• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

RootCause

Hmmm.. Hitman Absolution keeps crashing. -__-
Anyone have any idea? I've google, and the "fox" really didn't solve anything for me.

yuraya

Resident Evil 6 is still not at what I would define as a reasonable price for its age.

Capcom is notoriously bad about lowering prices.

To be fair its the most content packed RE game with several different campaigns and mercs. Its easily worth the 7$ even if its one of the worst entries in the franchise.

Remmy2112

How's X-Com: Enemy Within?

It's the only DLC I don't have for the first game and I'm about to start a new playthrough...

I think it integrats to the main campaign so if I do get it I should install it before starting the campaign?

Enemy Within is a very good expansion and yes, it does integrate into the main campaign so you should install it before starting the new campaign. The new aliens and MECs the game adds are fantastic and the other enemies they add change things up. Just be aware going in that they have some of the same capabilities as you. Namely rocket launchers.

So I'm playing Emerge, and I try a run with a pistol. I discovered that they suck--their accuracy and damage is garbage, and they need extra skills to actually kill anything reliably. (Dangerous Shot or w/e, which makes the final shot in a clip deal exrta damage and pierce armour.) Stacked with an extra-damage headshot skill, the killing power gets respectable. But before I can even try this, I am absolutely crushed at every turn and end up losing the game. I vow never to use pistols again.

Fast forward to my next match, mere turns into the game. I come across an event where suddenly the Hulk attacks..
BEC63E65F82EF793A1691333FBF0479AA13B96BF
and what does he leave behind after destroying me? (which fortunately only conquers one tile and cannot kill my character)

Well...
Oh, the best weapon in the game? A pistol?! THE COLT!?

Ok, maybe not the best weapon, but it's definitely up there. All of the blue-aura weapons are uniques, immensely more powerful than similar-tiered weaponry. (An equivalent-skill tier pistol deals about half the damage and has dramatically worse accuracy. I don't know that the skill tiers go high enough to match The Colt.) It is a godsend that hands that campaign mission over to me--a particularly challenging one, too.

You can practically feel the power of The Colt in your hands. To go from wasting a clip on one zombie, to one-shotting them, is a glorious feeling. Suddenly you're fending off whole hordes alone, virtually untouchable thanks to the power of The Colt.

Emerge is pretty cool y'all.
I'm honestly not trying to be snarky here when I say: There are no good dinosaur games on Steam (unless you like the classic Turok games).

It's a huge gap in the market that Ark has gotten great success off of, but I don't consider Ark to be a very good game.

The closest thing that only tangentially relates would be Transformers Fall of Cybertron, where you can play as some Dinobots. Far Cry Primal has prehistoric humans and mammals, but no actual dinosaurs.

What a shame.

Divinity: Original Sin 2, though.

I kinda want to get Guilty Gear but I never know which one is the most recent or up to date. I think it is Xrd Revelator... except Rev 2 is on PS4 already? What the fuck? And Rev2 apparently has all DLC from Rev 1...

edit: no wait, I see rev 2 on Steam, now. I couldn't find it earlier. What a mess these names are.
edit 2: Wait, are PC owners charged more for nothing? seen this on the wiki:

"If the owner bought -REVELATOR- but did not purchase these characters, they will be included in the paid REV 2 Update DLC in the PlayStation Store."

but the Steam page says
"*This upgrade pack does NOT include -REVELATOR- DLCs. (Dizzy, Kum Haehyun and Raven are not included in this upgrade.)" Ugh.

I recommend changing the default sensitivity in CSGO and adjusting it down (I think the default was 6 when i started playing?) This is way too high. Somewhere between 1 and 3 is recommended.

This depends entirely on your mouse DPI as well of course, but if it's 400dpi then yeah, between 1-3 is probably good. Generally it should be WAY lower than you think it should be. I'm running 400 dpi at 1.7 in game sense.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Steam Inventory Helper is incredible, I used Idle Master to get around 200 cards which would have taken forever to list, but SIH lets you mass sell, I was done in a minute!

So far I've picked up Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) and Hollow Knight. Both have been very fun. The platforming in Ori is amazing. Hollow Knight has some fun right now, and I'm hoping it presents some more challenging boss fights soon.

"If the owner bought -REVELATOR- but did not purchase these characters, they will be included in the paid REV 2 Update DLC in the PlayStation Store."

but the Steam page says
"*This upgrade pack does NOT include -REVELATOR- DLCs. (Dizzy, Kum Haehyun and Raven are not included in this upgrade.)" Ugh.
Naw, that wiki is erroneous. The PSN REV 2 Update also doesn't include those characters.

LogicStep

How are the Metro games? I have the original and it was a bit rough getting into it.. Redux seems to have fixed some stuff? I never played Last Light.

First time I've had a decent job during a Steam sale, so even if the deals weren't great I bought a ton.

Sniper Elite 4
Witcher 3 GOTY
The Surge
Hollow Knight
Salt and Sanctuary
Mankind Divided DLC
Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Black Flag
Various games from the gems thread.

Can't think of anything else important I should be getting for $30 or else.

LogicStep

First time I've had a decent job during a Steam sale, so even if the deals weren't great I bought a ton.

Sniper Elite 4
Witcher 3 GOTY
The Surge
Hollow Knight
Salt and Sanctuary
Mankind Divided DLC
Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Black Flag
Various games from the gems thread.

Can't think of anything else important I should be getting for $30 or else.

If you're interested in Prey, get it. It's $10 more than what you're looking for but it's so worth it. From all the games I bought this sale it's the one taking all of my time.

Buckle

Been looking for something like Rogue Legacy for a long time, Dead Cells seem like the closest I've seen in awhile.

Tempted to buy it but always wary of early access. Not becuase the game is bad (there are enough positive reviews to convince me otherwise) but I have a hard time getting into half finished games.

Hitting roadblocks/story suddenly ending, missing features, etc.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Been looking for something like Rogue Legacy for a long time, Dead Cells seem like the closest I've seen in awhile.

Tempted to buy it but always wary of early access. Not becuase the game is bad (there are enough positive reviews to convince me otherwise) but I have a hard time getting into half finished games.

Hitting roadblocks/story suddenly ending, missing features, etc.

Aside from the game having only a midboss and a final boss, it feels relatively complete. There isn't really a story to feel unfinished, nor are there paths that dead end. I've spent like 30 hours in it already, and although I'm taking a break from it at the moment, I look forward to exploring the next update. For what it's worth, the gameplay is massively better than Rogue Legacy IMO, and the meta layer is comparable, I think, though it's been forever since I played RL.

If you're interested in Prey, get it. It's $10 more than what you're looking for but it's so worth it. From all the games I bought this sale it's the one taking all of my time.

People say that but I'm really not sure. I don't see how I'll get the same kind of play out of it as I do with Dishonored 2. How is the shooting? Do the RPG elements allow for a lot of variety or replay?

People say that but I'm really not sure. I don't see how I'll get the same kind of play out of it as I do with Dishonored 2. How is the shooting? Do the RPG elements allow for a lot of variety or replay?

To give you a really vague idea: there are two achievements in the game specifically regarding playstyle. One is for finishing two playthroughs, each using a different half of the powers available to you (which are quite different for a reason that is technically a light spoiler), and the other is for finishing the game with NO powers. That's three fairly different ways to play, if you so desire. There's a few more relating to morality, if you're not just talking about gameplay.

It's one of the best immersive sim in years. I'd argue you have more mechanical freedom than in any of the new Deus Ex's. The way you have the freedom to combine and use powers in unique ways in Dishonored, your means of exploring and fighting or bypassing enemies in Prey feels similar.

How's X-Com: Enemy Within?

It's the only DLC I don't have for the first game and I'm about to start a new playthrough...

I think it integrats to the main campaign so if I do get it I should install it before starting the campaign?

It's funny... I bought it early in the sale and played a bit... Really didn't like it and ended up refunding it to get Dead Cells instead (which I realllly love).

Then I had a bit of remorse and after watching some Hollow Knights streams I ended up re-buying it and now I got hooked and finished the first zone last night... Great game.
Enemy Within makes Enemy Unknown much better and I loved the base

The meld helps combat over watch crawl but not in an obnoxious way like xcom 2 timers and the mechs are great. Because of the mechs though the game does get a bit easier overall so consider bumping up the difficulty.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from the game having only a midboss and a final boss, it feels relatively complete. There isn't really a story to feel unfinished, nor are there paths that dead end. I've spent like 30 hours in it already, and although I'm taking a break from it at the moment, I look forward to exploring the next update. For what it's worth, the gameplay is massively better than Rogue Legacy IMO, and the meta layer is comparable, I think, though it's been forever since I played RL.

I couldn't get into RL at all because of the way the leveling up was designed around grinding up your stats between runs. How does Dead Cells compare? Do you hit a ceiling in a run because you haven't leveled up your character enough?

So I'm playing Emerge, and I try a run with a pistol. I discovered that they suck--their accuracy and damage is garbage, and they need extra skills to actually kill anything reliably. (Dangerous Shot or w/e, which makes the final shot in a clip deal exrta damage and pierce armour.) Stacked with an extra-damage headshot skill, the killing power gets respectable. But before I can even try this, I am absolutely crushed at every turn and end up losing the game. I vow never to use pistols again.

Fast forward to my next match, mere turns into the game. I come across an event where suddenly the Hulk attacks..

and what does he leave behind after destroying me? (which fortunately only conquers one tile and cannot kill my character)

Well...

Oh, the best weapon in the game? A pistol?! THE COLT!?

Ok, maybe not the best weapon, but it's definitely up there. All of the blue-aura weapons are uniques, immensely more powerful than similar-tiered weaponry. (An equivalent-skill tier pistol deals about half the damage and has dramatically worse accuracy. I don't know that the skill tiers go high enough to match The Colt.) It is a godsend that hands that campaign mission over to me--a particularly challenging one, too.

You can practically feel the power of The Colt in your hands. To go from wasting a clip on one zombie, to one-shotting them, is a glorious feeling. Suddenly you're fending off whole hordes alone, virtually untouchable thanks to the power of The Colt.

Emerge is pretty cool y'all.

Divinity: Original Sin 2, though.

I haven't quite sussed the tactics yet. I think I'm expanding too fast, whenever there is enough infrastructure to take another block, and I end up trying to defend too much with not enough turrets/defence.

I get to about 10-12 blocks and everything goes wrong.

SUPERHOT VR is on some next level shit, it's about as close to a Matrix game as we are gonna get anytime soon. The non-VR version didn't click with me as much as it did with others but the VR version is so good and plays so well.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
i'm trying to decide if i'll get diaries of a spaceport janitor or steamworld dig with my left over pennies

hmm

that mecha game someone posted before also looked kind of interesting

kinda tempted to buy front mission evolved but i don't want to be part of the problem

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor is beautiful and atmospheric, but I have no idea how to finish it. The sound design is probably the best thing about it.

Taking overall fun, game design and value for money into consideration, which of the following would be the best pick-up?

• Hollow Knight (£7.25)
  • Salt & Sanctuary (£8.15)
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (£7.49)
  • Dead Cells (£11.89)
I'm leaning towards Hollow Knight or Ori but to be honest, that's mostly because I have £7.58 sitting in my Steam wallet...

Tizoc

I kinda want to get Guilty Gear but I never know which one is the most recent or up to date. I think it is Xrd Revelator... except Rev 2 is on PS4 already? What the fuck? And Rev2 apparently has all DLC from Rev 1...

edit: no wait, I see rev 2 on Steam, now. I couldn't find it earlier. What a mess these names are.

but the Steam page says

You want Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, which would consist of
GG Xrd Revelator+Rev 2 DLC

So what you want is the $45 or $60 bundle from this page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/520440/GUILTY_GEAR_Xrd_REVELATOR/

If you already own REVELATOR, just get the Rev 2 upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom