• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
piece of shit deleted my almost completed Dirt 3 savefile last year. Game froze once so I had to alt-F4 it. After that each time I entered the game it would just say "save file corrupted".

All I did was exit the game normally, go back to play it awhile later, attempt to load the game and I got a message saying it was corrupted. I was also at the very end. This "service" needs to be done away with, and I'm sure it eventually will be gone. But it's a shame that a lot of good games had to suffer from it.
It's really funny because GFWL encrypts the save files in sort of lump sum, so if you quit out forcibly it can fuck it up for any saves you have.

My first question is: We're on the PC, why are you bothering to encrypt save files when we can modify existing values in ram? Wtf is wrong with you

j-wood

Speaking of motionjoy and the PS3 controller, does anyone know of a way to "unsync" the controller from the ps3 console? Since I bought so many pc games in this sale, I just plan on keeping my old ps3 controller by my pc, but everytime I unplug it, it turns my ps3 on.

The reset button on the back of the controller doesn't reset the memory, all it does is shut the controller off.

ImRight

As much as I love the onza, the build quality is a piece of shit. Within 6 months the right trigger stopped working. Unless they fixed it, I would go with the official xbox controller

hmm that dont sound good, when did u get your's? i got one about 3 months ago now and its working Fine... I love the adjustable resistance on the sticks its Koota, but that said i havent been using it heavily.... just hope it dont fuck up on me

MRORANGE

I really need to stop staying awake for these 2 AM flash deals. I think I got less than 15 hours sleep this week x_x

gnight gaf.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Speaking of motionjoy and the PS3 controller, does anyone know of a way to "unsync" the controller from the ps3 console? Since I bought so many pc games in this sale, I just plan on keeping my old ps3 controller by my pc, but everytime I unplug it, it turns my ps3 on.

The reset button on the back of the controller doesn't reset the memory, all it does is shut the controller off.
The only way that works for me is if I sync it via BT which works awesome. You really can't "unsync" it any other way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Probably gonna do some damage tonight. Thinking about getting Recettear (though I'm still not 100% on it), but I'm definitely getting Fortune Summoners, the first two Thief games, Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity, and maybe a couple others. Which doesn't sound like much, except that it's far from the only gaming shit I'm buying tonight.

Also, motioninjoy is the least desirable thing in the world. Just get a 360 controller.

oipic

20 vote badge thingy received (for those still in any doubt as to what number we're up to).

Committing my sale wishes to screen here, just in case the Steam overlords are taking notes:

- Deus Ex: HR (my fingers are crossed for a repeat of some sort - was it a daily?)
- Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (this is the good one, right?)

Ryder

Would anyone be able to buy deadspace 2 for me and ill pay through paypal?

as its like $17 in the AUS store and like $4 in the US store.

just send me a pm if your interested.

mrgone

20 vote badge thingy received (for those still in any doubt as to what number we're up to).

Committing my sale wishes to screen here, just in case the Steam overlords are taking notes:

- Deus Ex: HR (my fingers are crossed for a repeat of some sort - was it a daily?)
- Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (this is the good one, right?)

Weird. I'm sure I've voted in all of them and havn't received my 20 vote badge yet. Maybe some of votes during that really buggy period a couple of days ago didn't end up counting for everyone or something?

mackattk

hmm that dont sound good, when did u get your's? i got one about 3 months ago now and its working Fine... I love the adjustable resistance on the sticks its Koota, but that said i havent been using it heavily.... just hope it dont fuck up on me

Was about a year and a half ago... Maybe they fixed the build quality by now, not sure though. Really hope everything works out for you, it was an awesome controller (when it worked). One thing I really loved about it was how easy/short the distance was when I pressed the face buttons.

Gbraga

I also want Chaos Theory, I feel your pain bro.

Alpha Protocol, Chaos Theory and Call of Cthulhu as dailies, pretty please?

BillyBats

Banned
For fucks sake is there anything better than these Steam sales? This is amazing. With these flash sales I'm actually spending more money. They are geniuses.

Chesskid1

Banned
i can't get harley quinn to work either. i was able to redeem the code on live.com and the GFWL client that opens when you start AC.

i simply cannot open the GFWL main client for some reason, just times out. gahh, really want to play harley quinn. gonna try reinstalling gfwl.

Kaiden

Neo Member
So if Sim City 4 is the Community Choice and on sale now, that means if I want it I should buy and not wait, right? This is it?

Razek

Banned
28 hours poured into Borderlands vanilla content. Now to get started on the DLC.

If you haven't played Borderlands and you're even the slightest bit interested in RPG's, but this game before the sale ends. Please.

Really happy with my purchases so far:

Borderlands GOTY
Batman: Arkham Aslyum GOTY (total impulse purchase, just like when I bought Bioshock 1 & 2 last Halloween, haven't completed those yet either, yay for backlog)
Fallout new Vegas Ultimate Edition
Total War Megapack

£24 spent so far, not even the average cost of one new release PC game. Come at me Steam, come at me.

It's either my favorite or second favorite game from this gen. It also is in my top 5 of all time. I loved borderlands and just got done playing with a friend. I agree everyone should play and at least give it a chance. I bought the game for $30 a long time a go and I believe I'm about $.04/hour in cost to hour ratio. It's a shame when people say 'it's boring' without really trying to get into it or trying it with a friend(s).

tldr; if you like rpgs and shooting buy the game [of the year edition].

XOMTOR

Weird. I'm sure I've voted in all of them and havn't received my 20 vote badge yet. Maybe some of votes during that really buggy period a couple of days ago didn't end up counting for everyone or something?

I'm thinking the same thing as I haven't received my 20th badge either. I voted a few times via the iOS app and I seem to recall at least one of them struggling to register.

biocat

I really need to stop staying awake for these 2 AM flash deals. I think I got less than 15 hours sleep this week x_x

gnight gaf.

I guess I'm lucky because raising a small infant in a tiny apartment I'm awake for all the sales. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Katoki

So if Sim City 4 is the Community Choice and on sale now, that means if I want it I should buy and not wait, right? This is it?

Dailies pricing = community choice pricing = flash sale pricing.

Only difference is when they show up. Your call on what to do with your money.

This is what I hope happens, I hope everyone who buys dark souls will get fucked over by GFWL so I can sick back, drink some pubby tears while going:

HellaJeff.jpg

UGGGGG

ImRight

Since we're on the topic of lack of sleep, I just felt that hum feeling in the back of my head from lacking sleep.

Lol yeah im about to do the sleep thing, whats the minimum time a flash sale goes up for? cause its like hour n a half to the next change ... so what is a safe amount of time to sleep if i dont wanna miss it? lol....

It's already been 20 community votes, right? Anyone unlocked the badge? I unlocked the 15 one right away but I'm not seeing the 20 and I'm pretty sure I voted in the 5 polls between them :/

I'm having the same problem. I voted in all of the polls, but it must have screwed me on one and I didn't get the 15 votes badge until 16. Now I'm pretty sure I've voted at least 22 times and no 20 votes badge.

I find people missing sleep odd. Even with the way the deals are staggered, you can pretty much get a solid 7 hours at any point in the day and not miss anything unless you go to sleep right before a 6 hour one goes up. West coast can sleep for like 14 hours or something ridiculous through the night and miss zilch, but it's kind of wasted on me since I rarely sleep more than 6 hours on weekdays anyway.

Lol yeah im about to do the sleep thing, whats the minimum time a flash sale goes up for? cause its like hour n a half to the next change ... so what is a safe amount of time to sleep if i dont wanna miss it? lol....
flash deals are usually 6 hours i think

I find people missing sleep odd. Even with the way the deals are staggered, you can pretty much get a solid 7 hours at any point in the day and not miss anything unless you go to sleep right before a 6 hour one goes up. West coast can sleep for like 14 hours or something ridiculous through the night and miss zilch, but it's kind of wasted on me since I rarely sleep more than 6 hours on weekdays anyway.

I can not not sleep, i think i missed a few deals here and there and a few polls but meh.

Dead Space 2 for £3.74? Ok get. Loved the first game, but never picked up the sequel for some reason.

Go for it.

Katoki

The next SAFE SAFE time to sleep is in 5.5 hours after these flash deals show and that community choice vote is done. Then you have roughly 5-6 hours to sleep IIRC if you want to be up for the moment it switches over.

Salsa

Katoki

I sleep at my regular time, it's just that I get up earlier now because I can't keep sleeping. The mind knows that there're new sales and it denies me. My timezone is staggered just right where I should get 7-8 hours no problem with 1-2 hours left on the sale closest to ending.

"To follow up on the previous post, you can find the components GFWL relies on below:

1. .net Framework 4.0
www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx
2. Microsoft Silverlight
www.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx
3. Windows Live ID Sign in Assistant
4. Games for Windows Live
www.xbox.com/.../DownloadClient

Uninstall and reinstall these components in the order they're listed in."

BWAHAHAHAHH FUCK YOU

and apparently I also need to have IE9 installed

holy shit...

Am I the only one that has never been bothered by GFWL?

i never had a problem with GFWL...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
"To follow up on the previous post, you can find the components GFWL relies on below:

1. .net Framework 4.0
2. Microsoft Silverlight
www.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx
3. Windows Live ID Sign in Assistant
4. Games for Windows Live
www.xbox.com/.../DownloadClient

Uninstall and reinstall these components in the order they're listed in."

BWAHAHAHAHH FUCK YOU

and apparently I also need to have IE9 installed
PINCHE CARNALES EN MICROSOFT HEADQUARTERS SEATLE, WASHINGTON!

I want GFWL games less and less everyday.

Fjord

Which Total War should I pick if I only could get one? Unless someone wants to buy me the pack :)

Triarii!

I've only played Shogun, Rome, Medieval and Shogun 2, not Napoleon or Empire but I would say I definitely enjoy Rome the most. It's units are unique and satisfying. I don't think you lose anything not getting one of the newest ones either, the graphics are fine and honestly I prefer the short load times.

Ah Rome, so many awesome units. Such satisfying charges too.

That being said I've got a group of friends who went crazy on Shogun 2 for an entire year.

Stellares

I am not so good with computers, but can my laptop run many modern games?

AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 2.00 GHZ
4.00 GB ram (2.8gb usable since I'm on windows 7 32bit)
GeForce 8200M G video card (256mb dedicated memory, 1.2gb video memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom