• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarRock

Updates sounding good o:

Cards money is giving me enough to buy one or two extra games but I'm unsure. Guess I'll wait until last day to see how much I can get.

CHC

So what's the deal with Counter Strike? Looks like a faster CoD from the footage I've seen, what makes it so good/better? Thinking of getting into more MP games after really liking TF2 and Siege

CSGO or maybe Squad

Oh god, Counter Strike.... (turbulent relationship over the years, for me).

Well, to start it is definitely NOT a faster paced Call of Duty. You get one life and if you die, you sit the rest of the round. Competitive mode - the kind of heart of the game - involves two teams of 5. They have to either defend /rescue hostages or plant / defuse a bomb, depending on the map.

The game however, is deeply strategic. Sure, some speed and skill is needed but in competitive it largely becomes about outthinking the other team and working together. Stuff like knowing how long it takes to get from A to B once the round starts and capitalizing on that to set a trap or get a flank, or running past a sight line to make it look like your team is going one way when they're really going another.

There is also an economic aspect - you get money for kills and winning and then buy your loadout every start of round (assuming you died, if you live you keep your stuff). So it can be better to forego a rifle and instead try to scavenge one in the hopes of buying a better weapon next round. The economy is actually fairly well balanced so that money is typically NOT trivial and makes the more desirable weapons somewhat rare.

All this said, the game is immensely hard because of how long people have been playing. The community can be good but it can also be phenomenally toxic. So proceed at your own risk.

Definitely a piece of gaming history, though, so it's absolutely worth checking out. There's a causal mode where the stakes aren't as high, also - so start there.

Nzyme32

Because curators are a failure. They're another avenue for recommendations, basically a fancy, manual tagging system. The most popular ones are advertisements for big sites or personalities, commenting on games that their followers have already heard of through them. The others are jokes, and a scant few have niche curations that are potentially useful, like the 30FPS lock one (which is not at all what Valve designed the system for). But as a basis for recommending niche games, the existing tag system already does this; and as a broad recommendation engine, those popular games will get floated to users anyways.

Agreed on this prior to last month. They did fuck all with the system so it built up in this way - functionally useless to most folk. However I am all for actually making this a useful system through which actual good curators can surface or be followed. For that to happen they actually need to work on the system, features, usability etc etc - which they started on last month but clearly a lot of the functionality known to come has yet to arrive. As usual, this should all remain opt in so it is a non-issue for those that don't want it or want no part of it till it is actually a functionally useful component (which I doubt will be the case for at least a year or two - if they keep supporting and developing it)

CHC

Spiderweb's newer games (Avernum/Avadon, the only ones I've played) are 75% dungeon crawling, loot management, and exploration, but have some great writing that ties everything together. There's some light choice and consequence stuff too, IIRC. Although the gameplay itself is pretty simplistic, there's enough going on to make it engaging the entire way through--I've been consistently impressed with the level design in them, where exploring every inch of a map is worth it. Like, they're just really fun when you're in the mood--the lore is fascinating, and the gameplay, while not spectacular, is really solid.

Like, Avernum 1 will change your opinion on spiders forever. I'm not exaggerating.

I'd add to this that the Geneforge series is probably the best Spiderweb game when it comes to writing. Avernum and Avadon are mostly pretty generic fantasy with some cool elements on top while Geneforge has a much more unique world. It's also more open ended, since the multiple endings/story paths are much more diverse then the ones present in Avernum/Avadon.

Also, Avernum 1 and 2 on Steam are the second remake of the original Exile games. Sadly, Exile 3, which is mostly regarded as the best one, hasn't been remade the second time yet so it's not on steam. GOG, on the other hand, is selling the first series of remakes (which are also called Avernum) + Avernum 4,5,6 (which aren't remakes) here. This might be a better choice if you want to get the Avernum games, since Steam is missing the third one.

Thanks guys, I guess for 3 bucks there's no reason not to give one of them a shot. Also, I had heard the name Geneforge but didn't know it was by them / him.

My haul:

ABZÛ
GTA Collection
Grand Theft Auto V
Unreal Deal
Danganronpa 1 + 2
Steam Controller + Link
Half-Life Complete
Star Wars KOTOR 1 + 2
Jedi Outcast
Max Payne 1 + 2
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Firewatch
Sonic Generations Collection
VA-11 HALL-A
STEINS;GATE
Stephen's Sausage Roll

220€ w/ shipping.

Nzyme32

My Steam Controller came in the mail today! let's see if i can play the original Deus Ex with this thing...

Yes you can, extraordinarily well imo. One of the first test I did with the steam controller (and thankfully some changes came after I complained in the beta). You could probably do a much better job with making a binding config now that there are so many new features.

I think mine is the second top listed, has every control and shortcut included too.

Castef

Banned
Out of curiosity, what's the consensus about this Steam Summer Sale 2017?

I've read a bunch of tweets from people complaining about the amount of discounts and I wanted to know your opinion.

To me, it seems that there is plenty of discounts, yet overall I perceive a bit of pulled handbrake.

And, if you ask me, I think this is good.

cMwTOnW.jpg

Truth. Passing on Shadow Warrior AGAIN because it's $23.

MUnited83

For you.
So seems like
header.jpg

is actually completely uncensored on Steam which is pretty surprising. Seems like Steam is getting less restrictive for "those" kinds of games?

h#shdem0n

I've read a bunch of tweets from people complaining about the amount of discounts and I wanted to know your opinion.

To me, it seems that there is plenty of discounts, yet overall I perceive a bit of pulled handbrake.

Really disappointing tbh. I still managed to find about ~$100 worth of stuff I want, but it's mostly $9.99 games for $4.99.

CHC

Really disappointing tbh. I still managed to find about ~$100 worth of stuff I want, but it's mostly $9.99 games for $4.99.

haha in the case of my wishlist it's more like $19.99 for $16.99 but yeah, the point still stands. The real savings now seem to come from physical key sellers like CDKeys, or Humble's stuff.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My fear is that one of my bigger purchases will be the featured game in the next Humble Monthly.

That's why I skipped Everspace. Looks so good, but I can see it being on Humble and me kicking myself.

Wok

My fear is that one of my bigger purchases will be the featured game in the next Humble Monthly.

That's why I skipped Everspace. Looks so good, but I can see it being on Humble and me kicking myself.

1. Buy it
  2. Play it for less than 2 hours
  3. See what is part of the monthly bundle
  4. Refund if needed

Went a little overboard on VR games but I think I got enough to last me for a while now, still a few I'm considering like Batman Arkham VR and Onward.

Space Pirate Trainer
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Pavlov VR
Job Simulator
SUPERHOT VR
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR
The Gallery - EP1: Call of the Starseed
Twisted Arrow
Virtual Desktop

Plus a handful of free games and experiences.

Arex

I still haven't bought anything :[

Slightly tempted by Football Manager 2017, but I don't wanna lose my life lol

Arthea

Russian territories? what year is it?

that's not simply unfortunate wording, no, that's stepping on great number of toes right here.
using word "territories" in such a context? nobody can be this naive to think that's fine.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I have wet my pants a bit after watching this Dishonored video. it's amazing.
What the hell?!
Did he just throw a guy of a ledge to use him as a platform?

Throwing someone's head at a guard to push him into a wall of light is quite original but i've only played these games (trying to be) non-lethal so seeing this much decapitations was pretty shocking. :p

Endruen

So seems like
header.jpg

is actually completely uncensored on Steam which is pretty surprising. Seems like Steam is getting less restrictive for "those" kinds of games?

I saw that on a couple of Youtube videos. I also noticed the house is bought from the Unity store.

Aranath

Two questions:

1) Is Lego Harry Potter not available on Steam anymore? It comes up in my Google searches and shows it's on special, but when I load the page it says the page does not exist. If I try search for it, nothing comes up at all. I get all the other Lego games, but not the Harry Potter ones.

2) I have a PC with a 980ti/3570k @ 4.2ghz with a 1440p Gsync monitor, as well as a PS4 Pro with a 4K/HDR TV. Would I be better off grabbing Dishonored 2 for the PS4, given the technical problems on PC? Or would trying to brute force it on PC and smoothing whatever I can with Gsync be a better idea?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
2) I have a PC with a 980ti/3570k @ 4.2ghz with a 1440p Gsync monitor, as well as a PS4 Pro with a 4K/HDR TV. Would I be better off grabbing Dishonored 2 for the PS4, given the technical problems on PC? Or would trying to brute force it on PC and smoothing whatever I can with Gsync be a better idea?

Download the demo and give it a shot. That's what I did, and I can run the game nicely at 1440p with a 1070, which probably isn't much different then your 980ti.

Aranath

Download the demo and give it a shot. That's what I did, and I can run the game nicely at 1440p with a 1070, which probably isn't much different then your 980ti.

Has the demo been patched and properly reflects the current state of the game? I thought I read it hadn't. If it has, then I'll have to give that a whack.

TsuXna

I lost it at the exploding bolt part haha

Dude has 959 hours played on Dishonored
I'll put a lot of hours into it as well. I am doing low chaos/stealth walkthrough first. IDK when i'll get to play all other new games i bought ><
What the hell?!
Did he just throw a guy of a ledge to use him as a platform?

Throwing someone's head at a guard to push him into a wall of light is quite original but i've only played these games (trying to be) non-lethal so seeing this much decapitations was pretty shocking. :p

I'll go full chaos mode after stealth. I really want to try some of the things he did.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Has the demo been patched and properly reflects the current state of the game? I thought I read it hadn't. If it has, then I'll have to give that a whack.

Yikes! I figured the demo would indicative of the full version and bought it. Well, there's always refunds if it's not so good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Two questions:

1) Is Lego Harry Potter not available on Steam anymore? It comes up in my Google searches and shows it's on special, but when I load the page it says the page does not exist. If I try search for it, nothing comes up at all. I get all the other Lego games, but not the Harry Potter ones.

They're not available in EU regions for some reason. They can still be gifted to you, though.

It was patched two-and-a-half weeks ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's my pitch for a revised version of curators:
- Allow curators to embed an affiliate ID to get 1% of all purchases the clicker makes within 24 hours (with some minimum payout so that regular users don't generate their own affiliate IDs to subsidize their own purchases)
- Ban curators from explicit quid pro quo deals with developers for promoting their stuff
- Turn off the Steam curators function and don't worry about it; let people take advantage of this system however works for them. If it's a website, good. If it's a Twitter feed, good. If it's a Steam group, good.

There is no way that a Steam curator function is going to be better than what most of the would-be curators already do on the venues they already get audiences.

Hey, it looks like steamdb added release date filter on sales page!
mRCCwnQ.jpg

And this is real release dates, not when game was released on Steam! Amazing feature, going to buy more stuff

Only bought Dishonored 2 so far, Humblebundles have ruined me as every game I see has the potential to be bundled maybe even in the next monthly >.>

My haul this year.

Had $5 Amazon credit so I got Thumper there. Also dipped into the Sony summer sale and grabbed Resogun.

Came out to about $56 and some change. Would have been able to keep it under $50 if it wasn't for the $8 shipping on the link.

JaseC

Hey, it looks like steamdb added release date filter on sales page!
mRCCwnQ.jpg

And this is real release dates, not when game was released on Steam! Amazing feature, going to buy more stuff

It's both.The release date info is taken from store pages.

Ascheroth

Guys, games singleplayer with great story?

Deadly Premonition is a technical disaster, but oh so good.
It's hard to recommend Nier Automata at the current price with Square Enixs fuckery though.
Fata Morgana is a Visual Novel, so there's no gameplay.

eot

Banned

People have been saying that Steam sales are disappointing for the last 5 years. The fewer games you own the more likely you are to find great deals.

Personally I haven't bought anything. Debating picking up Lightning Returns even though I haven't started the first two yet :lol

low-G

I have over 1000 games and I think this was the best summer sale in years. Why? Actually hitting or matching lowest prices on record. The last few years people were duped into paying sale prices that were higher than they had been.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I would say in general the average discount percentage is trending down for two reasons: 1) Because more games release on Steam now, the average age of a game on Steam is younger than ever, which would suggest a lower average discount; 2) Existing games doing the same or less discounting than before.

I would say this metagame with stickers is kinda cool, even if it took a few days to get going. I forcibly subject my wife to Steam sale meta-games and badge crafting and she was actually pretty engaged in the sticker thing.

The thing is that the people complaining about bad steam sales are people with high hundreds or thousands of games who have been around for a long time. I have a friend who has 5 games on Steam, and she has like probably 200 hours on each of those games (Cities Skylines, Rimworld, Stardew Valley, etc.) Clearly this is not going to be a bad sale for her because there's surely one or two more games she can add to her collection at 75% off or 60% off or whatever.

On the other hand, I've got 3,500 games or w/e and even though I bought 10 or 15 in the sale, I'm still fixated on all the bullshit 20% discounts and how Everybody's Gone to the Rapture didn't get a discount at all and how I wish Humble and Bundlestars were doing more stuff and how cross-region gifting ain't what it once was and...

JaseC

Well, of course, for new games it's true, but i meant older titles. Steam search by release date - http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win&page=1141 shows only release date in store, not real release date. Now it's easier to find games from specific year from 1980-2007 periods thanks to steamdb, and this is great.

It's the case for all games. The difference you're noticing is due to Valve very recently updating store subs with release date info that refers to when the sub was added to the store and this now the date listed in search results. If you click through to the app page itself, though, you'll see that the release date info matches up with what SteamDB has listed, so some of its entries are going to be incorrect, too. SteamDB's list is definitely better, but it's not exactly a workaround for the issue you mentioned the other day of some release dates being incorrect.

I think the idea is that using sub release dates ensures consistency, but I do think Valve should go back to using the publisher-supplied dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom