• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

Picked up the season pass for Mankind Divided. It's only 7.50 and I kind of want to revisit the game, despite how much I crap on it all the time here. Curious about the DLC missions.

I have Half Life 2 in my cart, I thought I was the only PC gamer in the world to have not played it yet, there must be dozens of us!

It would be interesting to play Half-Life 2 in 2017. The game is from 2004 (and I dare say it's aged better than any other shooter from that era) so it's got some aged elements, and I see a few modern gamers complain about the pacing of some of the levels, but I think it would still feel pretty fresh to most folks.

I played it and the Episodes in 2008 or so, and even though basically every shooter since has taken a lot of cues from Half-Life 2 (making some of its innovations feel routine) I still found it utterly enthralling. I replayed it two years ago in ultra with supersampling and still really enjoyed it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It would be interesting to play Half-Life 2 in 2017. The game is from 2004 (and I dare say it's aged better than any other shooter from that era) so it's got some aged elements, and I see a few modern gamers complain about the pacing of some of the levels, but I think it would still feel pretty fresh to most folks.

I played it and the Episodes in 2008 or so, and even though basically every shooter since has taken a lot of cues from Half-Life 2 (making some of its innovations feel routine) I still found it utterly enthralling. I replayed it two years ago in ultra with supersampling and still really enjoyed it.

When I play it I'll use the HL2 update mod, it seems to really freshen it up and make it more modern: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/

When I play it I'll use the HL2 update mod, it seems to really freshen it up and make it more modern: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/

Damn, that looks like a great mod. Goddammit, looks like I'm playing Half-Life 2 again tonight. THANKS BUDDY

In all seriousness, I think maybe the parts of the game that have aged the worst aren't the graphics but rather a few things you don't see in modern FPS games anymore, like platforming elements or narrow balancing acts. The original Half-Life had stuff like that too, more so by my recollection.

red capsule

i recently bought quake and was wondering how to get this hud?
DCMJAES.jpg

i had it before then i accidentally ran quake from steam and everything got ruined
i'm using quakespasm btw

what i currently have right now:

is there some kind of console command?

EdmondD

Beat Alien Isolation yesterday. Really enjoyed it for the most part but damn did it ever over stay its welcome. It took me 20 hours to beat but felt like 40. I was taking my time with it but turns out the game would drag itself out without my assistance. I was glad when it was over and I could uninstall it. Glad I experienced it but don't think I ever want to play it again.

Fantastic graphics and atmosphere. Great lighting. Well optimized too. I was shocked it ran on my toaster. Sound design is superb. Probably the best thing in the game and reminds me of the good old days when developers paid attention to how their games sounded. They capture the feel of the film quite well. Even have the actors from the movie doing voices. Overall I would recommend it but I just wish it did not drag towards the end.

Beat Alien Isolation yesterday. Really enjoyed it for the most part but damn did it ever over stay its welcome. It took me 20 hours to beat but felt like 40. I was taking my time with it but turns out the game would drag itself out without my assistance. I was glad when it was over and I could uninstall it. Glad I experienced it but don't think I ever want to play it again.

Fantastic graphics and atmosphere. Great lighting. Well optimized too. I was shocked it ran on my toaster. Sound design is superb. Probably the best thing in the game and reminds me of the good old days when developers paid attention to how their games sounded. They capture the feel of the film quite well. Even have the actors from the movie doing voices. Overall I would recommend it but I just wish it did not drag towards the end.

Now play SOMA!

Paragon

i recently bought quake and was wondering how to get this hud?
i had it before then i accidentally ran quake from steam and everything got ruined
i'm using quakespasm btw
what i currently have right now:
is there some kind of console command?
I think - or = should do it.
I'd also suggest this to remove the texture filtering:
Code:
gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR
To reverse it:
Code:
gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Metro Last Light is creepy as fuck, about an hour into it and the atmosphere is great, this is shaping up to be a solid FPS campaign. I played the first game years ago but remember very little about it.

CHC

Agreed, it's too damn long and really, really not conducive to replays. I've tried twice and I'm always like "man, this game is fucking great," then I just peter out around the medical area. For me, it's also just too high intensity to enjoy a second time. It's really a genuinely stressful and scary game in the early sections, not at all friendly to revisit. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but one time through is probably all I have in me.

And yeah, like people said, I prefer SOMA though they're not directly comparable. It's much tighter and has a more relaxed pace (you're safe most of the time), so I can kind of relax and coast through it when I go back. I think I've beaten it two or three times by now.

Yep. Even if it had sold well enough for a sequel it was clear they didn't have enough ideas.

EdmondD

Agreed, it's too damn long and really, really not conducive to replays. I've tried twice and I'm always like "man, this game is fucking great," then I just peter out around the medical area. For me, it's also just too high intensity to enjoy a second time. It's really a genuinely stressful and scary game in the early sections, not at all friendly to revisit. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but one time through is probably all I have in me.

And yeah, like people said, I prefer SOMA though they're not directly comparable. It's much tighter and has a more relaxed pace (you're safe most of the time), so I can kind of relax and coast through it when I go back. I think I've beaten it two or three times by now.

Yeah, I wish there was more areas where I could just chill and explore. Can't really soak in that atmosphere when I got an Alien up my ass all the time. I hate how the Alien will teleport just to be near you. There are some mods that make the Alien more free roaming. He won't stalk you as much and will show up in surprising places or so the mod claims. I wanted to do a vanilla run first though. I think when I get a new rig I will play it again with mods and turning all the graphics up.

Amneisac

Gaf, do we like Book of Demons? Looking for something kind of arpg-ish and I've already played the usual suspects, Diablo, Vran, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, PoE, etc.

microdot

Wooo! My first steam sale done.

Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun
Subnautica
Hollow Knight
Portal 1/2
Grim Dawn
Brother: A Tale of Two Sons
Shadow Warrior
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley
Inside
Super hot
Nier: Automata

Quick impressions of Hollow Knight:

"Hmm, I don't particularly like these kinds of games, I'll try it out for an hour and return it if I don't like it."

After 4 hours of playing

"Hmm, I really need to eat. Okay I need to stop this."

Gaf, do we like Book of Demons? Looking for something kind of arpg-ish and I've already played the usual suspects, Diablo, Vran, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, PoE, etc.

I've been playing it today and for an early access title, there's quite a lot to do. It is basically a parody of the first Diablo game. You still click enemies to kill them, but your weapons and skills now take the form of cards. Leveling up is simplistic - you choose to either boost your health or mana. The only two classes right now are the warrior and mage, but the ranger class is getting added soon. I'd at least give it a shot and refund it if you don't like it. You can do a lot in two hours.

Subnautica
Hollow Knight
Portal 1/2
Grim Dawn
Shadow Warrior
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley
Inside
Super hot

"Hmm, I don't particularly like these kinds of games, I'll try it out for an hour and return it if I don't like it."

After 4 hours of playing

I wanted Hollow Knight so much but I figure I will give my Switch something to play once it releases.

Grief.exe

Subnautica
Hollow Knight
Portal 1/2
Grim Dawn
Shadow Warrior
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley
Inside
Super hot

After 4 hours of playing

That's some top tier choices.

Job Simulator does such a good job showing off the ease of use and fluidity of VR, it feels so natural. Had the most fun playing Vive games today than I've had playing video games in a long time.

CHC

So how are these Avernum / Avadon games (stuff by Spiderweb Software)?

Are they actually like decently written and paced, or is it just pure dungeon crawling? I do enjoy CRPG combat and tactics, but without a decent sense of immersion and narrative context I can't really stomach a full game's worth.

So I just played the first episode of Stories Untold and realized I would love to play some more text adventure games. Can anyone recommend anything similar? I am looking through Steam currently.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So I just played the first episode of Stories Untold and realized I would love to play some more text adventure games. Can anyone recommend anything similar? I am looking through Steam currently.

http://ifdb.tads.org/
http://www.ifarchive.org/
https://itch.io/games/tag-twine

On Steam itself, I recently won Open Sorcery from a mystery giveaway. Only played through to one (bad) ending, but it seemed neat. Tonally similar to Shadowrun, which I like a lot.

Jimrpg

Gal Gun went on sale today if anyone is interested. It was full price this whole sale but it's 75% off now.

I've seen this everytime I go buy Vita games online and always check out videos of this game, and everytime I have no idea what the game is.

75% off is huge though.

data

Are they actually like decently written and paced, or is it just pure dungeon crawling? I do enjoy CRPG combat and tactics, but without a decent sense of immersion and narrative context I can't really stomach a full game's worth.

I've only played a certain Avernum game a few years ago, it was my first CRPG actually. Though I didn't beat it (it got way too difficult for me), I thought the writing was quite nice.

Madventure

I have 59 hours in the Avadon the Black Fortress (The first one) and I only have a little pit into Avernum escape from the pit, but I own all of the spiderweb games for the most part. Besides Avernum 2 and Avadon 3, don't own those yet.

The story is pretty big and I thought it was well written, It engaged me enough to last that long at least so there's that. Their engine is the thing that doesn't really change all that much so they get by on what they can stuff in with heaps of text it just mostly depends on if that heap of text is what you find interesting

I don't really know if that was even remotely useful

zkylon

zkylewd
would be so nice to have a way to either disable bayonetta qte or make them show me ps4 prompts

it's really confusing cos i have a ps4 controller and on ps4 X is jump and then i get a qte in which bayonetta jump and the prompt says X but it means square cos it's xbox prompts

why the fuck does square jump during qte's

and you miss one and die and just fuck over your score

qte's in this game are so fucking shit lol

If you are into +1s, you can currently get 157 games for a total of $5 at Bundlestars lol.
lol that's so depressing

can you send me the link, i have a friend i want to make miserable by forcing them to buy them lol

I want to get Black Desert Online so badly but the Xing anti cheat thing I've read about makes me uneasy. Someone tell me it's all okay so I can pull the trigger. :p

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

16bit trader -- MB-3077E6EDF181C209 - Taken by jorkila
All guns on deck -- MB-17632D27BD2BC162 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Samoliotik -- MB-A7D73F3E34E9334B - Taken by Goldensun_it
The last hope -- MB-FB0457B2961FA33D - Taken by kinezu
Timberman -- MB-8E9A90C61D0EA9FA - Taken by Ventara
Timore inferno -- MB-2ACED9122DA9B444 - Taken by firehawk12

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
lol that's so depressing

can you send me the link, i have a friend i want to make miserable by forcing them to buy them lol

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?page=1&types=bundle

I was tempted to grab one or two of them because of course there's usually a singular game that looks like it might be interesting.

Don't forget to use RED5 to save 5 percent off your dollar order! or don't I guess

Blu(e)

I've seen this everytime I go buy Vita games online and always check out videos of this game, and everytime I have no idea what the game is.

75% off is huge though.

Think Time Crisis or House of the Dead but instead of shooting soldiers or zombies you shoot little anime school girls who have fallen in love with you. It's really ridiculous.

This looks like a good price if you're looking for some on rail shooter action if you've played the other ones on steam already.

Ventara

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?page=1&types=bundle

I was tempted to grab one or two of them because of course there's usually a singular game that looks like it might be interesting.

Don't forget to use RED5 to save 5 percent off your dollar order!

Don't think discount codes work for $1 bundles, at a least whenever I try.

Yeah, according to the site

Not available on Bundles, Star Deals and pre-purchase offers.

Classic style or more modern?

For ones from the recent genre revival, check out Inkle's Sorcery series, 80 Days, and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

For more traditional style, check out Zombie Exodus, Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, and games from Tin Man Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom