• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Time played in Offline Mode currently doesn't count against the two-hour window, if that's an option.

So you can just buy any game you want, turn off steam, beat the game and return for a full price? (I am obviously not doing this but I am sure people do if it is possible)

Has anyone here played PAMELA? It made a good impression in it's reveal, like it was a new System Shock, and then nothing. Did Prey eat its lunch?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So you can just buy any game you want, turn off steam, beat the game and return for a full price? (I am obviously not doing this but I am sure people do if it is possible)

Yeah, but if Valve caught on, then you'd likely find yourself blacklisted. The risk isn't worth it, especially as you're essentially pirating the game and could instead just download a cracked copy.

Nzyme32

Really tempted to get the Civ VI / XCOM 2 bundle for $42, but I've heard mixed things about both. Are they worth the time investment?

I think both are amazing - Xcom 2 in particular.

Civ VI is very different in how it plays vs Civ V, so some folks hate that, I don't mind at all. Lots of tweaks now and then. As usual an expansion is where it will see the biggest improvements.

Xcom 2 is awesome, some people claim performance issues but I have had no such problems. Some people hate some of the difficulty of the game - but that is the entire point. Some people further hate one of the dlc with expands upon this - again I love this

Xcom 2 was probably one of my favourite games of that year and remains so

I haven't kept up with Ubisoft's Season Pass/DLC situation, so I've got some questions in regard to the Assassin's Creed games (Black Flag DLC forward).

1. Any of the DLC worth it?
2. Does buying the base game and then the season pass get you all the content, or do you have to buy the Gold editions to get all of the content?
3. I've only played the mainline games up through Black Flag (none of the side stuff like Freedom Cry, etc.). What's the most cost-effective way to get up-to-speed?

The games so rarely go on sale on Steam that I'm debating getting them now, or waiting until the Winter sale and hoping for something a bit deeper than 50% off.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, but if Valve caught on, then you'd likely find yourself blacklisted. The risk isn't worth it, especially as you're essentially pirating the game and could instead just download a cracked copy.

idk i'm sure you'd find people here that would justify it somehow lol

Really tempted to get the Civ VI / XCOM 2 bundle for $42, but I've heard mixed things about both. Are they worth the time investment?

Both are brilliant. A great price for two recent gigants in the strategy genre.

Neither game is perfect, but the opinions about them aren't anymore mixed then you would find for any other title.

venomenon

Which final fantasy games would y'all recommend if I've only played 7 and 15?
6, 8 and 9 should be mandatory IMO. As far as I know, 6's port is sub-par unfortunately, the other two should be fine.
I like 4 too but compared to later titles it feels somewhat simplistic.

There will never be a consensus on this, of course.

jholmes

Which final fantasy games would y'all recommend if I've only played 7 and 15?

I would second FFX, FFVI might be the best in the series but I can't condone that port. FFIV is OK on Steam but probably not the third game in the series to play.

Not an FF game but I Am Setsuna is worth a look.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's finally 50% off.

d7d35f36106f7c32e2b11371d89342af.png

I keep thinking about picking up RE7 but I've got a couple of questions and this seems like a good place to ask. I played the beginning demo back when it came out and I remember thinking that it seemed really jumpscare heavy, but the jumpscares felt really predictable and they also came so frequently that it disrupted any tension that the game was building. Is the full game really heavy on jumpscares?

The other question I have is does the game rely on a lot of chase/hide sequences? I don't mind these sequences when used in moderation but when a game uses them frequently I end up finding them really tedious.

dKwDBaL.jpg

So, 21 games for $64 and change. (Black Mirror bundle is 3 games.) Not bad.

I'm most excited for Tennis Elbow, Mount and Blade, Kingdoms, The Pinball Arcade season 4 Pro pack, and Tomb Raider The Last Revelation (Believe it or not. I have it on PS1, but never played more than a bit of it, and I've always loved the old-school TR franchise. 1,2 & 3 were all excellent imo. I don't have a physical version of Chronicles, so that's nice too.)

News Tycoon was a bonus thrown in with the Kingdoms bundle, and I don't have any real interest in it, but it only added a few more cents, so I figured, why not? Other than News Tycoon though, I'm really looking forward to everything I picked up. Maybe I'll get around to most of them one day. ;P

I've never had any problem finding (what I consider to be) good deals on steam sales, despite all the moaning from many, but I do have to acknowledge that my tastes are quite eclectic and span many eras of gaming, so it probably makes it easier for me to be satisfied.

I keep thinking about picking up RE7 but I've got a couple of questions and this seems like a good place to ask. I played the beginning demo back when it came out and I remember thinking that it seemed really jumpscare heavy, but the jumpscares felt really predictable and they also came so frequently that it disrupted any tension that the game was building. Is the full game really heavy on jumpscares?

The other question I have is does the game rely on a lot of chase/hide sequences? I don't mind these sequences when used in moderation but when a game uses them frequently I end up finding them really tedious.

Theres a couple of jump scares, most of them are at the beginning.

Also no, the chase and hiding stuff is pretty minimal. Pretty much only in the starting area as well.

Dusk Golem

Full games not full of jumpscares but doesn't have zero either, but the more surprising thing is there's a lot of situations where if the right things fall into place something can or cannot happen, IE, some events that may seem scripted actually aren't and they will not happen to you on all or sometimes even most playthroughs, scenes that will only occur if a few variables in the game adds up and it occurs. I don't want to say more not to spoil it, but I'll say one way RE7 surprised me is a lot of 'scripted' moments aren't as scripted as you might think they are or going through the game a second time you may experience things you never did your first time through.

Now for something about RE7 that surprised many, chasing and hiding isn't actually a big part of the game. It's a bit front-loaded with this, as in there's literally no hiding or anything in the second half of the game. In fact, the sequences where you hide only take up maybe 5-10% of the whole game. I and many others wish there was actually more, since it was surprisingly well done in RE7's case (it helps you're not defenseless and the game has some fun mechanics around the hiding and chasing actually).

Dyna

I spent a long time looking at my wishlist and the store in general to find games I'd actually want to play right now and I ended up buying Detention and Thumper. Played three levels of Thumper and it feels really fucking good, I can see why they described it as a "rhythm violence" game - it's exactly that. I'm really curious about Detention, seems like a very interesting horror game. Going to give that one a try tomorrow.

I'm sort of itching to play a 3D platformer, any suggestions? I noticed the first Ty the Tasmanian Tiger game is on sale for about 10€ and a game called Skylar & Plux: Adventure on Clover Island caught my eye but that doesn't appear to be on sale at all.

XCOM 2 is great, provided you can run it OK. It is an improvement over XCOM: EU and an absolute blast to play. Also, Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift are nice additions, in terms of DLC. If you like XCOM, you'll love XCOM 2; just note that it is very much a sequel, and it's quite a bit harder in the beginning than XCOM 1 (until you adapt to how things work).

But, I haven't played Civ6, unfortunately.

Dusk Golem

I've been browsing a lot of Steam Tags currently related to things I'm interested in, and the fucking episodic tag being littered by anime is the dumbest shit.

I don't dislike anime, but of course a televised series is episodic. Should just put a TV tag or something rather than episodic. This tag is just FULL of anime.

Theres a couple of jump scares, most of them are at the beginning.

Also no, the chase and hiding stuff is pretty minimal. Pretty much only in the starting area as well.

Full games not full of jumpscares but doesn't have zero either, but the more surprising thing is there's a lot of situations where if the right things fall into place something can or cannot happen, IE, some events that may seem scripted actually aren't and they will not happen to you on all or sometimes even most playthroughs, scenes that will only occur if a few variables in the game adds up and it occurs. I don't want to say more not to spoil it, but I'll say one way RE7 surprised me is a lot of 'scripted' moments aren't as scripted as you might think they are or going through the game a second time you may experience things you never did your first time through.

Now for something about RE7 that surprised many, chasing and hiding isn't actually a big part of the game. It's a bit front-loaded with this, as in there's literally no hiding or anything in the second half of the game. In fact, the sequences where you hide only take up maybe 5-10% of the whole game. I and many others wish there was actually more, since it was surprisingly well done in RE7's case (it helps you're not defenseless and the game has some fun mechanics around the hiding and chasing actually).

Sounds good, I was leaning towards picking it up regardless but it sounds like my biggest concerns won't actually be an issue.

Cheers.

Pakkidis

I've had this in every OS. You need to kill every task that has steam in it and try launching again.

nope didn't work, tried going into safe mode, changing compatibility, administrator rights..nothing seems to be working. This problem only started happening in the last week or so but now steam will not open no matter what I do.

zkylon

zkylewd
8b3nm3r.png

i appreciate the intent but.... whoof

i'm confused about the stickers

i can't even move them or anything?

i wanted to do stuff to 2b

StereoVsn

Both are brilliant. A great price for two recent gigants in the strategy genre.

Neither game is perfect, but the opinions about them aren't anymore mixed then you would find for any other title.
I dunno about Civ but I feel that usually Civ games get good after an expansion or two. Xcom 2 I liked less then Xcom 1 mainly due to the theme difference.

How do you gaffers feel about Dying Light? Is the expansion necessary?

tioslash

Finally ended up buying Hitman after some consideration. Did I lose much content because I got the game late? I´ve read about content that was released as the episodes were being released (such as elusive targets) ?

StereoVsn

Finally ended up buying Hitman after some consideration. Did I lose much content because I got the game late? I´ve read about content that was released as the episodes were being released (such as elusive targets) ?
Yes, some targets are not there any more. However, there is a ton of content anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
i can't move them. the box with the delete icon is there but i try to drag that box around and nothing happens

also 2b is missing a chunk of her leg for some reason

7vy1Yvs.png

the elusive targets are fun but they're not something to be too upset about, don't worry about it, you're still getting 95% of the content in the game

i think there's a dlc mission that doesn't come in the full season or something, check that out if u want the most complete hitman you can get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom