• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see Cyl jumping out so I think he accidentally ignited the fireworks while he was smoking his bong.

lol Cyl is honestly my favorite.

Sigh, I bet this is just a small problem and they'll rebuild their house.
The house is rebuilt, cooler than ever; the friendship sign emphasized, they'll be looking into the sunset with arms around each other.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm of the opinion dude is batshit insane and thinks he can rocket to the moon with the rockets he's holding.
That's also highly likely.

lol Cyl is honestly my favorite.

Sigh, I bet this is just a small problem and they'll rebuild their house.
The house is rebuilt, cooler than ever; the friendship sign emphasized, they'll be looking into the sunset with arms around each other.
Dude, spoiler that shit. :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Everything go boom!

pjAS4.gif

I'm not seeing any actual structural damage with all the fireworks going off.

You can see Cyl jumping out so I think he accidentally ignited the fireworks while he was smoking his bong.

I know you're joking anyway, but he was pretty obviously lighting the fuse with a magnifying glass yesterday.

i'm enjoying it. the combat is pretty decent when you start unlocking some abilities ...and the time rewind ability is pretty neat, too. making copies of yourself in order to team up on enemies is pretty fun and different.

so yes, try the demo out ...but the full game is better than the demo lets you believe, imo.

its hardly AAA material, but its a fun little action/adventure if you're a big fan of games like Heavenly Sword, God of War, etc.

kinda like a B movie that you know isn't fantastic, but its still fun to watch/play.

Man, I'm thinking about it, because I really like that kind of games (I love God of War, Heavenly Sword, Darksiders, etc.) so thank you for your advise bro!

I'm glad that Tribes thing is back, shall I buy it? I wanted to check the game out, is it worth this paid version?
Yes, it's worth it if you want to play the game. It unlocks a few weapons, two classes, and gives you 800 gold which on its own is $10. More importantly it unlocks VIP status for your account, meaning you get a permanent boost in XP.

These Indie bundles just don't make sense for most people, IMO. First of all, they all contain a game or two you probably already own, and maybe a crappy game nobody wants. Finally there is a game or two that is something you might be interested in. However, at $10 for the 1 or 2 games it's no longer worth getting the bundle. It reminds me of how the old record industry would put 2-3 good songs on a CD with 6 bad ones and then sell you the whole thing for $15.

Vossler

Any opinions on E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy? I'm a huge Deus Ex: HR fan, and have been reading that this is more along the lines of the original. What thinketh you of it gaf?

Trancos

Cmon guys it's only $2. I used to play it a lot when it was an Open source game on linux. It's a dead simple but fun MP arena shooter. Maybe people is bitching about being an open source project turned a commercial game? If that the case you can still download the community version (but I think it's not even the same engine anymore, it's been years since I last checked)

I wanted it, but literally everyone else on GAF says no. They've convinced me not to get it, even though it'd be under $2 per person for a 4-pack.

Katoki

These Indie bundles just don't make sense for most people, IMO. First of all, they all contain a game or two you probably already own, and maybe a crappy game nobody wants. Finally there is a game or two that is something you might be interested in. However, at $10 for the 1 or 2 games it's no longer worth getting the bundle. It reminds me of how the old record industry would put 2-3 good songs on a CD with 6 bad ones and then sell you the whole thing for $15.

If only everyone bought like me and basically skipped out on all the bundles.. that'll show em. Only problem is the bundles still make it into top selling items.

1-D_FTW

Which is why it's puzzling that Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet decided that's the route they wanted to go. I think they could have easily muscled Valve into getting one of those flash spots and putting a decent mark down on it. As is, they got a lousy 1.40 from every bundle sale. Big whoop.

If you don't want to follow the regular thread, you should at least subscribe to the Valve RSS feed. It went on sale for 4.99 a couple weeks before the sale began.

I'm of the opinion dude is batshit insane and thinks he can rocket to the moon with the rockets he's holding.

Ya I found out to little to late on that one haha.....sigh. Oh well we have a couple more days.

Damn what to do? I want Blades of Time, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Bionic Commando (too bad that it doesn't have a discount), the big problem is that I really really want Prototype 2 because the offer prototype 1 and the Radnet DLC, so what can I do?

Koroviev

4 is best, but it's really easy to find public games. I almost always play public games with strangers, and like I said I've never had much problem with the co-op games (although it's a multiplayer game so there's never a guarantee).

The campaigns are short so just start out on easy or normal your first time and you should be fine.

You can get by with less. A lot of the time I can complete entire campaigns without dying once on Advanced playing solo. As long as you're not playing Expert, it's not that difficult. Even with just another person you should have a lot of fun with co-op.

The game will always have 4 characters, if there are less than 4 players the remaining slots will be filled by bots.

Wow, thank you for all of the responses!

Anyway, I think I'd be willing to give it a try if someone is hosting a 4-pack.

Krilekk

Banned
Q.U.B.E. was fun for quite a while. Then, towards the end, I came across those magnet/white cube puzzles. Holy shit, what were they thinking? Stopped right there and never looked back. Guess I wasn't the only one either.

Haha, I'm stuck in that room right now.

Cmon guys it's only $2. I used to play it a lot when it was an Open source game on linux. It's a dead simple but fun MP arena shooter. Maybe people is bitching about being an open source project turned a comercial game? If that the case you can still download the community version (but I think it's not even the same engine anymore, it's been years since I last checked)
It has absolutely no relation to the open source game other than the name. It's a multiplayer-only game where the community is dead, therefore it's not worthwhile. Go play Quake Live, UT2004 or even Xonotic, which is the successor to Open Source!Nexuiz.

Enco

Half Life 3!!
I'm expecting nothing less now.

The final day is here. Everyone is waiting for the last set of dailies. The time comes. You refresh. Instead of a load of games, you see a single empty grey box. It's loading. The game is.. Half Life 3.

20% off the pre-order. Releases Christmas.

Koroviev

Damn what to do? I want Blades of Time, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Bionic Commando (too bad that it doesn't have a discount), the big problem is that I really really want Prototype 2 because the offer prototype 1 and the Radnet DLC, so what can I do?

Prototype 2 isn't being featured, so you shouldn't buy it. However, I'm pretty sure you should get Ys Oath.

feel

The way Cyl is jumping while holding some fireworks himself is awesome.

So, Steam doesn't let you buy a 4-pack of a game if you already own it? That's ridiculous.
It's annoying, but sort of understandable, to discourage people looking to profit from buying a ton of very cheap copies fast and easy and then reselling.

Oy, that doesn't sound very fun :\
I never touch versus. I just play campaign with friends, one of my favorite games ever and if it was up to me the Versus would be cut on the next game to make the campaigns even better.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy 4 Pack

Who wants in?
Dammit, bought it like one hour ago and didn't realize there was a fourpack, could've saved like a dollar!

Kuroyume

Banned
The only problem with Nexuiz that I can see would be lack of a community. With so many other F2P fps on Steam and other more attention grabbing shooters I'm hesistant to get it even for $2. $2 could go to another indie game.

The final day is here. Everyone is waiting for the last set of dailies. The time comes. You refresh. Instead of a load of games, you see a single empty grey box. It's loading. The game is.. Half Life 3.

Why do you do this to yourself lol....

Esch

Banned

your fanfiction has me rock hard

sadly it will never come to pass

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please let it be any goooooooood

Jak140

Honestly if you like multiplayer FPS, you could buy L4D2 and the Tribes: Ascend starter pack and not have to buy another game for a year or 2. (Though you probably will, but they will sit unplayed in your library while you go back to L4D2 and Tribes). Word of warning, though, you will need to play L4D2 for at least 200-300 hrs before people stop considering you a complete noob in competitive modes (Versus and Scavenge - I would completely avoid those modes until you have a pretty good feel for the game, or unless you are playing with a full team of friends). Tribes is a lot more friendly to new players.

Koroviev

I never touch versus. I just play campaign with friends, one of my favorite games ever and if it was up to me the Versus would be cut on the next game to make the campaigns even better.

Okay, think I'll bite. Anyone still interested in a 4-pack? What does hosting entail?

Megasoum

Banned
I remember that Defense Grid: Awekening was on sale at some point earlier this week. Was it a daily, a flash or a community vote? I missed it and I really want to buy it.

jarosh

I beat it last night, you're right at the end. Are you on the first one or the second one? The second one wasn't hard once I realized I could
"trap" two of the cubes while moving the other two cubes
. The only thing I looked up online was the last achievement because I had no idea where it was. All in all it took me about 3.5 hours for the whole game.

I stopped at the first one after messing with the buttons for way too long, then looked up that section on Youtube. It's just trial and error of the worst order. Sure, there's something approaching a "proper solution", but it's all so cumbersome and inelegant, especially with the constant need to compensate and to stop-and-go etc. No wonder there's a big fat reset button right above the puzzle area.

Those were actually my favorite puzzles. If you beat those its all downhill from there. Keep at it.

I watched the rest on Youtube. How could those be your favorite puzzles though? Mechanically they're dreadfully conservative and they make very little use of what made the earlier cube/glove puzzles unique. They seem to belong more into the world of casual 2d puzzlers and would in fact be more at home there period. They're just needlessly complex point-and-click trial-and-error brain teasers. The first person perspective, the narrative framework and the 3d level design along with the unpredictable physics engine are just decorative clutter. This actually applies to quite a few of the earlier puzzles as well, but at least those were often quite clever and didn't rely on tedious trial-and-error manipulation of buttons and frequent (ab)use of an oversized reset button.

Well, I'm more interested in the co-op. Do you need to have four people, or can you get by with less?

Four people is the best, cause the bots can be annoying at times. I think the co-op community is pretty good. I would recommend to try out one map on single player, so that you know how the game works. For example you can revive other people, heal them with your own medkit and give them other healing items. Try to help out the rest as much as you can and listen to what they say. If you keep all the healing items to yourself while someone else is hurt, people will get annoyed. You wont get kicked if you run off and get yourself in trouble sometimes. However if you keep making mistakes and do not seem to listen, you will probably get kicked.

For public VS, stay away until you have some experience with the game. Even then it's messy. With friends it's different of course :)

Not everyone has been through a Steam sale, and those people are the most likely to have few or none of the indie games. Whereas even if I could pick and choose the 5 games I want from all of the bundles I'd still be unable to come up with two complete bundles, simply because I've been through so many sales.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So, Steam doesn't let you buy a 4-pack of a game if you already own it? That's ridiculous.

I just learned this. I was the buyer and I tried to get someone to gift it to me so I can hold on to it for a friend and it wouldn't let me. Had to refund it. I guess I learned the hard way.

Is E.Y.E. any good? Seems cheap enough

They're still pretty great for new Steam users. Not quite as awesome as the past 5 games for $5 bundles, but still good deals with some really solid games.

I'm in the same boat as you and already own something from most of these, but there are a couple I would have easily picked up if I didn't own any of the games already.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Started up Hard Reset last night and man, I am not good at that game. Died once on the first level and a fair bit more on the next two levels.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I stopped at the first one after messing with the buttons for way too long, then looked up that section on Youtube. It's just trial and error of the worst order. Sure, there's something approaching a "proper solution", but it's all so cumbersome and inelegant, especially with the constant need to compensate and to stop-and-go etc. No wonder there's a big fat reset button right above the puzzle area.
I didn't approach it as trial and error once I noticed
the smaller blocks moved faster than the larger ones and that would create the spacing I needed
. Once I saw that I worked it out backwards in my head and then did it easily.

dani_dc

I remember that Defense Grid: Awekening was on sale at some point earlier this week. Was it a daily, a flash or a community vote? I missed it and I really want to buy it.

The game hasn't been feature during the sale, it was however 75% off as a daily a few days before the sale started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom