• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

How's Sins of a Solar Empire's single player set up? AFAIK, it's not like... a storyline or anything, but is there some sort of structure like a list of missions to run through, or is it just a basic skirmish mode?

Yes, only skirmish but there are many variables to setting up games. I haven't played Rebellion yet (Waiting for a bigger price drop) but it is a stand alone expansion. There are a couple extra things added but the core game seems similar.

Personally I'd recommend buying the Sins Trilogy now while it is 5 bucks, and if you like it you can pick up Rebellion during a sale down the road.

1-D_FTW

Next flash sale is in 1 hour, 20 minutes.

My predicition: Skyrim

Also, Id be SHOCKED if Arma II CO goes on sale. Its been at 20% since the beginning, and its in 4th still, often in the top 3. Its selling like hotcakes, consistantly, at that price point.

I'd be fairly surprised if it didn't go on sale for 33 percent off on the final day.

It's hilarious how they couldn't give the game away and were discounting it for peanuts, and then some mod comes along and they suddenly turn into Activision. It's a shame it wasn't a standalone product so the mod makers were the ones actually getting the money from this.

Sajjaja

I guess since I keep asking questions, I might as well get these two out of the way while I'm at it:

I've played through about half of the first Dead Space and got bored, but I'm interested in getting the second one.

• Is it worth it?
  • Is it better than the first?
  • Do I need to beat Dead Space 1 to "get" Dead Space 2?

I'm interested in getting Arma II just to play Day Z.

• Can I buy just Arma II, or do I need Operation Arrowhead along with it?
  • If I don't require OA, does buying it add anything to Day Z?
  • Are there any additional mods/packs (like a high-res texture pack) that I should get if I buy Arma II?

For ARMA, you need OA to play Day Z

j-wood

Do any of the negative user reviews on Metacritic have any merit for hot pursuit? Or is that the internet just being the internet?

You bastards. I bought extra copies of Just Cause 2 because I was sure someone on GAF would miss the sale. Now I'm short on money for Saints Row 3!

Oh well I'm sure it will be on sale again before the end of the sale. Probably be up last day.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd be fairly surprised if it didn't go on sale for 33 percent off on the final day.

It's hilarious how they couldn't give the game away and were discounting it for peanuts, and then some mod comes along and they suddenly turn into Activision. It's a shame it wasn't a standalone product so the mod makers were the ones actually getting the money from this.

I'm not familiar with the game--what did the mod do to change the game so much?

ruel

Neo Member
Just bought Thief Gold.

Is anyone else getting the "invalid content content configuration" error when trying to install it?

Gah, I just realized Shogun 2 was on sale twice already, and I missed both of them. I seriously hope there's another chance for me to get it before the summer sale ends. =(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Looks like the SF4 fightpads. I've got one of those that I absolutely love for emulators.

That's exactly what it is. I was just finding him the cheapest one on Amazon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've played through about half of the first Dead Space and got bored, but I'm interested in getting the second one.

• Is it worth it?
]

Yes it's worth it.

Yes and no, DS2 complements DS1 I'd have a tough time determining which one is the best.

Not really but you would benefit from it and the game only gets better ( DS1 ) so I suggest you keep at it.

Katoki

Ive played it more than any other game Ive bought recently, and let me tell you, thats quite a list. Its great, and looks beautiful in motion. One of my favorite racers this gen along with Burnout Revenge.

I second this for Hot Pursuit. I even went and forced AA on through the Nvidia CP and it's prettier as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Two hours later and I'm on Hell in Super Meat Boy. I'll continue when I find a pad. This game was clearly not designed for keyboard; they could've at least made it customizable. I was one of the first to beat IWBTG (22 deaths) and Gaiden (5 deaths) on keyboard, but Super Meat Boy is just... slippery and not as accurate as I want it to be :/

I guess since I keep asking questions, I might as well get these two out of the way while I'm at it:

• Is it worth it?

[/LIST]

Dead Space 2 is a great game worth your time if you like third person shooters. I might be wrong, but there is a really great summary of the events of the first one in the menus. It should clear up any confusion you might have. If you got past the intro sequence of the first one you know most of what you need to anyways and can probably fill in the blanks from there. Its difficult to make the blanket statement that the game is better then the first. It really depends on what you are coming to the game for. The game definitely tones down the scares and sense of hopelessness, but still has great atmosphere. It controls better then first and has some great set pieces. It all depends on what you looking fir from the series.

ImRight

I'm interested in getting Arma II just to play Day Z.

• Can I buy just Arma II, or do I need Operation Arrowhead along with it?
  • If I don't require OA, does buying it add anything to Day Z?
  • Are there any additional mods/packs (like a high-res texture pack) that I should get if I buy Arma II?

Im not sure about this cause i ended up just paying for the CO pack for arma 2, but i remember reading something about being able to get the Free 2 play version or demo or watever it is and purchase OA and u can launch Day Z from that........

Also on another note if ur expecting a polished game with Day Z u WILL not get it its fairly terrible by way of mechanics things like items dissapearing from ur pack when its full and u try to pick up other stuff..... zombies Teleporting through walls,.... and various other bugs on the same scale... But it's GREAT fun if u have someone to play with and u can manage tto actually find some weapons, it just got patched recently aswell so alot of this may b fixed,

i played it about 3 or 4 times for about 5-6 hours before i just decided i couldnt stand playing it in its current state, At least not untill i could get some melee wep's and there was some form of tooltips or instructions to alot of the things you have to do, i know this might be lazy and i could just look the stuff up on the net, but it just takes away a whole level of immersion if u have to pause a game to find out how to cook get food/cook meat /make a fire/ fix vehicles restore blood Ect.....

Also, not being able to defend urself with your fists Is Extremely Annoying weather its Super ineffective or not... I would at least want to be able to throw a fist up when some zombie is mauling me Half the time i played i just ended up running away from zombies that i couldnt sneak past to get weapons at full pace for like 15 mins before i just gave up and died....

You bastards. I bought extra copies of Just Cause 2 because I was sure someone on GAF would miss the sale. Now I'm short on money for Saints Row 3!

Oh well I'm sure it will be on sale again before the end of the sale. Probably be up last day.

I wouldn't mind buying one of those JC2 copies off you if that's any help :p

Sora_N

Two hours later and I'm on Hell in Super Meat Boy. I'll continue when I find a pad. This game was clearly not designed for keyboard; they could've at least made it customizable. I was one of the first to beat IWBTG (22 deaths) and Gaiden (5 deaths) on keyboard, but Super Meat Boy is just... slippery and not as accurate as I want it to be :/

Yeah, SMB was hella hard on keyboard. I need a pad too.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Dead Space 2 is a great game worth your time if you like third person shooters. I might be wrong, but there is a really great summary of the events of the first one in the menus. It should clear up any confusion you might have. If you got past the intro sequence of the first one you know most of what you need to anyways and can probably fill in the blanks from there. Its difficult to make the blanket statement that the game is better then the first. It really depends on what you are coming to the game for. The game definitely tones down the scares and sense of hopelessness, but still has great atmosphere. It controls better then first and has some great set pieces. It all depends on what you looking fir from the series.

I just felt like the first one got a bit repetitive. Mainly the setpieces... I would frequently get confused, since everything looked pretty similar. It wasn't like RE4, where every new area looks distinctly different, helping you to remember it better.

I also thought there were a lot of tedious tasks in the first game. It wasn't the focus of the game by any means, but I guess I was just hoping for something a little different.

I'll likely give DS2 a try, though. Because, lol, $5. Why not?

1-D_FTW

I'm not familiar with the game--what did the mod do to change the game so much?

I don't have it either. But I've occasionally read the thread that's constantly on the front page of gaf. It's a persistent, post-apocalyptic zombie infestation, where death is permanent. Some of the stories posted are pretty cool. Although I think I'd probably prefer reading the stories than actually playing it.

Lucentto

Banned
Thanks to whoever mentioned The Witcher GOG sale. I was looking for a way to buy the whole series the cheapest, $17 for both games is the perfect price.

Dacvak

Does Terraria support a 360 controller?

Anything supports a 360 controller if you have Xpadder. I'd imagine that using the mouse might be a bit annoying, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah, SMB was hella hard on keyboard. I need a pad too.
I'll give the soundtrack 10 points though! Especially world #2 (the dark one)!!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still debating that Carpe Fulgur pack. Looks great but I'm not sure I can get into an item shop game.

Somebody--push me into buying these. I haven't bought much this sale.

Dacvak

Wow, thanks for the heads up! $16.98 for both games is an amazing deal for Europeans. I would say that it's worthy of a new thread.

Do they activate on Steam? Also, balls, I have the Witcher 1 already. I just want 2. =/

That's exactly what it is. I was just finding him the cheapest one on Amazon.

During several of the most recent fighting game tournaments MadCatz has been selling the SFxTekken fightpads (the most recent ones) for $20 + shipping, so you can always be on the lookout for that. I just picked one up to go along with the PC collection of Genesis games.

Yoshichan

I think I'm going for Metro 2033 next... God bless my (computers) soul :(

Since making an arcade stick myself I totally find that my tastes in games have changed. SHMUPS and fighters are just way more fun to play with a stick, I'm actually currently writing up a little list of my favorite, on Steam sale, arcade stick friendly games to post in this thread.

I have an arcade stick that doesn't get much use and I would be interested in seeing your list once it's completed.

squid

Ok, just so I'm clear: Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion includes everything in Trinity plus more? These standalone expansion things are weird...

Nabs

Still debating that Carpe Fulgur pack. Looks great but I'm not sure I can get into an item shop game.

Somebody--push me into buying these. I haven't bought much this sale.

Play the demo for Recettear and see if you like it. You don't have to pick up the entire bundle since they are all 75% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom