• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmondD

That thread with everyone spunking over Baldurs Gate 2 got me in the mood for classic PC games. Can I get some recommendations?

Got BG2 and maybe Planetscape Torment in mind so far. Will probably get Quake too.

Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis, Star Wars Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Divine Divinity.

I'm currently playing Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and while it's indeed a good game, sometimes it can be so incredibly annoying and frustrating that i'm almost giving up and don't want to play it anymore. Mainly because of this goddamn checkpoint save system, sometimes i was forced to redo huge chunks of level only because i jumped at wrong angle and Lara didn't grabbed right ledge and died. Peru levels was perfect, Greece part started to annoy me sometimes, but Egypt is some next level of bullshit. I know I'm really close to end, but damn, it's so hard to go back and play it!

sqwarlock

First big haul of the sale, and I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger. Someone stop me from spending so much.

rZ8400o.png

Wok

Since there has been some discussion and recommendations of rogue-like/lite games, such as Unexplored, I have produced a ranking of "hidden gems" with these tags:

To compute this ranking, I have modified the little piece of Python code which I had written to try to automatically find hidden gems. I don't have a way to optimize the free parameter, so I have just used the same value as for my previous (tag-unconstrained) ranking.

If there is a good example of a hidden gem with any of the "rogue" tag, and there is a consensus that it is both hidden and a gem, I could try compute a better ranking.

Alright Steam wins, I picked up Darkest Dungeon finally. Will I like this game? The only turn based strategy games that I play are the modern XCOM games.

GRaider81

Tyranny or Pillars of Eternity? Looking for the more beginner friendly CRPG.

As you see most will say PoE and i do understand why, essentially its meatier and more complex.

However I found the story pretty boring. Tyranny is much shorter and a bit easier to play. I also found the story more interesting.

In short i played Tyranny through twice for the endings and i've yet to finish PoE.

I think as a beginner friendly game Tyranny is the better bet though its not necessarily the better game

Currently playing through Candle, which is a very, very good game which I highly recommend if the combination of a cinematic platformer and P&C-style inventory puzzles sounds at all appealing. It's sometimes too old-school for its own good (there are a few too many hidden passages, interact-able objects, and interactions that would be extremely difficult to find except by luck or a walkthrough), but it's consistently charming, fun to play, and absolutely gorgeous.

AHA-Lambda

Yeesh, there are a lot of sections of the new Danganronpa game that are very very dodgy :-/

What's so good about Xanadu Next? Combat seems like diablo

I've kind a wondered this myself actually. Last year(?) Steamgaf went crazy for it and yet I've barely seen anyone else anywhere ever even mention the game

Fou-Lu

Beat both Inside and What Remains of Edith Finch now. Both incredible experiences and I am very glad I bought them. I think I'll probably do Firewatch next.

zkylon

zkylewd

Tomasety

Since there has been some discussion and recommendations of rogue-like/lite games, such as Unexplored, I have produced a ranking of "hidden gems" with these tags:

To compute this ranking, I have modified the little piece of Python code which I had written to try to automatically find hidden gems. I don't have a way to optimize the free parameter, so I have just used the same value as for my previous (tag-unconstrained) ranking.

If there is a good example of a hidden gem with any of the "rogue" tag, and there is a consensus that it is both hidden and a gem, I could try compute a better ranking.

I have a couple of games with those requirements in mind:

- MidBoss
- ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
- KeeperRL
- Vagante

What do you think about those Wok?

my first big Steam haul!

Transformers: War for Cybertron $4.99

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition $3.99

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Bundle $17.49

TRANSFORMERS: Devastation $9.99

TRANSFORMERS: Devastation DLC Bundle $3.99

DRAGON QUEST HEROES™ II Explorer's Edition $40.19

Total: $80.64

Not bad at all.

CHC

Guys I got to reiterate on how good Hollow Knight is. The value alone is insane - I'm 35
hours deep and still haven't finished it, let alone gotten 100%. It's so deep and massive and detailed and full of life and passion. Commitment wise it really is like a full on Souls game... just be warned, the game is extremely difficult!

Definitely my best purchase for a while.

Megasoum

Banned
How's X-Com: Enemy Within?

It's the only DLC I don't have for the first game and I'm about to start a new playthrough...

I think it integrats to the main campaign so if I do get it I should install it before starting the campaign?

Guys I got to reiterate on how good Hollow Knight is. The value alone is insane - I'm 35
hours deep and still haven't finished it, let alone gotten 100%. It's so deep and massive and detailed and full of life and passion. Commitment wise it really is like a full on Souls game... just be warned, the game is extremely difficult!

It's funny... I bought it early in the sale and played a bit... Really didn't like it and ended up refunding it to get Dead Cells instead (which I realllly love).

Then I had a bit of remorse and after watching some Hollow Knights streams I ended up re-buying it and now I got hooked and finished the first zone last night... Great game.

Is Disgaea PC likely to be able to run on a potato if I turn the settings down?

How about Darkest Dungeon? Want both but might wait until I get a better laptop if they won't run very well.

McBryBry

Looking for recommendations on two kinds of games.

1) A good dinosaur game. What is the best game on steam involving dinosaurs? I've enjoyed Dino Crisis, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, Turok in the past.

2) Games like Alan Wake. Specifically the small town feel that it has. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same Stephen King esque stuff but that's a plus.

I want in so bad but I'm waiting on the Switch version. I'm itching for something new on there and it looks perfect.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cube Runner -- MB-C264357359EC0FFC - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

Of all the games I got this sale, Hacknet is emerging as my favorite. It combines intense hacking puzzles with a well-written and interesting interactive fiction angle as you probe the files and systems of different computers.

Got the expansion as well. From what I've read, it's about as long as the main game and adds a bunch of new tools and such to use, as well as some really cool missions

header.jpg

header.jpg

Wok

I have a couple of games with those requirements in mind:

- MidBoss
- ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
- KeeperRL
- Vagante

What do you think about those Wok?

Thanks, I have used the 4 examples which you have provided. This is the result:

To do so, I had to modify the script so that the ranking could be calibrated with several examples of "hidden gems" instead of just one. Since the optimization procedure which I am using minimizes a scalar objective function, I had to summarize the info for these 4 games into 1 number, so have tried to minimize the average of the ranks of the examples of "hidden gems".

Thanks, I have used the 4 examples which you have provided. This is the result:

To do so, I had to modify the script so that the ranking could be calibrated with several examples of "hidden gems" instead of just one. Since the optimization procedure which I am using minimizes a scalar objective function, I have tried to minimize the average of the ranks of the examples of "hidden gems".
Unreal World, Monolith, Caves of Qud, and Unexplored all have the More_Badass stamp of approval. They're all great in their own ways

I really disliked the combat in Tyranny, cool downs just made it spam city and there were very few challenging or memorable encounters on hard.

Teeth

Looking for recommendations on two kinds of games.

1) A good dinosaur game. What is the best game on steam involving dinosaurs? I've enjoyed Dino Crisis, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, Turok in the past.

I'm honestly not trying to be snarky here when I say: There are no good dinosaur games on Steam (unless you like the classic Turok games).

It's a huge gap in the market that Ark has gotten great success off of, but I don't consider Ark to be a very good game.

The closest thing that only tangentially relates would be Transformers Fall of Cybertron, where you can play as some Dinobots. Far Cry Primal has prehistoric humans and mammals, but no actual dinosaurs.

What a shame.

Wok

Unreal World, Monolith, Caves of Qud, and Unexplored all have the More_Badass stamp of approval. They're all great in their own ways

Ah, cool! 😇 Maybe this tool could be used to broaden recommendations of "hidden gems": one would feed it with examples, in a particular genre, or in general, and the tool would rank all Steam games accordingly. In the original version, I have only used "Contradiction" to rank every Steam game, and here I have used 4 games to rank every Steam game which is tagged as "rogue".

Freeman76

Of all the games I got this sale, Hacknet is emerging as my favorite. It combines intense hacking puzzles with a well-written and interesting interactive fiction angle as you probe the files and systems of different computers.

Got the expansion as well. From what I've read, it's about as long as the main game and adds a bunch of new tools and such to use, as well as some really cool missions

header.jpg

header.jpg

Looks good

The Black Watchmen is very similar but was a little too cryptic

Grief.exe

Resident Evil 6 is still not at what I would define as a reasonable price for its age.

Capcom is notoriously bad about lowering prices.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Has anyone been talking about this? The red gradient below the Summer Sale banner has been getting more visible each day. It's subtle, but it's definitely noticeable right now. You can compare how it was in previous days using Wayback Machine.

What could it mean!?
Nothing, probably.

Erheller

What's so good about Xanadu Next? Combat seems like diablo

Yeesh, there are a lot of sections of the new Danganronpa game that are very very dodgy :-/

I've kind a wondered this myself actually. Last year(?) Steamgaf went crazy for it and yet I've barely seen anyone else anywhere ever even mention the game

1) It's a 2000's Falcom game, and 2000's Falcom games are amazing
2) I've barely played any diablo/diablo-likes, so I can't really comment on the similarities there. But what Xanadu Next does the best is its level and encounter design. I hate to use a Dark Souls comparison, but all of the areas are interconnected like in Dark Souls 1. Exploring new areas is a blast, since each dungeon is cleverly designed. Sometimes you'll find new shortcuts to other areas; sometimes you'll leave an area half unexplored, and come back to it 3 hours later to finish the other half. Creating a map of all of the different areas and how they connect is really rewarding.
3) The game is just really fun to play. It's a pretty simple combat system, but it's got a good amount of depth and feels really satisfying. You do more damage by attacking enemies from the back, so positioning is key in this game. Against slower enemies you can just dodge their attacks and circle around to their back, but against faster enemies you have to be more creative (use magic, arts, etc.). It's never a brainless mashing game unless you're horrendously overlevelled.
4) The mechanics are really deep and satisfying.
- You get new weapons, and they each have a different weapon art that they can unlock. Use the weapon enough, and you get to use that skill on every weapon.
- Levelling is really cool. Each level, you can distribute stat points to each of your stats. Equipment requires stat points to wield. But you can "respec" at any time by delevelling - you lose a level every time you delevel, but you regain the stat points you lost, and it requires 50% the experience you'd usually need to get back to the level you were at. This makes it really easy to try out different styles of playing without locking yourself into a single build all game.
5) That Falcom soundtrack

How's X-Com: Enemy Within?

It's the only DLC I don't have for the first game and I'm about to start a new playthrough...

I think it integrats to the main campaign so if I do get it I should install it before starting the campaign?

Enemy Within is a great piece of DLC, adding new missions, new enemies, and the ability to punch sectoids through walls with mechs. Do install it before you do a new campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom