• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to hit you SteamGAF regulars with some truth here.

Lashman was the single greatest poster ever in SteamGAF.

Need proof? Here's my exploration queue:

1 friend owns this game (Lashman)
...and so on... sometimes more than one, but always him.

Steam shows me Make America Great Again the game.

No friends own this game. I rest, your honor.

CHC

what's more worth $20 and your time: Dishonored 2 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

Mankind Divided is hardly a poor choice but Dishonored II is just exceptional all the way through. Definitely go for that instead of Deus Ex, it's far more creatively built, with better variety and pacing. And also more economical with players' time - DXMD has lots of talking with bad writing, characters, and facial animations, while Dishonored II quickly hands you the reigns and never wrests them back.

zkylon

zkylewd
what's more worth $20 and your time: Dishonored 2 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?
haven't played disho2 for more than a few hours but dx mankind divided is kind of not that great

it's not bad, but it feels like an expansion pack for dxhr, not a completely new game. it's got all the good stuff from dxhr but it's also pretty disappointing since imo a deus ex game has to be a global adventure and this is not it

what i played of disho2 was ok, tho i hated the story, characters and all that stuff and it ran like absolute garbage, so i can't comment much more than that. i hear the level design is superb

i'd say but disho2, play for an hour and a half and refund it if it runs like shit. the basement at the tutorial area is actually really good at tanking your fps so try that out

is it like phoenix wright with like a bit of deduction and simple game mechanics or is it 100% visual novel?

I have not played phoenix wright so can't really compare.

You get choices throughout as you go to different places, talk to people and gather evidence. You can certainly miss things.

Then in court you have to try and find the weakness in someone's statement and present the evidence you have collected to prove your side.
Based on what I've read you can come to different outcomes of the cases depending on whether you did your job correctly or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ori DE comes with a free copy of Ori. I'm guessing JaseC can give pointers on what to do if you bought Ori first and Ori DE afterwards during this sale, if there is a way to refund Ori while keeping the DE and the free Ori copy it comes with.

I noticed the matter's already been resolved, but, yeah, refunding the DE wouldn't revoke the original release if he'd bought it separately. Refunds are licence-based, so refunding a game won't remove it from your library completely if you have another package that includes it. I have, like, five or six licences for Nosgoth as the game itself is included in the various founder packages.

zkylon

zkylewd
I have not played phoenix wright so can't really compare.

You get choices throughout as you go to different places, talk to people and gather evidence. You can certainly miss things.

Then in court you have to try and find the weakness in someone's statement and present the evidence you have collected to prove your side.
Based on what I've read you can come to different outcomes of the cases depending on whether you did your job correctly or not.

yeah that sounds like phoenix wright alright

cool!

JaseC

God fuck this sale. All it has given me is horrendously bad download speeds.

Try switching to a server in a different country. I had no trouble maxing out my connection earlier (I'm in Australia but use the Indonesian servers).

Sales! Nothing I want particularly other than some potato stuff. Also, some poop.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-3B96E4DECD7DC386 - Taken by Azull
Invasion -- MB-8A078C1704874AB7 - Taken by voodooray
Minimized -- MB-DD7850C8F8091EC9 - Taken by Nairume
ShipLord -- MB-1693F08464EBA694
Zotrix -- MB-F05837296D9D5501 - Taken by Loptous

Ascheroth

World End Economica Episode 2

Episode 1 impressions

Well, this was a major step-up from Episode 1. Production values are much better, there's better character art, much more character art, many more CGs, and soundeffects and especially music are used much more.

Same also applies for the story itself. In short, I found Episode 1 was rather mixed, it kinda meandered somewhat but picked up in the last half/third and ended in a very unexpected way.
Episode 2 starts strong and continues to be strong throughout. Especially the aftermath of episode 1 is pretty fascinating to read and is present throughout the entire game.
Of course it also ends on a cliffhanger, lol.

Well, looking forward to episode 3!

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

At the beginning it was great. New world, more Souls gameplay, all of that. After a while some of its problems became noticable. That being rather bland and easy bosses (though to be fair, that ones probably because of having played Dark Souls 1, I guess they would be difficult for new players) and mostly weak leveldesign using bonfire-teleporting as a crutch. I particulary didn't like the games fondness for multi-enemy bosses and some areas are rather weak and annoying (fuck Brightstone Cove, that shithole. Cool boss though).
But after that low that I hit in the... second quarter? of the game, it got better again. And continued to get better. The second half of the game is strong.
And then the DLC areas are fucking amazing and bring back the intricate leveldesign and have some super good bosses.

So yeah, while it is not perfect (to be fair, Dark Souls 1 had its annoying and frustrating parts as well), it still a great game.
27EDF4141F76DB9E4C5F8837A5849E9FB47AA807

About to hit you SteamGAF regulars with some truth here.

Lashman was the single greatest poster ever in SteamGAF.

Need proof? Here's my exploration queue:

...and so on... sometimes more than one, but always him.

Steam shows me Make America Great Again the game.

No friends own this game. I rest, your honor.

MGS3-Snake-Salutes-The-Boss-Grave.jpg

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
For those that have played Everspace... is it a buy at $24? Or should I pass?

I've been going back and forth on this one for 2 days now, haha. It look amazing, but the rogue-like nature of it and the level progression makes it look super repetitive :/

grmlin

I was able to play straight through no problems whatsoever until the final boss which required a few level ups first, but at that point I was enjoying the combat enough along with being able to tackle some late-game mobs that I didn't really mind. I had enough healing items saved up from not needing them during the game that I probably could have brute forced (so to speak) the final boss, but he looks very intimidating and after a bad first attempt I convinced myself I needed to grind a bit. Might not be the case for you or others at all (Plus you could probably find an OP pawn to carry you through and sidestep all that if worst comes to worst). It's a fun and unique game, go for it!

Thanks! Sounds good and I think I'll bite.

Thud

They are two completely different games. I like Hollow Knight a lot though. If you like metroidvania games at all, it is awesome. One of the better ones I've played. Fata Morgana is a lot of reading, but seems cool so far. I haven't played through it yet past the demo though

Fata Morgana now.
Hollow Knight on next sale, provided it isn't bundled in the mean time.

Haven't played HK but for the love of all that is holy, play Fata.

Don't know how good HK is, but Fata is certainly in the top 5 VNs ever made.

I'm fully serious. State-of-the-art characterization, story, music. HK would need to be a metroidvania as good as Super Metroid or SotN to compare.

FATA MORGANA

Fata Morgana is the best pure VN I've played.

Fata Morgana is my GOTY 2016 and one of my all time favorite games.

Thanks for all the reactions! I just couldn't decide, so I bought both together with Gurumin haha.

Monooboe

I have to recommend Pictopix for those of you who want more after Paint it Back. Pictopix was way meatier than I expected, so much so that I had to use guide at the later game because I could sit hours playing the game and I really needed to get back to reallife. I am little ashamed how much I've played it but now I am free.

I think the cells games strike a good ballance, they are short and cheap, perfect for me since I can get little crazy.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to keep Fallout 4, but I have to say I'm finding it very difficult to navigate, there's just a bunch of random icons that mean nothing to me. I don't know which one is which objective etc which is leading to more aimless wondering than I'd like.

Grudy

jZbCAZO.png

This is all I could find so far that interests me. I think I'll even wait on wonder until the next sales because I don't have that much time to play anyway. I am in the mood for exploring imaginative and immersive worlds so any recommendations are welcome.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I decided to keep Fallout 4, but I have to say I'm finding it very difficult to navigate, there's just a bunch of random icons that mean nothing to me. I don't know which one is which objective etc which is leading to more aimless wondering than I'd like.

You can pick which quests get icons on your map, and you can highlight the icons on the map to see which quest they're for. I think there's only ever one quest for the main questline, and the description will probably make it apparent which one it is.

xezuru

I have probably 20-21 dollars in steam cash after the fact i know im gonna be valve taxed by washington, anyone have any reccomendations.

Right now i'm feeling something, story focused, non-open world, non anime

Grief.exe

That's just Bethesda games, learn to ignore the minimap on your HUD. I believe you can highlight which icon you want to go to for your quest, but I haven't played Fallout 4.

Generally, you have to install a mod that fixes the console-centric UI in every Bethesda game after Morrowind.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was downloading fine this morning from West Coast servers.

Picked up two indie games this sale (Abzu, The Turing Test), and think I'm set. I was eyeing a few others but 1) I still have a backlog to get through, and 2) many of those games are cheaper elsewhere online. So I'm happy to wait it out and then pick those games up when/if I get through my current library.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You can pick which quests get icons on your map, and you can highlight the icons on the map to see which quest they're for. I think there's only ever one quest for the main questline, and the description will probably make it apparent which one it is.

That's just Bethesda games, learn to ignore the minimap on your HUD. I believe you can highlight which icon you want to go to for your quest, but I haven't played Fallout 4.

Generally, you have to install a mod that fixes the console-centric UI in every Bethesda game after Morrowind.

OK thanks. Also, the game is really dark, I can't see shit and there's no gamma/brightness setting in-game which bizarre. I had to do a mission to start pumps underwater and it was so frustrating doing it in pitch black. I've just closed the game to edit everything use the NVCP which isn't ideal.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nex Machina and a Steam controller is simply painful

Luckily I still have the Wii U pro controller laying around

As the Steam thread is closed for now, I will ask here:

Can you get a refund on the same game twice if you buy it again?

I bought Squad a while ago and I refunded it because it ran like dried white dogshit. Now, because I liked the game so much and in the hope the performance has been improved on high end systems I have bought it again. Obviously my play time timer is going to go over two hours and I'm worried it's not going to be any better.

Melchior

I bought Squad a while ago and I refunded it because it ran like dried white dogshit. Now, because I liked the game so much and in the hope the performance has been improved on high end systems I have bought it again. Obviously my play time timer is going to go over two hours and I'm worried it's not going to be any better.

I know a guy who bought and refunded Pulsar: Lost Colony 3 times all in 2 weeks with like 20+ hours in the game.

dakun

it's crazy how the Steam sales always make me realize how many games i already own but never played.

I see many games where I'm like "yeah i'll buy this one" only to see "... is in your Steam Library" message.

I wonder how much money i would've saved if i didn't impulse buy so many games during sales and just waited until i actually played them at their lowest price on a sale.

JaseC

Yeah. Time played in Offline Mode currently doesn't count against the two-hour window, if that's an option.

Put $100 in anticipation for the sale. Have yet to pick up anything other than some Arma 3 DLC. Nothing is really grabbing my attention. Wish the Ghost Recons Wildlands DLC was on sale. I'd bet my money will just sit their until a new game release.

atpbx

There's loads of indie games I play and enjoy but my queue was getting full of trash so it had to be done.
Besides if there's a good indie game I'll hear about it from GAF

I am the same with this, there are loads of good indie games, but you have to wade through unimaginable mountains of shit to find them if you were just going through your cue.

Put $100 in anticipation for the sale. Have yet to pick up anything other than some Arma 3 DLC. Nothing is really grabbing my attention. Wish the Ghost Recons Wildlands DLC was on sale. I'd bet my money will just sit their until a new game release.

Prey?

...You can consider giving The House In Fata Morgana a try (it hits HARD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom