• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImRight

thing is that it's completely fucking broken now. The GFWL client wont start, tried killing the task, restarting my computer, launching it from a game, everything.

I tried installing it again but in order to do so it has to run the old one and it freezes there where it wont start.

I guess I have to uninstall the client and install it again, but at this point, and with GFWL's history im just ready for it to delete all my game saves after the re-installing.

Seriously fuck this piece of shit. It's been about 4 hours since I decided I wanted to play the Arkham City DLC, it's just a fucking joke.

Cant even imagine playing Dark Souls with this crap, imagine if your save file gets borked there.

What do u recon the chance is that there trying to keep people on consoles for the ease of play factor? i wouldnt be surprised..... in all honesty it would make sense in a way if there planning to realse a Xbox 720 or watever the F the new outdated PoS thing will be

Salsa

oIPyg.png

basically says I have no internet connection and that I should try opening a webpage.

It gives me a troubleshoot option that doesnt detect any problem

I really just dont know what to do other than curse this piece of crap further and prevent anyone from ever having to deal with it. I literally have no idea how to move forward from this, it gives me no option and it was working fine (by fine I mean like crap, but working) less than 20 minutes ago. This is the less user friendly experience ive ever had. Just nothing to do.

Katoki

Good for you, without some sort of backlog I'd have 5-20 minutes on every game I own and zero games finished, zero actually enjoyed. Not something I'd like.

More like 5-20 minutes on stuff that didn't float your boat and then an entire lifetime and some on the stuff you like.

first summer sale...heres what we got so far.

SpaceChem $2.49
Shogun 2 $7.49
Terraria $2.49
Borderlands GOTY $7.49
New Vegas (U) $9.99
Just Cause 2 $3.74
Stalker : SoC $4.99
Stalker : CoP $3.74
GTA IV Complete $7.49

Total : $49.91

Trying to stay under $60 (good luck).....heres hoping for Krater in the next few days.

ImRight

oIPyg.png

basically says I have no internet connection and that I should try opening a webpage.

It gives me a troubleshoot option that doesnt detect any problem

I really just dont know what to do other than curse this piece of crap further and prevent anyone from ever having to deal with it. I literally have no idea how to move forward from this, it gives me no option and it was working fine (by fine I mean like crap, but working) less than 20 minutes ago. This is the less user friendly experience ive ever had. Just nothing to do.

If i was you and had a bit of spare time up my sleave id just fucking ring microsoft support and Ream there Tech's lol...... ive actually spoken to MS tech b4 when i couldnt get my fucking 360 to stream wirlessly, they do Try to help you at least instead of just fobbing you off..... But there not to cluely unless u get put on to someone higher up, then you have to wait for a call back, but at least they may have a few suggestions u wouldnt have thought of

Tomodachi

So you have to impose rules on yourself to enjoy your hobby?
And what's wrong with that exactly?

I'm not saying I don't launch random stuff when I feel like it, especially open-ended games, but I usually avoid starting a game with a start and a definite end if I'm already in the middle of another one, because I'd end up leaving one of them hanging. Simply put, I like to finish what I start (if the game doesn't suck etc, I'm not that strict of course).

More like 5-20 minutes on stuff that didn't float your boat and then an entire lifetime and some on the stuff you like.
There's a huge number of games that actually becomes pretty good after the first few hours (thinking about rpgs, you can't really understand if they're good until the plot pans out a bit and the combat system unlocks all of its features). I wouldn't want to miss out on those but that's me and I can see that some people might lack the patience to endure those few hours.

MRORANGE

This is what I hope happens, I hope everyone who buys dark souls will get fucked over by GFWL so I can sick back, drink some pubby tears while going:

[IM]http://oz.plymouth.edu/~cplamprey/CSDI1200/HellaJeff.jpg[/IMG]

Offline mode will hopefully save the day.

The problems you're going through, and thinking back to my save corruption issue with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, I'm having second thoughts about Dark Souls even more.

Salsa

The problems you're going through, and thinking back to my save corruption issue with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, I'm having second thoughts about Dark Souls even more.

piece of shit deleted my almost completed Dirt 3 savefile last year. Game froze once so I had to alt-F4 it. After that each time I entered the game it would just say "save file corrupted".

Tomodachi

It's already been 20 community votes, right? Anyone unlocked the badge? I unlocked the 15 one right away but I'm not seeing the 20 and I'm pretty sure I voted in the 5 polls between them :/

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Well, hey. I won't complain about this one since it's at least a NEW deal this Summer Sale. About time we stopped seeing the three-peat deals. But I'm not buying GoT for that price. Bargain basement or bust, since I heard it's not great.

Get another company other than Cyanide to make the GoT games. PLEASE!

piece of shit deleted my almost completed Dirt 3 savefile last year. Game froze once so I had to alt-F4 it. After that each time I entered the game it would just say "save file corrupted".

All I did was exit the game normally, go back to play it awhile later, attempt to load the game and I got a message saying it was corrupted. I was also at the very end. This "service" needs to be done away with, and I'm sure it eventually will be gone. But it's a shame that a lot of good games had to suffer from it.

Hakkuei

Actually, I haven't had any problems playing it with the keyboard. Don't know why everyone hates that control scheme for this game.

Yeah same for me, I really don't get the hate.

Sure, playing SMB with a controller is better, but the keyboard is more than fine.

feel

It's already been 20 community votes, right? Anyone unlocked the badge? I unlocked the 15 one right away but I'm not seeing the 20 and I'm pretty sure I voted in the 5 polls between them :/
Not sure but I think we're at 19

edit- nevermind, mine is not showing up either then

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Ugh, all I want is driver to be 75% off, and I'm sold. All I want steam, I've thrown enough money at you already..

Damage:

Alan Wake Collection
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Bioshock 2
Darksiders
DiRT
Fallout New Vegas
Mirrors Edge (LOVE THAT GAME)
Prince of Persia
Red Faction Guerilla
Sniper Elite V2
Thief Deadly Shadows
The Walking Dead
Warhammer 40K Space Marine (Runs terrible on my PC for some reason, horrible framerate, idk how to fix it.)

Katoki

All I did was exit the game normally, go back to play it awhile later, attempt to load the game and I got a message saying it was corrupted. I was also at the very end. This "service" needs to be done away with, and I'm sure it eventually will be gone. But it's a shame that a lot of good games had to suffer from it.

Poor From Software. Want to support... cannot support.

XOMTOR

Offline mode will hopefully save the day.

That's what I did for AA and AC. Everyone who ran the game with an online "Live" profile had to download an update to GFWL as soon as the game finished installing and many faced similar roadblocks as Salsa.

With an offline profile, I've never been prompted to download a single thing related to the GFWL client. Install game, choose "offline" profile, game launches. Unfortunately, the Harley DLC requires an online profile so I'm SOL. Whatever.

What do u recon the chance is that there trying to keep people on consoles for the ease of play factor? i wouldnt be surprised..... in all honesty it would make sense in a way if there planning to realse a Xbox 720 or watever the F the new outdated PoS thing will be

It's much more likely that the state of GFWL is a result of poor planning, inadequate resources and/or incompetence than the result of intentional sabotage. You can still blame their console business if you want because that's where most of their resources are allocated but I don't think it's a sinister conspiracy.

ImRight

Is it possible to use a 360 controller on the PC via a Play and Charge kit?

Dont think so dude i tried that a while ago, i never tried looking for a solution but its certainly not plug n play, pretty sure it only charges doesent send any information but i could be wrong....

If u wanna buy a controller may i recommend a Razer Onza, Pro edition if u have the Dosh... There amazing... and have an extra 2 macro/ bindable buttons

mackattk

Dont think so dude i tried that a while ago, i never tried looking for a solution but its certainly not plug n play, pretty sure it only charges doesent send any information but i could be wrong....

If u wanna buy a controller may i recommend a Razer Onza, Pro edition if u have the Dosh... There amazing... and have an extra 2 macro/ bindable buttons

As much as I love the onza, the build quality is a piece of shit. Within 6 months the right trigger stopped working. Unless they fixed it, I would go with the official xbox controller

Ark

28 hours poured into Borderlands vanilla content. Now to get started on the DLC.

If you haven't played Borderlands and you're even the slightest bit interested in RPG's, but this game before the sale ends. Please.

Really happy with my purchases so far:

Borderlands GOTY
Batman: Arkham Aslyum GOTY (total impulse purchase, just like when I bought Bioshock 1 & 2 last Halloween, haven't completed those yet either, yay for backlog)
Fallout new Vegas Ultimate Edition
Total War Megapack

£24 spent so far, not even the average cost of one new release PC game. Come at me Steam, come at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom