• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next SAFE SAFE time to sleep is in 5.5 hours after these flash deals show and that community choice vote is done. Then you have roughly 5-6 hours to sleep IIRC if you want to be up for the moment it switches over.

That's the thing, you don't need to be up the moment it switches over. Most people here probably don't even remember the time they "ran out" of Bioshock keys to be afraid of that.

ImRight

flash deals are usually 6 hours i think

I can not not sleep, i think i missed a few deals here and there and a few polls but meh.

Go for it.

Alright cool so i shuld be safe with 4-5 hours mayb 6..... Awsome......lol ill probably end up waking up checking my ipod for new deals quickly and sleeping for like 10 hours anyway >.<

Anyway Peace For now GaF

"To follow up on the previous post, you can find the components GFWL relies on below:

1. .net Framework 4.0
www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx
2. Microsoft Silverlight
www.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx
3. Windows Live ID Sign in Assistant
4. Games for Windows Live
www.xbox.com/.../DownloadClient

Uninstall and reinstall these components in the order they're listed in."

BWAHAHAHAHH FUCK YOU

and apparently I also need to have IE9 installed

I'm even worse off in that I got the disk version of Arkham City against infinitely better judgment. Imagine all of the above plus a 20-30 second disk check every time the game starts. Huuuunnngghhh.

mackattk

I'm even worse off in that I got the disk version of Arkham City against infinitely better judgment. Imagine all of the above plus a 20-30 second disk check every time the game starts. Huuuunnngghhh.

disk checks? What is this? 1995?

Wow, just had nostalgia about gamecopyworld and their no cd patches, lol.

jerd

I am not so good with computers, but can my laptop run many modern games?

AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 2.00 GHZ
4.00 GB ram (2.8gb usable since I'm on windows 7 32bit)
GeForce 8200M G video card (256mb dedicated memory, 1.2gb video memory)

I've been using game-debate.com. Find a game, enter your specs, it should tell you if you can run the game and the settings on which you can run it. Hasn't failed me yet.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Couldn't decide whether to buy a gift copy of Bastion or not before the sale expired, but given all these damn repeats it'll probably show up again. :/

I find people missing sleep odd. Even with the way the deals are staggered, you can pretty much get a solid 7 hours at any point in the day and not miss anything unless you go to sleep right before a 6 hour one goes up.
Agreed.

I'm sure this has already been asked, but what's the general consensus on Chantelise and Fortune Summoners?

I enjoyed Recettear, for what that's worth. How do these compare?

gdt

I've had one GFWL experience I think.

Took me like 2 hours to get Bulletstorm to start. Pain the ass. I own Batman:AC pc, haven't played that version yet though.

Salsa

the weird thing is that the in-game client works fine, but when I go to redeem code for example the game freezes. It worked literally 20 minutes ago, I have no idea.

Razek

Banned
Can I please get some more gaf opinions on just recettear other than 'try the demo'? I don't really have time to download it and play it after work and would rather just risk $5 after some opinions. If it helps: the concept interests me, I like JRPGs, and I like strategy games. I just want to make sure nothing is broken about the game, there aren't any horrible flaws, ect.

I'm officially done with the Steam sale, as I just bought Last Remnant from GMG for $7.20 ($3.20 after using my credit), and I literally have $1.35 left in my account... Time to actually go play my games.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm officially done with the Steam sale, as I just bought Last Remnant from GMG for $7.20 ($3.20 after using my credit), and I literally have $1.35 left in my account... Time to actually go play my games.

Play? Games?

I don't understand.

Can I please get some more gaf opinions on just recettear other than 'try the demo'? I don't really have time to download it and play it after work and would rather just risk $5 after some opinions. If it helps: the concept interests me, I like JRPGs, and I like strategy games. I just want to make sure nothing is broken about the game, there aren't any horrible flaws, ect.

Does the concept of running a JRPG item shop interest you?

If yes, then go nuts. There's more to the game than that, but it's all optional. Nothing's broken.

I've played through shit before for a good story (example: Enter The Matrix), but that type of experience isn't worth more than $15 or $20 IMO.

I don't think I've ever played a game to gain more insight in an existing fictional universe I was a fan of. I seriously think games are worse than fan fiction for that.

"To follow up on the previous post, you can find the components GFWL relies on below:

1. .net Framework 4.0
2. Microsoft Silverlight
www.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx
3. Windows Live ID Sign in Assistant
4. Games for Windows Live
www.xbox.com/.../DownloadClient

Uninstall and reinstall these components in the order they're listed in."

BWAHAHAHAHH FUCK YOU

and apparently I also need to have IE9 installed

Yes! this is exactly what i was dealing with last night with Fallout 3. I'm pretty sure my F3 is constantly crashing because it doesn't have an up to date GFWL or because I cant sign int gfwl.

Once you find the page to sign up for GFWL you will find that it needs either 2 email addresses, or 1 email address and a phone number. Then when you get all that the page still doesn't work.

is it because I was using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer?

Petrie

Banned

I enjoyed the game very much. If you are a completionist, know that you'll likely need a guide to get everything out of the game. I haven't even played all the heroes yet and I'm like 40 hours in. It requires very specific things you likely won't do on your own.

Katoki

Is it really easy? Is the extra stuff like dungeon diving fun/worth it?

It's relatively easy in the beginning, as I can't say for later since I only had the demo before today. Worth it, yes, because you get to sell at full profit rather than having bought it for something to resell.

But you do get to change up your mercenary for the style of how you kill stuff in the dungeon dive.

Chesskid1

Banned
the weird thing is that the in-game client works fine, but when I go to redeem code for example the game freezes. It worked literally 20 minutes ago, I have no idea.

same here, i'm installing some net framework and crap, trying to get it to work. i redeemed key through client then i guess it tried to run the GFWL main client and then it would crash.

Is it worth checking out Thief after all these years? I have a copy of Thief 3 somewhere, but it ran really badly on my shite system back then, so I never got into it. But it's the first two that people seem to mention whenever 'stealth done right' is discussed...
The thread moves so fast I don't think anyone saw this. Opinions appreciated.

XOMTOR

disk checks? What is this? 1995?

Wow, just had nostalgia about gamecopyworld and their no cd patches, lol.

Yea, I love how a huge franchise like COD can rely totally on Steamworks yet WB felt that Batman needed multiple layers of DRM. That's one paranoid publisher.

Is it really easy? Is the extra stuff like dungeon diving fun/worth it?

I thought it was very easy, others felt it was challenging (you have profit quotas to meet and I had zero trouble meeting any of them). The dungeon crawling is OK, but I'm not into that sort of thing personally so I barely touched it, which is more than viable.

oipic

I know not reading the OP and using its resources is what the cool kids do, but if more people used the Flash Deal spreadsheet, we'd probably still be on one thread:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq2rXl7gyxo5dGs2V2dORDZ5ZmxyQXVXc1otNGtjbnc#gid=8

You can even use it to plan your sleeping!

Thanks, Mega - very handy. Sets me straight on how/why I missed Deus Ex: HR - I was thinking it was a daily, but if it was in the first batch of flash sales, I wouldn't have had long to grab it when the sale initially started in the wee small hours Australian-time.

So, now holding onto hope it'll return as a daily! Cheers.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yes! this is exactly what i was dealing with last night with Fallout 3. I'm pretty sure my F3 is constantly crashing because it doesn't have an up to date GFWL or because I cant sign int gfwl.

Once you find the page to sign up for GFWL you will find that it needs either 2 email addresses, or 1 email address and a phone number. Then when you get all that the page still doesn't work.

is it because I was using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer?
You just need IE INSTALLED, which comes with windows unless you removed it entirely.

Anyways you can remove (and should) GFWL from Fallout 3.

After all of my issues with GFWL recently I've simply uninstalled what few games I had that required it, and uninstalled the client itself. I've simply written off those few purchases and will make no further ones that use the service. So basically any Capcom's PC ports and Rocksteady's games. After Arkham City, I've simply lost what little patience I had left.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Gonna stay up for another hour to see if the next flash deal is Dustforce. My two gift copy promise still stands, Steam. Make it happen.

Boners Nachos = goodnight. I GOT THIS.
If it makes you feel better about how your other joke went, I laughed way too hard at this.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Triarii!

I've only played Shogun, Rome, Medieval and Shogun 2, not Napoleon or Empire but I would say I definitely enjoy Rome the most. It's units are unique and satisfying. I don't think you lose anything not getting one of the newest ones either, the graphics are fine and honestly I prefer the short load times.

Ah Rome, so many awesome units. Such satisfying charges too.

That being said I've got a group of friends who went crazy on Shogun 2 for an entire year.

Hm. I do like Civil War era, but also older times such Rome and Medieval times.

Razek

Banned
I thought it was very easy, others felt it was challenging (you have profit quotas to meet and I had zero trouble meeting any of them). The dungeon crawling is OK, but I'm not into that sort of thing personally so I barely touched it, which is more than viable.

I enjoyed the game very much. If you are a completionist, know that you'll likely need a guide to get everything out of the game. I haven't even played all the heroes yet and I'm like 40 hours in. It requires very specific things you likely won't do on your own.

It's relatively easy in the beginning, as I can't say for later since I only had the demo before today. Worth it, yes, because you get to sell at full profit rather than having bought it for something to resell.

But you do get to change up your mercenary for the style of how you kill stuff in the dungeon dive.

Thanks guys, I'm going to check youtube quick and give it a bit more thought. I wasn't aware it was so one-dimensional.

wilflare

Gonna stay up for another hour to see if the next flash deal is Dustforce. My two gift copy promise still stands, Steam. Make it happen.

If it makes you feel better about how your other joke went, I laughed way too hard at this.

then here's me hoping it would be the next flash deal as well
:p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah same for me, I really don't get the hate.

Sure, playing SMB with a controller is better, but the keyboard is more than fine.
The problem is that I don't have an Xbox controller, so I have to rely on a DualShock (PS1) with a USB adapter. Perhaps I should get one of those someday.

Thanks, Mega - very handy. Sets me straight on how/why I missed Deus Ex: HR - I was thinking it was a daily, but if it was in the first batch of flash sales, I wouldn't have had long to grab it when the sale initially started in the wee small hours Australian-time.

So, now holding onto hope it'll return as a daily! Cheers.

Same boat, also Australian. I've been waiting for Darksiders AND Deus Ex to pop up in flash sales. Hope they come up as Dailies.

Hanzou

Is one better than the other betweem Empire Total war and Napolean? Both of those eras apeal to me so I am deciding between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom