• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piano

Banned
So which of the Thief games holds up the best today? People here are saying Thief 2 but a good friend recommended Deadly Shadows. Is Thief 2 actually more fun these days or is it just 'better' in the way Daggerfall is the 'best' Elder Scrolls even though it's insanely archaic and frustrating?

Not interested in getting the complete pack. I won't play all of them.

Asking again:
So GAF help me here with Thief:
1. If Im going to get only one, which is the best and why?
2. If that one is for example Thief 1, from 1998, wouldnt it be too dated in playing options (and graphical wise also), or its more complex than the new ones?

EDIT Seems that Thief 1 and 2 have problems with windows 7 but it also seems is solvable with patches.

Einbroch

Banned
So which of the Thief games holds up the best today? People here are saying Thief 2 but a good friend recommended Deadly Shadows. Is Thief 2 actually more fun these days or is it just 'better' in the way Daggerfall is the 'best' Elder Scrolls even though it's insanely archaic and frustrating?

Exactly what I was going to post. Apply this reasoning to Stalker as well, please and thanks.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Wow, after seeing the lists of what you all have gotten, I feel greedy/like a sucker for how much I spent on the dailies/flash deals, haha.

I spent $188.65 --

Alan Wake Franchise
Assassin's Creed II
Bastion
Crusader Kings II
Darksiders
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Double Fine Collection (Costume Quest, Psychonauts, Stacking)
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Just Cause 2
L.A. Noire
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island Pack
Orcs Must Die!
Saints Row: The Third
Sid Meier's Civilization IV with expansions
Sid Meier's Civilization V standalone
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Trine 2
Vessel
The Walking Dead
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

And I'm thinking about getting STALKER & Binding of Isaac! Why does Gaben torment me so?

I think I have you beat, lol.

July 13 - $37.54

Beyond Good & Evil, GTA4 Complete Bundle, From Dust, Tribes; Ascend Steam Starter Pack - $30.41
Bang Bang Racing - $3.39
Lara Croft GOL - $3.74

July 14 - $70.39

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Syberia Collection, Alice Madness Returns, Trine 2, Football Manager 2012, Ys: The Oath in Felghana - $34.79
Alan Wake American Nightmare: $3.74
Roboblitz, The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, Demolition Inc, Ignite, Waves, Ys: Origin - $31.86

July 15 - $19.96

Frozen Synapse - Two Pack, L.A. Noire Complete Edition - $12.48
Qube - $3.74
Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle: $3.74

July 16 - $31.21

Fear Complete Pack - $9.99
Hitman Collection - $6.24
Mirror's Edge, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record - $14.98

July 17 - $39.96

Crysis Maximum Edition Bundle - $17.49
Garry's Mod, Dungeon Defenders Collection - $17.48
Sanctum: Collection - $4.99

July 18 - $13.73

Just Cause 2, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - 13.73

Grand total so far - $212.79

I already have the backlog of forever, what the fuck am I doing, lol. In between this fuckery, I bought The Last Remnant from Green Game Gaming as well. Oh well, when the gaming crash happens, I'll have my games to play.

Thrakier

It's 10$ on Amazon right now, but yeah, it was a flash, so maybe it'll show up as a daily. I feel silly knowing I bought it for 10$ from GamersGate, but would buy it again just to have it on Steam. I'm such a shill. I mean it uses GFWL, so it's no big deal, but dammit!

I'd rather see a deal on SF vs Tekken.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
16UaG.jpg
Maybe a bit OT, but how anyone can rage so hard at a video game that they do hundreds of dollars in damage to their own shit is beyond me. It's like, nice job breaking it hero. Now you get to buy a new one.

...Though it makes me wish I knew someone who would do this to gift SMB to, because I'm an asshole.

dot

Was playing SRTT while the info about the new daily deals popped up and, after checking, grabbed Recettear, thanks to one of you (I'm not sure who's who on Steam ><) who added me as a friend yesterday and made me go and try the demo for it. Feels good.

Aaand that would be me. :p That Carpe Fulgur bundle is pretty good though. Did they all really add up to $50? Yikes.

Waiting for Alice/Metro/FO3 GOTY to go back on sale. :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Man, I'm with you on this one. I just tried out the Demo and while the systems of running the item shop and dungeon crawing for items to sell seems fun.... I just can't get over the art style. I know I would love this game if it dropped half the dumb art (as is evident by me loving the Taloon section of Dragon Quest IV) but I can't take the sound effects of the main character, or the constant stupid banter. Also, after just playing Ys: Origin, I find myself wishing it had that combat system. Oh well, that's $5 I'm saving.

L9DsX.jpg

That sounds fucking sweet as fuck. I hate poor people!
Dude i'm the same way!

I feel like we're really bonding right now.

Theif 2 holds up very well, and it isn't archaic or frustrating.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Maybe a bit OT, but how anyone can rage so hard at a video game that they do hundreds of dollars in damage to their own shit is beyond me. It's like, nice job breaking it hero. Now you get to buy a new one.
It's nothing special ._.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Ha, I love this. It's the little can of cat food that always cracks me up about it.

I can definitely see why people would be turned off by Recettear's art, I'm not a fan either, and I disabled voices as fast as I possibly could, but man it's a lot of addictive fun. I would kill for a sequel that fleshes out the item shop simulation aspect, it's such a great concept.

Call of Pripyat was on my list so now I gots it.

Total damage so far, £35.57.

Saira 1.99 GBP
PixelJunk Eden 1.40 GBP
1000 Amps 1.99 GBP
Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day One 6.99 GBP
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 4.99 GBP
Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day Two 6.99 GBP
Sword of the Stars II 6.24 GBP
Company of Heroes 1.74 GBP
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (Stand-alone) 3.24 GBP

Don't really want to go over £50 now.

iqubal

Banned
This has probably been asked but this thread moves too fast. Just deadly shadows or do I indulge in the thief collection?

I'm in the same situation, but wil most likely just pick up Deadly Shadows. Realistically with all the cheap games this sale, I'll only be playing one thief game as time permits.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Considering STALKER: CoP and Thief now... Damn you Sliver!

Piano

Banned
I'm in the same situation, but wil most likely just pick up Deadly Shadows. Realistically with all the cheap games this sale, I'll only be playing one thief game as time permits.

Same. And I find I have less tolerance for older games being punishing just for the sake of being punishing so I think I'll stick to the newest ga...

Theif 2 holds up very well, and it isn't archaic or frustrating.
fihoagudast well now I just don't know.

I played all of them a couple years back and thought that 2 was the best of the bunch, though I'd still recommend all of them. 'Cause seriously, for less than 7 bucks that's a lot to play. I wouldn't really consider the first two frustrating, but they might have that archaic feel in the sense of demanding more out of the player than the average game of today, and how intentionally chuggy the combat feels.

demolitio

Son of a bitch. I paid $30 for the Total War pack just to get Napoleon and its DLC along with the Empire DLC since it came out to be cheaper by just a hair and now I see it as the daily deal. As a broke gamer, that hurts...

Risgroo

Picked up STALKER, Medieval 2 and Empire Total War. I'll look over my total wallet damage soon, it's probably around 50-60€. The only games left on my wishlist are both Witcher games, but I'm sure Gaben will find something else for me to buy.

Lancehead

I'd say they hold up pretty well. The only issue I have with those games with regards to controls is occasional to rare platforming sections. As for the game mechanics, they're nothing but dated. Brilliant use of visuals and sound design that forms the framework for stealth. The NPC/enemy models and animations look rather comical, but that shouldn't be an issue affecting gameplay.

I find Thief 1's zombie levels frustrating since stealth doesn't quite work due to poor level design. Other than that the level design is great. The map function could also be better.

Thief 2 is what you'd expect from a proper sequel. This game has some of the best level design I've seen in any game, and such design doesn't age.

Thief 3 is a good game but regressed in some ways, mainly level design. The levels are disappointingly small and the hub system is not very well implemented.

So if you're set on buying just one game, I'd say Thief 2.

scy

I've done a marvelous job so far of spending $0 on the Steam sale!

Own everything from previous sales T.T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom