• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I already own Thief: Deadly Shadows twice but I know I'm never gonna play it unless it's on Steam, so I bought it yet again. I feel shame.

Ketch

Damage so far:

- Amnesia: The Dark Descent........ $4.99
- Trine 1+2.................................. $9.99
- Knights of the Old Republic......... $2.49
- LIMBO...................................... $2.49
- Bastion..................................... $3.74

Also looking at Cave Story, From Dust, VVVVVV, Torchlight, and Super Meat Boy. Anyone have anything to talk me into buying these? Cave Story looks similar to Metroid, VVVVVV looks interesting, Torchlight looks like a pretty Diablo, and SMB looks like it'll make me rage. Hesitant to pull the trigger on these, but a lot of people cream their panties and recommend them.

VVVVVV and SMB are worth it for the sound tracks a lone. Cave Story can be had for free from the devs website I'm pretty sure... I would wait for Torchlight 2 unless you really want a game that runs great on a crappy laptop.

HoosTrax

Can I buy the SR3 season pass today on Steam, then buy the actual SR3 game from Amazon tomorrow? No discount on the season pass from Amazon ($13.39).

Katoki

Man's that's a total bummer. Probably wouldn't have bought it if I had know that going in.

It wasn't so bad for me because I already had to make an account for that Kingdoms of Amalur / Mass Effect 3 promotion they had going for weapons between the two games.

xJavonta

Banned
I've done a marvelous job so far of spending $0 on the Steam sale!

Own everything from previous sales T.T
Haha same! But that's because I currently don't have a job and I really can't afford to splurge on a Steam sale. That may end now though since NFS and Dead Space 2 are on sale.

How is NFS: Hot Pursuit? I've been itching for another good racing game after Driver, but I don't want to spend more than $5.

atomico

Can I buy the SR3 season pass today on Steam, then buy the actual SR3 game from Amazon tomorrow? No discount on the season pass from Amazon ($13.39).

I think you have to register a THQ account (think Rockstar Club) for the game, so you probably have to redeem the DLC code there. It shouldn't matter where you bought it.

Phreaker

First sake where I've sat back and thought "this is a poor sale." can only assume I've reached the game equivalent of peak oil.

For me it has been great. Main reason being I just recently built a new gaming PC after being on consoles this whole generation.

justjim89

Went ahead and bought Thief 2 and 3. Looking forward to trying them. Thief is about the only famous stealth franchise I have no experience with. What's this about mods/fixes needed to play on decent resolutions on a windows 7 64 bit system?

Danielsan

It wasn't so bad for me because I already had to make an account for that Kingdoms of Amalur / Mass Effect 3 promotion they had going for weapons between the two games.
I also already had an EA account, but the fact that it doesn't pull autolog highscores from people on your Steam friendslist is really depressing.

Which Stalker should I buy? Are they related in any way? I was thinking of going with Call of Pripyat since it's the newest. And is it scary? I feel like scaring myself.

Katoki

How is NFS: Hot Pursuit? I've been itching for another good racing game after Driver, but I don't want to spend more than $5.

No customization, just pick a car and a color and go. It's really fun for what it's worth as the "drifting" is kind of satisfying when you get the hang of it. I play on a controller so I can't speak for KBM. Smashing cop cars is it's own thing, but I don't care much for it and they have this crazy rubberband effect going. They will catch up to you in a few seconds even when you turn them 180 and stop them and are still going really fast. Haven't started on the cop side yet, the cars are all painted black and white and all that..

TL;DR: Arcadey, nice cars + no customization but color choice, cops rubberband back quick.

Noema

Anyone interested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC should take the plunge now that's dirt cheap.

The best way to describe it is this: it's a survival simulator. It's not for everyone, but it's a game everyone should experience. I liken it to the Souls games; not be because they are anything like the Souls series in terms of design, mechanics or aesthetics; rather because they have an inherent hostility that is always a part of the environment, and because both respect the player as a rational agent and trust him/ her to overcome the challenges the game throws out. And like the Souls series, the game will punish you for being reckless, and it will reward you for being deliberate, methodical and observant in your approach.

It does differ from the Soul series in that, unlike the former, which are polished to perfection and lovingly hand-crafted to the last delicious detail, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is kind of rough. It's actually quite rough, and if you are familiar with the term "Euro-jank", well, you know what I'm talking about, but there are ways around that.

Give it a shot. It might yet make men out of you.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
VVVVVV and SMB are worth it for the sound tracks a lone. Cave Story can be had for free from the devs website I'm pretty sure... I would wait for Torchlight 2 unless you really want a game that runs great on a crappy laptop.
Not exactly. The version on Steam has new modes of play, improved graphics, an additional level,
another playable character
(not sure whether that's considered a spoiler or not, just being cautious).

If you can't afford it or aren't sold on it, try the free original. It's a full game in its own right. If you like it, go ahead and pick up the Steam version.

...I don't even remember who you were responding to Easy but this post is aimed at them. Ugh, fast thread. Ah, it was this post.

Einbroch

Banned
Anyone interested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC should take the plunge now that's dirt cheap.

The best way to describe it is this: it's a survival simulator. It's not for everyone, but it's a game everyone should experience. I liken it to the Souls games; not be because they are anything like the Souls series in terms of design, mechanics or aesthetics; rather because they have an inherent hostility that is always a part of the environment, and because both respect the player as a rational agent and trust him/ her to overcome the challenges the game throws out. And like the Souls series, the game will punish you for being reckless, and it will reward you for being deliberate, methodical and observant in your approach.

It does differ from the Soul series in that, unlike the former, which are polished to perfection and lovingly hand-crafted to the last delicious detail, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is kind of rough. It's actually quite rough, and if you are familiar with the term "Euro-jank", well, you know what I'm talking about, but there are ways around that.

I said I wasn't going to buy anything and then this piece of shit has the gall to post this.

:(

HoosTrax

Sounds more like singleplayer DayZ than Souls from your description.

Katoki

Just watched the GT review for NFS: Hot Pursuit.

Dammit now I need to buy this game.

$5 is totally an appropriate price for this game. It was a sub-$20 game for me when I still had my PS3 though. Should have no regrets if you like the NFS games minus Shift (I can't say anything about them, never tried em).

marrec

Banned
I said I wasn't going to buy anything and then this piece of shit has the gall to post this.

:(

What he says is all very true. But the parts he leaves out are the bland environments full of fetch quests and the AI that can either be really good or exceedingly bad. The quest ending bugs and the possible frame rate issues. The interface is unnecessarily complex and a lot of the mechanics are quite antiquated.

It encompasses the term 'Euro-Jank' more than any other game has before.

Also, you need to download a fan made patch for it to be even remotely enjoyable.

Like I said before, there are moments of brilliant game play in STALKER, it's just not worth the rest of the crap to get there.

xJavonta

Banned
No customization, just pick a car and a color and go. It's really fun for what it's worth as the "drifting" is kind of satisfying when you get the hang of it. I play on a controller so I can't speak for KBM. Smashing cop cars is it's own thing, but I don't care much for it and they have this crazy rubberband effect going. They will catch up to you in a few seconds even when you turn them 180 and stop them and are still going really fast. Haven't started on the cop side yet, the cars are all painted black and white and all that..

TL;DR: Arcadey, nice cars + no customization but color choice, cops rubberband back quick.
Thanks! I'm not into sims so NFS:Hot Pursuit seems to be right up my alley.

Danielsan

Yeah, that would have put me off. Ah well, recent Hot Pursuit buyers what's your EA ids?! I'll post mine once I log in and link it up as I have no idea what it actually is.
My EA/Origin id is Danielsan-GAF.
Anyone else who's picked up or already owns Hot Pursuit, feel free to add me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I voted Sim City 4. Not sure why, but there ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom