• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sounds more like singleplayer DayZ than Souls from your description.
Yeah, it kinda is, though in its current state, I found DayZ to get boring fast, while STALKER never leaves you without anything to do (randomly generated quests, dead enemies sometimes drop their stash locations so you can find their loot, artifact hunting...).

Owensboro

Welp, just screwed up at Gamestop trying to get a $50 Steam card and forgot to tell them I had store credit to spend on it. I just found out no matter how fast you notice and want to void the transaction (in my case, 15 seconds) it's impossible with any DLC from gamestop.

I don't suppose anyone here wants to buy the steam wallet code off me? I'm hoping to not eat the $50 since I don't have it to spend.

What he says is all very true. But the parts he leaves out are the bland environments full of fetch quests and the AI that can either be really good or exceedingly bad. The quest ending bugs and the possible frame rate issues. The interface is unnecessarily complex and a lot of the mechanics are quite antiquated.

It encompasses the term 'Euro-Jank' more than any other game has before.

Also, you need to download a fan made patch for it to be even remotely enjoyable.

Like I said before, there are moments of brilliant game play in STALKER, it's just not worth the rest of the crap to get there.

This is how I feel about the games too.

NG28

Installed Stalker + Stalker Complete and I don't think it's right... It looks about the same as it did before I installed the mod?

Did you run Stalker vanilla once before installing Complete?

Edit - Heh I just now realized what you said. Not sure what could be wrong.

LM4sure

Banned
I used to be in the STALKER hate gang as well, but since then the way I approach games has changed considerably. It's very much like Far Cry 2 in that the game is less about approaching it like a typical one of going through the quests and hammering out the storyline and more about doing your own thing and seeing the systems of the game mesh in interesting ways.

It's very much a game where you just go in and make your own story from your interactions.

I liked far cry 2 quite a bit though. The respawning of enemies was lame, but otherwise a fun game. I don't enjoy stalkers story as much and with the way it performs on my system, it's really frustrating and difficult to try to get into the game. I'll eventually beat it, but I can only play in small doses (typically until the game freezes).

zkylon

zkylewd
What he says is all very true. But the parts he leaves out are the bland environments full of fetch quests and the AI that can either be really good or exceedingly bad. The quest ending bugs and the possible frame rate issues. The interface is unnecessarily complex and a lot of the mechanics are quite antiquated.

It encompasses the term 'Euro-Jank' more than any other game has before.

Also, you need to download a fan made patch for it to be even remotely enjoyable.

Like I said before, there are moments of brilliant game play in STALKER, it's just not worth the rest of the crap to get there.
Bland environments? Surely you jest.

marrec

Banned
Yeah, it kinda is, though in its current state, I found DayZ to get boring fast, while STALKER never leaves you without anything to do (randomly generated quests, dead enemies sometimes drop their stash locations so you can find their loot, artifact hunting...).

Don't lie to him. There are vast stretches of absolutely nothing to do.

Scipius

He isn't lying, you are. STALKER's environments are quite dynamic; you will never get the exact same result crossing the same map twice. Some people even think the maps are overpopulated.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm a cheapskate and if I can save $2.50, then I will :3 (the base game will be $9.99 tomorrow, but they won't have any discounts on DLC)

Yeah you can just buy the DLC now. Don't think you can buy it for yourself since you won't have the game so just buy it as a gift, store it in your inventory then redeem it when you have the game.

Platy

Frozenbyte Giveaway
TvdCV.png

can do again after 15 minutes.
Probably deserve it's own thread ... but i'm in a rush and don't want to make a bad thead =P

therapist

So far i have bought :

Alan Wake Franchise - 10$ (DLC + AMerican nightmare - which is awesome ! )
Mirrors Edge - 5$
Bastion - 3.50$
Bioshock 2 - 5$
Batman Arkham GOTY + Arkham City - 18$

Thats it so far im really restraining myself this year :/

I hope RE5 goes like 5$ ill pick that up , im kinda bummed i didnt buy metro even though i already beat it , it was a pretty fun game.

Mirror's edge i have double dipped , i never do that , and ive beaten it 2+ times , great game.

Total = 41.50 $

Double D

So, I could get Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl basically for free, but it's a used retail version.

Does the retail come with DRM, can I install the used game without problem on Win7 64bit, or could I end up with an unusable copy of the game?
Complete mod should work without problem right?

If it's under $4.00 on Steam I'm pretty sure that means it's free. For some reason my bank account disagrees with this logic.

zchen

Couple of days ago I bought SR3 plain and told my self that was enough.
Today I went ahead and bought season's pass and maximum pleasure......
I'm so ashamed......

Double D

lol, I just realized that I own all of those Frozenbyte games and have only played the first Trine. I keep seeing Shadowgrounds in my games list and I always wonder how it got there.

Sblargh

Banned
The thing about STALKER is that I can't shake Yahtzee out of my head saying it you are a super hero with the power of the quick save button, because if it wasn't for that, you would be fucked. (or something, probably funnier)

How are you guys spending 100-150 bucks? Buying everything under the Sun or fairly new to PC gaming? Your backlogs are going to be enormous. I got Ys Origin and Killing Floor and am pretty happy with that haul

Deadstar

Installed Stalker + Stalker Complete and I don't think it's right... It looks about the same as it did before I installed the mod?

Did you read the readme? Says to run Stalker, patch it. Close it. Then make sure it's a certain version, then install the complete mod. Then start a new game. You have to start a new game for it to work.

How are you guys spending 100-150 bucks? Buying everything under the Sun or fairly new to PC gaming? Your backlogs are going to be enormous. I got Ys Origin and Killing Floor and am pretty happy with that haul

You can't do much better than those two anyway.

Noaloha

Building the Steam library for the PC-I-don't-yet-own, my damage thus far:

Pre-Steam Sale

- Deus EX GOTY
- Sequence
- M:TG - Planeswalkers 2012
- PA Rain-Slick 3
- Cthulhu Saves The World
- Breath Of Death VII
- Vampire: Bloodlines

POST-STEAM SALE

SpaceChem /// £1.74
Portal 2 /// £3.74
Terraria /// £1.49
SFIV:AE2012 /// £6.24
--¬ All-in Costume Pack /// £5.49
Crusader Kings II Combo /// £9.49
--¬ CKII Sword Of Islam /// £1.99
--¬ African Units /// £0.39
--¬ Songs Of Caliph /// £0.39
Tribes: Ascend Starter Pack /// £3.74
Binding Of Isaac Bundle /// £1.73
Half Life 1 & 2 Complete (shitload of games!) /// £6.74
Ys Origin /// £5.19
Hitman: Blood Money /// £1.49
Mount & Blade Warband /// £0.00 (Thanks Tony!)
-¬ Napoleonic Wars /// £1.99
Europa Universalis III Complete /// £0.00 (Thanks Tony!)
The Walking Dead Season 1 /// £12.59
Red Faction: Guerrilla /// £3.74
Total War: Shogun 2 /// £7.49
-¬ Rise Of The Samurai /// £1.49
-¬ Dragon War /// £0.99
-¬ Ikko Ikki /// £0.74
-¬ Hattori /// £0.74
-¬ Sengoku Jidai /// £0.49
-¬ Blood Pack /// £0.24
Hard Reset: Extended /// £2.50
Dear Esther /// £1.74
Cave Story+ /// £1.74
Mirror's Edge /// £3.24
Civilization V /// £4.99
-¬ Babylon /// £0.74
-¬ Asia /// £0.49
-¬ Americas /// £0.49
-¬ Mediterranean /// £0.49
-¬ Denmark /// £1.49
-¬ Korea /// £0.74
-¬ Mesopatamia /// £0.49
-¬ Polynesia /// £0.74
-¬ Spain & Inca /// £1.11
-¬ Wonders /// £0.74
-¬ Explorers /// £1.49
Company of Heroes /// £1.74
Railworks 3: Train Sim 2012 /// £2.49
Grand Theft Auto Complete (shitload of games!) /// £4.99
Stacking /// £2.86
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl /// £2.49
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat /// £3.24
Thief II /// £1.74

TOTAL: £110.74

Feeling... okay, I guess, about how much I've spent (am spending), at least from the perspective of simply filling out a library for a future PC during the most opportune fortnight in the year. Definitely need to take a step back from the kneejerk purchase-buttoneering now though. The last few games have increasingly felt like unnecessary spends. Not enough hours in the day, etc. And I very likely have waaaay too much massive strategy game on the list across Shogun 2, Civ 5, CK 2 and EU 3.

BioHazard

lol at the notion of a backlog. cute

dani_dc

Hot Pursuit and Fortune Summoners, good day.

I'll add some of you guys to the game later (no idea what my ID is).

Have no interest in the games up for community vote, so voted for SimCity 4 (both other games were daily sales already and Anno has some awful DRM).

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not lying, there's always something to do, even moreso if you play the game modded. Almost every time you venture out to do some quest you run into interesting stuff, be it anomalies, a dog pack chasing some poor sob, faction shootouts, etc. You loot their corpses and find one or two stash locations, giving you even more things to do. During the whole time you explore and scavenge swamps, military camps, garbage dumps, warehouses, abandoned underground labs and such. If you play SoC modded (at least Oblivion Lost features these things), you can even drive a car if you want to skip some of the walking about, plus you have more enemy types and blowouts (which are just about one of the most amazing things in any videogame).

It's not for everyone and it's a slow paced, moody, methodical game, but if you're into that stuff there's never a dull moment.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Thanks for reposting the summer seal, it's a good reminder to try again.
I've won Shadowgrounds so far...not sure if I'm gonna keep it for myself or give it away.

Why are there a bunch of se...omg.
Ahahaha, that was basically my train of thought when this was first posted.

Double D

Am I the only person who thinks these Indie Bundles suck this time? Each one of them has one game that I kind of want in it. Everything else I already own or don't care to own.

I liked far cry 2 quite a bit though. The respawning of enemies was lame, but otherwise a fun game. I don't enjoy stalkers story as much and with the way it performs on my system, it's really frustrating and difficult to try to get into the game. I'll eventually beat it, but I can only play in small doses (typically until the game freezes).
If you're getting performance issues I can see why it would be harder to get into. It's definitely the type of game that you want to play without hitches to fully absorb yourself.

Yeah, Killing Floor's been on sale for ~5 bucks a bunch of times but this one had all the DLC characters for only $2.50 more so $7.50 total, seemed like a good deal. I hope people still playing online.

Dude, Killing Floor has a ridiculously active community, it's my number one played game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only person who thinks these Indie Bundles suck this time? Each one of them has one game that I kind of want in it. Everything else I already own or don't care to own.

Been like that for me for several sales now. It's the downside of keeping up with indie games outside of sale time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm playing through Super Meat Boy and what the fuck? The soundtrack is top tier! Like, GOD TIER!

Macattk15

How is Sins of a Solar Empire? I've never played any of the space sims ... but have enjoyed the Civ games.

Should I just buy Endless Space instead of Sins? What are the differences ... don't need to go into detail as I am sure there are many ....

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, thank you so much Martin! I don't know who you are (yet) but hopefully your GAF account will get activated, hook me up with that PM whenever man! And thanks a lot for the gift sir! ♥

pQLVa.jpg

Double D

If you're getting performance issues I can see why it would be harder to get into. It's definitely the type of game that you want to play without hitches to fully absorb yourself.

This reminds me why I stopped playing. It was on my old PC and it ran ok, but the load times were atrocious. Which sucked because I was dying a lot. Should probably try now that I've upgraded.

I guess this means I'll buy Call of Pripyat.

Shantom

Civilization V /// £4.99
-¬ Babylon /// £0.74
-¬ Asia /// £0.49
-¬ Americas /// £0.49
-¬ Mediterranean /// £0.49
-¬ Denmark /// £1.49
-¬ Korea /// £0.74
-¬ Mesopatamia /// £0.49
-¬ Polynesia /// £0.74
-¬ Spain & Inca /// £1.11
-¬ Wonders /// £0.74
-¬ Explorers /// £1.49

Erm... why didn't you just get the GOTY edition?

Moppet13

How is Sins of a Solar Empire? I've never played any of the space sims ... but have enjoyed the Civ games.

Should I just buy Endless Space instead of Sins? What are the differences ... don't need to go into detail as I am sure there are many ....

Buy sins if you like 9 hour long games and similar races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom