all collectables and being as stealthy as possible.

I'd argue that it used to be all about playing "mod" maps with friends. A lot of them silly, and some really cool serious ones.

But I've only played CS 1.6 and Source, and at small LAN parties. No online.

They're not scrapping curators? Ugh.

They're giving me more garbage to click through to get rid of notifications? Ugh.

They're doubling down on streaming and Youtube video shilling? Ugh.

Ugh.

Nzyme32

They're not scrapping curators? Ugh.

They're giving me more garbage to click through to get rid of notifications? Ugh.

They're doubling down on streaming and Youtube video shilling? Ugh.

Ugh.

Why scrap curators - rather give the option for those that want it and those that don't to choose as they wish (ie opt in)

You already have the option to block such notification with minimal clicks in the settings after (rightful) complaints via Setting>Friends.
3NaYw0i.png

There is no actual telling how the new client will work though

The store is "shilling" by this logic. Developer diaries are "shilling" by this logic. Personally I want better access and knowledge of dev related events for games I'm interested in. Once again how the new client works is unknown, nor is the implementation within the store's update. As always, a small minority want to see everything and most people want to be selective, another minority want nothing at all - so it is a matter of how selective you get to be and the options available as opposed to "ugh"

lazerfox

For anyone interested - some Steam news (though this was aimed at devs so no full explanation of what to expect beyond this):

- Some info on the upcoming client update

- Some info on upcoming store updates

- Steam Stats as of the previous month

Damn, I was hoping to see an update on Big Picture Mode. Surely they wouldn't rework Steam's UI without including BPM? While it is functional it looks a ugly and outdated.

Jadax

Um, "russian territories"? I hope they mean just Russia and not RU/CIS region, or this is huge fuck up by author of this presentation.

Chill your balls, no need to take up pitchforks right away - maybe they mean nations that use Russian store?

I could be wrong, but it would make sense considering the presentation slide content.

Vuze

Sounds pretty big all around, looking forward to the new client and perhaps they manage to make keymailer obsolete.

pastrami

would be so nice to have a way to either disable bayonetta qte or make them show me ps4 prompts

it's really confusing cos i have a ps4 controller and on ps4 X is jump and then i get a qte in which bayonetta jump and the prompt says X but it means square cos it's xbox prompts

why the fuck does square jump during qte's

and you miss one and die and just fuck over your score

qte's in this game are so fucking shit lol

Often times, you can find button prompt mods. Like this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/460790/discussions/0/2741975115075796741/

Nzyme32

Damn, I was hoping to see an update on Big Picture Mode. Surely they wouldn't rework Steam's UI without including BPM? While it is functional it looks a ugly and outdated.

As I said, they are not discussing everything or even close. All they are talking about is the near term store update and only the developer relevant changes to the Library - ie the UI change with respect to that, the new things that come with that, and what that means to devs - extra work etc

For example any changes to library searching is not detailed since it isn't going to be relevant to the topic they are discussing - ie devs don't need to change what they are already doing. Same with BPM UI etc etc

Um, "russian territories"? I hope they mean just Russia and not RU/CIS region, or this is huge fuck up by author of this presentation.

Chill your balls, no need to take up pitchforks right away - maybe they mean nations that use Russian store?

I could be wrong, but it would make sense considering the presentation slide content.

Also there are three other segments they don't name. So I have no idea

CIS region and Russia have separate store and different prices. And it makes as much sense as calling Canada and India as "british territories", this is very insulting. But okay, let's move on and not derail thread in politics, if i understand right this slides was made by non-native english speaker and possibly just unintentionally wrong translated.

fantomena

My final haul for the sale:

Torment: Tides of Numenera
Outlast 2
Little Nightmares
What Remains of Edith Finch
Metrico+
Dead Effect 2
Maize
The Sexy Brutale
Voodoo Vince: Remastered
Pit People
Thimbleweed Park
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
STRAFE
Bokida - Heartfelt Reunion
Formula Fusion
A Pixel Story
Stories: Path of Destinies
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
Tales of Berseria
VA-11 HALL-A
Soft Body
Stories Untold
Unexplored
Neon Drive
Death Road to Canada
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition
Ben and Ed
Silence
Candle

Kaleinc

Banned
You already have the option to block such notification with minimal clicks in the settings after (rightful) complaints via Setting>Friends.
3NaYw0i.png
How hard would it be to make separate options for events and announcements? Will have to wait another 10 years I guess.

Nzyme32

How hard would it be to make separate options for events and announcements? Will have to wait another 10 years I guess.

Maybe. Or just in the next update. As far as I'm concerned it serves the same purpose so it doesn't bother me. The activity feed still houses all announcements regardless and gets rid of event pop-up notifications.

CIS region and Russia have separate store and different prices. And it makes as much sense as calling Canada and India as "british territories", this is very insulting. But okay, let's move on and not derail thread in politics, if i understand right this slides was made by non-native english speaker and possibly just unintentionally wrong translated.

Maybe non-native, but this is unlikely to be correct as I'm fairly sure Alden and the others are fluent. More so this seems to be the same terminology they use for many years. Canada for example is included with NA. On this topic, this is true in many industries as a short hand. I don't think too much thought is put into this nomenclature

Why scrap curators - rather give the option for those that want it and those that don't to choose as they wish (ie opt in)

3NaYw0i.png

There is no actual telling how the new client will work though

The store is "shilling" by this logic. Developer diaries are "shilling" by this logic. Personally I want better access and knowledge of dev related events for games I'm interested in. Once again how the new client works is unknown, nor is the implementation within the store's update. As always, a small minority want to see everything and most people want to be selective, another minority want nothing at all - so it is a matter of how selective you get to be and the options available as opposed to "ugh"

Because curators are a failure. They're another avenue for recommendations, basically a fancy, manual tagging system. The most popular ones are advertisements for big sites or personalities, commenting on games that their followers have already heard of through them. The others are jokes, and a scant few have niche curations that are potentially useful, like the 30FPS lock one (which is not at all what Valve designed the system for). But as a basis for recommending niche games, the existing tag system already does this; and as a broad recommendation engine, those popular games will get floated to users anyways.

The best thing Valve did with curators was hiding them on game pages, making them functionally invisible unless you were already following them. And to find new ones? You'd need a curator curator for that.

For notifications, you're likely right, there'll be an option to disable them. Still, ugh!

And, sorry, for the shilling part, I was referring to stuff like YouTube videos as the sole contents of a review or guide; I hate those. But I should've been more clear there. And them mentioning streaming is giving me visions of a dozen ~w~a~c~k~y~ twitch streams listed on every game I go to.
(Ugh!)

I just want a Steam store without all the bundle trash filling up every nook and cranny of my storefront. Valve pls.

OmarYusaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom