• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Premonition is a technical disaster, but oh so good.
It's hard to recommend Nier Automata at the current price with Square Enixs fuckery though.
Fata Morgana is a Visual Novel, so there's no gameplay.

Is Xanadu Next's story really comparable to those other games? That's interesting, I know it's highly regarded for the dungeons but I assumed story was secondary, I really need to check it out

Ascheroth

Is Xanadu Next's story really comparable to those other games? That's interesting, I know it's highly regarded for the dungeons but I assumed story was secondary, I really need to check it out
Oh yeah, I forgot a sentence about Xanadu Next. It's story is more subdued and the gameplay is indeed the focus, but I greatly enjoyed it and the finale was impressive.

Knurek

God, that Trump's gif is something else...

42 hours into Dies Irae, nearing the second ending. Real shit just hit the fan.

I stand by my previous assertion - this is pretty much Fate/Stay Night v2, only competently translated. If you can get over the way the game treats Nazis (which, I guess, is endemic to larger parts of Asia), it's well worth your time (and potentially money).

I would say in general the average discount percentage is trending down for two reasons: 1) Because more games release on Steam now, the average age of a game on Steam is younger than ever, which would suggest a lower average discount; 2) Existing games doing the same or less discounting than before.

I would say this metagame with stickers is kinda cool, even if it took a few days to get going. I forcibly subject my wife to Steam sale meta-games and badge crafting and she was actually pretty engaged in the sticker thing.

The thing is that the people complaining about bad steam sales are people with high hundreds or thousands of games who have been around for a long time. I have a friend who has 5 games on Steam, and she has like probably 200 hours on each of those games (Cities Skylines, Rimworld, Stardew Valley, etc.) Clearly this is not going to be a bad sale for her because there's surely one or two more games she can add to her collection at 75% off or 60% off or whatever.

On the other hand, I've got 3,500 games or w/e and even though I bought 10 or 15 in the sale, I'm still fixated on all the bullshit 20% discounts and how Everybody's Gone to the Rapture didn't get a discount at all and how I wish Humble and Bundlestars were doing more stuff and how cross-region gifting ain't what it once was and...
I envy your friend's focus. It takes a really special game to do that to me these days, and in spite of playing way more (varied) games than I used to, my time commitment to each one has cratered overall. And it's not due to lack of time, either...

I must have spent thousands of hours on Battle.net during the SC/D2/WC3 days, but my most-played game since then, on Steam, has been TF2 since forever. (And I stopped playing it years ago.) And, like you, I'm here trying to find stuff I want to buy on Steam instead of actually playing games; the worst part is that I'm staring at Battlegrounds--a game not even on sale.

Valve probably has all sorts of weird stats on its users' buying habits.

venomenon

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

AI: Rampage -- MB-DFF51B5A2EA18744 - Taken by Jalal
Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-FA997CF555C918CC - Taken by dot
Clergy Splode -- MB-6F1E1F785904DB92 - Taken by pantsattack
Crash Time 2 -- MB-826A5CAA08CFCCCD - Taken by Ryukori
Elements: Soul of Fire -- MB-DB2C9EF72F1072D7 - Taken by voodooray
Fly and Destroy -- MB-D87DF3EA3A5C0EE8 - Taken by longlivegaming
Freebie -- MB-34860A40440735CC - Taken by krczt23
Incitement 3 -- MB-5730A9C3BA64E126 - Taken by pantsattack
Neon Space 2 -- MB-99F3B3145386334E - Taken by longlivegaming
Odallus: The Dark Call -- MB-9FD2E2B239EF31EB - Taken by sadblob
Project Starship -- MB-4051F6BE232B27B7 - Taken by septicore
Rabiez: Epidemic -- MB-68DD2E6B6DE0C6F8 - Taken by septicore
ShipLord -- MB-6D80DB6DE8A082F9 - Taken by krczt23
State of Anarchy -- MB-4C23577771CD9310 - Taken by Demon Lizardman
Stigmat -- MB-EF62B765C4C2F186 - Taken by Belgarion
Super Mustache -- MB-D30F288D86179F91 - Taken by arts&crafts
Terra Incognita Chapter One: The Descendant -- MB-9F2E1461B041980A - Taken by krczt23

Coreda

I know it's considered great but is DMC4 worth playing for someone who probably won't learn all the super-duper combos? In other words, is there enough to enjoy if you only play it basically?

Bought it on sale years ago but has gone untouched.

How is the X-COM 2 port these days? I know it was fucked up at launch but I haven't checked in lately.

It's demanding, but otherwise fine. You'll probably experience FPS drops during more intense missions, and the action cam (showing a lot of scenery) will probably drop FPS too, but performance seems much more consistent than at launch.

They're patching performance again with the War of the Chosen expansion in about two months, but I wouldn't expect major changes/improvements on that front.

fertygo

I know it's considered great but is DMC4 worth playing for someone who probably won't learn all the super-duper combos? In other words, is there enough to enjoy if you only play it basically?

the combat still fun and flshy even with basic mashing combo

TsuXna

Yes. There are a lot of basic combos which will work just as fine.

Lirik playing Slime Rancher. Game looks super cute. Must resist ><

Batch 1:
Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today
Headlander
Orwell
Fran Bow
Virginia
Milkmaid of the Milky Way
The Sexy Brutale

Batch 2:
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
No Man's Sky
1979 Revolution: Black Friday
What Remains of Edith Finch
Oxygen Not Included

Batch 3:
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Refunded No Man's Sky

It's more than I have spent on a Steam sale in several years.

fertygo

Only for the remainder, or so it seems.

mtiCZ2V.png

you don't see that "change" button?

TsuXna

In what way?

The basic crosshair is awful. The gap between the crosshair is too big to aim accurately. You can zoom in for a huge dot which cover the part of the enemies body entirely. Hard to tell where you are aiming exactly. It makes small aim adjustment bad as well.

shockdude

Been playing some previously purchased games instead of buying new ones, lol.

Ridge Racer Unbounded: I've actually played this game before but resumed it today. A fun arcade racer, but pretty difficult due to strange drifting controls and rubberbanding AI.

Bleed: Great action game with great controls and bosses, but short. Heavily dependent on replayability and mastery (S-rank combos and stuff); would only recommend if you enjoy games like Platinum games and DMC.

The Swapper: Incredible puzzle game thanks to its challenging puzzles and thought-provoking scifi backdrop. The ending of the game actually made me hesitate for a bit. Don't look up solutions to the puzzles online, even if it's tempting to do so.

Pilot Crusader: A shmup that's not very good.

Gone Home: It's a walking simulator. It's pure "learning through immersion/exploration," and it works. Good story, excellent writing.

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist: $0 for 30 minutes of good times. You should play this.

2064: Read Only Memories: Point-and-click, only an hour in but the story seems interesting so far.

The basic crosshair is awful. The gap between the crosshair is too big to aim accurately. You can zoom in for a huge dot which cover the part of the enemies body entirely. Hard to tell where you are aiming exactly. It makes small aim adjustment bad as well.
I played through whole game with almost fully disabled HUD and aim without crosshair at all, never had any noticeable problems with aiming.

Oh, I think I turned the crosshair off. I think everything was off except the ammo counter and the enemies sensing-meter.

Only bought Dishonored 2 so far, Humblebundles have ruined me as every game I see has the potential to be bundled maybe even in the next monthly >.>
You and I will be quite upset when Dishonored 2 is the lead game for next month's bundle

Two questions:

1) I have a PC with a 980ti/3570k @ 4.2ghz with a 1440p Gsync monitor, as well as a PS4 Pro with a 4K/HDR TV. Would I be better off grabbing Dishonored 2 for the PS4, given the technical problems on PC? Or would trying to brute force it on PC and smoothing whatever I can with Gsync be a better idea?
I have the exact same setup with a 1070 instead and 8gb of Ram. Just let the game auto detect settings and you'll have good performance.

Gsync is great cus my performance is above 60fps most of the game now. Couldn't imagine playing it at 30fps now.

An HD remake or remaster of Azure Dreams would do well in the modern market.

It's gameplay (the monster collecting, dungeon running until you bail, city upgrading) are all pretty hot elements right now.

TsuXna

You definitely should do this, playing with disable HUD (except enemies sensing-meter) is definitive way to play Primal, it's really more fun and much more immersive game without HUD. And also really beautiful:

It is very beautiful. The white wolf is super cute as well and patting it is oddly satisfying.

fenners

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

10 Second Ninja X -- MB-8E82847F558965CA - Taken by DataGhost

Anteater

yeah Nero is very accessible, but Dante (second half) might require you to learn a few things, I'd recommend Bayonetta though if you want a good action game that don't require you to be technical

Ludens

Banned
Completed Silence, another game I bought during this sale.
Honestly I don't know if recommend it or not. The title is bloody short, I completed it in under three hours because there are just a bunch of easy puzzles and it's more like a Telltale game than a point a click adventure (there's not even an inventory, in example), it lacks a proper plot's development, it's just a bunch of scenes and situations you need to solve.
But the art is really good, it's the best looking Daedalic game so far (and probably one of the best looking adventure you can find, even if the game "cheats" since the backgrounds are just HD artwork and not 3D models), the soundtrack is nice and the ending is catching.

I bought it with a 75% off or something like that, but my suggestion is to wait for a bundle. The Whispered World was much better than this.

Swig_

I don't think I've seen anyone mention The Long Dark this sale at all. The sale price seems a lot more than it was in previous sales. I'm kind of interested, but I'm not sure if it's a good buy or not..

Murkas

That thread with everyone spunking over Baldurs Gate 2 got me in the mood for classic PC games. Can I get some recommendations?

Got BG2 and maybe Planetscape Torment in mind so far. Will probably get Quake too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom