• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

So I kinda feel like playing a Metroidvania...

I bought Hollow Knight but it's not really for me so I just put in for a refund...

Ori looks super beautiful but I'm not really good at twitchy platformers...

At this point I'm almost tempted of buying Axiom Verge even if I already have it on PS4 and almost finished it already...

Is axiom verge that good? I had it in my basket yesterday but took it out...

Just noticed Shadow Warrior is 90% off. Worth it? Or would I be better off just getting Doom?

Megasoum

Banned

Just noticed Shadow Warrior is 90% off. Worth it? Or would I be better off just getting Doom?

Well I liked it but, like I said, I never actually finished it so......lol

Dr.Acula

Banned

Does Shadow Warrior still come with the Shadow Warrior edition of Viscera Cleanup Detail? If so, then yes.

Axiom Verge is really, really great.

Doom is better than Shadow Warrior, in my opinion. But Shadow Warrior is no slouch, fun game.

Althane

Has anyone played Diluvion? Any impressions if so?

Also any thoughts on The Technomancer?

I actually bought and played The Technomancer last time it was on sale. Let me go check my hours on it.

Okay, so it took me 14 hours to be at it, with exactly 50% of achievements done. I'd estimate that probably represents 80-90% of game content.

In terms of gameplay, it's an ARPG, "Press X to attack, Y to area attack, LT to dodge..", you get the idea. No major complaints about the gameplay, although I found that just using the staff and spamming Y to interrupt people was pretty successful for 95% of all the battles.

Story-wise, it's nothing special. A decent enough "post-apocalyptic" story set on Mars. Shit's gone to hell, but hopefully Earth will rescue us, etc. Characters are okay, I remember about half the party fairly well, so not bad for a game I played a few months ago.

Overall, I'd call it a solid 7/10. Worth $9? Probably, if you've got no major ARPGs in your backlog.

I feel differently about it. Combat is boring, you get like 8 different weapons but there's really not much of a reason to use more than 2 or 3 of them, enemy variety is small, and the boss fights aren't very good. The most interesting part is figuring out how to get to certain areas, but Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night it is not. It's closer to Metroid 1.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I liked Shadow Warrior from what I played of it; for cheap, it's not bad at all.

Well, it starts and runs without any config changes, any DirectX fiddling, compatibility mode or whatever else is recommended in the Steam forums. Apparently, the main problem on Win 10 seems to be that it crashes immediately after launching, so I assume once it runs it's good. You can always refund of course, if it doesn't work for you.

It's not demanding, I'm pretty sure I ran it on a mediocre laptop almost a decade ago.

Alright, thanks for the advice!

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

S6AKT6n.png

I think I'll sleep on these picks, and consider a few others. I'll probably take up Sam and Max, and maybe Arx Fatalis.

I picked up Hyper Light Drifter, Book of Demons, Hollow Knight, and Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure. I played Hyper Light Drifter for about two hours and I'm glad it's as fun as I thought it'd be. I hope the other three are at least as good!

Redrable

Unconfirmed Member
What XCOM type of game should I get? Xenonauts or XCOM proper? I enjoy Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles a lot.
As someone who owns and enjoys playing them both... I have to say XCOM have more content and mod support. Go straight to XCOM2; it's a straight improvement in my opinion.

I myself prefer Xenonauts but I know it's highly personal preference.

I bought black desert due to the positive word of mouth I've seen it garnering and the cheap price.. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. There's a lot of everything going on. Ahhh. Pretty combat so far.

is Doom like revered for it's pure gameplay or is there other thing like engaging narrative/character that push you to keep playing and see what happens next? because unfortunately, I never end up finishing these pure gameplay focused games. I usually like what I played until I got bored at some point and drop the game.

If you got the Double Fine Adventure videos from the Freedom bundle the deluxe upgrade is on sale for 99 cents right now, and it adds another 70+ videos.

gameplay

the story is amusing but just shading imho, nothing substantial. barely any characters even.

is the story so few that at times it feels like you're just running around shooting demons for the hell of it, or is there a purpose like I had to go to the next area to do something then some story tidbit that tell me where to go next etc?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
is the story so few that at times it feels like you're just running around shooting demons for the hell of it, or is there a purpose like I had to go to the next area to do something then some story tidbit that tell me where to go next etc?

There's always a purpose and story at the end of levels etc. Just don't expect masterful writing or anything.

rtcn63

Axiom Verge is more if you're a fan of Metroid 1. Enemies can take a lot of hits while you can't. Areas themselves aren't all that interesting.

Just started Aviary Attorney, it has charmed me. I just wish the beeps that simulate dialogue wasn't so electronic, it doesn't mesh well with the art style.

zulux21

I bought Hollow Knight but it's not really for me so I just put in for a refund...

At this point I'm almost tempted of buying Axiom Verge even if I already have it on PS4 and almost finished it already...

have you played Dust: An Elysian Tail (it's 80% off)
or Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition? (though this one has been bundled a few times)?

Izuna

Banned
DUtynTB.jpg

This game brings back SO MANY MEMORIES

super cheap too

It's an incredible aRPG

works perfectly in 4k to boot (and as far as I know, fps as high as your refresh rate)

Grief.exe

Dead Cells?

is Doom like revered for it's pure gameplay or is there other thing like engaging narrative/character that push you to keep playing and see what happens next? because unfortunately, I never end up finishing these pure gameplay focused games. I usually like what I played until I got bored at some point and drop the game.

Pure gameplay. It actually pokes fun at traditional video game narratives in the first five minutes.

GHG

Anyone here played One Dog Story?

I'm looking for a metroidvania that swings more towards the vania end of the spectrum. Already have Hollow Knight, wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at?

Oh and I have Dead Cells but I'm not counting that due to the procedural generation aspect. I want something a bit more hand crafted and deliberate.

tmarg

Anyone here played One Dog Story?

I'm looking for a metroidvania that swings more towards the vania end of the spectrum. Already have Hollow Knight, wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at?

Oh and I have Dead Cells but I'm not counting that due to the procedural generation aspect. I want something a bit more hand crafted and deliberate.

Odallus

Anyone have RPG hidden gems recommendations? I obviously know the big ones but any good small - mid ones?

Drakensang: The River of Time, any of the Spiderweb Software RPGs (especially the newer ones--Avernum or Avadon), The Last Remnant, and Expeditions: Viking or Expeditions Conquistador. Throw in Dead State if you're OK with hella jank in a game, as well.

Those are about the lowest-profile ones I can think of off-hand.
What XCOM type of game should I get? Xenonauts or XCOM proper? I enjoy Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles a lot.
XCOM 2 would be my first recommendation, but XCOM: EU with its expansion isn't bad either. The sequel improves on a lot of stuff, but is different enough that playing the first game isn't a waste of tme or anything. Also, the modding community around both are great.

Like, I'm currently playing XCOM 2 with some mods and it's the most fun I've ever had in these games. It's sooo goood.

SRTtoZ

The two games I'm looking at are Mafia 3 and Mankind Divided (I enjoyed both Mafia 1/2 and Human Revolution). Question, are they worth the asking price? Also should I get Mankind divided with or without the DLC. Thanks!

CHC

There's always a goal in Doom. I'm the same as you, I have a hard time finding motivation when there is zero narrative incentive (even if it's flimsy, I don't care). I plowed through Doom. There's also tons of secret areas to find (which is fun, thanks to the amazing 3d map screen) and special types of kills to execute for bonus upgrades.

It's just a fucking perfect game, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom