• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak140

The reason L4D2 competitive modes (but not the co-op modes) are so unfriendly to newcomers is because one poor player can very easily lose the game for the whole team and full games can often last 1-2hrs. It's particularly annoying when the new player doesn't have any idea what they are doing and runs off or attacks on their own and doesn't listen or communicate. The new player is just trying to have fun, but what they are doing is inadvertently trolling the rest of their team, hence rage kicks.

I just learned this. I was the buyer and I tried to get someone to gift it to me so I can hold on to it for a friend and it wouldn't let me. Had to refund it. I guess I learned the hard way.

Is E.Y.E. any good? Seems cheap enough
Hey Wario, I can get you L4D2. I don't have either lol. Are there others interested in a L4D2 4 pack?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Oh man, I was hoping they would be putting the older Fallouts up for sale when they did the newer ones, when you can get FO3:GOTY or NV for £3.49-74 I can't convince myself to get the older ones for around the same price.

TGMIII

Cmon guys it's only $2. I used to play it a lot when it was an Open source game on linux. It's a dead simple but fun MP arena shooter. Maybe people is bitching about being an open source project turned a commercial game? If that the case you can still download the community version (but I think it's not even the same engine anymore, it's been years since I last checked)

The nexuiz you played on linux and the nexuiz that's on steam are two COMPLETELY different games. They just share the same name, or did until they took the license.

Trust me when I say this do not buy nexuiz. The single thing it has going for it is that it looks nice but other than that its unoptimized and online is a lag fest due to netcode issues, people will literally be warping all over the map. There's no form of momentum in movement either, like strafe jumping, last time I looked the devs said they would possibly look into it and the maps in the game are horrible. As a DM shooter there's better out there, even for free quake live & warsow. You might get an hour out of it and then you'll never go back to it because there's no reason to. Online is dead the last time I played.

The only one thing I'll say is that this is coming from someone who played quake competitively so I guess I would be judging it harsher than some people would be.

Branson

The reason L4D2 competitive modes (but not the co-op modes) are so unfriendly to newcomers is because one poor player can very easily lose the game for the whole team and full games can often last 1-2hrs. It's particularly annoying when the new player doesn't have any idea what they are doing and runs off or attacks on their own and doesn't listen or communicate. The new player is just trying to have fun, but what they are doing is inadvertently trolling the rest of their team, hence rage kicks.

First l4d2 competitive game I played I got kicked because I went left instead of right. Never played those modes again.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Keep moving and combo between your guns when needed..

Mostly just the enclosed areas that are getting me. Get attacked from both sides and go down real quick. I don't feel like it's actually all that hard of a game, I feel like there's just something that is not clicking for me yet.

I've heard the game can be REAL hard if you don't buy the right upgrades; I went straight for both of the grenade launchers, was that a bad idea? Think I remember the shotgun having a stun upgrade, seems like that could be useful.

I bought that Tribes starter pack a few days ago and it is my most played games since the sale started, besides SSFIV AE. Tribes is a lot of fun, can't see myself spending much more money on it though. Is anything worth buying instead of just grinding?

Which is why it's puzzling that Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet decided that's the route they wanted to go. I think they could have easily muscled Valve into getting one of those flash spots and putting a decent mark down on it. As is, they got a lousy 1.40 from every bundle sale. Big whoop.

ITSP is on my wishlist but I won't be buying it this sale. $8.99 is still too much and I certainly wasn't going to spend $9.99 on the pack when I didn't want or need anything else in the bundle it was in. So they won't be making any money from me at this point. As you say, a $4.99 flash sale would be better for them and many of us.

Not everyone has been through a Steam sale, and those people are the most likely to have few or none of the indie games.

Yes, I understand that completely. However, I find the way the bundles are allocated to be inconvenient. It would make more sense to bundle the newer games together (even at a higher cost) than to lump old/new games in these $10 bundles. They should have cheaper bundles with old games most everyone has for the new users, and then more expensive bundles for those of us who are only missing the newer games. That way the new users get both and us old timers can pick up bundles that are more inline with what we need without duplicating things. It's just not customer friendly as-is and rubs me the wrong way.

I don't feel entitled, they can charge what they want, and I won't buy. Besides, I'm sure there will be a pay-what-you-want bundle with these games within the next few months where the pricing can be made more amenable.

Is it worth owning both Left 4 Dead games? I bought the second when it won the Community vote and I've been having a blast, but wasn't sure if it was made obsolete.

Dipswitch

So, I see Fallout 3: GOTY is on sale for $4.99 again. I own it on 360 already, but never got around to playing it, so tempted to grab it again.

What do they mean by "not optimized for Windows 7" though? Does it run like garbage or what?

Must resist buying Alan Wake... just bought Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3 which should last me awhile. I even have a Batman:AC key that I got when I built my PC. @_@

Koroviev

Is it worth owning both Left 4 Dead games? I bought the second when it won the Community vote and I've been having a blast, but wasn't sure if it was made obsolete.

Not from what I've heard.

So, I see Fallout 3: GOTY is on sale for $4.99 again. I own it on 360 already, but never got around to playing it, so tempted to grab it again.

What do they mean by "not optimized for Windows 7" though? Does it run like garbage or what?

No, to paraphrase another poster, it was simply released before Windows 7 was around. It *does* have GFWL, which can be patched out.

First l4d2 competitive game I played I got kicked because I went left instead of right. Never played those modes again.

People tend too kick way too quickly, but such a miscoordination can lose you the game. If you went left when the rest all decided they would go left, the infected team had an opportunity to do loads of damage. And some spots are just lethal, if one thing goes wrong your team could get (almost) wiped easily.

Nevertheless, the VS mode is great if you have nice teams.

Dipswitch

No, to paraphrase another poster, it was simply released before Windows 7 was around. It *does* have GFWL, which can be patched out.

Ah. Odd that they call Windows 7 out specifically, but if it doesn't really matter, I'm gonna grab it. GFWL doesn't bother me personally.

blowred

Banned
So how do F2P games actually work if no one gives them any money?

I don't have a problem with devs being paid but it shows people are willing to pay for a booster pack, other developers could see this as "huh these people are willing to pay for a booster pack, lets not make a proper game, lets monotize everything instead!"

Do you really want a F2P future? REALLY?

Fireblend

Banned
Must resist buying Alan Wake... just bought Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3 which should last me awhile. I even have a Batman:AC key that I got when I built my PC. @_@

If you can afford it, go for it. I've been recommending this game all day as I swore I would if it appeared as a sale again, after playing it for a few hours. The atmosphere is top notch, the episodic structure is brilliant and although I can see how some people may think the mechanics become repetitive eventually, I still think the lightplay is a pretty neat concept and I'm having lots of fun with it, and I hear American Nightmare fixes those issues.

Bri

One good(?) thing about the euro crisis is that we non-euro countries get cheaper games from Steam, always something in exchange for paying greeks billions so they can retire at the age of 40. Cheers! :€

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't have a problem with devs being paid but it shows people are willing to pay for a booster pack, other developers could see this as "huh these people are willing to pay for a booster pack, lets not make a proper game, lets monotize everything instead!"

That's actually happened. Hundreds of times. We are already there. A Tribes booster pack is not going to change that. But keep fucking that chicken.

So how do F2P games actually work if no one gives them any money?

Lots of people give them money. F2P is an incredibly profitable model. Monthly subs is actually worse for many MMOs if the subscriber base is small in terms of profits. The most profitable MMOs not named WoW are all F2P. Maplestory pulls in unbelievable amounts of money, so much so that the publisher has enough money to buy EA.

You're right, this could set a dangerous precedent!

jgminto

I just started playing Dragon Age Origins. Any mods that are recommended? I think I saw some suggestions earlier in the thread.

Miker

People are willing to pay because it's good value for what it is. For $5, they have a lot more options opened up to them without needing to put in more time. I don't mind so called "monotizing" games when the balance is acceptable and the progression isn't painfully slow for non-paying players.

And I wouldn't mind a F2P future at all, so long as it's for multiplayer games and it's handled well.

By the way, I saw somewhere that you can buy multiple copies of the Tribes starter pack if you create a new Steam account and launch it from there or some voodoo. It's by far the cheapest way to buy gold for your account thus far. I can scrounge up the link if someone wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom