• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Why are they handicapping keyboard players by not letting them change the controls? I would've beaten this game an hour ago if I could have my IWBTG-setup. Jumping with space is fucking stupid because it's an inconsistent, fragile button.

edit: Talking about Super Meat Boy btw.

You can change the controls if you check the SMB folder. Open ButtonMap.cfg with notepad and have at it.

use a controller

So, GAF, I've been meaning to ask.

These games:

L67hF.png

Any good? They have absurdly high MC scores, but they don't look very compelling. Also, how well would they run on my brother's older laptop? (Dual Core 1.8ghz, Radeon HD 4200?)

The best stealth games ever. Some people seem to think the first two are dated, so I'd start with Deadly Shadows and move on to those if you like it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How's Sins of a Solar Empire's single player set up? AFAIK, it's not like... a storyline or anything, but is there some sort of structure like a list of missions to run through, or is it just a basic skirmish mode?

Gueras

Banned
Guys any chance Back to the future goes on sale until Sunday? Should i wait or grab with 40% off?

Any want know why walking dead freezes sometimes on cutscenes?

Lothars

Guys any chance Back to the future goes on sale until Sunday? Should i wait or grab with 40% off?

Any want know why walking dead freezes sometimes on cutscenes?
I suspect that we will see it on sunday again for a bigger sale, I am actually hoping FFXI goes back in sale because I want to own a copy of FFXI and don't want to spend 12 bucks on it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Salsa, I'm sure you're going to build your custom stick, but if you haven't tried one of these controllers yet, you might want to consider it. Super portable, and I absolutely love mine.

How's Sins of a Solar Empire's single player set up? AFAIK, it's not like... a storyline or anything, but is there some sort of structure like a list of missions to run through, or is it just a basic skirmish mode?

GAF apparently doesn't have many Sins players in this thread because I've been asking about Trinity vs. Rebellion all day and nobody has answered me ever.

From what I know, though, yeah, it is more akin to Civ in that there is just mode you vs. AI in long games or multiplayer. No traditional campaign with a narrative, only emergent gameplay narratives.

But I'm more interested in knowing whether Trinity is worth it for $5 or if I should just pass until Rebellion is cheap.

1-D_FTW

its pretty much impossible to buy one for me because of shipping costs + the fact that they'll hold it due to its weight.

Plus, I always wanted to know the inside outs and build my own (since I hear it's really really easy), and the "best" arcade sticks out there dont ussually come with the best parts anyway.

It's fun. I no longer have mine, but I once built a panel with two controllers, a Happ (Atari clone) trackball, and a Tempest clone spinner. With the community out there, it really is an easy thing to do.

PaulLFC

Disappointing day today.

- Why is Total War a daily deal again? Why does it get two daily deal slots in the sale? Should have just made the Shogun sale a franchise sale and sold all the games then. Same goes for CoD, why should it get more than one sale, when other games will miss out?

- Only 25% off on Sins? I know it's new, but at 25% it's not even worth taking up a deal slot. Have it as a flash deal if they really want to sell it for that. Complete pack is also expensive considering the other packs are around the same price and include more games, some of them games that are close in release date (Telltale with Walking Dead, for example).

- Super Meat Boy is on sale again. Again. For the same price it's been in countless Steam sales before.

- Deals are being repeated more and more now, I suppose that's unavoidable as the sale goes on with the system Valve have chosen, though.

It's a good sale for anyone new to PC gaming though. I guess I just own too many games by this point :(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Also, is it worth it to get all three Thief games? Or can I honestly get away with just grabbing one and calling it a day?

Lothars

GAF apparently doesn't have many Sins players in this thread because I've been asking about Trinity vs. Rebellion all day and nobody has answered me ever.

From what I know, though, yeah, it is more akin to Civ in that there is just mode you vs. AI in long games or multiplayer. No traditional campaign with a narrative, only emergent gameplay narratives.

But I'm more interested in knowing whether Trinity is worth it for $5 or if I should just pass until Rebellion is cheap.
yes Trinity is worth the price and I would pick that up than wait till next sale when Rebellion is cheap.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

It's $5, might as well, right?

That's how I'm convincing myself to pull the trigger on it, at least.

I played a little of trinity. Really steep learning curve if you don't have another person helping you learn the game. I only played it for a few nights, and I was surprised how many hours I racketed up in, what felt like a super short period. It's worth the $5.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thief is amazing. Blew my mind back in the day and still oozes with atmosphere at every corner, even if the graphics haven't aged well (they were shit even by the time).

Buy them, buy them all!

catabarez

My arcade stick is one of my favorite pickups of the last few years. It's much easier on the hands, especially during long sets. The arcade stick thread is a good place to find the right (sanwa) parts.

For those in the states, Newegg has PS3/360 Madcatz SFxT Pro sticks for 99 bucks shipped. That's a really good deal.

I don't know why I haven't tried my PS3 Tekken fight stick on my PC before, but it is working perfectly!

I played a little of trinity. Really steep learning curve if you don't have another person helping you learn the game. I only played it for a few nights, and I was surprised how many hours I racketed up in, what felt like a super short period. It's worth the $5.

Is it mainly just building units and harvesting resources? The slower pace seems like a plus to me; most RTS are just too fast for me.

But I think maybe I want something more like Gal Civ or X3? The idea of realtime Civ like game in space is what appeals to me. Not necessarily a heavy focus on combat.

Dacvak

Next flash sale is in 1 hour, 20 minutes.

My predicition: Skyrim

Also, Id be SHOCKED if Arma II CO goes on sale. Its been at 20% since the beginning, and its in 4th still, often in the top 3. Its selling like hotcakes, consistantly, at that price point.

Mikor

Our brave new digital future.

It always amazes me that companies get away with this. For all extents and purposes, they've stolen something you paid for.

You should have seen my reaction when a game I was given as a gift ended up causing me to have my account suspended/banned for over a week during the holiday period. Steam support's answer after begrudgingly reactivating my account and removing the license to said title was to "make sure I'm careful who I accept gifts from in the future". (I later discovered the gift sender ended up trying to pull a fast one and applied a chargeback against the title - just absurd that MY account got caught up in that in any way other than revoking the original license)

Next flash sale is in 1 hour, 20 minutes.

My predicition: Skyrim

Also, Id be SHOCKED if Arma II CO goes on sale. Its been at 20% since the beginning, and its in 4th still, often in the top 3. Its selling like hotcakes, consistantly, at that price point.

My prediction is that it's something we've already seen.

ImRight

yeah I added a post

also, building my own with the best parts isnt gonna cost me more than 80 bucks really. I dont understand why more people wont do it. I get that the build on a new one could be great or whatever but buying one to swtich the parts just seems silly, making your own is easy and once you get the best parts there is virtually no difference.

may i ask exaclty what ur talking about here? :-/

I'll be buying Sins just because there is a Legend of Galactic Heroes mod, I think I'll only be playing that lol. Hope Rebellion gets in the flash sale.

Dacvak

I guess since I keep asking questions, I might as well get these two out of the way while I'm at it:

I've played through about half of the first Dead Space and got bored, but I'm interested in getting the second one.

• Is it worth it?
  • Is it better than the first?
  • Do I need to beat Dead Space 1 to "get" Dead Space 2?

I'm interested in getting Arma II just to play Day Z.

• Can I buy just Arma II, or do I need Operation Arrowhead along with it?
  • If I don't require OA, does buying it add anything to Day Z?
  • Are there any additional mods/packs (like a high-res texture pack) that I should get if I buy Arma II?

ImRight

Anyone thinks its strange that u get presented with a EULA/TOS only AFTER purchasing and before install? i mean shouldnt they tell u what you have to agree to before you are charged for the game? seeing as how its not like a store were u could just go back and get your money straight away.....?

Dacvak

fuck it since Ive been enjoying SSFIV so much again I decided to go ahead and build my own Arcade Stick starting next week. Was always interested in building one of these from scratch, should be interesting.

Since making an arcade stick myself I totally find that my tastes in games have changed. SHMUPS and fighters are just way more fun to play with a stick, I'm actually currently writing up a little list of my favorite, on Steam sale, arcade stick friendly games to post in this thread. I won't say that I necessarily perform better that I would with a nice d-pad, but it is way more fun and satisfying. And there is more on the PC that works well with a stick than you might expect. I made mine by padhacking a wired 360 pad so I get super easy and simple PC support just by plugging in.

This was my favorite site to help with my build along with SRK TechTalk.
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html

Seimitsu buttons and LS-32, IMO :).

(My self-built stick below, since I'll take any chance to show it off)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom